Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2023, 06:41 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Velvet (or flocked) cardstock

I was just reorganizing my huge paper stash and I found some gorgeous black velvet (or flocked) cardstock. I know I bought it because of some technique I saw, but have no idea now what that technique was. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do with this lovely paper? Can it be embossed in an embossing folder? Can I stamp on it? Can I use Versamark and embossing powder. I only have 5 sheets, so I don't want to use it all just "playing".
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
DancesWithHooves (10-24-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 03:51 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 591 Likes on 243 Posts

Ages ago there was a hot trend of "burn-out velvet." It was done with fabric and solid image stamps. Here's how I did it with paper:
Put a hard surface like a wood cutting board on your ironing board, heat iron to medium, no steam
Place rubber stamp face up on board
Lightly mist velvety side of cs with water, place face down on top of stamp
Set iron down on top of paper, do not move around
Image should burn into velvet quite quickly, take a peek and watch that you are not burning through
to the back of the paper

This technique may not be at all what you were looking for but it is the only use I've found for velvet paper (besides die cutting Christmas stockings and textured holly accents).

Mary Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lutheran:
DancesWithHooves (10-27-2023), gobarb26 (10-25-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 06:50 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
Ages ago there was a hot trend of "burn-out velvet." It was done with fabric and solid image stamps. Here's how I did it with paper:
Put a hard surface like a wood cutting board on your ironing board, heat iron to medium, no steam
Place rubber stamp face up on board
Lightly mist velvety side of cs with water, place face down on top of stamp
Set iron down on top of paper, do not move around
Image should burn into velvet quite quickly, take a peek and watch that you are not burning through
to the back of the paper

This technique may not be at all what you were looking for but it is the only use I've found for velvet paper (besides die cutting Christmas stockings and textured holly accents).

Mary Beth
This is so bizarre - I literally thought about this for the first time in a long time this morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
DancesWithHooves (10-27-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 08:39 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

You can definitely emboss it too. It will be subtle but visible. Especially with a 3D folder.
​​​​See post #7 in this thread: WT780 - A Recipe for Love - 02/20/2020 by ravengirl at Splitcoaststampers

Black velvet paper is great for Halloween cats if you have a cat die.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2023, 02:22 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I dont know the answers to your Qs but here are some ideas:

I like it for die cuts, and for decorative strips on cards. Even as a narrow band instead of ribbon. Just make sure you do very little glue (double sided sheet is better) and spread it very thin and get it on quickly as it will dry fast. You avoid lumps that way. Makes the card like one of those touch and feel books for the babies. So a rubber duckie die would be fun for a baby's welcome or bday card. Red I would be cutting hearts.

Now you have black....with Halloween coming up.. do you have any bat dies? Or a witch hat? You could make one.

Would make for a very pretty ornament die cut if you want to glue thin ribbon or rhinestones or sequins on it. Or just a pretty circle.

You could die cut in a frame shape to go around a center sentiment.

You may be able to paint on it with a shimmer ink (since it is black-a white one would show regular inks). I am not positive but I think unlike paint, it wont harden the fuzz effect? I have not tried it yet. Like H2Os or a spray...when you have some scraps-test those.

Flowers. You could die cut those and either layer them or mix with paper CS-a pretty DP and layer them.

You could a bold multi-color BG and then die cut it as a silhouette cover scene to lay over it.

Or just like a single image silhouette like a deer in the woods.

Or you could do a simple strip cards on the diagonal and use some for special interest mixed with DPs and solids.

Or you could do a cover die in stripes and then inlay a bold counter like gold, or a bright color or rainbow stripes. Or a glitter paper if you wanted a huge pow.

Lots of things to do with it! Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
gobarb26 (10-25-2023), Paula in GA (10-25-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 07:15 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! I think I remember the "burnout" technique from ages ago too. It probably was why I have the flocked paper. I will have to give it a try and post the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2023, 05:59 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 253 Likes on 137 Posts

For the ironing technique, you do not need to use a solid stamp. You can use an outline or somewhat detail stamp, too. I remember using a rose on red velvet paper years ago and it came out great. Too long ago for me to have a picture of it---before digital.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by jeanne3579:
DancesWithHooves (10-27-2023), mcost (10-26-2023)