Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do y'all do with your paper scraps?

What do y'all do with your paper scraps? I keep most of mine, especially if they are a decent size and easy color to coordinate with BUT...

I am over run with paper scraps! I am desperately trying to cut back and clear out the clutter but this could be useful clutter only I never use it and I hate storing it.

Any suggestions?

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's life!

The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I toss them! I use mostly 6x6 pads and when I use most of the sheet I really don't see much use in keeping small scraps. It take so much time to sort through them looking for something I may want to use so I don't bother.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there does come a point when you purge... last summer I had a day like that. I sat in the middle of the floor and made piles.

First I kept big ziplocks of basic 10 colors-eg scraps of blue of every shade from light to dark, all large enough to use as a mat layer or at least a punch. Those bags I keep stood up and open in a basket on a shelf. Because I am somewhat a**l about organizing, they are arranged in the roygbiv rainbow with black, white/cream and metallics on the end.

I have useable sheets of patterened in a 12 x 12 x 4 rubbermaid type thing. I don't use too much, I use mostly solids.

I keep Christmas related patterned in a file beside the packages of solid cardstock.

As I was purging, I kept a bag of scraps that I knew the kindergarten craft table would love and took a bunch in to school.

It works for me now and I don't use a whole piece of cardstock very often; I go to my scraps first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #4  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My friend (Scrapjanny) recently posted a video on her blog about using scraps to make mini notepads. Here's the link to that specific post:

My Crafty Life: Use Your Scraps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
there does come a point when you purge... last summer I had a day like that. I sat in the middle of the floor and made piles.

First I kept big ziplocks of basic 10 colors-eg scraps of blue of every shade from light to dark, all large enough to use as a mat layer or at least a punch. Those bags I keep stood up and open in a basket on a shelf. Because I am somewhat a**l about organizing, they are arranged in the roygbiv rainbow with black, white/cream and metallics on the end.

I have useable sheets of patterened in a 12 x 12 x 4 rubbermaid type thing. I don't use too much, I use mostly solids.

I keep Christmas related patterned in a file beside the packages of solid cardstock.

As I was purging, I kept a bag of scraps that I knew the kindergarten craft table would love and took a bunch in to school.

It works for me now and I don't use a whole piece of cardstock very often; I go to my scraps first.
Same here. I spread everything out on the bed. Got Big Zip lock bags, organized by colors (reds, oranges, greens...) with no sub organization in order to keep it simple (I admit that I can easily tell the difference between Wild Wassabi, Kiwi Kiss, and Old Olive at a glance, etc.). Then I lined them up, all standing in a tote basket, the nice fabric kind of 'basket'. So they stay open and I can grab a bag and put it back easily. I can also throw a scrap in there when I need to.

Then I have a smaller zip lock (quart size) and I keep the littlest scraps like 2"x4" all in there, all colors mixed together, and in the front of my basket.

I took the really old colors and non SU stuff and punched out stuff and put it in a big bag. At my last stamping event I offered a bag of scraps "free to good home" and one of my friends took the whole bag full! She was thrilled and so was I.

I've had this system for about a year and it's still working ... and I'm a bit of a mess. It is the only scrap system that works for me bc I am just not going to maintain anything difficult.

When it comes to dealing with scraps, know thyself. What will you do or not do. For me, I know I'm not going take the time to find the "color group" or specific color bag, and I know I'm not going to go to the file with the whole sheets in it. Some folks are super organized and will keep that up. You'll find a way that works to your style!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Tina.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
My friend (Scrapjanny) recently posted a video on her blog about using scraps to make mini notepads. Here's the link to that specific post:

My Crafty Life: Use Your Scraps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use it until most of it is gone. and then I start over. I only save 3x3 and over.

Otherwise you will end of drowning in it!!!

I also cut my 12x12 down to 8x8 or 6x6. and store that way. A lot less waste this way.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I just started to make cards and other papercrafts and have a small collection of scraps at the moment. I find myself using the scraps to try out new techniques before I implement them .

Making notebooks is a neat idea.

Once i have enough scraps I might try to combine them as a collage for a card background. Especially if you can cut down the scraps into little triangles or squares.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I give them to my 4 year old - she loves them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the video of the mini notebooks. I may try that. I also like the idea of coming up with a size like 3 x 3 and not keeping anything smaller. I use to seperate scaps into baggies by color but never went into the baggies. If it is not right beside me in my paper bin, I tend not to use it. I'll probably use a combination of these ideas and appreciate everyone's input!

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's life!

The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

i just put them back in the folder, pretty much anything larger than 1/2 inch (i know, it is a sickness) you just never now when you might need just a snip of color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I save very few of them. Just way too much stuff to hold onto scraps of paper.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Default Scraps

I end up leaving them at my work area as I I create 7-8 projects, then I'll try to create with the pile of scraps. I find I get to create some different, intersesting, color combinations this way. As you can imagine my work is a mess most of the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #14  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My most successful method of using scraps is to keep them all mixed up in a basket/box (not too big or too deep) on my work area. If I needed to punch something or try a technique it was right there to reach into.

And since most of my colored cs is from one company, I mostly know the colors and could fairly easily pick out a specific color if needed. And it was quicker to check color combos too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

If a piece of solid cardstock is not big enough to mat a typical image or sentiment I'll use, I toss it. Or weird shapes. I don't keep them.

I put half sheets back in my paper storage. And then I have a little basket hanging by my worktable and put anything smaller in it and try to use it.

The basket is small so that it can't really get out of hand -- if it gets too packed (it hasn't yet) then I'll purge my less favorite colors or anything that snuck by the first time, usually if I did a fast cleanup.

I don't save a lot of patterned paper scraps -- only those "something special" patterns that I love the most!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I used to keep my scraps separate from my paper, in zip top envelopes, by neutral, cool and warm colors. That wasn't working for me.

Now I keep the scraps with the larger sheets of the same color. I find myself using them a lot more often and therefore not accumulating too many.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #17  
ch
Mad Swapper

Anything smaller than 1/4 sheet goes in a box for the grandkids, they love having their own box of stuff. I also add treasures to their box like old primas, jewels, stickers etc. that I no longer want. It works.
Larger scraps go in file folders, reds, greens, blues, neutrals etc. They sit right by my desk and I always check there first when making a card.
But, oft times the 'round file' is my friend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

If you cut them into Square then into Triangles the make great elements on pages, as photo corners.

I also used the bits of larger to make pages in my mini notebooks.

Forgot I make inches too. More great Elements for free.

How I sort mine is to keep a deep box and I tuck the scraps into it, if they are large enough to use, I keep like colours together and by having it on my desk reach for it first before I end up cutting into a larger piece.

I always use small 1cm and bigger stripes like ribbon on page. You may be shocked at just how effective such a small stripe when layered on another looks,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

i save some that are big enough and donate to kids ministry at church, some I toss if to small, others I try using cricut to cut out diecuts but if to lazy I just throw haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anything that is of usable size (punch size and larger) goes into a 12x12 scrap paper envelope for each colour family. I keep the patterned paper and solids of the same colours in the same envelopes - I don't separate the patterned papers out. If a pattern has more than one colour, I usually decide where it goes by the most predominant colour in the pattern. I always go to my scraps first to see what I can use before I cut into a new piece, but some how I have lots and lots of scraps. Maybe I'll get ambitious and make some "homemade" paper in the blender soon to get rid of some of the scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I sort my scraps in two piles - one for patterned papers, one for solids. Here's what I do with scraps when it gets to be too much:

---Sorted patterned papers by color/shade then sold at a consignment sale (ie scraps - shades of yellow)
---Gave to friends who love scraps as they then get colors/patterns they don't have
---Make serenity paper
---Give away on Freecycle

I also used to make punchies when I sold punchies on ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by demodarlaView Post
What do y'all do with your paper scraps? I keep most of mine, especially if they are a decent size and easy color to coordinate with BUT...

I am over run with paper scraps! I am desperately trying to cut back and clear out the clutter but this could be useful clutter only I never use it and I hate storing it.

Any suggestions?
What works for me for my solid colors is storing each color in it's own hanging file with a file folder in the hanging file also to hold the scraps for that color that way I always check the file folder first before cutting a full sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I keep all my scraps colour coded by ROY G BIV in an accordian file folder. I keep everything! That said, when my folder starts getting full, I make a point to make scrappy cards. Here's some samples:

Scrappy Christmas Tree
Let it Snow for really small punch bits
Baby Quilts
Bookcase Inspired - These used really tiny pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

I actually use a lot of my scraps to make cards. I have designated Wednesdays for posting cards made with scraps on my blog. When I get lots of little pieces I end up making cool looking collage type cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

If you never use it and hate storing it, THROW it away. You'd be surprised how liberating this is! I'll keep a scrap if it's large enough for a card front, otherwise it's tossed.
Reply With Quote Likes