Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Why don't you try tutorials
I didn't know there were tutorials available! 16 26.67%
I'm basically a cardmaker only. 13 21.67%
I'm basically a scrapbooker only. 1 1.67%
I don't have the supplies needed. 4 6.67%
Other...please tell us why! 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2018, 04:51 AM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I really love the tutorials. Until recently (this past summer), the only way I could use one was to use the hard copy. I have a whole binder with past tutorials. Even now, I still save ones I like and that way if the Internet isn't available, I can go to the printed instructions and still make the project.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 05:13 AM   #42  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

The directions Sabrina linked to are good. I'd just add that in step 3 in the first drop down box you choose the Technique Spotlight. Then in the second box choose the name of the tutorial you are following. That way they will come up as examples if someone is searching the gallery for more ideas!

I'm really happy to know others are doing these!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 06:20 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I use the tutorials all the time. Mostly for the techniques, and like Sabrina, I like the written form. If the written form is not clear, I will check the video, as most of them are very well done. I will go back to the written form after that, and even make a copy of those that I use often to keep in my technique book. That way I can write in any changes or helpful hints to myself for future use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 06:22 AM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a lot of the tutorials inhere all the time, and absolutely LOVE them, as they�re very very easy to follow and understand, so I too voted other, because I have used really many of the different tutorials inhere for many years now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

Read through the tuts every week. Print is best for me. I print out the ones I wish to try. Will try and do better about posting when I create something from the tutorial.....I like the brief to the point videos but since computer is upstairs and Room of Chaos is downstairs--I like being able to print it off and take it with me. If I really enjoy it, it goes in my "go to " file for project work.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

So to explain my vote.....I live 4 + hours away from anything resembling a LSS. There are two SU demos in my town but both operate card nights once a month that are basically make and takes and have not taught any techniques at all in the past 5 years. If it wasn't for SCS tuts and the lurking in Swap forums where I can view other's work and sometimes find videos and leads to blogs--I would not have any chance to learn. I am not an artist.....I can follow directions though. And most of the time when I try a tutorial the end result ends up with my own twists on /in it. So---guess what I am saying is to grow I need those helps listed and I do use/enjoy all the sharing done on this site.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #47  
Embossing Fanatic

I use the tutorials and am often looking for ideas!!! I do a "Be Creative" activity with my Family Community Education club thru our County Extension Office and sometimes it will be a snippet of something that I have seen on here or an idea stemming from something I have seen on here. The ladies love it and it introduces them to new ways of doing things. New card folds, new paint/color/marker technique. Something to do with bit and bobs of other projects. Usually not a big deal, but it sparks interest and conversation. I do this in the form of homework. They bring it back the next month and we get to what everyone has done with their new ideas that I have shared. It's fun and they like it. So, yes, I do use the tutorials and look forward to the new ones each week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Tutorials are the first place I search when trying something new. I also use them to refresh my memory for techniques I've done before, especially folds. Having both the listed instructions and videos works well for me. Keep em coming! Today's Drunken Watercolor Powders looks like fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #49  
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm out of watercolor powders so this weeks has to wait a bit. But as soon as I get my hands on some, I'll be getting it done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
Tutorials are the first place I search when trying something new. I also use them to refresh my memory for techniques I've done before, especially folds. Having both the listed instructions and videos works well for me. Keep em coming! Today's Drunken Watercolor Powders looks like fun.

It was . I can't remember the last time I was able to try one on the day. I'd like to try again on Yupo. I was using good glossy card from Clarity Stamps and I found the alcohol dried very quickly on it. I think I could lay my hands on the Ranger's one, I have a few half sheets somewhere, I guess I should try that too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

I also use many of the tutorials but don't post pictures. No scanner and lack of tech knowledge I guess! But I hope you don't stop that feature.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #52  
Compulsive Stamper

I use them all the time!!! Please don't get rid of them!!! I'm what you might call a hit and run crafter. I read the SCS newsletter and the blogs I follow while my son plays video games and hubby get his news fix via the internet. We have our family time together while doing 3 different things but being able to hold a family conversation when one of us wants to share something. When most families are watching tv, we're having a different kind of screen time that's slightly more interactive and occasionally educational. I typically craft when the family is either gone or sleeping, and its rushed and pre-planned based on tutorials and ideas I've gotten from all the reading I've done in the days and weeks leading up to the card-needing event.

At the point when I craft I want to reference the tutorial source, especially if its a special folds card or anything interactive. Or if my 1st attempt didn't go as expected. While I know SCS for some has been a community and source of friendships, I haven't ever shared a single project and have commented on maybe only 3 other threads, likely only because I was especially moved by the topic (purging, mojo, crafting as therapy). I have a limited amount of time to cover a vast amount of inspirational material out there, and taking the time to post my crummy little projects that aren't likely to spur anyone else to greatness haven't seemed like a priority. I wish there was a check box to say you tried a project and liked it, without the pressure of having to share. I also would like to echo others in saying the concise and professional videos of the SCS tutorials are wonderful compared to the assortment available elsewhere. And I appreciate the write up of the steps as much as there are times I want to print it out for future reference.

I assure you there are thousands of silent 'lurkers' for lack of a better term out here that appreciate the tutorials but for various reasons are not comfortable posting their own work (insecurity, tech issues, time, etc). All that said, I'm going to slide back into my own silence... and go make dinner :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #53  
Proud Fan Club Member

I don't think there's any danger of them going away! I was just curious as to whether others were using them because when I go to the gallery for a particular tutorial, many times the only cards or projects in that gallery were by the author, Dina, and myself! I'm happy knowing others are doing them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #54  
Glitter Queen

I'm on pins and needles waiting for each week's Weekly Inkling tutorials and all the good info that comes with it. And I save the ones I think I would try in my favs on Chrome. Love them! (Dina, that's for you. I didn't know about uploading to the technique gallery. I'll look into that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

I love the tutorials! I do watch Lydia on YouTube anytime she posts to catch the latest n greatest new finds and techniques.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: in sunny Florida on the wonderful west coast. Venice FL

karenpagedave's response is pretty much the way I use the tutorials. I don't upload for two reasons: my ability to do anything but simplest gmail is nil! I am a major lurker and don't share results because most everything I make is but a CASE of what has already been shown. I love the creations and can copy most anything but I am certainly not an artist with my own ideas (or at least very seldom). I couldn't continue without SCS and I make sure everyone with even the slightest interest in stamping knows they should follow you. I enjoy the weekly paper and read all the entries, and take advantage of every bit of information in it. If I have the appropriate materials, I take advantage of the tutorials very soon. I find it difficult sometimes to find an older tutorial because it's entered in alphabetical order under the name given to the tutorial rather than a category. There are many, many tutorials (thank you everyone who creates these!) and it takes time to search for the one I want/need when I may not have the time to do that. When I do it, it is a good refresher course of all that SCS active members have done for the stamping field.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

I voted other well because I procrastinate, lost my mojo and haven't really touched any of my supplies in the past 3 years. The only time I have done anything is for my Mother's memorial board and for the card suitcase for for my sons wedding reception. I have said a few times to myself I should do a tutorial a week but .......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

I do look at the tutorials but often don't have time to get them done. But I go back when I am on vacation and try one or two, just didn't think about uploading to them because sometimes they are quite old. I haven't had time to upload in a couple of years, need to get back to that! This site has certainly made my cards much better, along with new dies, stamps, ect, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #59  
Glitter Queen

I love the tutorials. But don't post my results, it's just to difficult with my set up. But love to go check them out and frequently try them or get ideas of other possiblities. Also rarely post, but couldn't let this one pass with out saying THANK YOU to all who make the tutorials!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #60  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 191 Posts

I love the tutorials! It is rare that I make a card with a technique the week it is posted though. I tend to look them up on the Tutorials page from the top right menu. Often, Virtual Stamp Night includes a fancy fold (I struggle with those,) and the tutes save me every time! I have also used them to review older "classic" techniques.

ETA: I usually post my cards by SU stamp set or SCS event (VSN, DTGD) but not by technique. I also generally don't add the technique to my keywords. That would be a simple thing to add.
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 04:25 AM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I occasionally use the tutorials especially for complicated folds/assembly and I truly appreciate the effort it takes to create them.

Mini-whine...I like to have a printed copy but my pet peeve is that the first page doesn't have a picture of the completed project (unless it has changed) so I always have to remake the tutorial so I can have a picture on the front. Why do I want a picture on the first page? So when it's filed in my binder I can flip through to see what the tutorial is for. This completes my mini-whine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 05:50 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I occasionally use the tutorials especially for complicated folds/assembly and I truly appreciate the effort it takes to create them.

Mini-whine...I like to have a printed copy but my pet peeve is that the first page doesn't have a picture of the completed project (unless it has changed) so I always have to remake the tutorial so I can have a picture on the front. Why do I want a picture on the first page? So when it's filed in my binder I can flip through to see what the tutorial is for. This completes my mini-whine.

Your wishes have been fulfilled! There i a picture of the final project at the beginning now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #63  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Your wishes have been fulfilled! There i a picture of the final project at the beginning now.
I went back with these as far back as I could, so everything published after mid-March 2017 has a finished project photo at the top. At the same time, we added a feature so you can click on individual photos to see a larger version!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #64  
Proud Fan Club Member

Wow Dina! That took a lot of work! Thank you for that! I sure hope my suggestion in the technical thread doesn't create more work! Just looking for ways to find things easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #65  

Nope, that would be a simple page tweak by our developers, I think. The publish date is part of the template anyway - it shouldn't be hard to add (probably...? I have no idea.).
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #66  

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Wow Dina! That took a lot of work! Thank you for that!
I did it last November!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #67  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
That is wonderful - I better go out and see what's new!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #68  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Just chiming in to say that I love the tutorials here, both the videos and the written instructions. They have been an invaluable resource for years and I often refer people to them. I'm afraid I'm guilty of not placing the cards I make into the proper technique galleries when I upload - I'll try to remedy that when I've used a particular tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #69  
Cardstock Collector

The tutorials on SCS is one of the main reasons I visit SCS & I know many who do but are not necessarily members of SCS to upload there work.

Mostly I just don't get to have time to create then & there & will make much later but forget to post the creation to the gallery or forget to log in to SCS.

But I appreciate the time & effort that goes into making these tutorials.
I will say i have see lots of artwork in other places e.g. Pinerest where the tutorial has been linked up so I do know lots of people do use them.
Reply With Quote Likes