Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa HannantView Post
I just called my mom and she loves the boob cookie idea. We are going to call the bags everyone's 'departing gift'. She likes that too. My husband is all over the boob making idea. He likes to bake so he will be in charge of that. And since there are pumpkin spice Hershey's kisses this time of year, the color will be perfect. We're only giving one cookie each to represent what my mom has left!!

I know so of you will just be shaking your head in disgust, but we are having a good time with this. What else can you do?
Shaking my head in disgust??? NO WAY, girl! I am crying and laughing and admiring your mother's strength! (And yours, too!) My heart and prayers go out to you, and I hope that you create the best memories yet with your Mom in these final weeks! Keep us posted on how things are going!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been reading all of your ideas and they're awesome! I don't know what I will want when I die, but it's actually a blessing to be a part of the process, isn't it? I wish you many happy memories over the next few weeks..

How about a breast cancer ribbon made with some special pink ribbon? This ruffled ribbon would be a nice touch and it's not your plain pink like you usually see, it would be HER ribbon. Her friends could wear it in rememberance to her.

take care!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe a little ghost pin to go with the ribbon so she will "always be with her family and friends in spirit". I bet that even if they didn't wear them all the time that they would pick them up to put on and remember her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't read all of the suggestions, but how about pink (wrist) sweat bands like the NFL players are wearing now? Maybe your mom could sign them? I came up with that b/c my son and husband were at a game recently and one of the players autographed the one he was wearing and tossed it into the crowd.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: keeping my 7 yr old still, while I'm in stampin' bliss!

Melissa,

I think you and your mother's ideas are wonderful! I'm sorry that you will be losing your dear mother soon, and I am sending prayers and hopeful thoughts your way. I wish for a peaceful ending to a very harsh and emotional journey. I know exactly what you are going through, as my mother has stage 4 cancer and will be departing us very soon also. (though, I think it will be a couple months, not a couple weeks).

I think the ideas that have been mentioned are wonderful, and if I may, I might steal a few of them when our turn comes.

I would suggest taking a wonderful picture of your mother and putting that on the outside of the bags with your mom's favorite quote. Try not to tape it down to much, so that the recipient can remove it and keep it for themselves.

May your journey bring you, your mother, and your family closer and may it end in much peace!

God be with you in your time of need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

WOW! What a super idea & a creative way to celebrate your mom's zest for life. The fact that your searching for suggestions is a testiment to how much you love her.

How about some eyeball candy with lil tags that say "I'll keep an eye out for you in heaven"

Not too morbid I hope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #47  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
I think it's awesome. You're celebrating her life and her friendships in a fun, positive way. I'll be thinking about you both!
I agree with Krystie Lee. A lot of people will benefit from your mother's attitude and from your own embracing of what she needs to make her last weeks on earth full of love and laughter. We're all gonna be there one day, and I hope I'm like your mom!

Blessings to your family. And thank you for sharing some little part of this journey with us. (((hugs)))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #48  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't think I saw this idea here...

How about a pear with a tag that says "Check your pair!"

I wish you and your family strength now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #49  
Mad Swapper

I don't have any ideas to add, but I just wanted to say that this is a great attitude. My step-fathers mother had the same issue only it was colon cancer. They tried to get out what they could of the tumor but it just grew back. They gave her a year to live and she actually went a few months past that. She did the same thing as your mother - she asked everyone to stay positive and she prepared. It was sort of morbid in that she went around putting labels on all her stuff telling everyone who would get what. She wrote letters to everyone saying everything she wanted to say, he spent a lot of time with her grandkids and great-grandkids and really took it easy that last year. She taught her husband how to cook since he never had and she showed him how to clean the house, do laundry, etc. I hate to say it, but I think that ensured his survival. Without knowing all those things, we really think he would have passed soon after from a broken heart and feeling like he couldn't do anything. It was sort of a blessing in disguise I guess. Anyway, I guess I'm trying to say that it's never easy knowing that your time is limited but I must commend your family for doing the best you can to make your mothers last few weeks comfortable, fun and memorable. I wish your family the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

All I can say is how inspiring...Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #51  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How wonderful that people can actually say where the items that mean the most to them, that they can give it to the people they want and get to see them enjoy them before their time is up. I hope that in reading this thread, that we all learn that death is not something to fear and those that are facing it, can show us how not to be afraid of it, what a blessing and their final act of love they give to all of us!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #52  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I just wanted to offer up prayers for you and your mom
Please visit my blog "Hands, Head, and Heart" at:
http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/
Check out my Youtube channel for stamping and cardmaking videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MelanieMuenchinger/videos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow!! I agree, how what a very inspiring woman!! What an amazing show of strengh, love, faith, compassion!! Your mom is awesome!! When I read your first post, I thought of making some little jars of flubber, but is sounds like you have lots of great ideas, that might be a little less time consuming.
Thinking of you!
Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

I have tears in my eyes reading all of your great ideas and such support! Melissa, you, your mom, and your family are so special. What a wonderful send-off and I'm sure you've been richly rewarded with lifetime memories of her. Prayers that all of this makes her last weeks happy and that your family will be comforted. Any ideas I had have already been mentioned! Great minds here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #55  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeView Post
How about envelopes addressed to the Cancer society or Susan Kommen, or..... Stamped of course.
I like that idea. I don't want flowers or anything,but a donation to the cancer society would be nice. I think I will do a breast cancer walk next year and when I cross the finish line I will take a small vial of her ashes and sprinkle them on the line.

I bet my mom is pretty pi$$ed about getting breast cancer because her boobs were so small to begin with!! She said she would have rather gotten AIDS because people live so much longer with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Maybe a little ghost pin to go with the ribbon so she will "always be with her family and friends in spirit". I bet that even if they didn't wear them all the time that they would pick them up to put on and remember her.
That is brilliant! I love the idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #57  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I like that idea. I don't want flowers or anything,but a donation to the cancer society would be nice. I think I will do a breast cancer walk next year and when I cross the finish line I will take a small vial of her ashes and sprinkle them on the line.

I bet my mom is pretty pi$$ed about getting breast cancer because her boobs were so small to begin with!! She said she would have rather gotten AIDS because people live so much longer with that.
I know, right???? My mom was diagnosed in 1974 and radiated beyond belief. In 1998 she had to have reconstructive due to skin 'evaporating' over the rib cage. Upon looking at the sample left (by the now dead physician) she NEVER had breast cancer. But she had the radiation that went whacky everywhere and now she had Alzheimer's. women have had the bad end of the stick, kwim?

I am loving following this tho....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #58  
Watercolor Wizard

I love it!
I admire so much your sense of humor with this!
How about pink post it notes for breast cancer awareness?
Pink Tic Tacs?
Pink anything I guess.
A really fun thing to do is name a star after your mom - that is what I did for my mom after she died of Lou Gherig's disease.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #59  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

jail Bird--I have so been to your blog!!! Sorry about your mom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamperView Post
I love it!
I admire so much your sense of humor with this!
How about pink post it notes for breast cancer awareness?
Pink Tic Tacs?
Pink anything I guess.
A really fun thing to do is name a star after your mom - that is what I did for my mom after she died of Lou Gherig's disease.
Oh my G-D! I love that idea. That way my kids can look at the sky every night and 'see' her and say good night. Let me run it by her and see if that is something she would like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #61  
Mad Swapper

Default Boob Cookie Update

I contacted a woman who teaches all kinds of baking classes locally. She was just on TLC's Ultimate Cake Off a few weeks ago. She is going to make the cookies for me tonight for free. She just lost a friend to cancer THIS MORNING and said she feels like she needs to do something, but she didn't know what. I can't wait to see what they look like. If I remember, I will take pictures and post them.

I want to thank you all so very much for all of your ideas and kind words. They mean a lot to me and I am very serious about that. I know that they will be even more meaningful once she is gone. This has been and will be a crazy time for me and I need all the help and support I can get from near and far, family and stranger.

Please hug your kids, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc, tight tonight and remember that nothing in life matters but who you love and who loves you. Because in the end, 'things' don't matter- the love, experiences, and memories do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #62  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
Ok, here is the recipe for the "Boob Cookies" a.k.a. Peanut Blossoms

1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 unbeaten egg
1 tsp. vanilla
solid milk chocloate kisses, unwrapped
extra white sugar to roll cookies in

Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Cream together butter, peanut butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla, mix together well, than add the dry ingredients, blending together gradually. Shape into balls and roll in extra white sugar. Place on a grease cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 8 mins. Remove from oven and top each cookie with a kiss, pressing down firmly so cookie cracks around edge. Bake another 2 to 5 mins. longer.

I've had this recipe for at least 30 years now!
Here's my family's version, though we call them What-A-Clocks. The recipes are pretty darn close. I used to beg cookies off of the neighbors across the street. Apparently one day, when I was about four, I went across the street and asked if she was baking cookies. She said she wasn't but would be that afternoon. I came back that afternoon and asked if the cookies were ready. She said no, they were baking. I asked, "What-a-clock will be they done?" Hence the name. Here's the recipe -

What-A-Clock
1 � c. flour
1 t. soda
� t. salt
sift together

� c. Crisco
� c. peanut butter
� c. white sugar
� c. firmly packed brown sugar
Cream together

Add:
1 unbeaten egg
1 t. vanilla
Beat well

Blend in dry ingredients

Bake balls at 365 for 10 minutes. Remove and top with Hershey�s Kiss. Put back into oven for about 3-5 minutes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #63  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I contacted a woman who teaches all kinds of baking classes locally. She was just on TLC's Ultimate Cake Off a few weeks ago. She is going to make the cookies for me tonight for free. She just lost a friend to cancer THIS MORNING and said she feels like she needs to do something, but she didn't know what. I can't wait to see what they look like. If I remember, I will take pictures and post them.

I want to thank you all so very much for all of your ideas and kind words. They mean a lot to me and I am very serious about that. I know that they will be even more meaningful once she is gone. This has been and will be a crazy time for me and I need all the help and support I can get from near and far, family and stranger.

Please hug your kids, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc, tight tonight and remember that nothing in life matters but who you love and who loves you. Because in the end, 'things' don't matter- the love, experiences, and memories do.
That is so incredible.

I love what you're doing with your mom. You can cry or laugh, so why not laugh?! You'll absolutely cherish these next few weeks, even though they'll be some of the hardest of your life. My wish for you is that the hard days go quickly and the happy moments and memories stay forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #64  
Gallery Gazer

My sentiments exactly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampertammyView Post
Shaking my head in disgust??? NO WAY, girl! I am crying and laughing and admiring your mother's strength! (And yours, too!) My heart and prayers go out to you, and I hope that you create the best memories yet with your Mom in these final weeks! Keep us posted on how things are going!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so sorry to hear about your mom and know that you are in my thoughts. I lost my Step-mom a few years ago to cancer and one thing we repeatedly said was 'Cancer Sucks!' A while back I made a project and altered suckers with the scallop punch with a little sentiment on them stating exactly that.
I truly hope this doesn't offend anyone, but humor helped us through a lot of the pain and I certainly wish for this to be true for you and your family as well, Melissa!

Here is a pic of the project:
CC136 Hope Has Power by Stamps'nCoffee at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #66  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamps'nCoffeeView Post
I am so sorry to hear about your mom and know that you are in my thoughts. I lost my Step-mom a few years ago to cancer and one thing we repeatedly said was 'Cancer Sucks!' A while back I made a project and altered suckers with the scallop punch with a little sentiment on them stating exactly that.
I truly hope this doesn't offend anyone, but humor helped us through a lot of the pain and I certainly wish for this to be true for you and your family as well, Melissa!

Here is a pic of the project:
CC136 Hope Has Power by Stamps'nCoffee at Splitcoaststampers

I checked out your photo. I love the idea. I think I might have to add those to the bag as well. You're right, cancer sucks. I've been saying that this is all B.S. I just want my mom here for awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #67  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 366 Likes on 191 Posts

Melissa, My thoughts and prayers go out to your wonderful Mom, to you and the rest of the family. I was really struck by your note as I just returned home after a visit with my sister who was just diagnosed with advanced cancer. We are all touched by this disease. Kudos to your Mom for really 'living', we could all follow her example. Let us know how it goes and have lots of fun on your special projects. Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh my heart is breaking for you.

some of my most treasured things from my Dad, now sadly gone, were little notes he hand wrote to me. I think the momisms is great as is the video thing.

