Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water coloring with ink pads

I want to water color an image that I will be stamping multiple times and stacking. Plan on using SU ink because it is what I own after stamping in memento ink. Can I use regular card stock to do this? If not what can I purchase at my local Joanns, Hobby Lobby or Michaels since I've been a slacker and need them done by Saturday! Eek! Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

I remember the time I tried to use my water color pencils and ink on regular cardstock on
110lb paper and my card ended up bowing even though I did not use much water.

I have yet to try again but I did go to Michaels and purchased a water color paper pad (I think it had 50 sheets or something) for $2.50 or 3.00 (I used a half off coupon). Maybe this week I'll try to test it out again and see what happens.

P.S

I think it's a video on youtube on watercolor paper by The Frugal Crafter. If I can find it I'll try to post a link

Last edited by Ready..Set..Craft; 10-06-2016 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I was wrong it's 25 sheets for $2.50 by Artist Loft
Artist?s Loft? Fundamentals Watercolor Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a good chance that memento ink is going to smear if you're using it to water color (it's a water based ink itself).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Okay sounds like I need to use Stazon instead of Memento.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4londonView Post
Okay sounds like I need to use Stazon instead of Memento.
Yes, Stazon is permanent. If you're using clear stamps, be forewarned that it's going to stain, even if you have the stazon cleaner. But it should come off your rubber stamps pretty well (with the cleaner).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 03:08 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If you do use Staz-on, I'm under the impression that it's not good for polymer stamps. Actually, I've just gone off and done a Google search on that.
From what I'm reading, you CAN use Staz-on cleaner on (good quality) photopolymer stamps, BUT make sure to wash them well afterwards, or the solvent will cause damage over time.
I do know you should not get it on your acrylic blocks, it will most definitely cause them problems. Makes them go cloudy and covered in fine lines. You have no idea how many blocks I ruined before I found that out! Use hand sanitiser to clean it off your blocks.Sounds crazy, but it does work. I saw that on here, and gave it a try. I was amazed, lol.
EDIT: I just realised another solution is to stamp then clear heat emboss your image. That way the ink won't smear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 03:30 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

When I have watercolored with any ink I used watercolor paper and versifine ink. I have had good results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 04:21 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,064 Likes on 819 Posts

I too have never had any problems with Versafine and any type of watercolour. I just wasn't clear on what the "multiple stamping and stackng " entailed, because if I were stamping several images in one go to take away on holiday or send someone, I'd allow a little drying time before bundling them together. But if it's for a technique involving layering, that's different. Then I'd just stamp and colour.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
If you do use Staz-on, I'm under the impression that it's not good for polymer stamps. Actually, I've just gone off and done a Google search on that.
From what I'm reading, you CAN use Staz-on cleaner on (good quality) photopolymer stamps, BUT make sure to wash them well afterwards, or the solvent will cause damage over time.
I do know you should not get it on your acrylic blocks, it will most definitely cause them problems. Makes them go cloudy and covered in fine lines. You have no idea how many blocks I ruined before I found that out! Use hand sanitiser to clean it off your blocks.Sounds crazy, but it does work. I saw that on here, and gave it a try. I was amazed, lol.
EDIT: I just realised another solution is to stamp then clear heat emboss your image. That way the ink won't smear.
I had been taught that Staz-on cleaner can be harsh on photopolymer stamps, and that the ink itself is ok. I try to avoid Staz-on though. It's annoying.

Could it be the alcohol in the hand sanitizer that's cleaning the blocks? I use alcohol swabs for cleaning gunk off of scissors, and may try it. Apparently alcohol can damage acrylic, causing minute cracks, but I vaguely remember Jennifer McGuire saying that in spite of that, she used it in some cases, maybe just washing it off afterwards (?), and has never seen any damage. (Do I trust her advice? Yes.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 04:49 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've gotten OK results when using a fairly dry brush to put color down on regular CS. For any real watercolor techniques, it doesn't hold up very well. BUT, if you want a clear crisp stamped image on watercolor paper (or as close as you can get), you'll want a stamp positioner so you can stamp several times, because the paper isn't as smooth as regular CS.

(I'm a moderately abled stamper, no pro, so take that into account with the advise above, lol!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Ranger watercolor paper has a smooth and a textured side, and is a nice paper. It's not at the high quality level of watercolor papers made for artists or those really into watercoloring, but it's really nice for light watercoloring for card making, especially because of the smooth side. I may have seen it at Michael's or Hobby Lobby, but could be mistaken - my apologies if so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 07:04 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
There is a good chance that memento ink is going to smear if you're using it to water color (it's a water based ink itself).
Momento ink is dye-based. I use it all the time for stamping cards I'm going to water color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
Momento ink is dye-based. I use it all the time for stamping cards I'm going to water color.
Many dye inks are water-based, so not waterproof, but Momento and Versafine are exceptions. I agree Momento works very well. (My fave for crispness for details is Versafine.)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I watercolour my images all the time. I use Memento and colour with SU inks on regular 110 lb cardstock. Don't get your image too wet but if it does buckle let it dry then press it with an iron on the back side. Here is a card I made using this method. TLC278 Magical Marquee by Mrs Noofy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been using cold press watercolor paper, and most likely 'student grade' (picked up when a local art store was closing). There's a smoother and a rougher side to each sheet, but both sides have 'tooth'. I'm curious now about how it compares to the Ranger. Anyone have cold press watercolor paper and the Ranger watercolor paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
I've been using cold press watercolor paper, and most likely 'student grade' (picked up when a local art store was closing). There's a smoother and a rougher side to each sheet, but both sides have 'tooth'. I'm curious now about how it compares to the Ranger. Anyone have cold press watercolor paper and the Ranger watercolor paper?
Yup. The cold press watercolor paper that I have has texture that varies so much depending on brand and quality that it's hard to generalize.

