Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, Diane! You actually accomplished what I THOUGHT I was going to accomplish when I began scrapbooking 15 years ago.
I thought I was going to organize and scrapbook all of my photos and get those big boxes out of my closet. WRONG!
Although I have scrapped many scrapbooks, not all for me, I still have tons of photos unscrapped. And I've given up on scrapping them all. I just take too many photos.

I started as a scrapper .. started making cards to use up my scraps LOL! Now I have tons of stamps and love card making. I still do both, love both - but it's hard to beat ending an evening of crafting with 6 new cards...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
I was a card maker first, starting about 20 years ago. Then I noticed that all my photos that were in magnetic albums were starting to discolor so I took them all out and started scrapbooking them. There were photos going back almost 50 years and it took me over 2 years to get them scrapbooked. We used our dinning room table only for Thanksgiving dinner and I hated to put away the photos for that day!

Our daughter got married 7 years ago and I did a scrapbook for me of her wedding photos and when she saw it she wanted one too [originally she said she didn't want the photos scrapbooked].

My mother had a massive stroke 6 years ago and is now in a nursing home. My sister sent me 2 huge boxes of all the photos Mom had. There were photos going back to the early 1900's of grandparents; plus my dad was a amateur photographer who took photos for years and did his own enlarging, cropping, etc. I sorted all the photos, made copies when needed, and made "heritage type" albums for my mom, sister, daughter, 2 nephews and a niece.

I thought I was all done scrapbooking; we don't take many photos, 1 grown daughter & son-in-law and no grandkids. Then noticed that our professional wedding album was starting to have discolored photos. It was interesting that the album with 8 x 10 color photos was starting to fade but a smaller album containing the 4 x 6 color proofs was fine. So I took them all out and did a scrapbook of my 46 year old wedding photos. So much more fun to look at the photos now but I hope I never have to do another scrapbook again! From now on I only want to make cards!! Sorry for the long post.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed reading some of the stories of others, thanks for this forum.

In 1994 I was a new mom and went to a creative memories party (I was fortunate to discover scrapbooking when my first child was still a baby) - I was hooked instantly and thoroughly enjoyed scrapbooking my children's lives. As they got older, the amount of photos slowly declined and I found myself caught up on my scrapbooking. I still had creative juices flowing and needed to find an outlet for that so I turned to making cards, which I love doing and in about 2008, I adding stamping to my card making creations. The wonderful thing about this craft is you can't do anything wrong - what ever you create is your style - if you make a mistake you can always fix it by covering it with a flower or another piece of scrap paper, etc so take jump in and join the fun - if you have any questions, split coast is a wonderful place to find info & support.

I'm on my way to heaven, cause Jesus paved the way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #43  
Cardstock Collector

Default Card making start

I would like to share my story as to how I got started cardmaking. I have 4 dear friends that are very crafty, and I never thought I was crafty. While taking a trip together, they ambushed me and made me sit and do these different types of crafts, like Christmas ornaments and decorating gift cans. I was not a willing participant! They have a picture of me doing this and you can tell I was not very happy about it. Needless to say, I have found that I do indeed have a crafty side to me, and I now have a card making room of my own. We get together frequently to do cards, crafts, and crafting trips twice a year! Thank you KLACK girls for enriching my life in more ways than one! I love cardmaking!
Carole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #44  
Embossing Fanatic

I started out as a card maker and stamping. My dh (who is now passed) bought my first scrapping supplies when he saw a demo of Creating Memories while with me at a craft show. He was a woodcrafter and artist as a hobby and saw that scrappingbooking was definitely me. He loved my creative outlet and encouraged me to enjoy my craft. I was able to scrap many heritage pages before his death in 2004. I have since started a book of John in his memory for our grandchildren who were 6 and 4 and 6wks old when he passed. Paper crafting has been my saving grace besides My Savior since his passing. It has filled many hrs with wonderful friends, places to see and keeping wonderful memories alive as well as being able to give gifts of love for others to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #45  
Cardstock Collector

Was invited to a SU party by Mary Brown years ago and knew after watching the demo I was hooked. By nature a card maker but have done several scrapbooks. I guess my basic style is clean and simple but like to use dye cuts and scenic stamping. The stamper that I admire is Becca @ Amazing Paper Grace but I do not have her talent. I love looking at all of the talented crafters on this site and I am constantly learning from each and everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

OMG, what a fun thread! I started out as a die-hard scrapbooker. I even hosted a scrapbook challenge here on SCS for a couple of years. Then in 2011 I got the "card fever". I've not been able to get back to my scrappin' since and I have to do a Military Career scrapbook for my boyfriend's Dad. That is going to be so hard. When I did scrapbook I like to do the frilly girly pages with all the embellishments and so forth and this is going to have to be the clean graphic style. So not me.