Good luck, hugs and prayers from Ireland!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

Do you still have the Sketch It stamp set? Turn the heart upside down for "boobs", add a face in a circle above the upside down heart, then the words "Get Them Smooshed". A friend of mine makes ATCs every October for Breast Cancer Awareness Month using that set and hands them out to everyone she comes in contact with during the month.

I'm so sorry about your mom, but I absolutely think this is a wonderful idea and I love your mom's attitude! Prayers going out to your mom, you and your family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #70  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hugs and prayers from all of us, your SplitcoastSISTERS.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #71  
Glitter Queen

Melissa,
I just wanted to send hugs to you and your mom, and tell you how awesome it is that you all still have a sense of humor! Laughter truly IS the best medicine - live, love, laugh right? Thanks for celebrating your mom's life with us & I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You guys are truly to be celebrated.
P.S. Love the "breast friends" & "ta-ta's" ideas - you guys are GENIUSES!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #72  
Kookie Creator

My mom died from breast cancer just over a year ago. There sure was a lot of laughter in the house. Some people thought it odd, but it was the way she wanted it. You do what works for you. There was even some laughter while we were next to her while she was dying...not disrespectful, mind you, never that. I have to say, though, that all of us took really long showers. That's where we did our crying.

Anyway, for your bags...didn't someone make a pumpkin tag/card last year with a bra for the eyes and panties for the mouth? I can't seem to find it anywhere. It was really cute. It could go with your boob cookies.

I've been lucky/unlucky enough to be where you are. It's good to have something to focus on right now. Be patient with yourself after. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #73  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I lost my best friend to cancer a few months ago. It happened so quickly and I didn't really get to say goodbye so I think what you are doing is wonderful!

All my tired brain can come up with right now is to use candy corn with a "corny" phrase...like "from your corny friend" or something like

please don't mourn me...just be corny
Enjoy life!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #74  
Hardware Hotshot

Melissa,
I don't have any creative ideas for you. I just wanted to pass along that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!! I lost my Dad last year, and while I still have my Mom, I just can't imagine losing her too!
Your Mom sounds like a mighty spunky woman that would have been a joy to know!
Hugs~~~
Cindy aka *Lucie*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #75  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the ideas. I am at my mom's right now. I brought all of my supplies and she is excited that we are doing all of this, or at least she seems to be. The OxyContin and other pain meds are making her really loopy at times. Not to be selfish, but if you can all send out some positive thoughts to keep her here for at least another week or two, we'd appreciate it. We're just not quite ready to send her back to the earth, or swimming with the fishes, which is what she wants.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #76  
Watercolor Wizard

hugs for you and prayers for your mom, Melissa. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #77  
Watercolor Wizard

One other thought for you, Melissa: make sure everyone in your family is drinking plenty of water.

It's easy to get dehydrated in such a stressful time, and you sure don't need that right now. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #78  
Inking Addict

I so love your moms strength! My mom too was a trip! She was famous for some little dirty(not so very) limericks and I wish I had them on paper cause sometimes her friends would call and ask if I remembered one or another. If she has favorite sayings or some "remember this" stuff, that would be nice on a tag or book mark. Love to you and your family. It is sad but some people don't see the end coming and never get to say goodby. Nana Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #79  
Inking Addict

Melissa, one more thing, take this opportunity to seek the Lord. What if?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #80  
Mad Swapper

Default Need help!

Ok, I have one more request. My brain is seriously fried right now. I need some links to tote bag recipes so I can start trimming the paper and getting the bags made by tonight. I don't have time right now to search. The bag needs to be big enough for one small Kleenex pack, a cookie(the boobs), one fun sized M&M bag and a lollipop. I'm typically not this helpless, but I guess you can all understand. I'm currently being distracted by mom mom reading this book called Walter The Farting Dog to my kids. I'm sure some of you with kids have heard of it. That's our kind of humor.
Reply With Quote Likes