Ranger's has a textured side and a smooth side, and is advertised as such on the package.

I have a 100 lb. watercolor paper by Paper Cuts (?) that I picked up at a stamping/SB expo. I haven't tried it, but it's smooth on both sides like cardstock. No idea about quality.

I think paper matters more than paints. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I was so happy to see this thread.... I was going to make a new one, but didn't know if that would be considered spammy. :rolleyes:

I was at Michael's, Joann's and Pat Catan's today and had a heck of a time finding any watercolor paper that wasn't $8 or $9 a pack.

I've never really watercolored. But I wanted to try the Falliday challenge calling for it... I was not going to spend a lot for one card. I ended up buying a Crayola watercolor paper pad. It was $2.19. That being said, is it really watercolor paper? All the pricey watercolor paper I looked at was thick and textured. This just looks like printer paper...? I guess time will tell.. maybe tomorrow I'll be able to play around with it.
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Annnnd I just looked up reviews of the Crayola watercolor paper... =( Not good. Ugh. I'm thoroughly annoyed.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 06:41 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

My preference for water coloring is Stewarts India Ink Black stamp pad and either water color paper or Bristol paper. The Bristol is not made for water coloring but it works well if you don't use a lot of water. I buy it a Michael's as it goes on sale quite often. I've never had the India Ink pad bleed no matter how much water I use whereas StazOn can bleed.

I also like the Bristol for when I want to water color die cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

bound4london, curious about how things went and what you learned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

I believe paper quality is more important than paint quality for getting good results in a watercolor project. I'd rather save money on paints than paper.

Michaels' Artist's Loft $5.99 watercolor paint set gives me super results if I'm using quality paper. I cannot get those same results with expensive, highly pigmented paints if I'm using low-quality paper.

That said, there are some popular watercolor pads I can't use for the life of me, and some that are less expensive that work well. So personal preference still matters.

And if just adding a tiny bit of watercolor - say on a flower or a leaf - cardstock like Neenah Classic Crest works just fine. I'm even putting watercolor in a Moleskine journal. The paper crinkles (which I like!) but doesn't bleed through.

So maybe I'm contradicting myself. But not really? It depends on the size and complexity of the project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for that Beth.. I wish I would have just bought some of the heavier stuff at Pat Catan's. Ugh. My sister told me the heavier paper wasn't as good for watercoloring. That the paper she uses for it is thin, like printer paper.. so Idk. I guess I won't know until I try it... but I don't want to ruin my card for the FF challenge either. =( I wonder if Walmart has watercolor paper. *sigh*
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
Thanks for that Beth.. I wish I would have just bought some of the heavier stuff at Pat Catan's. Ugh. My sister told me the heavier paper wasn't as good for watercoloring. That the paper she uses for it is thin, like printer paper.. so Idk. I guess I won't know until I try it... but I don't want to ruin my card for the FF challenge either. =( I wonder if Walmart has watercolor paper. *sigh*
I'll look through my watercolor paper to see which is the less expensive paper that worked, not that everyone has the same experience. But it may have been one from a local artist supply store. : (

Do you have any Neenah Classic Crest card stock? I don't know what your timeframe is, or how much water and paint you'll be applying, but it's nice for light applications.

You can even order free samples of Neenah card stock on their website, and pay just for shipping. The sample sheets are huge, since companies are trying them for major projects, so shipping isn't super low, but worth it to try lots of papers. It can be confusing since they have so many papers, so I called them and someone walked me through it.

Oh wait - one watercolor paper that most people like but I don't, so am the odd [wo]man out, is Strathmore. I have some and would be happy to toss it into a padded envelope and mail it to you. If you'd like it, send me a private message, and let me know what size you need too. For example, are you watercoloring a small piece and adhering it to an A2 card, or need a full A2 size, etc. I may have more than one size.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I do have some Neenah paper my sister gave me, but I don't know if it's classic crest. AND I'm not sure if I kept it separate... I need some folders or something to store white papers so I don't lose track of what's what.

Oh, the Strathmore is what I saw... I liked how it looked. But I don't know how it performs... haha.. (sounds funny, performing paper) Sorry, I'm a little tired.. so I'm giddy. xD

As for the time frame, it's for the FF challenge from Sunday. So technically I have till the 31st to upload my card. I'll PM you.. thank you for the offer.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes