Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #41  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks are kind of deceiving I think. When I look directly down on the stamp, the sprig is to the right just a smidge. Looking at the pictures, it looks like it's not. Odd. I did notice one thing that might help, though. Even though I had the lines in the X lined up, the center was not at the exact center. Does that make sense? At first glance, it looked like everything was lined up but I did need to move it (down, in my case) a little bit to make the center of the X exact.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found these stamps to be more work than I wanted to give to it. Between making the Xs on the stamp and snugging into the corner of the Misti and rotating the cardstock --I spent hours. I never did get a perfect image. It may have something to do with my sight ... maybe I just can't get the X lines positioned properly. I have given up and am selling mine on yard sale. sigh
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dove13View Post
It may have something to do with my sight ... maybe I just can't get the X lines positioned properly. I have given up and am selling mine on yard sale. sigh

Don't do that! Really, it will work - maybe take a break from it for a week or so and then follow this thread while you try again. I say this for encouragement and no other reason: I am almost completely blind in one eye and have serious issues with depth perception. I had to hunch down and get personal with my stamp positioner to get the stamp in the right place but once it's there, it's there and it's not going anywhere. I hope you don't give up!
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
Looks are kind of deceiving I think. When I look directly down on the stamp, the sprig is to the right just a smidge. Looking at the pictures, it looks like it's not. Odd. I did notice one thing that might help, though. Even though I had the lines in the X lined up, the center was not at the exact center. Does that make sense? At first glance, it looked like everything was lined up but I did need to move it (down, in my case) a little bit to make the center of the X exact.

Yes that does make sense — thank you!

What doesn't make sense is when I get a portion of the stamp aligned on the alignment guide, other parts of the stamp go out of alignment! I have seriously never experienced such a frustrating stamp. I should get my jig on Saturday and after that I will determine if the stamp set gets passed on to some other poor sucker ha ha Ha ha ha
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dove13View Post
I found these stamps to be more work than I wanted to give to it. Between making the Xs on the stamp and snugging into the corner of the Misti and rotating the cardstock --I spent hours. I never did get a perfect image. It may have something to do with my sight ... maybe I just can't get the X lines positioned properly. I have given up and am selling mine on yard sale. sigh

I so appreciate everyone rooting for us here, and all of these fantastic tips, but I think it's okay to move on too. Life is short, and there are so many fabulous, non-frustrating stamps to use. I feel you!:-(
Stampin' Fool

Poppydarling, are you doing the full rotation? I ask because it doesn't really look right until the very last one is stamped. To me, anyway
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Poppydarling, are you doing the full rotation? I ask because it doesn't really look right until the very last one is stamped. To me, anyway

Yes. Over and over again, hoping just one will miraculously turn out
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
If drawing those lines on the stamp is such a critical step to achieving success when stamping with it, why doesn't the manufacturer print them on the back of the stamp? ... I have been looking askance at the "turnabout" stamps, and I'm glad I haven't sprung for them yet. I'll keep watching this thread to see if things improve. Many thanks to the OP poppydarling. Good luck to all!

That's why the company came out with alignment guides for all the turnabouts. A package for all the older stamps is only $4. It eliminates the need for lines since it is a clear sheet with the stamp and lines printed. You put the stamp on the sheet, put the clear sheet on the turntable/jig in the MISTI and close the door over the stamp. Then you remove the clear sheet. Works like a charm.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Glad to know I'm not the only one that has problems with these. Now I, too, want to go home and try mine again!
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THE CARDSTOCK YOUR STAMPING ON MUST BE PERFECT SQUARE. NOT A RECTANGLE
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
That's why the company came out with alignment guides for all the turnabouts. A package for all the older stamps is only $4. It eliminates the need for lines since it is a clear sheet with the stamp and lines printed. You put the stamp on the sheet, put the clear sheet on the turntable/jig in the MISTI and close the door over the stamp. Then you remove the clear sheet. Works like a charm.

So I need to buy a jig ($7.99) a huge pack of alignment guides ($4, and 24 of the 25 I don't need) plus shipping (approx. $6-8 on C&9th site). So we're up to nearly $20.

I worked in marketing for a long time and I have some free advice for the company: Instead of making stampers pay basically twice to use a stamp, they could either: 1) improve the design of the stamp going forward (lines preprinted on the back of the stamp etc.) or 2) send individual alignment guides and those cheap jigs inexpensively, let's say USPS first-class, to everyone who has purchased prior versions, to help frustrated stampers who have already invested in the "turnabout" experience :lol:.

It's pretty simple if you have a customer service mentality -- and you would save people from wading through a 50-post string on Splitcoast Stampers that way. :-)
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by unicornsilView Post

Jennifer McGuire has a long video on using turnabout stamps and she uses rectangular (A2) sized paper , stamps the design asymmetrically/off the paper etc. Seems to work just fine for her as usual but not for me :p
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought 4 turnabouts at my 1st C&9 purchase. 3 worked beautifully, but the 4th did not, no matter how many times I tried. Made my decide not to buy any more... I did get all of the alignment jigs, so that wasn't the issue.
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjzimView Post
Hmm, this thread tells me that I never want to purchase these type stamps, LOL! Way too much fussing for my temperament, lovely as they are!
Some are more forgiving than others! Do not, however, under any circumstances, buy the Dahlia turnabout or you will be carted off to the loony bin while you throw the pieces as far away as you can...
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
...I worked in marketing for a long time and I have some free advice for the company: Instead of making stampers pay basically twice to use a stamp, they could either: 1) improve the design of the stamp going forward (lines preprinted on the back of the stamp etc.) or 2) send individual alignment guides and those cheap jigs inexpensively, let's say USPS first-class, to everyone who has purchased prior versions, to help frustrated stampers who have already invested in the "turnabout" experience :lol:.
I think they got that message going forward, but yes, it's frustrating not to be able to make something work and then have to buy something else to (try to) make it work.
Compulsive Stamper

I get frustrated with these stamps too. Why don't they just manufacture it with the lines on there instead of us having to try and get things absolutely perfect?
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I don't think you should have to pay more money to buy something that should have been included with the stamps in the first place. It's outrageous to expect your customers to plop down more money to make a product work. I, too, believe that it's OK to say, "This isn't for me," and move on. I believe in not frustrating or aggravating myself, if I can help it. In this case, I could help it.
Stampin' Fool

You could always cut a piece of paper 6x6 square and fold it from corner to corner, twice. Draw your lines on the creases and there's your jig. Doesn't cost anything and will probably work the same way. It's a thought.
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemurLoverView Post
Some are more forgiving than others! Do not, however, under any circumstances, buy the Dahlia turnabout or you will be carted off to the loony bin while you throw the pieces as far away as you can...

Oh this made me laugh
Mad Swapper

OK I was disappointed in C&9th customer service and then they sent me this:

Wreath Alignment - YouTube

Unfortunately I've done most of that already but I'll report back when I get my official jig…
Mad Swapper

Quote:

You could always cut a piece of paper 6x6 square and fold it from corner to corner, twice. Draw your lines on the creases and there's your jig. Doesn't cost anything and will probably work the same way. It's a thought.

You would think that would be simple enough but I don't think it's precise enough for this stamp! For instance my 6 x 6 paper from a commercial paper pad was just about an 1/8" to 1/4" off and it didn't turn out…
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by unicornsilView Post
Actually it doesn’t. But it has to be adhered to something that is 6x6”.
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Poppydarling, I want to thank you for alerting me to this customer service disaster of a company. Just my opinion. First they put out a product that's lacking, then they double down on it and you have to have an alignment tool, then you try to call them for help and crickets. Not in a million years would I give them a dollar of my money. P.S. - those of you who can get it to work for you are very lucky people, you are the exception not the norm. Stamps should not be this difficult. Period. End. Stop.
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Yes, the Dahlia turnabout was the one I was having so much trouble with but I was able to get beautiful, perfect images once my husband fixed the x's on the stamp and the jig.
Kookie Creator

Default C&9 Customer Service

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrapView Post
Poppydarling, I want to thank you for alerting me to this customer service disaster of a company. Just my opinion. First they put out a product that's lacking, then they double down on it and you have to have an alignment tool, then you try to call them for help and crickets. Not in a million years would I give them a dollar of my money. P.S. - those of you who can get it to work for you are very lucky people, you are the exception not the norm. Stamps should not be this difficult. Period. End. Stop.

I, too, was disappointed in them. I placed a large order and then...nothing. I emailed them with a complaint because their website turn around (not turnabout!) time was supposed to be only a day or 2, but that had passed quietly (and of course I was impatient to get the stuff!).

I did get an apology email--they said they were busy due to a convention, and they gave me a discount on my next order. Since I'd just placed a big order I wasn't too excited about the discount--I think it had an expiration date on it, too... (but I may be wrong about that). So...frustrating but they did try to help.
Kookie Creator

Quote:

YES! That's the one that gave me trouble, too! It was the last of the ones I got that I tried--the others worked well for me. I haven't used any of them since because that one was so frustrating!

I'm also finding a lot of their turnabout styles are getting...boring. I'm not as interested in them now. Guess I'm saving money.

FYI for those concerned about C&9 customer service: you can also order their stamps from other companies such as Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com.
Compulsive Stamper

FYI - I also had problems with several of the turnabout stamps getting them aligned just right. The measurements of the cardboard jig and the x on it had to be perfect as well as getting the lines on the stamp perfect. Got frustrated with them, but had several and they really didn't get used.

Bought the new pack of alignment guides for all the previous turnabouts and a jig. Stamps perfectly now! I've tried several and they all work now. Even the Dahlia! LOL! Amazing difference for me. I've fallen in love all over again with the polka dot one.

All turnabouts (even the older ones) sold from now on come on WITH the alignment guide. Still need to purchase the jig one time only. Not ideal for people who had purchased previously, but at least they've solved the problem going forward and offered a solution for past purchasers.
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrapView Post

I’ve talked to quite a few people at my LSS (customers/students and staff) who have used turnabout stamps and I have several, and hadn’t heard any complaints. Honestly? I don’t think we’re the exception, maybe are OCD about lines placement? ;)

I’m not discounting your personal experience at all - just that it’s more likely to see posts (on any forum) from people who have had problems with an item than from people who are happy with it. Just my take; YMMV.
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I’ve talked to quite a few people at my LSS (customers/students and staff) who have used turnabout stamps and I have several, and hadn’t heard any complaints. Honestly? I don’t think we’re the exception, maybe are OCD about lines placement? ;)

I’m not discounting your personal experience at all - just that it’s more likely to see posts (on any forum) from people who have had problems with an item than from people who are happy with it. Just my take; YMMV.

The company had to create a whole alignment package to help people make the stamps work. That tells you everything you need to know. wink wink right back at you;)
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
The company had to create a whole alignment package to help people make the stamps work. That tells you everything you need to know. wink wink right back at you;)

Was I winking? I thought I was smiling - bad eyes. Again, not discounting others’ experiences, just describing that my and some others’ experiences have been different - which I hope is acceptable. (I watched the original Jennifer McGuire video, which helped with the first set-up and was nervous doing it.)

As for everything I need to know, clearly there were enough complaints and requests for help that the company decided to make templates. Whether that was 10% of buyers or 50%, we don’t know.

My first turnabout stamp had a small flaw - one triangle wouldn’t stamp completely, even if stamping multiple times. They replaced it after seeing a photo and didn’t ask for the original back.
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

They have downloadable alignment guides. If you have something like transparencies or even vellum, you could print on that.

I have a few turnabouts, nowhere near all of them. I'm not willing to buy the pack of guides for every set. I do have the one you have, Poppy, but I haven't used it yet. Hopefully I can try it tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works, or doesn't as the case may be. I downloaded the guide and have transparencies to print on. If this works, I'll print and send you you one.