Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Totally unmounted - what to do??

I "accidentally" bought some beautiful stamps that are unmounted - just rubber, nothing else!!!! What do I need to do????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

D'oh!! That's what Easy Mount is for... never mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I accidentally got a couple of stamps like that too
I didn't have any E-Z mount so I used double sided tape to hold it on my acrylic mount. I stamped on a mouse pad and it worked fine.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

I use Aleene's tack it over and over. Coat back, let it dry 24 hrs and then they stick to acrylic blocks just just clear stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

I've used double-sided tape in an emergency, but find it sticks to the block afterwards and needs cleaning off - more trouble than I need unless it's an emergency.
I use both Tack it over and over and EZ mount depending on my mood and how often I am likely to use the stamp. And how deeply the rubber is etched, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

I took all mounting stuff off of my stamps and just have the bare rubber. Store them in notebooks. I put the tacky sheet on my acrylic block, bought it at Joann's. Works like a dream. I rarely use a padding under the paper, just stamp on the card stock on the table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I've used double-sided tape in an emergency, but find it sticks to the block afterwards and needs cleaning off - more trouble than I need unless it's an emergency.
I use both Tack it over and over and EZ mount depending on my mood and how often I am likely to use the stamp. And how deeply the rubber is etched, too.
Sabrina - try some Scotch Poster Tape instead. Still double-sided, but comes off the block easily and without leaving residue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I put double sided tape on my acrylic blocks to use with my bare rubber. I cover that with Glad Press n Seal for storage so the tape doesn't get all dusty and then I use the other side of the block for my stamps that have e-z mount. Works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use double sided tape on my bare rubber and a stamping pad under my project. I don't see the point or expense of unmounting only to re-mount on the EZ-Mount product. A stamping pad is only about $7 in the craft store. Yes you could use several sheets of craft foam, but I prefer the stamp pad.

Cleaning off the little bit of sticky from the tape from the acrylic block is no big deal to do. A drop of Goo Be Gone then some soap and water. Tape will last for several times of use. Just remove rubber stamp carefully.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Most of my stamps are bare rubber also. I don't want to add that extra bulk or expense of EZ Mount. I use double sided tape on a acrylic block. My stamping pad is a nice thick piece of foam I bought at my craft store for a $1. It is much thicker than regular foam.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Sabrina - try some Scotch Poster Tape instead. Still double-sided, but comes off the block easily and without leaving residue.
This is what I use all the time for my plain rubber (no cushioning) stamps. I buy a lot like that - cheaper price, less storage space necessary. Love totally unmounted stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for all the alternatives to EZ Mount!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

My life is quite a bit lighter since I unmounted all of my stamps!! Two products I now cannot live without - Aleene's Tack it Over and Over and Stick and Spray from Crafter's Companion. Both work fantastically and for little $$!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen68View Post
I use Aleene's tack it over and over. Coat back, let it dry 24 hrs and then they stick to acrylic blocks just just clear stamps
I have looked for something called Aleene's tack it over and over but cannot find it. Is it actually called that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biko8666View Post
I have looked for something called Aleene's tack it over and over but cannot find it. Is it actually called that?
Yes it is called that. I know Michael's has it. At least my husband got me some there. JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby in my town didn't have it. BUT IT HAS TO BE TACK IT OVER AND OVER. Not Tacky glue, or anything else tacky.

I used to use that, now I use the Tsuenkeo Tack it over sticker on my blocks. Love that, I don't have to mess with the glue as it was such a magnet for pet hair, glitter and EP. If that gets it on, I just have to rinse under water and it's good as new. Plus it's clear so I can still see through my blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biko8666View Post
yep! i found mine at pat catan's

its an awesome repo adhesive
Aleene's� Tack-It Over & Over
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

"Accidentally" mmm I wish all my stamp purchases were accidental then I might be able to stop, but seriously I buy EZ Mount in bulk because most of my stamps are not backed.

I get a lot of stamps internationally and the postage is cheeper when they aren't mounted.

EZ Mount is magic stuff and makes the stamps so easy to store.

Cheers

My Gallery - MyBlog

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow" - Kurt Vonnegut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you I am taking that ad to my Michaels because they swear they don't carry it. I don't have many unmounted stamps and don't want to buy too much in the event I don't want to get rid of my wood mounts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I started out using alieen's tack it over and over. But found you have to be really careful using your stamps. If you sit them down somewhere they will stick to where ever you layed them and ruin your stamp. I am now using a different method. One I learned from someone on SC. I bought vinyl at the fabric store. ( Only buy 10 inches of it as it is 60 inches wide) cost less than 1.00 I believe. I use 4 gauge and 8 gauge. MAKE SURE IT STICKS TO ITSELF. IF IT DOESN'T IT ISN'T VINYL. I use real scotch tape and tape it to itself and then stick it on an acylric block. I next stick the stamp on the tape. Next I stamp the image. Cut around it. Stick 2 way glue on backside of rubber stamp. Put 2 way glue on backside of stamp. Trim image to fit stamp and put on backside of stamp. Next put 2 way glue on image. Put vinyl on top of that and smooth out any wrinkles. Trim. Now you have a cling set for a lot less money. Huff on it before putting to acylic block and it sticks just fine and you don't have to worry about it sticking to anything else. It sounds like a lot of steps, but once you do a few it goes fast. suggest you start with large image first to get the hang of it. I really like this. Putting certain sets in new stampin up cases and rest will go into CDs. My stamp club has a free for all. We get together at least once a month at someone's house and do our own thing and socialize. Doesn't cost anyone anything and you can do whatever you like. Last meeting I was making cling stamps, another was making calendars, another making Christmas cards, and someone else was turning her wooden unmounted stamps into cling stamps. We order pizza and split the cost. Lots of fun. also share any new things we found and bought, sales, and ideas.
sam
Ps. Forgive my spelling errors. I'm about half asleep.

sam

Last edited by allensm; 08-05-2010 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Better sentence structure
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

bump

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Question I am confused...

Quote:

Originally Posted by allensmView Post
I started out using alieen's tack it over and over. But found you have to be really careful using your stamps. If you sit them down somewhere they will stick to where ever you layed them and ruin your stamp. I am now using a different method. One I learned from someone on SC. I bought vinyl at the fabric store. ( Only buy 10 inches of it as it is 60 inches wide) cost less than 1.00 I believe. I use 4 gauge and 8 gauge. MAKE SURE IT STICKS TO ITSELF. IF IT DOESN'T IT ISN'T VINYL. I use real scotch tape and tape it to itself and then stick it on an acylric block. I next stick the stamp on the tape. Next I stamp the image. Cut around it. Stick 2 way glue on backside of rubber stamp. Put 2 way glue on backside of stamp. Trim image to fit stamp and put on backside of stamp. Next put 2 way glue on image. Put vinyl on top of that and smooth out any wrinkles. Trim. Now you have a cling set for a lot less money. Huff on it before putting to acylic block and it sticks just fine and you don't have to worry about it sticking to anything else. It sounds like a lot of steps, but once you do a few it goes fast. suggest you start with large image first to get the hang of it. I really like this. Putting certain sets in new stampin up cases and rest will go into CDs. My stamp club has a free for all. We get together at least once a month at someone's house and do our own thing and socialize. Doesn't cost anyone anything and you can do whatever you like. Last meeting I was making cling stamps, another was making calendars, another making Christmas cards, and someone else was turning her wooden unmounted stamps into cling stamps. We order pizza and split the cost. Lots of fun. also share any new things we found and bought, sales, and ideas.
sam
Ps. Forgive my spelling errors. I'm about half asleep.
You lost me at the part where you stamp the image and put 2 way glue on the back side...I am totally confused.

I have been using Aleene's Tack it Over & Over, but I found that when I adhere it to my laminate storage sheets, it leaves a sticky residue to the storage sheet. I purchased some Tsuenkeo Tack it Over, but haven't used it yet because I still can't figure out how to store the basic rubber stamps since they will not stick anywhere without something on them. Once I put the Tsueneko sheet on, I don't think I can use the block for stamps that have EZ Mount stuck to them. What to do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobarb26View Post
You lost me at the part where you stamp the image and put 2 way glue on the back side...I am totally confused.
I think what she means is, she stamps the image on paper and glues it to the back of the rubber, then covers the image with glue and sticks the cling vinyl to that - you would end up with a rubber stamp with the image on the back that would cling to a block. For me, that's too much work and I don't care if I have an image on the back of the rubber, so I just use the Tack It Over & Over on the bare rubber, or use EZ Mount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobarb26View Post
I have been using Aleene's Tack it Over & Over, but I found that when I adhere it to my laminate storage sheets, it leaves a sticky residue to the storage sheet. I purchased some Tsuenkeo Tack it Over, but haven't used it yet because I still can't figure out how to store the basic rubber stamps since they will not stick anywhere without something on them. Once I put the Tsueneko sheet on, I don't think I can use the block for stamps that have EZ Mount stuck to them. What to do?

You could use the opposite side of the block for the EZ Mounted stamps. The block won't be as see-thru as one without the Tack N Peel sheet, but it would still work.

I haven't had a problem with the Tack It Over & Over leaving residue on my laminate storage sheets. After the TIO&O has dried on the stamp, though, I do stick it to my arm a few times so that it loses some of its sticking power. Maybe that also takes care of the residue problem. One thing I did try back when I had some bare rubber alphabets that I knew I wanted to EZ Mount but didn't want to leave all jumbled up in a Ziploc bag while I waited for my order to arrive was I put small squares of Scotch Poster Tape on my storage board and stuck the stamps to that. The poster tape is easy to peel off the board later if you decide you don't want it, but it held the stamps in place most satisfactorily. I would recommend using a scissors to cut it instead of the cutter built into the dispenser if you want only small squares - small pieces seem to want to stretch and not cut nicely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up Re: What to do?

Thanks for your reply Cheryl. I think I understand now. She kept repeating put it on the back of the stamp and that is what confused me. I must say that I did not try to take some of the tackiness off when I used TIO&O. Anyway, I think I am going to try to use the Tsueneko on my better blocks and see how that works. However, I still need a solution for storing the unmounted (naked rubber) stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I did the ATIO&O method. After they dried, I stuck them on the insides on the clam shell lids. Some of them, I stuck to the palms of my hands first, some I didn't at all. And that's when I learned to stick them to my wrists and forearms a few times before storing them. If you don't get that initial super-tackiness off, it will certainly leave a residue, and at times would even pull my sticker image off the back of my stamp - even had a couple tear the sticker. ACK! So, even though the bottle suggests sticking it to the palms of your hands, I found that using my arms did the trick even better. They're tacky enough to stick to the cd cases and stick very well to my acrylic blocks. They peel off almost as easily as the cling mounts, and they no longer leave a residue. Consider it a spontaneous exfoliation! LOL Hope my hard learned lesson helps someone else! (I didn't want to use my jeans or clothes, since I didn't want colored fiber fuzz on my ATIOO, but it's an option, too.)

I have CDO. It's like OCD, except all the letters are in order like they should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up Tack it Over & Over

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfly_junior_88View Post
I did the ATIO&O method. After they dried, I stuck them on the insides on the clam shell lids. Some of them, I stuck to the palms of my hands first, some I didn't at all. And that's when I learned to stick them to my wrists and forearms a few times before storing them. If you don't get that initial super-tackiness off, it will certainly leave a residue, and at times would even pull my sticker image off the back of my stamp - even had a couple tear the sticker. ACK! So, even though the bottle suggests sticking it to the palms of your hands, I found that using my arms did the trick even better. They're tacky enough to stick to the cd cases and stick very well to my acrylic blocks. They peel off almost as easily as the cling mounts, and they no longer leave a residue. Consider it a spontaneous exfoliation! LOL Hope my hard learned lesson helps someone else! (I didn't want to use my jeans or clothes, since I didn't want colored fiber fuzz on my ATIOO, but it's an option, too.)
Thanks...I think I will try that too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

I use one piece of vinyl and stamp the image on the vinyl with Stazon. I then adhere the vinyl to the back of the stamp. I do use that very inexpensive vinyl from Hobby Lobby.
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes