Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wedding Invitation Wisdom Needed

I am going to do my BIL's and future SIL's wedding invitations. As I design them do you have any advice?

I will be making mock ups for her (bride) to comment and choose from. I have also gotten a few ideas from the gallery (kinda difficult because I had to wade through a lot of stuff with my searches)

So any advice is appreciated especially from recent brides.

TIA

my blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just finished looking at another thread on this page called Favorite Wedding card; it may be helpful; the only advice I'd give is not to do to much embossing or layering if you're making a LOT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I made my MIL's wedding invitations. It was her second wedding, 11 years after her first husband had passed away. Her and her fiance came to look at what I had made up for them. I had several invites and RSVP cards going on, and I let them pick and choose colors and wording etc....

My best advice to you is - don't sell yourself short on time. Remember, it takes about 4 weeks to get all the RSVP's back, so make sure you have enough TIME to do them all!!!! Hope to see your creations in your gallery~!!!!!;)

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Having been an event planner and designed and made wedding invitations for several weddings, I will agree with the time element. Get the colors as soon as the bride knows....that at least gives you a direction in which to head. The easiest way is to print all the pertinent information on vellum (it will go through an inkjet printer), then layer the vellum over the designed cardstock, tie with an organdy ribbon...my gallery has one I did for my parent's 25th wedding anniversary...they were super easy and everyone thought it took forever to do them. I did about 100. Instead of a design on theirs, though, I printed their picture, also on the vellum
Here's the link, if you want to see what I'm talking about:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I did the candy wrappers, and a candle as well. Here's the link to the candle:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Hope this helps and am looking forward to seeing your creations when complete.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I made wedding invites for my mom's 2nd marraige I checked out Invitation by Dawn on line. They had great wording examples and some good layouts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2006, 05:19 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogloverkd
When I made wedding invites for my mom's 2nd marraige I checked out Invitation by Dawn on line. They had great wording examples and some good layouts.
This has the inspiration that is getting me started!!
Thanks so much!!

Any other advice is apprieciated, too.

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2006, 05:55 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

My best advice is Simple but Elegant!!!

I have done invites for a few weddings and the last one for my niece just about did me in, LOL. It was totally my own fault, since she is my one and only niece I wanted to make them extra special. I had a gatefold invite with a buckle of metallic silver c/s and on the buckle was an embossed in silver monogram. THe monogram was a stamp I had custom made. I also embossed a heart on the outside of the invitation. Ok that was just the outside of the invite! The inside was vellum printed iwth the words, and attached with double-sided satin silver ribbon to match the silver of the embossing and metallic c/s. Underneath that was a patterned paper and both were mounted on the inside of the card. I escaped pulling my hair out by doing very simple RSVPs!! But they were very beautiful.

I had a lot of fun doing up the prototypes, I unfortunately had no idea how long it would REALLY take to do them all up. I had about 75 to do and in hindsight I would have cut a few steps down or even out to achieve the same or similar look.

So in summary:
1. Do the prototype and make a list of all the steps it took to make that one. Write it all down step by step and number it. Add up all the materials to make it.
2. Double-faced satin is a dream to touch but a bear to cut and have it cut straight. Highly recommend organdy instead!!!
3. If you love heat embossing, go for it. It is one of the things that truly makes a wedding invite look beautiful in silver or gold. HOwever space out your time doing it over a few days. Trust me!!!
4. Make sure you invest in a good adhesive. I got rolls of Scotch double-sided tape and got the tape dispenser that sits on your desk. It attaches very well. Some people use tape runners. Whatever you use it HAS to stay well. Make sure you test that out before you do 100 and have them fall apart. Do NOT use glue stick!!!
5. Get a couple refill blades for your paper cutter. If you are cutting vellum you want a clean edge. Keep one reserved for just that, i.e. don't cut a bunch of SU c/s and then cut into your vellum, you will get a raggedy edge if it is worn down from the thick c/s.
6. Make sure you have all your envelopes figured out. Inside env, outside env., response env. Make sure only the outside envy gets a return address on it, the inside envy does NOT (it gets hand written on and can be lined) and the RSPV envy can be preprinted which I also did.

Have fun with it! I love doing wedding invites but I like to plan at least 2 months to get them done. Oh and make sure you have ALL the info confirmed with them before you do EVERYTHING. Sitting down to do invites, make SURE all is signed off. Doing RSVP, make SURE the address you are having them sent to is correct. DOuble check and never assume!

Edited to add that I really liked the envelopment ideas here:
http://www.mygatsby.com/
Reply With Quote Likes