Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2022, 06:02 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default USB sticks

A lot of TV craft channels are now selling USB sticks with "printable elements" like patterned paper, digistamps, characters, and more. So anyone buying this would have to have a great printer and some fairly heavy paper. I assume that for the digistamps you have to cut them out by hand once you've printed them. I can see this could be very profitable for the person/company selling it and it may be helpful to the crafter only in that they can be used over and over, although I don't know if many of us would want to do that. So, if you have bought a USB like that, how do you like it? How have you used it? What format (JPG, PDF, DOC, etc) are the elements? Do you find it expensive in terms of paper, ink, etc. and good quality?
As you can probably tell, I'm considering buying one, but want some real time advice first. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
craneacres (02-03-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 10:32 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I haven’t bought a USB stick but most of my paper crafting is printables. Back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s I was a designer.
Printables give you a lot of options. I know it seems expensive but it really is not that expensive. I am going to be blunt so I know this might receive some debate. I think stamping is more expensive than printables.

Up front costs of printables tools and supplies can be expensive if you want to be advanced or have higher end items. I spend less than $100 a year on printables. That is on the high side.

Printables I have lots of reuse, even more so than my stamps. I can manipulate, resize, layer, incorporate, colorize, etc with printables.

You don’t need heavy paper to print. The majority of the time I use 65 lb cardstock or printer paper. I also print on vellum, acetate, paper towels, sticker variety of cardstock, glossy, index cards. Paper choice the limit is pretty much unlimited if you have a decent printer. My main printer is a $30 Canon wired printer that is a little workhorse.

If you don’t want to cut by hand you can use a Cricut, Silhouette or Scanncut.

Modern graphics are mainly PNG or PDF format. If die cutting from a machine the designer will include an SVG. Some designers also include the formats that is your machines native file extension. For example Silhouette dog.studio3.

I will give my setup for when I was literally poor and just starting. Now, this setup was for the 90’s but I will update for 2022. When I started I printed from the computer library. Yes, these were paid designs. 2022 you can buy your designs, use a free graphic’s program like Gimp to fix your designs the way want them. Then you can send to your libraries web site. The next time you are in the library you retrieve your file and print. Larger libraries have this program but do check at the smaller libraries too. I know this is long but I want to add a couple more tips for those who do not have a home computer. You can buy your graphics using the library computer. Use an online graphics program, you can save your purchased graphics on a cloud sever. You can also buy USB sticks from your library to save your file or bring your own USB in, if the library will allow you to do that, If you have a sucky library an office supply store you can use their printer services.

This is my set up now. I want to add a disclaimer. I do freelance design work for the gaming industry so my setup is more unique and complicated. In no way you will need to do this.

I have three printers. My cheapie Canon. HP Office Jet & an old Samsung laser printer. Canon Printer I pay about $100 a year for ink. I print a lot on high/best quality. HP OfficeJet I use their Printer program that I get to print out a certain number of pages per month. I am doing 100 pages now for around $7 a month. HP ink program replaces your ink as part of the subscription. You must have good Internet for this program. Canon has a similar program for their higher end printers. Epsom has the eco tank that you can refill.

Die cutters I have the Porttrait 3, Cricut Maker & Brother Snc SDX85M. I mainly use my Portrait for Printables because it gives me more options for my skill level. As of 2022 all three machines are excellent printable die cutters. Really the choice comes down to your skill level and what you feel most comfortable with.

I use my Portrait and my Canon the most for crafting printables. If I had to update or pare down I would choose the Portrait, Wired printer and a photo printer. Ladies I just realized I was able to pare down more for the move when typing this, lol.

The last thing you will need are scissors. This is both beginner and advanced. You will want multiple scissors. Detail for fine details. Simple scissors just for simple cutting and microtip for intricate work. If you can afford it then you might want to add a paper trimmer, craft knife, self healing mat, metal ruler. Those items are not really needed. I cut for years only using scissors. I still do to this day.

I think I covered the basics. I am on my iPad so not my best typing. I have storm alerts in my ear, so I am distracted. If you have any questions don’t be afraid to ask or need clarification.

Last edited by lylacfey; 02-01-2022 at 10:47 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 12 users liked this post by lylacfey:
123scrap (02-02-2022), AussieJenny (02-03-2022), craneacres (02-03-2022), fl_beachbum (02-02-2022), Lovingstamps (02-02-2022), MN_Stamper (02-02-2022), paulaflies (02-02-2022), pressed4time (02-03-2022), skm330mks (02-02-2022), Teachybaby (02-02-2022), TexasGrammy (02-04-2022), wyobart (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 04:08 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, what a lot of helpful information. Thank you very much! I'll have to take some time to digest all this. I don't have a machine that cuts like the Scan n'Cut so I would have to hand cut everything. That's probably my least favorite craft task. My printer (HP Envy 5030) is pretty good and I'm on the ink program,too.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:59 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

