Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unmount SU Stamps Yet another question

Here goes. I have an eight year collection of SU. Out of space!!
It will be labor intensive to unmount those older stamps, so I am researching the idea of using Tack N Peel. How would I store the stamps after I unmount them? I was planning to use a three ring binder and laminated pages, but I am not sure the stamps will stay in place. Does anyone have experience with this? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks this place is great. hpcurling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Default unmounting stamps

Hey, I found through researching...maybe...EZ mount with the Stamp n Stor System. They said to be careful with storage that the adhesive used is compatible with the mounting surface. They have plastic boards to go in binder using EZ mount as the mounting medium. It does seem a bit pricey. The website is Sunday International, just google. Hope this helps, you may have already known this??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have not tried Tack 'n Peel, but have tried lots of different "systems" over the years. Just a few months ago decided that Aleene's Tack-It-Over-and-Over has worked the best for me and lasted the longest of any products that I tried.

� EZ-Mount is expensive especially for changing SU sets
� Double stick tape on the acrylic block gets messy
� Vinyl Cling loses its "clinginess" (ditto for ez-mount)

Regarding storage of unmounted stamps, mine are all in 3-ring binders. I had some problems at first with stamps falling off from open pages, so I put all of them on a sheet of plastic and then slide that sheet into a page protector.
Report covers make a good plastic sheet to stick the stamps on. You just have to cut them down, as they are a bit larger than 8.5x11. I also stamp the set(s) onto paper and slide that in behind the plastic sheet. Helps me find where they belong after I pull a set out.

I have a couple of pictures if you would like me to attach them.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for your response. I think I will go for the EZ mount thin. I have a BIG task to do. Hope all goes well and I find more space in my stamping room. My husband does not know where his room stretcher is so I must try to solve my own problem. Maybe I should stay out of the SU catty. Won't Happen!!!! hpcurling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpcurlingView Post
Thanks for your response. I think I will go for the EZ mount thin. I have a BIG task to do. Hope all goes well and I find more space in my stamping room. My husband does not know where his room stretcher is so I must try to solve my own problem. Maybe I should stay out of the SU catty. Won't Happen!!!! hpcurling
If you have a pile to do, a hot knife apparently cuts through the EZ mount like butter, and does a better job of curves and such than scissors. There are threads on here about recommendations for which hot knife works best. If you decide to use scissors, make sure to dust around the stamp (on the sticky side of the ezmount) with baby powder before you cut to minimize sticking.

Btw, I store my naked rubber to use with my tack-n-peeled acrylic blocks in baseball card collector sheets. I get them at the dollar store. They go into a 3 ring binder which I have organized similarly to the SU catalog. I use one sheet per stamp set and label the top of the sheet with the set name. HTH!

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eyelet..."
Gallery & Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

The baseball card sheets sound like a good idea. I have a few in my ATC notebook. Thinking........? I have several photo sleeves too.... maybe for the larger stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks again. This is such a hard thing for me to do. I usually like to keep things as they were made. I know the space will be wonderful. I just want to get my stamps in some better order so I can take advantage of my collection. I love seeing the stamps used in so many creative ways and I know organization is very important. Thanks everyone. hpcurling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried the tack and peel and it is great. I had thought about using the pages for trading cards to store stamps in a binder, but ended up ordering the thin ezmount as on some I really like the cushion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

The aleenes tack it sounds pretty easy (no trimming) and less expensive. But how do you actually unmount the stamps? Do you keep the foam portion attached or just the rubber? I have a major collection of stamps too and have been thinking about doing this. The clear blocks seem to help with placement? Any tips would be great. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 03:04 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I used the Tack it Over & Over this summer to unmount all my stamps.

I went down to bare rubber and I love it (I use a mouse pad under my cardstock for padding when I stamp with the bare rubber). I carefully peeled all the foam off all my SU sets. It didn't take any time at all. If adhesive remains on the rubber of the SU sets, it usually will rub right off.

I had about 1100 individual stamps (including the SU stamps) to unmount. It took me about 3 weeks. I did about 10 sets a day, or until I got tired of doing it, then I'd enjoy stamping awhile with my newly unmounted stamps.

The TIO&O was painted on thinly with a paint brush and didn't take any time at all to dry.

I was also able to more closely trim the rubber once the foam and wood was gone.

I still have part of the first bottle I bought. I cleaned the paint brush with Goo Gone.

Warning: Goo Gone cannot be used on rubber stamps. It states right on the bottle do not use on rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:16 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

If EZ mount loses it's 'stickiness' just rinse the stamp under running water. Be careful if it is a small stamp, you don't want to lose it down the drain. The water rinses off any dust/dirt accumulation and the EZ mount will stick like new once it is dry.

I think the same would apply to the Tack and Peel.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:08 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I just went through unmounting all of my SU stamps. It took me months, and I used over 200 CD cases! I peeled the rubber off the stamp and used the Tack it Over and Over on the backs. When the rubber stuck, and some of the older ones do, I just warmed the rubber side of my stamp for about 20-30 seconds with my heat gun to loosen the glue, and it peeled right off! When you start, set yourself a small goal for each day, so you're not overwhelmed! It is sooooo nice to have all mine in drawers and divided into sections, where I can find exactly what I want in seconds! Way worth the effort!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandthem3View Post
The aleenes tack it sounds pretty easy (no trimming) and less expensive. But how do you actually unmount the stamps? Do you keep the foam portion attached or just the rubber? I have a major collection of stamps too and have been thinking about doing this. The clear blocks seem to help with placement? Any tips would be great. Thanks for the help.
10 secs in the microwave.
I gently peel them off, foam and all, then peel off the sticker and adhere that to the back of the gray foam (lined up so it matches the image on the front). Then I put a THIN layer of TIOAO on and let dry, use the "stick it to the hand" method described on the bottle. The beauty of this is that you can see perfectly for lining up an image through your acrylic block;).

I then store them on the SU clam shell lid that I cut off of the box or in a CD case if there are lots of pieces. The TIOAO sticks onto the CD case and I can see the sticker through it so I know what's inside. PERFECT!.
pm me if you want a pic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I have a question about Aleene's TIO&O - I have been looking for this stuff but have not found it. Is this the same as Aleene's Original Tacky Glue?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetmeyView Post
I have a question about Aleene's TIO&O - I have been looking for this stuff but have not found it. Is this the same as Aleene's Original Tacky Glue?
No. It is different.
You can find it at Wal-Mart in the craft section. They usually have all the Aleene's different kinds of glue on one shelf.
At Joann's you might find it in the fabric section. Why?... The original purpose of TIO&O was for adhering embroidered emblems, badges, decorations to your clothing. You could temporarily remove the emblem when you put the shirt in the wash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

NOTES:
• Many of my stamps are bare rubber. No cushion. I buy most of them that way. (non-SU) With some cheaper brands a really large stamp may need cushion.

• For SU stamps, the 10 seconds in the microwave is perfect for unmounting. For a couple of years, all I did was dust the back of the SU stamps with baby powder. They were still sticky enough. In fact sometimes too sticky... couldn't get them off the plastic sheet... ripped the cushion... peeled it back to bare rubber.

• I have a quilters cutting mat on my desk. Works for trimming cards with a craft knife and it "gives" just a little for stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 03:57 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone. I have lots of info and ready to go. It is so great to come here for help from other stampers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 04:08 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I had purchased the hot knife too and did the EZ mount I must have 2 left hands as I wasnt impressed on using the EZ mount made a huge mess. Too bad there isnt a class where it is hands on for this.. lol.. I am going with the bare rubber myself.. when I get my head back into stamping *sigh*

If anyone else has ideas on the "no" mess approach I would gladly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 04:14 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I unmounted my stamps to vinyl cling initially, then tried Tack n Peel and liked it so much better, I re-did them all. I store mine in CD cases, in a CD holder. I travel with my stamps so I bought a travel bag with a removable CD insert....works well for me.

I did try putting them on vinyl sheets designed to hold unmounted stamps in a binder, but found them awkward to work with that way.
Reply With Quote Likes