Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-30-2008, 02:53 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wedding invitations frustrations/vent

Bear with me I am on a roll -

I am wondering if this ever happens to you, if so please vent away and join my vent party!

I make invitations for the family and friends that ask me to, usually it is a gift to them - have done some beautiful ones with ribbon and vellum and embossing, etc.

My sister's son (my nephew) and his wife are getting married and I told my sister that I would be happy to help out, is there anything they would like me to make - invitations, favors, etc.?

She told me that she already knew I would want to help and told her son and his bride to be that I would not have time to do anything, how nice was that?
After a few weeks of cooling off I realized that she was right, we had just moved and things were crazy but I felt so bad that she spoke on my behalf without even asking.

She told me later that the bride's family had a lot of crafty people that more than likely would be making them. I felt better, I thought OH, well that makes sense and I let it go................... or so I thought.

I got the bridal shower invites. A piece of stationary with hand writing on it. That was it!!

I got the wedding invitation. Ladies my 8 year old could have done these in an afternoon -- and they were stuff that they ordered from a company! It was just a plain sheet of cream cardstock with one leaf stamped on it and some writing. That was it!!

I feel really disappointed, if they really wanted something simple I could have made something simple and still prettier than what they ended up with. They had to order stuff because no one in their family had time to make anything either.

Ok I dont' know what bothers me more, the fact that I wasn't able to make anything, or the fact that what they ended up with kind of (sorry) looked like crap and I feel so badly that I wish I could have helped out somewhat!!

Sorry if this was long -- anything similar happen to you -- I was thinking of making some simple (but fabulously beautiful) thank you or just note cards for them for a wedding or bridal shower gift. What do you think? That way at least they would have something nice - am I bad?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 03:03 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I totally understand how you feel!! *hugs*

I don't feel this way about cards, 'cause it takes me hours to do one. But, it really, really pains me to watch those Christmas volunteers at the mall doing gift-wrap, because I know I could do soooooooo much better and I would enjoy it enough to PAY to be able to gift-wrap!!!!

It totally sucks that your sister spoke on your behalf, especially since she knew you would want to help. At least you truly did not have time. Maybe if the happy couple gets pregnant you could have a second chance with baby shower stuff! (but speak directly to them; don't ask your sister)

And I think the thank-you cards would be a totally neat way to dissipate your frustration over the whole matter, and would be appreciated by the couple!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, I understand your feelings.

But let it go. It is not your wedding.

If you wish to make thank you cards that are gorgeous, that is great...but don't make them only to "show up" what was previously done.

Do it if you want to make a lovely gift that encompasses how the couple feels about one another, and how you feel about their upcoming marriage.

Thank you notes are always a great shower gift.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 04:01 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by koopdedooView Post
Oh, I understand your feelings.

But let it go. It is not your wedding.

If you wish to make thank you cards that are gorgeous, that is great...but don't make them only to "show up" what was previously done.

Do it if you want to make a lovely gift that encompasses how the couple feels about one another, and how you feel about their upcoming marriage.

Thank you notes are always a great shower gift.

Kathy
Oh now I feel horrible - I wasn't thinking of it as "showing up" what had been done but I guess that might be viewed that way wouldn't it -- that isn't very nice of me.

Yeah I am going to let it go, it isn't my wedding after all. I just felt bad because I could have done something really nice.

Maybe I will do something totally non card related like do a 6x6 album she can put her special wedding photos in. That way it is nice but not anything to do with the cards. She might have ordered matching Thank you notes anyway - !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 04:24 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I think that's a great idea, and wouldn't be misinterpreted at all. You have a great heart, and will surely have future opportunities to bless others with your skills!
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 05:52 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that an album would be a wonderful gift!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think a nice wedding album would be the perfect gift. And don't fret
over the invitations. I think your sister was nice for looking out for you,
and the bride's family probably really wanted to make the invitations.
I've often received other's invitations and know that I would have done a
better job, but, you know, to them, they thought they were pretty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 06:43 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I have been able to create beautiful wedding invitations for several people I care about in addition to my own wedding invitations. It was very time consuming, but such a joy to do for someone special to me.

I agree with the idea of a 6x6 album. I did that for my BF when she got married, but I turned it up a notch. I used the front portion of the album for "her" and then I flipped the album and did the back part of the album for "him". Then in the middle upside down were pictures of them together. It was a big hit, because it kind of told a story about their lives separate and together. Hope I explained it right.

Good Luck and I am sure whatever you decide will be great and much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Good Luck!!!!! I too think the wedding album would be a nice gift!!!

Krista
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

My SIL signs the back of hers: It's just a card. She feels she can't compete with some of the rest of us. Could be they were jealous of you! Anyway the pressure is off of you, just enjoy the wedding! No I wouldn't make the thank yous for the possible "showing up" reason, even if you didn't mean it that way.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes