Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOO MANY!

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest

I follow many crafters. I keep jumping from one app to another. Too many on my fb page and I miss everything my actual friends are doing. Too many on Instagram, and I feel I'm scrolling for hours - getting dizzy too.
Pinterest seems to be just a mish mosh of crap from the internet.
Which one do you use for your personal life and crafters life?
Do you like one over the other?
It's becoming almost comical how big everything is getting.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Facebook-I only like recipe blogs and a few selected card making blogs.

It is easy to control what is on your facebook page. If you don't like the post or person, unlike the site, block or unfriend. It's that easy.

Instagram- I don't even bother.

Pintrest- when you follow someone and they have 100 boards and only 3 card boards, unlike all the other boards. Then you won't see all their crap. Then your page will clear up.

For the advertised pins, just click on the X, a drop down will appear. Click on I don't like ads or offends me. Ad pins will stop.

You cloud use bloglovin to clear out your facebook page of too many craft blog posts And leave facebook posts for friends only.
I control my electronics, electronic does not control me.

I still prefer to call someone, I only text my dd when dinner is ready! Or little love notes to the hubby.

Only problem I had recently was trying to figure out how to load a PDF book onto my kindle paperwhite. My dd had to help me with that.

Well, that is my take on the subject.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I found myself checking a bazillion craft blogs daily which was not effective. They may not have posted yet for that day, so I would check same one multiple times a day. Finally, I put them all in an app called Feedly. Whenever there's an update, it posts there. I have different categories like stamping, organizing, etc. You can also save the post, which is what I do when they have a video I don't want to watch right away. If I like the card or technique, then I pin it on Pinterest. It's really saved a lot of time for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Unless I'm looking for something VERY SPECIFIC I stay well away from ALL of them - too much of a time suck for me! If there's a particular stamp I'd like to find ideas for, then I'll do that (usually here on SCS or on Pinterest). Ditto on a specific technique. I follow a handful of bloggers, but only check in periodically. Lately most of my inspiration has come from stamp companies that I'm currently obsessed with. There are usually examples for each stamp (or set) and/or a blog, so I check those out more than any of the "social media"...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Like SleepyMom33, I use Feedly to follow all of my blogs. It makes it SO easy! I don't have the time or the patience to go blog to blog to blog. Before I started using Feedly, I would miss things too often. This makes it simple!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 739 Likes on 359 Posts

I dont do any of those. I dont like social media. Way too much linking for starters that I didnt do myself. Plus exposure of personal info I didnt authorize (FB) so I dont do it for either personal or cards.

I watch the gallery here. If I want to learn a technique I go to You Tube University (just say HT whatever it is and a ton of vids will come up) if I cant find it here.

There are maybe 3 bloggers I get mail from. I bookmarked some others I like and I poke in when I have time and catch up.

You could really spend all day on the computer. As it is, I dont have enough time for the gallery here-I keep popping in when I have 10 mins, but for sure I miss things b/c I see them at the end of the week in the favs threads when I have time to look at that.

I dont know if it is generational or what, but I dont want to be online all the time. I also like to talk to people. I know the world has become all about social media but not me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I only go to two places. Here on SCS and YouTube to my subscriptions. Those keep me busy enough and have everything I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sort of in the middle of the debate. I have Instagtam for personal interest. I haven't many followers and I am private.

I am not on Facebook. Not interested in all the crap and accessibility there.

I do love Pinterest for ideas on lots of things! I have a board of my own cards.

I don't regularly follow any blogs or YouTube.

I come here for some interaction and fellowship
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 651 Posts

I don't do Instagram, or facebook. I have set up a pinterest account, but really it is just to keep a few pins of cards I like. Otherwise, I don't do pinterest much. BUT I have subscribed to quite a few blogs and get daily from them. I was thinking lately that I would unsubscribe from most of them. It does get to be a time suck. To get a card made, I have to NOT go online, otherwise it doesn't happen. I waste all my precious little time just looking at cards made by others if I start my morning out like that.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I don't do Instagram, or facebook. I have set up a pinterest account, but really it is just to keep a few pins of cards I like. Otherwise, I don't do pinterest much. BUT I have subscribed to quite a few blogs and get daily from them. I was thinking lately that I would unsubscribe from most of them. It does get to be a time suck. To get a card made, I have to NOT go online, otherwise it doesn't happen. I waste all my precious little time just looking at cards made by others if I start my morning out like that.

Shirl
Truth! I admit to getting sidetracked from doing by looking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

Here and a few blogs, which these days I have less and less time to catch up with. I've always used a feed for blogs, Google Reader back in the day, and The Old Reader when Google retired theirs. It seems to me that over the years more and more different social media have come on stream, but there's still only the same amount of time, so something has to give.

I couldn't join Pinterest when you had to have either a Twitter or Facebook account to sign up. I did like looking at the boards that were used for inspiration challenges here, but then Pinterest changed their provision so that non-members could only see about 15 pins or so on any board, and that just annoyed me enough to still not join even when they made that easier.. I did succumb to a Twitter account in the end, though... purely to be able to contact my bus service in real time;-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 04:00 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,400 Likes on 526 Posts

I am on FB only to be a part of my SU upline's group - I use it for absolutely nothing else. I have no other social media accounts and I have never used Pinterest. I do enjoy reading several blogs - my favorites are the ones that blend stamping with writing that lets me get to know the blogger. I also visit here. I am happy with this - it contributes to the enjoyment of my hobby without taking much time away from my family, actual crafting, reading, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a FB account and 37 friends. I subscribe to no blogs. I look here and Pinterest for inspiration, but don't spend much time on Pinterest. I subscribe to Simon Says Stamp's email newsletter and am taking Tim Holtz online Chemistry 101 class. That is enough!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 739 Likes on 359 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
I am on FB only to be a part of my SU upline's group - I use it for absolutely nothing else. I have no other social media accounts and I have never used Pinterest. I do enjoy reading several blogs - my favorites are the ones that blend stamping with writing that lets me get to know the blogger. I also visit here. I am happy with this - it contributes to the enjoyment of my hobby without taking much time away from my family, actual crafting, reading, etc.
Nicole if you like writing...I suggest you look at Lydia's blog (understandblue). I really enjoy her humor/sensibility and sometimes she includes recipes as well as tutorials. She is one of the three I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I used to love pinterest for my stamping addiction. Now -- I use google search! Do a google search for whatever card, stamp, etc that you are looking for. Click on "images." It's so much faster than Pinterest. Of course, you can't save cards that way. But you can get a quick look at many different cards, much faster than it takes pinterest to load.

It seems much less of a time suck to do it that way

I hear ya. Gotta watch the time we spend online or it will take over our lives!
Rina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I like that I can specifically search Pinterest. "Black & white cards" "fancy cards". "Cards with patterned paper" etc. Then I pin to my own cards board for future reference.
I set up to get emails from a few bloggers I like.
I set up to get emails from Verve and Papertrey (though the latter often irritates me with too wordy and snooty style). Also Wplus9, Reverse Confetti, Paper Smooches, Our Daily Bread. Anything I don't care for is easy to delete.
I don't understand Instagram or Twitter. I have Facebook to keep up with some friends and relatives, Not any stamping.
SCS is THE BEST to get a question answered and see all styles of cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 03:41 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts
Lightbulb Saving images from Google Images

Quote:

Originally Posted by RinaMView Post
I used to love pinterest for my stamping addiction. Now -- I use google search! Do a google search for whatever card, stamp, etc that you are looking for. Click on "images." It's so much faster than Pinterest. Of course, you can't save cards that way. But you can get a quick look at many different cards, much faster than it takes pinterest to load.

It seems much less of a time suck to do it that way

I hear ya. Gotta watch the time we spend online or it will take over our lives!
Rina

Oh, but you can save from Google Images! I do it often.
Hard to describe in words - but I'll try.
You know the way you put in your search words and get a whole screen of thumbnail images...and then you click on one to view it bigger?
And then beside the larger image, you get the options to visit page, view image and so on.
Well, the third option is Save image, you just click the star like clicking the heart in Favourites here. And then the next option beside that is "View Saved" which takes you to a sort of gallery page where all your saved images are.

When you're viewing a saved image, you can add tags.
And the saved images "gallery" (for want of a better word) is searchable.
I love Google Images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 05:21 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Instagram, FB, feedly, and Pinterest.

It is easy to get sucked into them and spend a lot of time.

Instagram -- the fastest way to scroll through a ton of cards. You often get sneaks of cards and sets that are coming.
Pinterest - Most of my boards are private. I organize them by stamper because then I can figure out what that stamper is doing on a consistent basis that makes me like her work so much.

FB -- I have family on FB and it is a fantastic way for us to stay in touch. I also use it to post when I blog and to look at what others are up to. Most of my blog hits come from FB.

It is definitely a challenge to not get sucked into all of these as you can look up and half the day is gone, so I check them when I need a break from stamping, or waiting for the oven to heat up, etc!

For those of you who shy away from social media, I totally get that. But I would point out that SCS is social media! We don't think of it that way, but it is just another online social gathering place, which is what FB and others are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use feebly for some blogs but haven't checked them out for a while.

I use SCS and Facebook daily. Used to use Pinterest daily but a few months ago al my saved followers dropped off and I get weird stuff in my feed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you SO MUCH!!! I had no idea. You've just rocked my world. I can't wait to try it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Oh, but you can save from Google Images! I do it often.
Hard to describe in words - but I'll try.
You know the way you put in your search words and get a whole screen of thumbnail images...and then you click on one to view it bigger?
And then beside the larger image, you get the options to visit page, view image and so on.
Well, the third option is Save image, you just click the star like clicking the heart in Favourites here. And then the next option beside that is "View Saved" which takes you to a sort of gallery page where all your saved images are.

