Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-04-2004, 12:06 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying this again - Workshop Attendance

How many people are usually invited to and/or attend a basic SU workshop/demonstration?

***Please leave this in General Discussion as I would also like input from hostesses and customers - not just other demos***

Thanks,
Michelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 12:08 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

I've had from 2 (including the hostess) to 18. Average is around 6-8, I'd say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 12:11 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Hi Michelle,
It really varies so much! As a demo, I've taught workshops that had attendees from 2 up to 14. Average around 6-8 I guess! There's so many variables...how much you coach the hostess, day and time of the workshop, how many they invite, how enthusiastic the hostess is...the list goes on. Hope this helps!
Sonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 12:14 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I agree with them, average is 6-8. It depends on the hostess, the location, and also the day (sometimes life is so busy for people). So it can always go either way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 12:15 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I've had anywhere from the hostess + 1 to 13.

This is a sore subject with me. My hostesses always seem to inflate the number of guests. Since I do THO workshops I usually end up with lots of extra supplies. I just carry them over to the next workshop.

Banded 12-13-07
Ask me about it! Start 238 Current 138 Goal 125

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 01:30 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Mine (as a customer) are usually around 5-6 people. I had one with 10 and it was too much and sales weren't significantly greater either. I like the 4-6 people. We are comfortable and have plenty of time and space.

Tonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I've had as few as 2 (both as a hostess & as a demo) and as many as 16. My average is about 8 & that is a good number for me, since I do THO. The one that had 16 was one of my first demos & I learned a lot from it!
Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 01:51 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

My demo averages about 9 to 10, but she has two big tables to put everyone on! One is a collapsable picnic table she only puts up in her living room for the party. Hope this helps! At my last party, I had 10 adults plus 4 children, who had a small card table and two easy projects to do. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 02:24 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Michelle,
A couple of things to keep in mind when inviting people to your show/demo. Are they stampers?? If so, then chances are that they will do anything to be there. A night to play and have fun...come on, beats cleaning up toys and doing laundry. Invite the amount that you want to show up. If some are and some are not stampers, then keep in mind, if you invite say, 16 people, then about half will show. I have found that when I invite a whole lot then it gets to be too much chaos and not a lot of accomplished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Question workshop attendance

At first I was disappointed when I only had a handful of people, but it really turned out great. I always do THO and this helped me to answer questions and help folks more. I usuallly only have 4-6 people and that's OK. I'm wondering about scheduling though. I have just started doing one class per month since I have had a hard time getting hostessing going (in spite of several incentives). I thought I would have them on Sat. mornings...a stamp camp from 9-1. I had 6 people last time and 3 of them were a demonstrator and 2 of her family members. One was my MIL and the other 2 were customers. I'm wondering if there is a better time to schedule? Would Sat. afternoon or eve be better? A weekday evening? Any thoughts? The other benefit to having a smaller number is that I actually get to play too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

It is totally pot luck. Last year, the first Saturday morning in Feb. I had a workshop and everyone I invited attended (14 people!). This year it was cancelled since I was the only one who could make it. (Same weekend, same time, one year later.)

But the more you invite, the more you get. If I remember right, Tupperware uses the rule of three...for every three people you invite, one can make it.

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

What is THO?

Leslie J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2006, 03:34 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

THO means "Totally Hands On". In other words, nothing but "Make & Takes". I signed up as a "Hobby Demo" about 2 years ago, just to get the discount. This past year I started a Stampers' Hostess Club. I have not had to put out any of my own money to make minimums and I still get to order stuff for myself. Word is spreading and more and more people are interested in joining the Club. Right now there are 6 people with another joining this month. I have never sent in just the minimum hostess order. All the club orders each month have been $300 or more. Last month's was $600+. Another lady asked me to let her know when we will meet next month, 'cause she can't come this month. That would make 8 people. I have not done too many workshops outside of my own home, but the ones I did have been THO and very successful. One was over $1,000. I enjoy teaching others stamping tricks and techniques (I am a retired teacher) and I enjoy participating in my hobby with others who love it, too. I have fun, support my hobby, meet interesting people, and laugh. If I was willing to really get out there and spread the word and work it, I am sure I would make a real profit. As it is, I am beginning to do so now and I don't really work at bulding my business. The only CON I can think of is that if you want to turn a good profit, you really have to restrain yourself from buying everything you think you want. Especially stamps. You can end up with many more stamps than you can possibly use -- or store, and you will eat up any profits you might make. As the others have said, "You have nothing to lose by trying it. If you find it isn't working for you, you can quit at any time." Try it - you might like it!
Reply With Quote Likes