Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A totally novice question

While I am a big scrapbooker, I am not super experienced in stamping. I recently bought a bunch of rubber stamps at a garage sale. I got a whole plastic bag for a buck! But I don't really know what to do with them. Some of them are just rubber. There is no sticky backing. And then some of them have a sticky backing. Am I supposed to mount these on wood? Where would I get just the blank wood to mount them on? Or is that not how this works? I have some acrylic blocks and when I bought them I thought I could use those, but I quickly found out I was wrong. Like I said, this is a total novice question. Thanks for your help!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #2  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you already have acrylic blocks, you should be able to use those with the unmounted rubber. There are several ways to attach them, and everyone has their preferred method, you may have to just play around and see what you like.

I've used double stick poster tape, and some people like Aileen's tack it over and over glue (I plan to try that next time I run out of tape). There are online places to order the gray foam cushion to attach to your rubber if it doesn't already have it, but there are some people who like to use the rubber without the foam cushion.

I'm sure more people will be by with specific websites for you to check out.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of stamping!

Since you have acrylic blocks already. The simplest, easiest solution would be for you to put double sided tape on the block, and stick your bare rubber stamp on it. Stamp away, then peel the rubber stamp back off.
The stamps that have sticky backing will just stick right to your acrylic block. And should peel right back off.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Default Worked like a charm!

Wow, I never would have thought of the double-sided tape, which is funny because I use it all the time for scrapbooking. I just had to go try it and it worked great! Wow, I am thrilled. Now I can go through and see what all I got in my little grab bag.

So on the ones that have the sticky already on them, will that wear off after awhile of sticking on the acrylic blocks and taking them off, et cetera?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi

For your bare rubber, you can either use double sided tape and use that to mount it to the block temporarily. For the rubber stamps with cushion and sticky back make sure this isnt permanent adhesive which is made to mount to a piece of wood. IF it is realllly sticky then it is more than likely permanent adhesive. You can either separate the rubber from the foam and then just use the bare rubber like above with the double sided tape. There is also this product call tack n peel where you cut a piece of it and mount it to a clear block.. it is sticky and will hold your bare rubber stamps. This way you are not always using double sided tape.

If you have any other questions just ask!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

If you decide to stamp with bare rubber (no foam) you should put some padding under your paper to get a better impression. You can buy a stamping mat but a phone book, newspaper, old mouse pad, or a piece of craft foam will work just fine. Most stamps will stamp just fine without some padding, but it does really help to have some padding.

Welcome to stamping...
Reply With Quote Likes