Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #81  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a great group! This is definitely something I need to do! I felt so good last week to cut up the very last piece of my Mint Melody SU paper. GADS--I hated that color and it felt so good to have it GONE FOR GOOD!

I also used up some black and white ribbon I had but then I made the mistake of buying two more yards when I saw it in the store last week, LOL!

It really helped me out to kit up some supplies to have a stamping group at my house but then everyone canceled on me so I never got to use them. Hopefully we will reschedule so I don't have to worry about getting rid of the kits someday, hahaha!
My A Muse Studio Webstore Senior Associate #1114
My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #82  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Reading through this thread was so entertaining! I am amongst friends! Don't you think most of us are like everyone else here in this thread? We all want to save it so it doesn't run out? Hoard a little --or a lot--hehe--just in case! I know more people like this than who are not like this!! Truly, especially in this craft of card making or scrapbooking I know more people with so much stuff they may never use it all. Ever. I feel most of us hoard! I did read or watch a blog though that taught to-USE IT! They always have more!! Even if you have stuff so long it is obsolete, you know something else is out there that is like it! I try to keep that in mind when I think I have too much paper. Don't hoard, just use it! It was made to be used, not saved. I keep telling myself this, but I just don't listen!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #83  
Insane Embellisher

i totally want to use up my stash!
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #84  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
Don't hoard, just use it! It was made to be used, not saved. I keep telling myself this, but I just don't listen!
I like this quote - "It was made to be used, not saved!" So when I am going through all of my stuff and organizing it better so I can actually see what I have, when I come across things that I do not think I will use.....I will pass them on to someone who CAN use them! I have been saving my paper scraps for a fellow Split Coast lady who makes cards for soldiers. I am trying to fill a box with odds and ends for her before I mail it off. I feel good knowing someone will get good use out of my misfit stuff.
Matt 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #85  
Insane Embellisher

I am packing for a weekend retreat, and haven't purchased anything at all yet. I hope to just use things from my house. I also sent some cards to a lady in the swap forum who is doing a fundraiser for Japan and the tsunamai.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #86  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angela1View Post
You all should check out the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog.
Counterfeit Kit Challenge
This is my second month participating and I have been inspired to make more pages, cards etc. than ever. The best part, it has all been done with items from my stash.
Thanks
Ang
Love this idea~ Love the idea of making up my own kits with what I already have. Thanks for sharing the links and ideas!
I have found recently, thanks to a suggestion here, that if I use the supplies I like best, I like the project better. Although, I have been suprised when using paper I didn't think I liked, at how well some of the pages or cards turned out.
I just have limited room and spending more money on "stuff" is getting me away from my goals I had set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #87  
Rubber Obsessor

Exclamation

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconBertilleView Post
I wonder what it would feel like to use up the last sheet in a paper stack?

:eek: *GASP* Aacckk! I feel an anxiety attack coming on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #88  
Rubber Obsessor

Exclamation STOP RIGHT THERE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampztoomuchView Post
I think I subconsciously feel unworthy of using things up, since I don't think of myself as a real artist.
Whoa! Back up Sister! Can I just say that I've been to your blog; I have looked at your work. I have read your posts.

Mel, you are a real artist. Only a real artist could come up with and produce the lovely things you do.

OK-- I feel better now. Back to your regularly scheduled thread. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #89  
Pearl-ExPert

So, what is everyone using up this summer???

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #90  
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up I am using.....

up my Christmas paper and eyelets. For the first time ever, I am making everyone homemade cards.

Hope to crank out a certain number every week.

The great thing is I have so much stash on hand that all I have to buy to make these is adhesive and envelopes!

Whoo Hoo!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #91  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 591 Likes on 243 Posts

My hoarding problem boils down to one item -- 12x12 patterned paper. I have more than a lifetime's worth, all organized and ready to use. About two years ago I stopped buying more, except for a few things here and there. Lately I have made a big effort to use it up -- covering file folders, magazine files, gift wrap for tiny gifts, etc. Plus, I pulled out a big stack to give to the preschool at church. I feel so much less encumbered by paper!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #92  
Pearl-ExPert

I had fun cutting into some older BG paper stacks, using up my pearls, playing with some ribbon that's been sitting pretty for a while and making a ton of cards...

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #93  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts
Default I went through all of my patterned paper!

It took me all afternoon, but I went through all the papers, stacks, and paper pads that I have accumulated over the past 10 years. I do it every year, but this time I was able to part with enough paper to fill an entire Cropper Hopper vertical paper holder. :rolleyes: Luckily, my daughter and niece join me on Friday nights for scrapbooking, and Haley was thrilled when she saw all the paper they're getting. Now the hard part is going to be keeping my paper buying under control. I've gotten a lot more selective with my buying, so that should (hopefully) make it a little easier.

You know, this has actually inspired me to scrapbook and stamp even more, because now I get to use the stuff I really love!

Here's a tip I'd like to share. If you're planning to do some serious purging of your supplies, watch Hoarders while you do it. It worked for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #94  
Pearl-ExPert

[Here's a tip I'd like to share. If you're planning to do some serious purging of your supplies, watch Hoarders while you do it. It worked for me.[/QUOTE]

That is great! I love that show and every time I watch I feel the sudden urge to go clean something!!!

