Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Disapointed!!!

I just thought I would let you all know please be very careful when buying stamps from others on SCS. I am quite new to SCS and was ISO: best of cluck. a SCS member PMed me and told I could have hers for 32.50. shipping included. I thought it was a pretty good bargin cause I live in Canada.

Well It wasnt! I tried to pm her almost everyday to see if the set was shipped yet and I never got a reponse. I ended up quite upset and just wanted a reply asking if the set was ever shippped. I bought the set on March 20 and still havent received it. I bought another set from another SCS member on the 26th and received i yesturday.

Here's the worst part. Last night when I got home from work at 1130pm I saw a UPS tag on my door. saying that I missed a package and I owed 33.60 I called them this morning and aske if the package was big they said it was quite small....

can you beilve it, she send it UPS!!!! not regualar mail????? I am so mad. I still havent received it I am waiting for UPS to deleiver it. so this stamp set which was suppose to cost me 32.50 shipping inculded is going to cost me 65.50!!! I was thinking about just sending it back to her, but decided I was still going to be out the money I paid her, so I will pay the UPS shipping and have the stamp set.

so just a warning to please make sure you clearing state to ship the stamps or what ever you buy regualr mail! I will never buy a thing off of SCS again, I feel so used, and embarressed! thank you for letting me vent, it feels good to get it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I am so sorry this happended to you. I don't blame you for being angry. You would think someone would ask how you wanted it shipped before they sent it COD by UPS. How weird. It is always a gamble when you buy something used, even at a garage sale. You don't know what you're dealing with until it's too late. I wish I could say something that would make you feel better, but I can't so I'll just send a hug your way. By the way, I love that set and wish I'd gotten it when it was still in the catalog. Hope you enjoy it after all the trouble and money you've spent.

Sibylle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Why did you end up owing so much more?

I mean, they calculate the
shipping fees when they send it right? (I've only sent one pkg to canada before, so I might be missing something..) I wouldn't think that it's the sellers "fault"...like I said, I might be missing something though. Sorry to hear you are so frustrated with the sale because of the shipping charges...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I am sooo sorry you had a bad experience. I have a bought a quite a few things on SCS and have had very good experiences so far. If I do have a bit of a larger purchase, I ask if they have an eBay user id where I can check their feedback. Everyone I've asked so far has had one. Just something to think about if you ever try again. I have found most people on SCS to be honest and reliable. I hope this experience doesn't sour you on the site. It is really a wonderful community.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you. You may want to contact a moderator and see if she could possibly mediate between you and the seller. I know I would if I could possibly recoup some of my money.

BTW, I have that set and you will enjoy it -- with time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinAngel739View Post
I just thought I would let you all know please be very careful when buying stamps from others on SCS. I am quite new to SCS and was ISO: best of cluck. a SCS member PMed me and told I could have hers for 32.50. shipping included. I thought it was a pretty good bargin cause I live in Canada.

Well It wasnt! I tried to pm her almost everyday to see if the set was shipped yet and I never got a reponse. I ended up quite upset and just wanted a reply asking if the set was ever shippped. I bought the set on March 20 and still havent received it. I bought another set from another SCS member on the 26th and received i yesturday.

Here's the worst part. Last night when I got home from work at 1130pm I saw a UPS tag on my door. saying that I missed a package and I owed 33.60 I called them this morning and aske if the package was big they said it was quite small....

can you beilve it, she send it UPS!!!! not regualar mail????? I am so mad. I still havent received it I am waiting for UPS to deleiver it. so this stamp set which was suppose to cost me 32.50 shipping inculded is going to cost me 65.50!!! I was thinking about just sending it back to her, but decided I was still going to be out the money I paid her, so I will pay the UPS shipping and have the stamp set.

so just a warning to please make sure you clearing state to ship the stamps or what ever you buy regualr mail! I will never buy a thing off of SCS again, I feel so used, and embarressed! thank you for letting me vent, it feels good to get it out!
I am sooo sorry this has happened to you!! I can only imagine how you must feel. But please know that there are far more honest people on SCS than not. If this person is not responding to your emails/pm's than I would email a moderator and see if they can help. Maybe they have a way to get her to respond. Again so sorry that you had to shell out that much for a stamp set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I am sorry about what happened to you.

Something similar happen to me on eBay and that's what you do there!! I thought everything was straight and narrow but you never know...

Please trust us. There are lots of GREAT people on here that could never even imagine doing something like that. I sincerely hope that the mistake was UPS's, and not a SCSer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAstamperView Post
I am sooo sorry you had a bad experience. I have a bought a quite a few things on SCS and have had very good experiences so far. If I do have a bit of a larger purchase, I ask if they have an eBay user id where I can check their feedback. Everyone I've asked so far has had one. Just something to think about if you ever try again. I have found most people on SCS to be honest and reliable. I hope this experience doesn't sour you on the site. It is really a wonderful community.
I agree. I've done many trades and sales here and every one has been great. The idea about checking Ebay user id is a good one; something to consider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Sorry you had such a bad experience. So rude for them to not respond to your emails. The first time I ever shipped anything to Canada it was a huge ordeal. It was an ebay transaction and I had stated that I would be shipping UPS - I had NO idea that would create so many issues. The buyer got kind of snippy with me, which I didn't appreciate. He knew I didn't have any experience shipping into Canada and the tip about shipping via USPS would have been great on the front end.

I wouldn't rule out buying from SCS, but it would probably be wise to make sure anyone you buy from knows how to ship into your Country without it causing you a ton of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I am so sorry this happened to you. You really need to contact a moderate, so they can contact the seller to see what happened and try to reslove this situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I do not understand why she would send it COD if you already paid her. Sounds fishy to me. Now she will get paid twice for the set when you pick it up. I would see if her phone number is listed and give her a call!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Warning - JMO

I wouldn't pay the UPS shipping and I would contact the mods in the BST forum for assistance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Amanda,

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I would recommend, as others have mentioned, contacting one of the moderators in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum and they will help you resolve this issue.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

When something is shipped from US to Canada by UPS, we Canadians get hit with a HUGE fee from UPS ... so she already paid the shipping to the person she bought it from ... then when UPS delivers it, they collect their fees and it is ALWAYS outrageous ... it is not her seller's fault, but her seller should have asked her how she wanted it shipped -- this is a HUGE issue -- UPS is not cost effective for us Canadians. So the person didnt actually send it COD, she's paid, got her money. Now UPS collects what they need to collect before she can have the package. They are a major rip off in my books. Much more cost effective to ship by USPS and deal with the wait. This is my opinion. I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I would doubt that the charge is for COD shipping. Through past experience, UPS charges really high brokerage fees. It sounds like the charge is likely the brokerage charge plus the applicable taxes - i.e. GST. Unfortunately those charges would have been avoided or lessened by shipping by mail. Good luck!
What's another word for synonym?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
When something is shipped from US to Canada by UPS, we Canadians get hit with a HUGE fee from UPS ... so she already paid the shipping to the person she bought it from ... then when UPS delivers it, they collect their fees and it is ALWAYS outrageous ... it is not her seller's fault, but her seller should have asked her how she wanted it shipped -- this is a HUGE issue -- UPS is not cost effective for us Canadians. So the person didnt actually send it COD, she's paid, got her money. Now UPS collects what they need to collect before she can have the package. They are a major rip off in my books. Much more cost effective to ship by USPS and deal with the wait. This is my opinion. I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that UPS did this to Canadian recipients. Wow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryj106View Post
I would doubt that the charge is for COD shipping. Through past experience, UPS charges really high brokerage fees. It sounds like the charge is likely the brokerage charge plus the applicable taxes - i.e. GST. Unfortunately those charges would have been avoided or lessened by shipping by mail. Good luck!
This is EXACTLY what I was trying to say -- but couldnt think of the words "brokerage charge" !!!! Thank you for explaining it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I am so sorry for you, whether this was a misunderstanding or not. That is a lot of money regardless, even though it's a set that you really wanted. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Maybe her computer is broke down or something to. I would still try to get ahold of her. It could all be innoccent. KWIM? I would never have known not to us ups. I usually go through the post office so I wouldn't have sent it that way. She might not even be aware that it would be an issue. Sorry about your unhappy situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Thanks for clarifying the UPS situation...I had NO idea they did this to Canadian residents.

I hope you can find a good resolution to make you feel better. Sorry it worked out the way it did for you (both).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm sorry for your bad experience. Unfortunately, anywhere where private parties buy and sell, there will be a few bad apples out there.

I've completed quite a few transactions here and on ebay, I've found the buyers and sellers on Splitcoast to be FAR more honest and responsive.

I would definitely contact a Mod. Let us know how it works out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

My goodness what an awful experience. I have heard many horror stories about the BST forum, but I have never had a bad experience.

As far as UPS COD, I have a friend that just ordered some hair products from a spa in Arizona (we are in IL). The COD was more than what the products cost! So, I would never use COD, much less internationally.

So sorry for your bad experience, but don't give up on us SCSers -- a lot of us are very honest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Canadian prairie girl, lost in all the wind and snow!

My word! Sorry this happened to you. That lady has some gall!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #24  
Queen Chat Box Chick

Ok............just to clarify. UPS does not clear customs themselves. They have a "broker" that does it and thats what you are being charged. Duty PLUS brokerage fees. The seller probably thought she was doing you a favor by sending it UPS so that you would get it faster. ALOT of people in the US don't know (and really, might not have the need to know) that USPS is a better shipping option for Canadians.
Bottom line.........I'm sure the seller didn't send it UPS knowing you would have extra fees. I've bought from eBay and the same thing happened. I never complained or left a negative feedback, because I didn't specify and the seller thought she was doing a "good thing".
My advice.........(for what its worth)............suck it up and chalk it up to a lesson learned to specify what shipping you would like. If a seller wants to send UPS.........either pay the fees or move on to another seller. You can get some great deals here on SCS from some great people. I have gotten some nice stamp sets and I'm always grateful to US SCS'ers that will make the effort to sell to us Canadians!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks ladies! I feel better! once I actully see the package i will take a look at it, it should say if the shipper paid anything. I did pm the shipper last night and told her if I didnt her from her today that I would contact a moderator, i havent recieved a thing from her, maybe tomorrow morning I will contact a moderator(I am at work right now)...there must be one for the ISO forum.

Thank you once again, I defintly will not give up on buying here on SCS, I will just be very leary about it and defintly ask about a ebay account and double check there!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

P.S I am just sucking it up and paying it...i will defintly ask for things to shipped regular mail...canada post or USPS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

could you just refuse the package and have the lady mail it?or would she than have to pay the brokerage fee?:confused:
member #1989

if you don't talk to your cat about catnip who will?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #28  
Inking Addict

This is a tough one. What I am not understanding here is why everyone is totally bashing the seller. She probably had no idea that UPS would be charging such high fees. This sounds like an honest misunderstanding...the package didn't come COD so I am not sure how the mods could help. I once had a buyer flip out at me because I didn't mark a package as a gift (it wasn't) and she had to pay fees on it.

I didn't know about the high fees UPS charges Canadians so I could see how another person might not either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by nursechrissyView Post
Ok............just to clarify. UPS does not clear customs themselves. They have a "broker" that does it and thats what you are being charged. Duty PLUS brokerage fees. The seller probably thought she was doing you a favor by sending it UPS so that you would get it faster. ALOT of people in the US don't know (and really, might not have the need to know) that USPS is a better shipping option for Canadians.
Bottom line.........I'm sure the seller didn't send it UPS knowing you would have extra fees. I've bought from eBay and the same thing happened. I never complained or left a negative feedback, because I didn't specify and the seller thought she was doing a "good thing".
My advice.........(for what its worth)............suck it up and chalk it up to a lesson learned to specify what shipping you would like. If a seller wants to send UPS.........either pay the fees or move on to another seller. You can get some great deals here on SCS from some great people. I have gotten some nice stamp sets and I'm always grateful to US SCS'ers that will make the effort to sell to us Canadians!

I always send my in-laws packages thru UPS (they are in Vancouver). Does that mean they always have to pay a fee when they get their package? They have never said anything to me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

by what I am reading I would guess so...

Now that I understand this brockage fee thingy...i am still a little POed that she hasnt replied to any of my PM's.....Oh Well!!! what can you do.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Was this person a demonstrator? I thought we couldn't sell current or retired sets to anyone out of the U.S. I wish I had this set, I'd send it to you.

hope it all works out and you get your set ~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #32  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapmomto3View Post
This is a tough one. What I am not understanding here is why everyone is totally bashing the seller. She probably had no idea that UPS would be charging such high fees. This sounds like an honest misunderstanding...the package didn't come COD so I am not sure how the mods could help. I once had a buyer flip out at me because I didn't mark a package as a gift (it wasn't) and she had to pay fees on it.

I didn't know about the high fees UPS charges Canadians so I could see how another person might not either.
also didn't know about any of these fees.....

Why did this get moved from GST to Demo Chit chat????

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow. That's just outrageous. Sorry this happened to you. I definitely would not stop trading though. I've done probably 30 trades or so and haven't had any problems. I would just tell people you trade with in the future that it needs to be sent usps.

I don't see how the seller is at fault though. She probably had no idea. I mean, I guess she could be at fault for waiting a long time to mail it, but as far as the extra charges, I wouldn't blame her for that. Well and maybe not responding to your PM's, lol. Have you checked her profile to see when she was last online? Unless she is marked invisible it will tell you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapmomto3View Post

I completely agree. I'm so sorry about the misunderstanding, but I don't have any concerns about the seller. I figured as soon as I read your post that it was the brokerage fee, not a cod fee. The seller did nothing wrong at all, so there's no reason to think badly of her.

I do think it totally sucks, the whole US-Canada shipping charges. Still, you could have said something, too, such as "how will you be shipping?" lol...I always want to know what to look for, whether it's mail or UPS. In this case, since you knew there were potential problems depending on how the package was shipped, you were the one who had more reason to speak up.

I'd also have to say that it can be pretty unfair when a whole bunch of people wanting to convey sympathy to the op really start trashing the other party without knowing all the facts. It's possible to send a hug and good wishes without stooping to bashing anybody...doncha think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I have no idea why it was moved here??? it has nothing to do with being a demo??? i have no idea if she was a demo or not. and i did look at her last post and it was back in Feb..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

I had no idea about fees until I came on here and posted...now that I know I will be very clear on how I want it shipped
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am sorry this happened to you. I have to say that I have only had good experiences here. One time, I needed a box, yes, a box, and some nice woman mailed me the box-for free. There are many good people on SCS, I hope that you don't lose faith in this site. I hope everything works out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

No I wont lose faith on everyone here... SCS Rocks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

You're not alone!!!

I've been hit by the brokerage fees & it can sure hurt!!! But I've also had stuff come through UPS (Fedex, etc) that didn't have any brokerage fees on it.

I've often wondered if it's just a random "let's charge brokerage on this one today":rolleyes: ... on that note I've also been hit with extra charges from Canada Post (who Cdns get it from when a USer sends by USPS), brokerage fee/processing fee (which is less than UPS but usually more than the GST) & GST (CDN service tax, the usual reason the package goes through a broker in the first place). From what I understand, Canadians shouldn't (?) get charged with duty from the USA, unless the item is originally from outside the USA, & the GST should be only on NEW goods, not used (so marking an item as that might be another trick to try to avoid an extra unexpected charge).

I totally understand & can relate to your frustration with the unexpected charge. What I can't understand is why the seller hasn't responded back to you. If the seller did have the best of intentions, I would have thought that you would have heard from her. My only other thought is that I hope she (the seller) is okay & that nothing bad has happened that's preventing her from responding.

My thoughts are with you & I hope any future interactions go smoothly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh my goodness, I'm coming in on this late but from what I can gather, our OP had to pay more $$ in COD and brokerage fees than she paid for a $32 Best of Cluck set which was also supposed to include shipping??? YIKES!!! Honey, don't you apologize, I would be squawking too! And rec'd it AFTER she had given up and purchased another one? ouch!

Not sure if the seller sent it asap and it sat around in shipping for all that time (I guess about 3 weeks from making the arrangements to getting the UPS notice?) or not but it wasn't kind of your seller not to at least answer your posts about when to expect the set. I'm sure that both seller and buyer were not aware of the highway robbery which would be taking place enroute and that is truly a very sad and upsetting situation for you. I can only send cyberhugs and hope that you won't take it out on the chicken and that you will love it to pieces! Maybe you can sell the other set &at least re"coop" (yes, yes...I know how it's supposed to be spelled) part of your investment.

Jan

Last edited by inkerzaway; 04-08-2008 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes