Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Wink Well, it was sort of funny

Our close dear friends had a terrible tragedy this week, their 27 yr old son was killed in a auto accident, he was my son's best friend since jr high. I was
getting all my stuff together to start cutting out thank you cards for the family. Since I did not know what the young mans favorite color was ( and was not about to ask), I decided to wing it. My grandson said " make them using daddy's favorite color", and I informed him I didn't have gravy colored ink or paper. The seven year old fell off his chair laughing.

We needed this laugh, funeral is tomorrow. I will have scrapping friends helping me tomorrow night, get these finished, to be delivered to the family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So very sorry for your loss. Sometimes laughter is good medicine when our hearts are hurting, isn't it?

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Awww thats so sad, Hugs sent to you from across the pond. .I hope the funeral goes well tomorrow. xx jo xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

It's ok to laugh, its human, and its a cute story! Some of my best "funnies" are from what seem to be the most inappropriate times around the time of my parents illnesses and eventual passing away.

Like my mother deciding to move my dad's ashes into a 'prettier urn' only to not have really thought through the whole this is the size of the original urn, and this is the substantially smaller prettier urn...before tipping;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree - it's good to maintain a sense of humor even in the face of such a tragedy. And so cute your grandson had the idea to use his best friend's favorite color! Love it though... gravy!

So nice of you to prepare cards for them ~ busy hands and the company of others seem just right now. ((( hugs! )))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh seriously, we tell the best and funniest stories at funerals. I'm not sure what color to category "gravy" in either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 855 Likes on 281 Posts

We went to a celebration of life for the father of one of our dear friends a few weeks ago. It was very memorable occasion and I was pleased that while there were tears there was also laughter when some of the family members shared their memories.

When my mom died I was devastated. I wasn't able to go and see her while she was ill and there had been so many things I wanted to say to her that I didn't get to. Well, the day we buried her my sisters and I were sitting around talking about mom and remembering childhood events. At one point we were laughing so hard my tummy hurt and tears were a'rolling. It was at the point that I realized that as much as I would miss her and still do miss her 22 years later, that everything would be alright.

Laughter truly is good for the soul and I hope the young man's family will remember the funny stories of his life and laugh and heal their souls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

The funeral is done, it's been a tough day. I had to wear slacks to the funeral, we are in the middle of a remodel, most of my really nice dress clothes are in storage. So I had to go dig around in the storage pod after midnight when I got home from work, find some decent slacks. I fell last week, and my legs are really scraped up, so no skirts,and I could not find the storage box where all my even knee high hose, pantyhose, or even some trouser socks were. I though what the heck, just get something on, and go to be with that family.

Gosh, I will be glad when this night is over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Patrice,

Hugs to you and all who are suffering this tragic loss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Those finally farewells can be so hard especially when it is someone young, hugs.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

So sorry for your loss. Laughter always helps especially from children. When my dad died 40+ years ago it was difficult for our family; he was only 60. When the funeral mass was over and we all got into the hearse/limo to drive to the cemetery, we discovered the hearse had a flat tire! My dad was known for running out of gas, having flat tires, etc. and we all started to laugh since it was so like dad! The laughter helped my mom get through a very difficult day and we told this story to everyone we saw all day long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
So sorry for your loss. Laughter always helps especially from children. When my dad died 40+ years ago it was difficult for our family; he was only 60. When the funeral mass was over and we all got into the hearse/limo to drive to the cemetery, we discovered the hearse had a flat tire! My dad was known for running out of gas, having flat tires, etc. and we all started to laugh since it was so like dad! The laughter helped my mom get through a very difficult day and we told this story to everyone we saw all day long.
Love your story! I wrote the eulogy for my grandmother, who had been seriously disabled for years before she died. My mom and aunt cared for her until she went into the nursing home for her last year. This time was so full of pain for my grandma, and that's what was fresh on everyone's mind. I went around and collected stories from each of her descendents, and most of the stories were funny. My BIL read the eulogy and hit all the jokes with perfect timing. Mom said that the service was such a comfort to her because she'd forgotten how fun her mom had been. Those memories made the service a celebration of her life.

After the service, however, my nine-year-old niece came up to me with a disapproving look on her face and said, "Aunt Susan, you are baaaad." I asked her why. She said, "You made people laugh at a funeral!" I explained how comforting it was to remember grandma as she had been before the pain of her last 20 years or so. She didn't believe me, and I suspect that now, several years later, she still thinks I'm a bit inappropriate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Sooo very sorry for y'alls loss! But its true, laughter does help heal the soul! I love the scene in Steel Magnolia's ....where Sally Fields is loosing it at her daughter's funeral and then shes says she just wants to hit somebody and one of her friends says, 'here, hit Whizza!' and they all burst out laughing, lol! I'm one of those too that laugh at weird times, so I understand, lol!

Senior Design Team member for Gina K Designs
Behind the Scenes Crew at StampTV.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

So sorry for your loss, but you've brought a wonderful memory back to mind for me. My mom passed away in April very suddenly, and at the rosary my 4-year old grandson and a 3-year old (going on 30!) named Bria were arguing at the casket. Myles said, "thats my grandma, she died." Bria said, "no, she's DEAD." "No, she DIED" "No, she's dead." This went on for several minutes, and when my SIL told me about it, I laughed so hard I was crying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

there is a fine line between laughter and tears and I believe that is God's design. My prayers are with you - my son lost his best friend when they were very young and it is just so very hard.
I should have been forbidden from sitting next to my brother during a funeral. We had a very similar sense of humor and always laughed until we snorted at funerals... so bad!
Reply With Quote Likes