Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to cgpage
Question using a sewing machine in cardmaking

I like very much the idea if using my sewing machine for card making but i am a little bit confused : do I need a smaller needle or thinner one (if there is any) and which is the right setting as far a stitch width/length.
If somebody can help me with this questions I would much appreciate it.
Thanks!
Carla
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I moved this to a place I think will get more views
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

thanks Lydia, I'll wait for answers here...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,909 Likes on 2,180 Posts

I'm using the same needle that came with the machine. Works great. I don't sew on material as of yet, but I think I will just have spare needles on hand in case I dull the other one from cardmaking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Thanks Kathy:
What is your setting for length and stitch width and tension?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

the reason I ask this in particular is because I made some wallets for my youngest daughter's class they turned out really nice but something in the stitching bothered me, and wonder if any of my settings should've been different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

You don't need a special needle although it is a good idea to keep one that you use just on paper rather than use one you'll be using on fabric too.

Set your stitch length fairly long - paper does not have "give" like fabric and if the holes are too close together it will tend to tear. Other than that, it's just a case of playing with the tension if necessary and then having fun!

You might want to practise on something like a couple of layers of scrap copy paper (to get closer to the thickness of cardstock) to test things like stitch length for straight stitch, width for zig zag etc. All machines are that little bit different so just figuring out what's best on yours on some scrap paper might help save some heartache later.

I used a CD marker to make a dot on my width and length setting dials so it's easy to use the same setting for zig zag each time I want it rather than having to guess!

The only other thing to remember is to dust out the bobbin chamber fairly regularly to make sure you don't get paper "dust" building up in there.

Have fun!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Thank You Joanne! great advice I will put in practice what you have mentioned, this will really help me for future projects.
Have a great day
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgpageView Post
Thanks Kathy:
What is your setting for length and stitch width and tension?
Length is about 2 1/2 and I go back and forth from straight stitch to zigzag. Haven't played around with much more than that because that's all I've needed for my cards so far. I like Angelnorths idea of cleaning out the bobbin chamber...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
You don't need a special needle although it is a good idea to keep one that you use just on paper rather than use one you'll be using on fabric too . . . The only other thing to remember is to dust out the bobbin chamber fairly regularly to make sure you don't get paper "dust" building up in there. Have fun!
As always, Angelnorth, a wonderfully detailed answer!

I just checked your profile and see that you are a proof reader and copy editor. No wonder your posts are so informative and easy to understand.

I am a former newspaper reporter, although you'd not know it by some of my posts. I don't type as well on a laptop and I don't go back and check my SCS copy for spelling, punctuation or grammar. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post

I just checked your profile and see that you are a proof reader and copy editor. No wonder your posts are so informative and easy to understand.

I am a former newspaper reporter, although you'd not know it by some of my posts. I don't type as well on a laptop and I don't go back and check my SCS copy for spelling, punctuation or grammar. LOL
She is wonderful, isn't she? I always learn when she posts about something!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's not necessary, but I've found that I like to use upholstery thread when sewing on a card. The thicker thread shows up better...more contrast to the paper. I use Coats Extra Strong from Joann's but feel pretty sure any upholstery thread would do nicely. And as others have posted, I always practice on a scrap sheet first to try out different stitch lengths, etc.

Melissa - when we have to start correcting our spelling, punctuation, and grammar, I'm in big trouble! I was a very good speller in school but question myself all the time when typing...and seem to add too many commas.

Last edited by LeisaJane; 11-02-2011 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

I keep a separate needle for my "paper" sewing. Paper can dull a needle.
I love stitching on cards. I like to use rayon thread as it is shiny and looks great on paper.
You can use cotton or polyester, too. Length of stitch depends on your purpose. Write down your tension, width and length, then do a sample on your cardstock. I have done that for several settings for both straight stitch and zig zag stitch. I refer to this sheet often. I have quite a few sample in my gallery. Good Luck and happy Stampin' and Stitchin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 01:57 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

:oops: You have me blushing Melissa and Kathy! Thanks for your sweet comments! I tend to switch off the proofreader bit of my brain when I'm online though - forum chat is informal as far as I'm concerned and typos, misspellings and stray apostrophes are all fair game!

I'm with Leisa on the thicker thread issue too - you seem to get better stitch definition and a look that is somehow slightly more luxurious than with regular thread.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post

I think the same thing every time I read one of her posts! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Thumbs up

Interesting input from all of you ladies, I will definitely use your advice and put them into practice. My best to you all and Thanks again, this forum has been very informative.
Happy Stamping and yes Stitiching too!
;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do ALOT of sewing, but of course mostly on fabric. There are a couple of things I would recommend for sewing on paper;

Use a SHARP needle - not a universal or ball point needle. The needle needs to literally punch through the paper, not push the fibers aside as on fabric.

LOOSEN the top tension - you want the thread to be very visible and lay on top of the paper - not meld into the material as when you are sewing on fabric.

Use a stabilizer under the paper. The results are far superior. Stabilizer is very cheap and even a very lightweight stabilizer will give your stitches more definition and really make them pop. It will also help the feed dogs "grab" better.

Use a mechanical sewing machine if at all possible. Some computerized machines just don't like sewing on paper. (ask me how I know).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
I do ALOT of sewing, but of course mostly on fabric. There are a couple of things I would recommend for sewing on paper;

Use a SHARP needle - not a universal or ball point needle. The needle needs to literally punch through the paper, not push the fibers aside as on fabric.

LOOSEN the top tension - you want the thread to be very visible and lay on top of the paper - not meld into the material as when you are sewing on fabric.

Use a stabilizer under the paper. The results are far superior. Stabilizer is very cheap and even a very lightweight stabilizer will give your stitches more definition and really make them pop. It will also help the feed dogs "grab" better.

Use a mechanical sewing machine if at all possible. Some computerized machines just don't like sewing on paper. (ask me how I know).
This may sound like a dumb question, but what is a stabalizer? You offer some very good points. I will check my needle to see what's in there. My tension is set at 2 1/2 so which way loosens it? I have only used my machine for cardstock and haven't used it a lot yet. Some have suggested a heavier thread, but I had trouble when I tried using a heavier thread. What are your thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use an older needle because paper will dull the needle just like paper dulls scissors. I also use a little longer stitch length than I typically do when sewing. The stitches show up better. Also I like to play with the fancy stitches on my cards and scrapbook pages. You can even use the stretch ones to jazz things up. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
This may sound like a dumb question, but what is a stabalizer? You offer some very good points. I will check my needle to see what's in there. My tension is set at 2 1/2 so which way loosens it? I have only used my machine for cardstock and haven't used it a lot yet. Some have suggested a heavier thread, but I had trouble when I tried using a heavier thread. What are your thoughts on that?
I think it's my stitch length that is 2 1/2 not the tension...I will have to go look to be sure though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

What is a strong and thick enough thread to be seen easily on a card? My sewing thread is so thin, you can't even barely see it. I cannot get up and go to a store, or else I would be able to see spools of threads and compare them. I have to order online so any help would be appreciated :* thankeeee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonaRoseView Post
What is a strong and thick enough thread to be seen easily on a card? My sewing thread is so thin, you can't even barely see it. I cannot get up and go to a store, or else I would be able to see spools of threads and compare them. I have to order online so any help would be appreciated :* thankeeee
I usually use Gutermann Top Stitch thread for a heavier weight that's still absolutely fine in a sewing machine (if you go too thick, threads tend to be suitable for hand stitching but won't run through a regular domestic sewing machine). Do remember to put the same thread in your spool too - if you try with thin thread there and thick thread on top your tension will go completely haywire!

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Seeing this 2011 thread revived prompts me to share my experience about sewing on cards.

2011 is probably the time I decided to experiment with this technique. I've sewed clothing and other things for years and years, but had never sewed on paper. Lots of people said they didn't use their "good" sewing machine to do this, but had another machine reserved just for paper. I had a nice expensive Singer, and didn't want to take any chances on messing it up.

Okay....So I looked all over online and found the Janome Sew Mini at a great price and got one. Set it all up and sewed up a storm on about 6 cards. Decided that the sewing look on cards just didn't suit my style of card making. Put the Janome back in its box.

My daughter decided she wanted to learn to sew clothes for her little girls, so I gave the Janome to her. She has used it quite a bit.

I have not sewed on another card since 2011.:mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

At least you didn't spend a lot of money on a machine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Ditto what Joanne says about the top-stitching thread, and I have also successfully used the buttonhole one.
I must admit that I do use my regular clear nylon thread in the bobbin, and haven't had any tension problems but I do always stitch an inch or two as a trial on the same combination of card/paper layering that I'll be using for the finished project.
Just like I always do a tension sample before I start sewing ;-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
At least you didn't spend a lot of money on a machine!
Right! And my daughter has enjoyed using the machine, so it was a worthwhile purchase.

She doesn't do paper craft, so some of my other "wish I hadn't got that" purchases are still languishing in my craft room.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love to sew on cards. I went to sears and got the cheapest Kenmore for 79.99 and its great for cards.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I usually use Gutermann Top Stitch thread for a heavier weight that's still absolutely fine in a sewing machine (if you go too thick, threads tend to be suitable for hand stitching but won't run through a regular domestic sewing machine). Do remember to put the same thread in your spool too - if you try with thin thread there and thick thread on top your tension will go completely haywire!

HTH!
Ahhh lovely. This really helps me - thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Seeing this 2011 thread revived prompts me to share my experience about sewing on cards.

2011 is probably the time I decided to experiment with this technique. I've sewed clothing and other things for years and years, but had never sewed on paper. Lots of people said they didn't use their "good" sewing machine to do this, but had another machine reserved just for paper. I had a nice expensive Singer, and didn't want to take any chances on messing it up.

Okay....So I looked all over online and found the Janome Sew Mini at a great price and got one. Set it all up and sewed up a storm on about 6 cards. Decided that the sewing look on cards just didn't suit my style of card making. Put the Janome back in its box.

My daughter decided she wanted to learn to sew clothes for her little girls, so I gave the Janome to her. She has used it quite a bit.

I have not sewed on another card since 2011.:mrgreen:

Yes, I have a Pfaff and don't want to take a chance of ruining any part of it sewing on cards. So I, too, got the Janome Sew Mini - it's so light and easy to use, I love that part of it. Wish it had about 30 more stitch designs though. But it does the job. Thank you for sharing!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

One thing I didn't see addressed here (but I could have missed it) is about using and adhesive. Whenever I sew on a card I use my adhesive in the center of the card only. I once used a tape runner on more than that and the needle gunks up quite bad and you have to clean it or get a new needle. I like a little adhesive to help hold it in place when sewing, just learned to make sure it is not in the stitching area!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2014, 12:16 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Thank you for that tip. I am so grateful. I was planning to sew a paper project on my computerized machine this week. You saved me just in the nick of time.

I did have a mechanical machine. I went down to one sewing machine after I moved. I regret it. Wished I kept both. I am going to have to pick up a mechanical.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2014, 04:02 AM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

I got a singer at Walmart for about $80. I thought about the janome but I can sew clothes wit the singer too so its simple and perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes