Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 811 Likes on 332 Posts
Default We've talked about trends but...

what about trends in companies? Do you think various stamp companies are trendy right now?

For example, Magenta, Judi Kins and Stampers' Annonymous. I can't remember them being mentioned on SCS. Are they not "in" with our members or less popular???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooooo I LOVE Stampers Anonymous! I think Magenta and Judi Kins have more limited followings because they are harder to find... but all of them are great companies! Also... I've noticed that the artsy stamp companies just aren't as popular with SCS right now. It's a shame bc they offer some really great stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a ton of Stampers Anonymous stamps..love Tim Holtz and his style. I think it is really such a personal preference thing. I love Claudine Hellmuth stamps as well. I don't have any Judi Kins stamps as I don't run across them in my travels, but LOVE Judi Kins products that I use in my stamping... I kind of just use what I like regardless of trends as I learned early on when I bought stuff that were "trendy" and I don't really care for them so much...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Stampers' Anonymous and Magenta stamps! I had to google Juki Kins; I'd heard of them before but didn't know what their stamps looked like. There are soooooooo many stamp companies that are not mentioned regularly on this site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Magenta and Stampers Anonymous both have company galleries here so there must be enough people uploading projects with the relevant keywords to make that worthwhile. I think one thing with SA is that people tend to use the name of the sub brand, IYSWIM (so they say "Tim Holtz stamps" or "Studio 490 stamps" for example).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #6  

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaB29View Post
Also... I've noticed that the artsy stamp companies just aren't as popular with SCS right now.
That's what I was thinking.

Kind of sad to me as well, cause I love those companies' styles. I don't follow trends in stamp purchases either. I buy what I like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think any of those styles or companies are less popular just because they aren't talked about that much here....but then I haven't checked the nooks and crannies of the forums thoroughly for discussions of them either ;) . I assume you're referring to the most viewed areas - like General Stamping, Tools & Products, etc.

I love every one of the companies you mentioned - and then some! I love a variety of stamp styles.

There are also other forums out there where the members are particularly interested in these styles, and I'm guessing that's where people hang out ~ with those who have similar tastes.

SCS began as an SU forum and I think 'mainstream' stamping has become the primary interest here, in part as an extension of that. Gosh, it's really hard to think of terms to distinguish the various styles - because I'm an equal opportunity stamper, I don't usually make the distinction.

Possibly the addition of member companies here has influenced the subject matter as well.

As for the galleries, I haven't compared the number of uploads for these companies vs. others, but that doesn't figure in to having your company added to the company galleries. I requested the addition of my own company shortly after I started it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think the popular stamp companies are the ones that actively promote and maintain a blog and design team. The hype and new releases are what keeps them current.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find myself only buying from one company now, whereas I bought from several in the beginning. I do this because I like things to match and it does not seem that you can mix and match things from different companies. There is not a "standard" heart punch, for example, that you can use with several companies heart stamps. I can cut a scalloped square on my Cricut but it won't look the same as the scalloped square from SU that I want to "nest" with. A month ago if you had told me that, I would have thought you crazy...a scalloped square is a scalloped square! (I would have said...) I do like to LOOK AT Stampers Anonymous stuff but I can't seem to fit it into the cards that I know how to make right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara32caView Post
I think the popular stamp companies are the ones that actively promote and maintain a blog and design team. The hype and new releases are what keeps them current.

Barbara
Hmmm that's a thought. Judikins and Stampers Anonymous don't have design teams or blogs. However S. Anony. does have Tim Holtz lol. Magenta has a design team and they have always had regular new releases. They had a customer forum way back in the day before blogs were even around. Geeze... can you tell I'm a long time customer of Magenta? OMG you know what I have besides their stamps and books??? I have several of their VCR tapes! lol
We don't even a VCR anymore. (giggles)

This is a very interesting conversation, I enjoy hearing others' take on things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Hmmm that's a thought. Judikins and Stampers Anonymous don't have design teams or blogs. However S. Anony. does have Tim Holtz lol. Magenta has a design team and they have always had regular new releases. They had a customer forum way back in the day before blogs were even around. Geeze... can you tell I'm a long time customer of Magenta? OMG you know what I have besides their stamps and books??? I have several of their VCR tapes! lol
We don't even a VCR anymore. (giggles)

This is a very interesting conversation, I enjoy hearing others' take on things.
I love this post :mrgreen: You gave me a good chuckle with the VCR part!
(we still use ours sometimes! ha!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lawn Fawn is pretty popular right now. I also think the hot paper companies continue to be October Afternoon, Cosmo Cricket, and Crate Paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I think Lawn Fawn is pretty popular right now. I also think the hot paper companies continue to be October Afternoon, Cosmo Cricket, and Crate Paper.
Oh you're right about the paper companies too!

You know I think different companies are popular in Canada. For example, Magenta. I wonder if companies have a regional popularity in the States?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I think that if you checked out the ATC section of the gallery (and to a lesser extent the Tags one) you'd find a lot of the more artsy, less mainstream, companies are well represented. And I can think of stampers like One4Joy who use a wide variety of lesser-known stamps.
I like some of Judikins, but the only one I ever tried to buy turned out to be discontinued. And the shop I tried to get it from still have it listed, a year later - grrr.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

There definitely seems to be a bent on SCS towards trendier companies. Some companies seem to be popular simply because they are the hot trend at the moment, not because their products are better. I can think of at least 4 companies that were VERY poular on SCS but whose products really were not that remarkable- they've since quietly faded. Judikins, Stampers Anonymous, Magenta and others have been around for a while and have consistently had great images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I remember when I first started stamping and I bought a whole bunch of the dollar stamps from A.C. Moore, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby. The stamps that I got there made my cards look "tacky" I think. I just don't think I made the stamp "work" like other stampers did. I then decided that I would order stamps from SU! only because I could make my cards "work" for the stamps better. I think that's why some ladies prefer the more trendier companies. I think they must just prefer the trendier companies because it is easier to dream up a card with them. Other ladies can make those stamps look good, I just don't think I can. Just my little two cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #17  

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotthebug818View Post
I remember when I first started stamping and I bought a whole bunch of the dollar stamps from A.C. Moore, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby. The stamps that I got there made my cards look "tacky" I think. I just don't think I made the stamp "work" like other stampers did. I then decided that I would order stamps from SU! only because I could make my cards "work" for the stamps better. I think that's why some ladies prefer the more trendier companies. I think they must just prefer the trendier companies because it is easier to dream up a card with them. Other ladies can make those stamps look good, I just don't think I can. Just my little two cents!
You know, I think you 'hit the nail right on the head." That makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Likes