Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #81  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have four. Two get a thumbs up, and two a thumbs down.

The Carl DC-210 is great for cutting multiples (it easily handles six or seven pieces of SU cardstock at a time). I also use this one when I need to take off a very small sliver of CS from a full-size sheet...something that I always have trouble with when using my Fiskars. This works better on the Carl, since it locks the cardstock in place. I've had this one for about six years, and have found it to be consistent and dependable.

Two Fiskars 12" sliding blade cutters--one "old style" that SU used to sell, and one of the style they currently sell. My overall rating for both would be a thumbs down. I agree with the pro's and cons listed by others here. Pro's: small, lightweight, portable, inexpensive, small increments on the ruler for easy measuring down to 1/16". Cons: on the old style, there's no measurement for 4-1/4. It's supposed to be right at the edge, but I find that difficult to line up. They fixed this on the newer version, but does anyone else have trouble hitting the 5-1/2 mark exactly? My least favorite thing about these two trimmers is that the paper has to hang over the edge and hover above the ruler for larger measurements, making it very difficult to line up exactly. And I also have the issue of cutting crooked at times...I believe this is due to the flexibility in the plastic blade guide, and the fact that the cardstock doesn't get locked in place, so it can shift during the cut--especially if you're trying to cut off a very narrow strip. It helps to apply gentle pressure either to the left or right all the way down (or up, if you push the blade away from you. I never got the hang of that myself.). Another con pointed out by others, and one I agree with, is that the blades wear out quickly. If I could find a replacement for these in the same size category with better accuracy, I'd get rid of them both. I'll have to read through all the reviews here and see what fits the bill.

My last one is the Creative Memories guillotine-style 6" trimmer. This one is extremely precise for cutting smaller pieces. I use it almost exclusively for cropping photos and making photo mats. I like that you can see exactly where you're cutting. There's a little "press" bar that you hold down to keep the photo or CS from moving. It's small and lightweight, so very portable. It also has a drawer on the side for storing photos. I like to put 20 or 30 4x6 photos in the drawer (which snaps shut, so it won't fall open in your bag) and take it with me to my daughter's skating lessons, to appointments, or wherever so I can crop during my wait time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #82  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoogaView Post
Yep, that's me too! I have the little Fiskars and just got sooo annoyed that it doesn't cut straight. Someday, I may get a Tonic but I have two young kidlets and no place to store...my dining room table is the 'craft table'. Good luck in your quest.
wish i d use my knife and mat more i dont know why i dont cause i have enough quilting rulers to last me a life time, only thing is my arms isnt very good...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #83  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Hi Lisa! I have a Tonic guillotine (12") and love it. Always get straight cuts, and it measures to 1/16" and has metric measurements, too. I also have a Creative Memories
6" trimmer that I like for smaller cuts. I will never buy a Fiskars cutter again - I could never get a straight (square) cut with the big rotary one or the sliding blade one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #84  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondie090277View Post
I'm a craft knife, quilters mat and quilting ruler kinda gal

ACCURACY! DUH.

Tell me why on earth I didn't think of that. I'm a QUILTER!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 AM   #85  
Stampin' Fool

For the big and serious cuts, I use the Dahle 550, a rotary cutter. Just got it recently and love how it cuts; evenly w/no burrs, and you can do multiple sheets of cardstock. I also have a Fiskars paper trimmer I can take to classes. Good luck with your decision....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 03:44 AM   #86  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnl96View Post
For the past year I've used the Making Memories12x12" Precision Trimmer. No jagged edges (ever), and the blade is self-sharpening, so no added expenses on replacement blades. I love it! Got mine at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon - worth every penny.
I have the making memories self sharpening one and love it too! I do my fiskars when I go somewhere to crop just cause it's smaller and easier to transport, but then I go back to the MM one.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #87  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Genesis. If you look back at old Genesis threads here at SCS, you'll find posts from me, wondering what a paper trimmer could possibly do that would be worth that kind of money. I finally bit the bullet and ordered one; I think it may have been as much to answer that question as anything else. It was worth every penny and more.

Mine has the edge light, and it's worth the extra price and the extra room it takes. This may have been the best crafting purchase I ever made.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #88  
Embossing Fanatic

After buying and trying TOO many paper cutters, I settled on the Tonic 12" and 6" guilliotine cutters and haven't regretted it for a moment. Straighter and sharper than anything else I've used. Worth every $.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #89  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I have had my Fiskers blade cutter for 10 years and really love it. I do have to replace blades, but that is not such a problem for me. (I get twice as much out of a blade by marking one corner of the plastic with a dot. I always cut the same way, so when that edge gets dull, I pop out the blade and turn it around so that I can use the other edge.) That brings me to the reason I get good, straight cuts with mine: Hands down, I am the only one I know in my group of stampers that pulls the arm out at the bottom right, positions the paper along the bottom edge ruler, and then slides the cutting blade from the top down. This pushes the paper up against the bottom lip and keeps it from going wonky. Others I know flip the cutter the opposite way so that the arm extends from the top right and then they still pull the blade down. This way the paper is being pulled away from the edge and has no resistance to slide sideways. I can't seem to convince anyone to do it the other way. Another thing I like about my Fiskers is that it has the scoring tool (or I can use a stylus) and I have not found the need for an expensive Score Pal. Also, I can see exactly where it is cutting, so can cut off very small sections of a very thin strip of paper (which I can't do on my guillotine style one). That being said, I wish the 4 1/4" was an actual mark rather than just the end of the frame.
Oh my goodness! You are the only other person I've heard of who cuts on the purple Fiskars like I do! It works great, doesn't it?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #90  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilma bassView Post
Oh my goodness! You are the only other person I've heard of who cuts on the purple Fiskars like I do! It works great, doesn't it?
Yes it does. Glad there is someone else out there that does it like me. Was beginning to think I was alone, but at least happy with my cutter. Thanks for reassuring me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #91  
Matboard Maniac

Interesting to read all the views.

I have a Fiskars rotary trimmer with a triple track and it cuts straight for me; it's also easy to position paper and see exactly where you are cutting - good for cards like the tri shutter card - and it scores accurately as well. The blade can tend to get blunt from cutting certain types of paper like mulberry or handmade. I don't make a huge amount of cards and I'm quite happy with it.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2010, 01:07 AM   #92  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa laraView Post
Help? I am looking for a new paper trimmer and am wondering what you all use and why! Thanks you so much for your input.
I have Light weight and portable Paper Trimmer which is perfect for trimming multiple sheets of paper, card stock, construction paper, light cardboard, etc. I got it from an online store. Not brand item, I am sure. Don't know if it's match your requirement.
Reply With Quote Likes