When you're viewing a saved image, you can add tags.
And the saved images "gallery" (for want of a better word) is searchable.
I love Google Images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

love Pinterest for inspiration! If I have a creative block I go on Pinterest, scroll through my pins and usually come up with inspiration for a card or scrapbook page idea. Sometimes Pinterest pins will give me a colour combo that I hadn't thought of. My Pinterest is strictly cards and scrapbook. Facebook is only for family and friends... I think I have maybe 4 or 5 card-related companies I follow on FB. Forget twitter or Instagram. I have no interest in either. But like I said at the beginning it's Pinterest for me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Bloglovin. It sends any update to the app. You can view it or not. I get the updates and it is easy to click on what I want to see expanded. Big time saver!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Bloglovin for a few blogs, daily updates. Allows me to quickly pick which ones I am interested in. I use FB to keep up with Family/Friends; mostly my grandkids. I like Pinterest for inspiration and have saved lots of card/journal layouts. It is helpful to check them for colors, methods, and how-to's.
Time can get away from you and sometimes I just delete blogs, and try and follow the ones that give me the most information about a product or process. I also have SCS where I have learned tons from all the talented cardmakers.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

bloglovin is the bomb!!! I follow a few blogs but now... I can add all the challenge blogs like mojo monday. I love their sketches. I modified my fb and I may just deactivate my instagram. I don't like that you can't get any detail and everything has 100 hashtags. Talk about getting deeper and deeper into the web.
My pinterest will be for me to take pictures of my cards and store them without the connection to my fb friend list.
You all have been a great help.
Thx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 04:26 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I use various social media according to my circumstances:

I use Instagram (on my phone) because it is easy to look through alot of cards quickly & it's easy to use. I often look at Instagram when I am waiting at hospital for my daughter's (many) medical appointments because we can wait for hours sometimes & I actually find it hard to concentrate to read because my mind is focused on getting test results etc. which is stressful.

I also use Pinterest on my phone when I am waiting for appointments - but also use Pinterest at home on my laptop when I am looking for inspiration. I don't pin all that much to my Pinterest boards as I prefer Clipix (also free) for pinning items. I can have all my boards "Private" on Clipix whereas you can only have 3 boards that are private on Pinterest.

I don't use FB to a large extent for cardmaking as I mainly use it for keeping in touch with family & friends interstate and overseas.

I have tried Periscope (live broadcasts) but the few people that I follow are in the USA so live to them is 4 am in Australia - so that ain't gonna work too well :eek:

Because I am not able to make cards at the moment due to being a Carer for my husband as he recovers from major surgery, I enjoy looking at the various forms of Social Media, You-Tube and here at SCS because it makes me still feel connected to the cardmaking world - but when I am back in the saddle, I shall be limiting my time on them (other than SCS) or I will never make a card again - I will only be "thinking" about cardmaking & collecting supplies. They really are great time-suckers!

I have also found that if I am lacking inspiration, the worst thing that I can do is look online at cardmaking stuff because I end up not being able to think - it is too much information. I am far better off looking through my stash or tidying up in my Craft Room - that sparks my mojo an awful lot better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2016, 01:01 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I recently began following a lot of my favorite companies on Facebook, by liking their pages. I don't do Pinterest or Instagram except for contests. I follow crafters that wow me via blogger and check the feed every now and then. But since Facebook is what I use daily for personal use, then it's easy to check on companies there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Like many others, I use Facebook to keep in touch with family, friends, and my former students. I don't use it for card making at all.
I signed up for Twitter years ago, and have only done two posts ever, I think.
I have wondered what I need Instagram for, but so far I don't have it.
I've recently re-joined SCS. I think I went for four or five years without it. I'm not sure why, but I'm glad I'm back.
I have subscribed to a few blogs for several years, but they mostly just hop to fill up my inbox.
A friend told me about Bloglovin about a year ago, and I'm still getting used to using it.
I gave been on Pinterest since almost the very beginning (when you just kept seeing the same pins over and over), and I love it! Pinterest is probably my biggest time suck, but I love how it helps me save things for later! I also find it relaxing to look at stuff on Pinterest.
I usually do all this stuff on my iPad. My phone us too small for me to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2016, 04:18 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Subscriptions to several blogs, youtube from those blogs or who knows from where, two message boards, and google when I want to find something. Sometimes it takes me to Pinterest, and if something quickly hits me, I go to that page. If it takes me to yet another Pinterest page, I stop. Annoying.

I trust FB as far as I can throw it, deleted myself about 80 years ago. : ) Yes, I miss out on some things by not having an account but that's almost a good thing.

I used to be a moderator on a large non-crafty board, and was a co-manager on a Linked In closed group but retired myself from both a while back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2016, 04:26 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Jocelyn (JoBear2) said, "...but when I am back in the saddle, I shall be limiting my time on them (other than SCS) or I will never make a card again - I will only be "thinking" about cardmaking & collecting supplies."

Yes! I was thinking about that this weekend. Sometimes - often - I read/watch/think so much about a project that it feels like I've actually made it. And then it's like it's done, it's over. The empetus to actually do the work is gone. This does not thrill me about myself.
Reply With Quote Likes