By the way, I copied the scrapbook page on the cover of the new Creating Keepsakes and I used stash only. Hooray for me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #95  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a lot of stuff thinking of the possibilities, but when I go to actually use it, I don't know what to do with it. I also found that things I once thought were so pretty and now I don't like them. Sigh! The only scraps I can bear to throw out (and even then sometimes I keep them) are ones that are smaller than a penny. My logic? I might be able to use it for a faux brad. Yes, I know I have a problem. I think about cleaning out my smallest, junkiest scraps and my resolution lasts until I get ready to open the drawer. So what do I do now? Pat myself on the back for being eco-friendly by not wasting them. Hah, I never said I was sane!
I did however take three sheets of paper from a mat stack and made those cute little cards that open up like a box. I used a sheet once before so that's four down, 176 to go. In the race to use it, I'm off like a herd of turtles! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #96  
Glitter Guru

Good going, girls! Yesterday I used a sheet of patterned paper from a stack and one from a pack I've had for years to do a school layout. It was fun matching papers from totally unrelated collections!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogzrulecaView Post
I bought a lot of stuff thinking of the possibilities, but when I go to actually use it, I don't know what to do with it. I also found that things I once thought were so pretty and now I don't like them. Sigh! The only scraps I can bear to throw out (and even then sometimes I keep them) are ones that are smaller than a penny. My logic? I might be able to use it for a faux brad. Yes, I know I have a problem. I think about cleaning out my smallest, junkiest scraps and my resolution lasts until I get ready to open the drawer. So what do I do now? Pat myself on the back for being eco-friendly by not wasting them. Hah, I never said I was sane!
I did however take three sheets of paper from a mat stack and made those cute little cards that open up like a box. I used a sheet once before so that's four down, 176 to go. In the race to use it, I'm off like a herd of turtles! :rolleyes:
Cute post! You know, we all say "lol" a lot, but "off like a herd of turtles!" actually did make me laught out loud all by myself here at my computer.

And, I will deny it if I'm asked, but I'm actually every bit as bad as you are.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #98  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogzrulecaView Post
Ooo! Faux brads. That is brilliant! I am going to try that. Thanks for the tip!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #99  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great thread! It's so liberating to cut into a piece of paper that has been "just too pretty" to cut up! I also started making some envelopes with paper that I know I'll never use, but just can't get rid of. Even more liberating when I messed up on one and balled it up with a devlish grin on my face! lol

Here's my mantra: It's okay to use it up because some company out there will make something even cuter some day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #100  
Pearl-ExPert

I spent several days this summer reorganizing my craft room. I papercraft, quilt, hook rugs, and cross stitch. Got stuff? You betcha! What I realized is I have a lot of stuff I really like, some of it more than the stuff in the stores now. So these days I don't have any problem shopping my stash, I rediscovered how much I really like the things I have. So, shopping has dropped down on my list and creating has climbed to the top. For once in my life I am proud to say: I AM A USER!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #101  
Matboard Maniac

Default card stock envelopes

I have so much plain colored card stock. I know you can make envy's out of patterned paper but what about all that colored card stock. This would be a great way for me to eliminate a real glut of paper. Is card stock to heavy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #102  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

I would think that card stock would be too heavy and increase the cost of mailing, but it can be made into those nifty boxes to hold a set of gift cards. I have also used some of the old stuff to "pad" a card that has some embellishments on them to reduce the amount of postage as it disguises the small brads enough to make it unbumpy. I just cut it to 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 and keep a stack on hand. You could also use your card stock to make some cards for Operation Write Home. It's an organization that ships cards to the troops so they can send a note home easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been using my stash little by little, and not buying as much as before, but wont lie, I keep getting cute stamps sets when I see them haha.
But what I've been doing different is leaving the package in my desk and making a card from that set before I put away, I would usually get package and put away but than forget I bought it, so not no more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

I"ve been using cardstock for envelopes as well, but mainly for the ones that i'm handing out by person. or for special orders that way i use up all that cardstock., I havent bought a new pack of cardstock all this year, amazing! but thats how much paper I had.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #105  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary JBView Post
I have so much plain colored card stock. I know you can make envy's out of patterned paper but what about all that colored card stock. This would be a great way for me to eliminate a real glut of paper. Is card stock to heavy?
I love to make envies of the pattern paper, but I agree that regular cardstock might be too heavy.

I make quite a few sets of notecards throughout the year to give as gifts. You might use your colored cardstock for that. I like to keep them simple, with very little stamping, so they go together very quickly.

A design I've used a lot and that people love uses the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder on the front. You can place the folder sideways on the card and emboss first the top of the card. This leaves a space that is not embossed on the bottom. Leave a plain border across the card, and use the folder again on about the bottom 1" of the card.

Use your Scorepal to score across the border. Stamp a simple sentiment on the plain border you've created. I use something like "just a note" or even "hello" on the front. The inside is left blank.

