Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My husband and son collect comics, and I collect stamps. Especially wooden ones. I love my stamps, and while I enjoy purchasing new ones, I also adore finding good used ones at yard sales and store discount baskets. Nothing makes me more excited than the yearly yard sale at my favorite craft store, because there will be dozens of people selling old stamps for $1 and I'll go home with a new pile. I use some, don't use others- I have no guilt. My life is defined by family obligations, and while others get to cruise and do Disney, I'm stuck here. We all find our joy where we can. Rubber stamps make me feel very rich, creative, and they make me happy. What other reasons can there be?!
-c
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Why Do I Buy Stamps?

Because they are there! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I buy stamps because I love them, they are classic in style and therefore quite versatile. I don't get tired of them and actually enjoy finding how many different cards I can design using the same image. I always pick a theme each month for all the birthdays and other occasions and use the stamps I have that go with that theme. Recently I limited myself to one stamp. (It was a two-step stamp, so that meant I could use each alone or together.) Even though I had 8 different cards, I hardly scratched the surface of the ideas I envisioned. I always check my stash when encountering an interesting stamp to see if I have something similar. I also carve my own stamps, so can often do that for an image I might use rarely,need more of for a particular project, or don't want to purchase due to price. Stamps I have that were for an occasion, were requested by the purchaser of the cards I created (wedding invites, etc.), and since I was allowed to keep the stamps, have even found I use them for other things in many cases. Must admit, though in the early days, I did want everything I saw!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

First, I have to really love the image, then I have to picture how I would use it. Sometimes you will find uses you don't anticipate, but usually the image has to inspire me somehow.

I first started my stamps by collecting Changito the monkey. I just liked him, and there are many ways to use him. I get lots of positive feedback from people that get my cards with the "little monkeys". Now I joined a Stampin' Up group, and am adding some sentiment stamps so I don't have to print them all on the computer or cut from Cricut. I did get hooked on the roller stamps, and I haven't used all those YET.

I do impose a ban on buying more of any craft stuff when I really don't need more, unless it's a clearance price or very special item. I have lots of craft supplies, of many types!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 04:17 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post

I only purchase stamps I can hold in my hand first. I could never purchase stamps over the internet.

p.s. To the poster below who does draw instead of stamping at times. I envy you. I only wish I could draw a symetric square.

I met a 97 year old man in the park one day who I showed a card I had created. He said I cheated since I didn't draw the image. I understood his point but realize he didn't understand modern technology. Then I learned the main was an artist. So he had a right to say what he did, I felt.
I used to purchase stamps on the Internet all the time. I have some beautiful sets. Now, I buy at store too. I need to check everything on the stamp before buying it. I have purchased several stamps that just do not ink or print correctly. I want to be able to return those stamps. I do occasionally purchase a stamp set on the Internet.

I think that sometimes I am cheating by not drawing. As an artist I fight with that. I love to draw. I enjoy mixing both mediums in my work. A lot of artists are doing so nowadays. Plus, it's easier to emboss a stamp than a drawing.

Last edited by lylacfey; 08-18-2011 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: Mistakes from a migraine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 05:10 AM   #46  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I used to buy because I loved th image but I learned over time that because I love a stamp doesn't mean I'll create something I really like. I also bought stamps to challenge myself to try a different style but I never really like them so they were rarely used. I sold off most of the stamps I don't use and now I buy an image because I know it fits my style. I rarely buy for a specific use as I prefer to have stamps I'll use several times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #47  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great thread! Everyone's posts are very interesting.
I would agree with most all of you. I buy what I need, what I will use, what fits my style and what will work with what I already have. I need to add that the price of the stamps and my current budget are the final determining factors.

For example, I always see a certain company's sets that I like but, at $40 a set, I've never bought them. At that price I feel I need to love every stamp in the set and I don't. Today, I read that the price of Flourishes' sets are increasing this month. Even though my budget is tight this month (back to school supplies) I'm going to find some spare change to grab a couple of the $16 sets before the price increase! I love Flourishes!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to be able to use it for more than one thing...I don't like to be backed into a corner by a stamp!! ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #49  
Glitter Queen

I only said I need them..... I never said I was going to use them. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

I seem to just have to have it policy!! Us girls that get together once a month have been talking about bringing a set to our stamp and chat and trade with someone's set. Then next time we get together we have made cards out of their set! Would give us some idea what to do with the set! But of course have not done that yet! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #51  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlayView Post
I seem to just have to have it policy!! Us girls that get together once a month have been talking about bringing a set to our stamp and chat and trade with someone's set. Then next time we get together we have made cards out of their set! Would give us some idea what to do with the set! But of course have not done that yet! :(
Sounds like a great idea. Is Indiana and Illinois close enough to be able to share back and forth??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #52  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

My things to consider--

Do I have something similar already?
Will I use it more than once?
How much does it cost?
Is it versatile--as in can it be used for many occasions/projects?

But if it is something for a boy/man I may pick it up anyways since I have so few of them.

Sadly my budget doesn't allow me to buy everything I want so I have to limit myself. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #53  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts

Cost is always a factor for me also. Plus, I prefer clear stamps, although, I do collect a few rubber ones too. I seem to have a weakness for cat stamps and Nativity stamps. They are my faves!!! I also like holiday, sentiments, animals, and cute stamps. I have many I haven't inked yet, and I look foward to it. I have to watch that I don't buy too much that is "cutesy". I also consider if I have any digi stamps or other stamps that are similar, and how many times I might use it. I also think about how many I already have and if I have room to store it.
Reply With Quote Likes