I do see how others like the instant gratification of the card. It's much quicker than a 12x12 page, but do you know it took me forever to adapt to the smaller canvas? My first cards were UGLY! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i have only ever made cards but, like a lot of cardmakers i'm sure, i have bought lots of scrapbooking supplies for when i do start scrapbooking.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #48  
Embossing Fanatic

Cards only! I've been through oil painting, knitting, needlepoint, crewel, cross-stitch, beading, and more, I'm sure. But cardmaking is the only one I continue and reap the greatest satisfaction.
My sister is a super-talented scrapbooker and I used to tease her about her obsession with scrapping and how she could spend hours in the local AC Moore. So I decided to make a birthday card for her * as a joke *! I had zero knowledge of techniques or supplies but I slapped some DP, glitter, and a stamp together for her birthday card. I was amazed at the enjoyment it gave me. So the joke was on me!
Now, years later, I am addicted to cardmaking and every technique I can find related to it. I have a to-die-for craft room but so many supplies it can barely contain them all. I find I'm a "purist" in that I stamp and color rather than use DP and stickers. It is a creative outlet I cannot imagine ever giving up. (Never done a scrapbook, though. Yeah craftjunkiesc!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Scrapper --- until I realized that I was reluctant to take pictures at events because I knew I would need to scrapbook them (I do digital scrapbooking now.) Cards became my tactile/ frou-frou fix, without having to think up any journaling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I was actually a decorative/tole painter before I was a cardmaker but use a lot of the skills I learned from my many years of lessons to help me with my cardmaking. I always said I would never do scrapbooking as it never "grabbed" my attention, but somehow I became very interested when I saw some fab layouts last year at my LSS and started scrapping just last November. I thought the transition from cardmaking would be easy but are finding it quite a challenge. I do love the OTP projects and probably enjoy those more than scrapping just a page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 484 Likes on 359 Posts

Cards only! I have no interest in scrap-booking.

I started because I had received some store-bought Christmas cards that were too pretty to throw in the recycling so I bought some cheap blank cards from Michaels, cut up the store-bought cards, and layered them on the blanks.

Then I needed a "Merry Christmas" stamp so bought one stamp and one inkpad. That was about 8 years ago and now I have way too many stamps and inkpads, and only occasionally do I bother recycling a store-bought card. I'm totally hooked on making my own cards!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #52  
Glitter Queen

I started out as cardmaker after being invited to a SU party many years ago. I only went because my friend needed another warm body at the party for one of the projects. The card I made actually looked pretty good! And the rest is history as they say. I've never had an interest in scrapping and don't think I ever will.

momsie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeresaLynnView Post
I started out as a card maker and stamping. My dh (who is now passed) bought my first scrapping supplies when he saw a demo of Creating Memories while with me at a craft show. He was a woodcrafter and artist as a hobby and saw that scrappingbooking was definitely me. He loved my creative outlet and encouraged me to enjoy my craft. I was able to scrap many heritage pages before his death in 2004.
How blessed you were to have a man in your life who understood and encouraged your creativity! Many crafters are not so lucky.

And how wonderful that you are able to pass on his legacy to your grandchildren with the creativity you've nurtured these this past decade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #54  
Compulsive Stamper

I was first a scrapper. When my sister had her son in 2004 I started collecting the photos and making scrapbook pages with them. But at that time I don't even remember ever even going to a scrapbook store except a very small store called The Rag Shop. (LOL, Does anyone even remember those stores?)
Anyways,I didn't begin to really get into it (like go on messageboards and want different brands) until 2009. That's when I started card making and then started stamping last year. Card making for me is so much easier than LOs. But I am trying to get back into making LOs because I did enjoy making them, they are just a bit more difficult for me to come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither. I started out using stamps to decorate and to make my own wrapping paper and gift tags. The first thing I ever stamped was a star border in my bathroom.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #56  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I started way back when I was selling Pampered Chef! My director invited me to a party her relative was having, 1999-2000. (I wanted to stop selling Pampered Chef & switch to SU! But, I stuck with Pampered Chef!) Anyhow, I started with making Thank You cards for my Customers! It kinda fell by the way side for awhile---I stopped selling Pamper Chef etc. Then picked it up only about 6 years ago. But, I STILL make those cards to send to my friends! I've ALWAYS been into art & just enjoy creating them to bless my friends! It's "cheaper" than a phone call, sometimes you can't get off the phone! Timing isn't always good with phone calls! And I can hone a skill & use my craft as an outlet too! AND my friends receive a little SURPRISE in the mail! I've found they seem to arrive JUST WHEN NEEDED TOO! So, it turns out Cards are a Win/Win for all !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #57  
Kookie Creator

Neither...I began entering sweepstakes back in the '70's (when postage was 10 cents!). Then I saw an ad for The Envelope Mill (which comprised of 3 plastic envelope templates) back in the '90s. Thus I could make some eye-catching envelopes to enter (I know of 2 that actually won). I finally got cable TV and started watching Carol Duvall and the cards and boxes replaced the sweeps entries (too pricey). So, I evolved into a cardmaker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

I love both ... I was resistant to scrapping at first, but that's the passion.I do tend to make more cards than scrapping these days ... Need to get back to scrapping again ... I have lost my way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #59  
Glitter Queen

Smile MartiCards

Ten years ago when my youngest son died I heard from a Grief Support Group that Scrapbooking was a good way to work through it. It DID work. It was so healing to go through his pictures, baby book, etc. Then when I had made so many scrapbooks for everyone I focused on card making.

MartiCards
Check out My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #60  
Gabfest Goddess

I was a scrapbooker first. I scrapbooked for a number of years before I started stamping and cardmaking. I enjoy doing both. I kind of let scrapbooking sit on the back burner for a few years, but I've really been wanting to scrapbook again. My time is more limited now with three kiddos and I haven't really been able to paper craft much lately. I want to scrapbook more and want to make more time for it. I've started back on my Project Life album. I love that it lets me scrapbook a little bit and record the memories now when I don't have much time and then I can create more layouts when I do have the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cards! Cards! Cards! After making my children's clothes and many different crafts and quilting I started with SIMPLE SIMPLE CARDS! I am happy to where I have evolved! I love making many people happy with the thoughts I send each month and as many as I can get made for charities!
Great thread reading how others got into their joy! Thanks.

CCC, MMTPT, QFTD156, Cards for a Cause

Rita/scootsv
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #62  
Cardstock Collector

I was introduced to card making first. I absolutley love the idea of making and giving homemade cards as opposed to buying cards at the store...seemed so impersonal but it is what I did until I started making my own cards. I am new and dont have much compared to other card makers but I am slowly building up my collection. It is a new hobby that I love doing, it relieves stress and helps keep me in the moment. I feel I have alot to learn, feel like an amature seeing the cards that are in the gallery, but without a doubt in my mind I will catch up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #63  
Glitter Queen

I started out as a stamper back in the '80's. Then I attended a CM workshop and fell in love with scrapbooking and have been scrapping ever since.

In December I attended a scrapbook event where a Stampin' Up! demonstrator taught a class and I fell in love with stamping and card making all over again. Now I'm making cards for Operation Write Home and all it took was a simple demonstration to remind me how rewarding it is to make cards that bring smiles to the faces of its recipients.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started out making scrapbooks for my sons and granddaughter and for my hubby and I. Then I was introduced to card making...now I do not scrap at all only make cards...lol. I have sold and made several hundered dollars on the scrapbook type pages in frames. People love them.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #65  
Cardstock Collector

I started as a scrapbooker with Creative Memories. I do mostly cards now, but just entered a challenge on Big Picture Classes and made 4 scrapbook layouts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I started out making scrapbooks for my sons and granddaughter and for my hubby and I. Then I was introduced to card making...now I do not scrap at all only make cards...lol. I have sold and made several hundered dollars on the scrapbook type pages in frames. People love them.
blessings.
These are great gifts! Framed scrapbook pages! My friend made each of her five children framed pages for Christmas one year and each child ranging from 11 to 18 loved them! I thought they were terrific! I bet yours are awesome!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #67  
Kookie Creator

I started out as a scrapbooker when I wanted to make a sports-themed scrapbook for our ds' graduation party. It mushroomed from there. I LOVED scrapbooking -- cards were just OK. Shortly after our dd graduated 4 years later we moved several states down and also downsized our living space. It was then that I really got into making cards. Now, that is my primary hobby. I make the occasional scrapbook page but stick mostly to cards and altered projects.
Reply With Quote Likes