Here is an example of this technique that I used to make my Christmas cards this year, using the CB snowflake folder. In order to use this technique, you need for your A2 size card to fold at the top, and not the side:

Oh Deer - So Happy Christmas is Almost Here! by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Also, you could use all that cardstock to make matching boxes for your notecards. Here is a great, simple tutorial that I use all the time. It is shown with a scallop edge and stamped top, but I usually just make it plain and add a matching belly band:

Splitcoaststampers - A2 Card Project Tutorial by Beate Johns

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #106  
Matboard Maniac

Default Faux Brads

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleloverView Post
Ooo! Faux brads. That is brilliant! I am going to try that. Thanks for the tip!

Beaglelover
I usually use one of the punches in my eyelet kit. It's like making faux buttons. Cut a few in the size you want to get the right thickness, glue together, apply to project and use Glossy Accents to make it shiny. Depending on how tiny, you may want to sand the edges after gluing together. It's a fairly quick fix when you don't have matching brads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #107  
Pearl-ExPert

I have used a ton of my older patterned paper and dug out some stamps I've had for years and didn't use much... I just love shopping in my own stash!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #108  
Glitter Guru

Keep up the great work, ladies! I just took down a storage box that I've had since
2002. It's by Colorbok, and it was part of a kit I bought from QVC. I've already used or given away all the papers, eyelets, stickers, etc. that came in the kit. I'm using the box for a flower kit that was part of the "goodies" we got at CK Scrap and Play last year. I knew I'd use that box for something, and it only took me 9 years to do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #109  
Gallery Gazer

Here's what happens when you hoard:

IT GOES OUT OF STYLE!!!

Use it now while you love it!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #110  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm trying. It's not easy. Just bought some SU stamp sets. One was Kindness Matters. I just love those two words together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 AM   #111  
Die Cut Diva

I have my adult niece staying with me for a while. She loves to craft, but has no budget to do so. So I turned her loose in my room and told her to use whatever she liked. And she has! She has no idea what is "the good stuff" or what is retired, discontinued, etc. She just uses whatever grabs her eye.

I'll admit, the first time I saw her use my retired SU DSP and Tim Holtz metal embellishments, I felt a twinge. But when I saw how proud she was of the pages (she's doing a wedding scrapbook) she made and how she ran to show them to her husband, it felt GOOD! She'll go home with a beautiful book that she's proud of and my stash will be the teensy, tiniest bit thinner. Win-win!

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #112  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
Here's what happens when you hoard:

IT GOES OUT OF STYLE!!!

Use it now while you love it!
AMEN! Why does it take so long to figure this out? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #113  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I have my adult niece staying with me for a while. She loves to craft, but has no budget to do so. So I turned her loose in my room and told her to use whatever she liked. And she has! She has no idea what is "the good stuff" or what is retired, discontinued, etc. She just uses whatever grabs her eye.

I'll admit, the first time I saw her use my retired SU DSP and Tim Holtz metal embellishments, I felt a twinge. But when I saw how proud she was of the pages (she's doing a wedding scrapbook) she made and how she ran to show them to her husband, it felt GOOD! She'll go home with a beautiful book that she's proud of and my stash will be the teensy, tiniest bit thinner. Win-win!
This makes me happy! You are doing a good thing!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #114  
Glitter Guru

I just posted a video on my blog today for using up scraps of paper. I make mini memo pads, and it's super easy. I love reading about what all of you have been doing with your stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #115  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I just posted a video on my blog today for using up scraps of paper. I make mini memo pads, and it's super easy. I love reading about what all of you have been doing with your stash.
Loved your tutorial! I had no idea you could use rubber cement like that. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #116  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Loved your tutorial! I had no idea you could use rubber cement like that. Thanks.
Thanks so much! I'm glad you liked it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #117  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Wow! That was so fun to watch and LEARN! Me and you both Bugga - I had no idea. And I never even thought to use up all my light colored paper (that you can write on) to cut up and stick in my square acrylic memo note holder! The one I keep by the phone.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #118  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabbydesignsView Post
Wow! That was so fun to watch and LEARN! Me and you both Bugga - I had no idea. And I never even thought to use up all my light colored paper (that you can write on) to cut up and stick in my square acrylic memo note holder! The one I keep by the phone.

Thank you.
Oh, that's a great idea too! I'm glad you liked the video, and thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #119  
Inking Addict

Last January I made the decision to make 2011 the year to use only supplies that I've had forever. So far I've done pretty good. I've also purged a lot and either given or sold lots of "stuff". It's a pretty good feeling when you realize you don't have to look at supplies that you didn't really like in the first place because they are now gone. Now if I can just keep from buying! I will, I will, I will!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #120  
Gallery Gazer

I am currently going into week 4 of a self-imposed shopping ban. I have been motivating myself by using items in my stash and posting my creations on my blog with a weekly You Tube video. It is the best thing I have ever done for challenging my creativity. I have been tempted and am running a little low on some basics, but I will get by. Most of us have too much and we need to use what we have and appreciate what we have.
Reply With Quote Likes