I use printables often as a supplement to physical stamping. It really is less expensive than buying stamps and dies, and there are more and more great vendors of digital products. I agree with he great information provided by lylacfey above. My favorite use is to combine multiple elements in my software and then printout. It saves the time of masking stamps or cutting and layering and looks better than having the white border around all the pieces. That said, I do have a Scan 'n' Cut, although don't use it much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2022, 07:03 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to say that I LOVE my Epson printer ET-4760, it was over two years before I needed ink. The money I save on ink is astounding. I haven't bought a usb stick either. Not sure I would want one, I love stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with lylacfey, 95 % of all of my crafting are done with printables. I have used them for everything from making a card to making 3d boxes and bags. I also used to design my own printables and owned two websites that sold printables solely. The best part is the saving on storage space in my craft room. Everything is on a jump drive that I can also take with me wherever I go.
Its like taking hundred of stamps along with you. I love it. I also have a Silhouette Cameo as well as the Brother Scan and Cut to cut them out, although I find fussy cutting very relaxing.
Reply With Quote Likes
craneacres (02-03-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Such a lot of great information. I have never used digital stamping and wouldn’t know where to begin. Can anyone provide help to me in identifying favourite sites for digital stamps. That would be so helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
craneacres (02-03-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

My favorite site for digital stamps is:

Power Poppy https://powerpoppy.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2022, 01:59 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you Inking Addict for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2022, 10:33 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Favorite Digi Sites-
https://www.mosdigitalpencil.com
https://www.mybestiesshop.com/store/...d_Products.htm
www.snapclicksupply.com

Etsy is a treasure trove for digital everything. The stamps are mind blowing array of everything.

Google free digital stamps. Look for legitimate stamp sites that give out freebies. It is a nice way to build up a beginner collection while you are trying to learn if this is a good hobby for you to get into.

Also look for coloring book artists that sell digital copies of their coloring books. You are allowed to resize and use those images as digital stamps. This is my main way of getting stamps now. You can look for legitimate free images from these artists too,

For those of us who have a cutting machine remember you can take any file you own and convert it to a digital stamp, legitimately, in your cutting machines software. It is very easy to do. I am on my iPad and not by my computer. I would have wrote a quick tutorial. I do think PattyAnne has a tutorial covering this. She does a lot with digital stamping- https://pattyannesplace.blog

Yes, Google is a trove. I know so many are struggling right now. I am not judging if you are downloading. I would be a hypocrite if I was. ;) I downloaded the most beautiful coloring page of Belle around Christmas for my journal. I don’t sale my creations. It is important to me as a digital artist to support digital artists.

If I am Googling and come across a cute bear from a digital artist and I see she is selling it for $6. I am not paying that. I will look at her site to see if she has freebies. I will download those. I will get on her mailing list for sales. Then when cute bear goes on sale for a dollar or two. I will buy a few more images from her if they are on sale.

I would like to give a tip to digital artist. Don’t over price yourself out of the market, Some digi stamps are way to expensive. I get it. Trust me I really do. You spend five hours trying to get one little tiny detail right, then you spend two hours editing, then you convert for different formats, well you are wanting to price your image for one thousand dollars, lol. Then nobody is going to buy it. You might have the cutest bear in the world but some other designer will have the cutest bear too but cheaper. Her bear is all over Instagram and being turned into a physical stamp.

I over priced when I started and nobody would purchase my files. When I lowered my price I got one hundred purchases in one day. My name got spread and I sold more files. Don’t make your price point to low either. Try to moderate.

Side note- I know I will get an email or pm about my work. I do plan to design again. My designs were to help pay for my child’s medical bills. When I lost him it shook me up design wise. I have been working on the cutest designs. My mojo is back, When I get settled from the crazy move I plan to sell again.

Any questions don’t be afraid to ask. I have lots of sources and experience I can share.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lylacfey:
craneacres (02-03-2022), hockeymum13 (02-05-2022), Nightcrawler (02-05-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 05:17 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have never purchased any digital stamps, but I know The Graphics Fairy has a great selection of vintage images for free. They are beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
craneacres (02-03-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 09:43 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Is there such a thing as beginner you tubes a person could watch about this subject? Like a 101 course total view vs how a particular piece of equipment works that you guys who know what you are talking about like?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2022, 11:57 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Is there such a thing as beginner you tubes a person could watch about this subject? Like a 101 course total view vs how a particular piece of equipment works that you guys who know what you are talking about like?
Margot- Give me specific's & I will try to find you something. I use to do tutorials. I don't mind doing some YT videos. I am a bit overwhelmed now with the move everything. In a week or two I can try to make a video.

Let me know what you want to start with or what you are interested in. I have a lot of resources to share from basic to advanced everything from fussy cutting, digitals, Cricut, Silhouette, SnC. Seriously, I have tons of resources. Don't be shy asking. I know there is a lot of influencer videos. Try to stay away from those because they will train you into bad digital habits, that will cost money in the long run.

I have a few things I quickly pulled up I hope will help.

https://www.youtube.com/c/NitwitCollections/videos This is a store. I love his tutorials. He does use a lot of freeware. He does have a Cricut & some of his tutorials do cover the Cricut. His tutorials are easy enough to understand you wouldn't need a machine to do them.

CraftingWithLiller her printable videos are a treasure. I think they really help beginners.
How to Print Digital Paper
How to cut & work with digital collections.
Ephemera vs Store Pack. I think this is a good one for this forum. It will help answers some of those questions that have been brought up in the past about digitals.

Natasha's Hensel's Print Digital stamps is a very old video. I think it is one of the best. It still applies today. This is a good one for all of you who want to use your word processiong program to manipulate, resize your images without getting into a graphic's software-

Last edited by lylacfey; 02-07-2022 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lylacfey:
AussieJenny (02-08-2022), wyobart (02-13-2022)