Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using USPS Online system for mailing Swaps

Has anyone ever used the Online USPS system for printing their labels and sending their packages out without going to the post office?

I ordered a whole bunch of free Priority Shipping boxes and envelopes and was going to try to use the online system for making the label, paying the postage and then just dropping it in my mailbox for the mailman to pick up and see how that works.

The PO is always closed when i get out of work and I have to go on Saturdays, so this might make things a whole lot easier and I was wondering if anyone else does it.

The boxes and envelope were free from the online site and are also available at the PO. I just keep a stack at home and put my swaps into it to mail out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have used it in the past for Priority Mail packages/envelopes. I liked it, as long as you have a scale you should have no problem. You can even drop any packages under 13 oz. in any mailbox, but if it's over, you have to hand it in at a PO window. I use Endicia now, but only because I want to be able to print 1st class mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I have and I love it - some priority packages are even cheaper if you do them on line. For a while, the small box was like 20 cents cheaper if you created an account and printed your labels from the site. It's so convenient.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #4  
neglecting the kids and housework

There is no way I'm collecting packages, two kids under 5 and myself to drive across town to get things mailed. It might be cheaper to mail some things first class but not if it entails all of that :rolleyes:

If I can't quite gauge the weight I simply step on my wii with the fit program and get an accurate measurement. But most often I ship in flatrate and yes those fees are discounted in you print online. I just leave a note in my mail slot that there are outgoing packages at my door. My door isnt' visible from the street but my mail slot is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks guys! I'm going to try it!

It will save me a whole lotta stress doing those PO errands and trying to tell DH what kind of postage I need when he runs to the PO for me.

He's been getting to be a mighty good Swap Mailer these days.

Unemployment has its perks when you have a "Cinderfella" at home who can't watch the game on TV until all his errands and chores are done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamperView Post
There is no way I'm collecting packages, two kids under 5 and myself to drive across town to get things mailed. It might be cheaper to mail some things first class but not if it entails all of that :rolleyes:

If I can't quite gauge the weight I simply step on my wii with the fit program and get an accurate measurement. But most often I ship in flatrate and yes those fees are discounted in you print online. I just leave a note in my mail slot that there are outgoing packages at my door. My door isnt' visible from the street but my mail slot is.
Wii Fit! Brilliant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

i've been doing this for awhile and can't believe how convenient it is. the only problem is that in order to get your pkgs, picked up, you have to have at least one priority package. after you print your postage, you can go to "schedule a pickup". if my packages are first class and in small manilla envelopes, i just put them in the mailbos and put the flag up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #8  
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post
Wii Fit! Brilliant!
well I have to use it for something don't I?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

I think it is great...cheaper and much easier! You also get free delivery confirmation when you send priority mail via the online system with carrier pickup.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I love it!
If you print your postage online you can drop it in the box OR you can even schedule a pickup for the next day. It does not matter the weight as long as you have a printed label....whether it's from USPS or one of the postage sites. As long as there is some sort of "ID" that they can track your package should it turn out to be used for nefarious reasons, it's all good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

They do require you to "hand" the postman any international packages, now whether your postman will stick to this rule is hard to tell. But other than that you can print 1st class online as well as priority. Anything under 13 ounces can go first class in the US, and anything under 4 pounds can go first class internationally. And then there all those nice flat rate boxes! Like someone else said USPS will pick all of it up as long as you have one priority. I am lucky mine pick it up irregardless of if there are any priority, but I guess that would be another "try it and see" type of thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can buy a postal scale for $20 at Walmart. I have one and it is awesome for swaps and anything else you ship.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
I have used it in the past for Priority Mail packages/envelopes. I liked it, as long as you have a scale you should have no problem. You can even drop any packages under 13 oz. in any mailbox, but if it's over, you have to hand it in at a PO window. I use Endicia now, but only because I want to be able to print 1st class mail.
Actually, the rule says "any package over 13 oz. bearing stamps" must be taken inside the post office. If you use printed (i.e. trackable back to you) postage, you can drop it in any box as long as it will fit. Or if you take it to the post office, you can just drop it on the end of the counter along with all of the packages from the big ebay sellers, since you've already put your printed postage on it. This all assumes domestic packages, of course, not international.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 02:31 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
Actually, the rule says "any package over 13 oz. bearing stamps" must be taken inside the post office. If you use printed (i.e. trackable back to you) postage, you can drop it in any box as long as it will fit. Or if you take it to the post office, you can just drop it on the end of the counter along with all of the packages from the big ebay sellers, since you've already put your printed postage on it. This all assumes domestic packages, of course, not international.
Thanks for clarifying that, really good to know! I guess I didn't read the sign on the mailbox carefully enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I do this all the time! I just use the Priority Small Flat Rate Boxes and put my cards in a gallon size ziploc bag. I always just put the boxes in the mailbox with the flag up and have had no issues. When I have had to ship 3d projects or scrapbook pages, I will still print my postage at home but I will take it inside the post office just to be safe!

You get a discount and you don't have to stand in line forever!
Reply With Quote Likes