Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Which to use.... Adorondack Alcohol Inks or Pinata Inks???

With all of the talent floating around this site, I know someone out there can help me.... I've never used either but want to create backgrounds on tiles, dominos, etc & will then stamp the image using either black or brown StazOn.
Can anyone tell me how either of these inks have worked for you? Which would you recommend?
TIA,
Kitty
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2005, 01:54 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have almost every color of pinanta inks and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. They work well on every surface I have tried. They dry extremely fast too. I usually use an alligator clip that holds a folded up piece of felt to apply the colors. I also use a krylon leafing pen, either gold, silver or bronze. They work great and are more convenient than metallic reinkers. My friend Jody (TexasJodyLynn) uses the adirondak inks. She can tell you what she thinks about them. Hope this helps!!

My Gallery: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...500&ppuser=874
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #3  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

As Tracy mentioned, I use the adirondack alcohol inks. I got them at first because they were on sale. They are very similar products... just a different brand. I have used Tracy's pinata inks and I think the color may be a bit more vibrant with pinata inks. We made a card together with them and I LOVE how it came out.

I use them the same way Tracy mentioned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2005, 07:31 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know if you really want to buy alcohol ink, but you can achieve the same look without using your stamp money. I have done the same technique using reinkers and alcohol on a cotton swab on dominoes or tiles and it works great. Use two or three colors that blend well together and a drop of alcohol on a cotton ball, use dpt to apply metalic ink to the domino or tile (if you want marbling) then dab away.

BTW, chalks work well on dominoes or tiles if you are going to seal them. This is a mixture of alcohol dabbing and chalks:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2005, 12:09 AM   #5  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I just got some alcohol inks to do the Alcohol Splash technique - it's in the Oct. 2005 issue of Technique Junkies newsletter, www.patstamps.com, you'd have to subscribe. It uses glossy paper - anyway, I haven't done it yet, but I got them just for this!!!! I have seen some awesome cards with it. Nobody has specifically stated which brand they used, but I only saw the Adirondack at my local stamping store, so that's what I got!!

Oh my there's one in the gallery, and I've seen it before and LOVE IT:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I'll be sure to share once I use mine.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2005, 06:03 AM   #6  
PAPER SCAPER

I just went to a free demonstration for these inks a couple weeks ago. She was doing card backgrounds on glossy c/s and it looked great and when I get the extra money I have to find some inks and try it.

I just wanted to pass on what she used for the tool in place of the clip. She had a block of wood about 3/4 by 2 inches that her husband cut for her. On the wood she had the gripper side of a velcro strip, then she just put her felt right to the velcro and it held and was working away.
Her bag was full of felt already cut to size. You can buy that velcro strip at most dollar stores and it's a sticky back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2005, 07:20 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71
I just went to a free demonstration for these inks a couple weeks ago. She was doing card backgrounds on glossy c/s and it looked great and when I get the extra money I have to find some inks and try it.

I just wanted to pass on what she used for the tool in place of the clip. She had a block of wood about 3/4 by 2 inches that her husband cut for her. On the wood she had the gripper side of a velcro strip, then she just put her felt right to the velcro and it held and was working away.
Her bag was full of felt already cut to size. You can buy that velcro strip at most dollar stores and it's a sticky back.
Ranger also makes a stamping block with a handle on it and the velcro already attached. They also sell the little felt squares. My husband doesn't "do" woodshop, so I had to purchase it! LOL It is a LOT easier than using the alligator clip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2005, 08:04 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by santakitty
Which would you recommend?
BOTH ;) I had the chance to play with both in a class at my LSS and had great results! Your choice really depends on your preference as far as color palette is concerned. The Adirondaks are more earthy tones and the Pinata's are brighter more primary colors and jewel tones. They both achieve very nice results and you can mix and match brands without a problem. I do buy the Adirondak extender fluid because it is cheaper but recently read that it leaves a duller finish and if you want a shinier finish to use the Pinata Claro extender.
HTH,
Fran #1698
Matt Kenseth- GO #17

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by msamethyst1
BOTH ;) I had the chance to play with both in a class at my LSS and had great results! Your choice really depends on your preference as far as color palette is concerned. The Adirondaks are more earthy tones and the Pinata's are brighter more primary colors and jewel tones. They both achieve very nice results and you can mix and match brands without a problem. I do buy the Adirondak extender fluid because it is cheaper but recently read that it leaves a duller finish and if you want a shinier finish to use the Pinata Claro extender.
HTH,
I do agree about the brightness. I think I may buy some of the pinata extender and see if it makes a difference in my adirondack inks finish then. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2005, 08:52 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

MUCH THANKS EVERYONE!! I've used the alcohol/SU reinkers on glossy c/s & love the look I was able to achieve. Used the same exact technique on tiles & even after leaving them sit for several hours, the ink just wiped right off with a paper towel. Since I want more earthy tones I'm going to try the Adorondack alcohol inks & see how they work. Was going to look for metallic reinkers but will Krylon metallic pen instead.
I'll let you know what happens........ off to ACMoore (they have a 50% coupon I can use - may be a local thing - they were on the counters at check out last week).
Kitty
Reply With Quote Likes