Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I have tons of SU! Sets, but also have LOTV, Heartfelt, MFT, lots more! The thing is , I didn't know there were other kinds of stamps ( other than SU!) the first 10 years I was into stamping. Now this last ten years I purchased lots of companies stamps. I should purge for sure!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
I need to print and pin this thread on a bulletin board and require myself to read it before ANY purchase!!
Not sure if you are joking or serious, but I thought I'd let you know that I actually made a Craft Purchasing Rules list for my wall. It says:

1) A Place for Everything and Everything in its Place:
If there is no room in a designated area, then something has to go.

2) No more bargain hunting:

A 75% off stamp set is not a bargain if it goes unused.

3) Craft Wish Book:
Think it is a must-have item? Write it down and wait 24 hours.

4) Save Creatively:

Loose change in jar, recycle, pay myself for chores, losing weight, not eating out. (NOTE: I joined the SCS Stamp2Spend challenge and now pay myself for crafting! I had to do something since I was not losing weight and still eating out too often. LOL)

5) Ask questions:
Is this item listed in my notebook? Will I use it more than a couple times? Is it too similar to what I already own? Do I have room for it?

6) No Guilt:
I have permission to spend money on crafts, without guilt, so long as I have money in my craft fund and follow my Craft Purchasing Rules.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you seen the hex chart for copic markers from Sandy Allnock I love the way she organized these markers for easier color choice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am guilty of impulsive buying, particularly when I started stamping many years ago. I now have only two rules. Once a year in the fall, I purge and sell stamps keeping my supply limited and storage manageable. If I decide to buy something, I can but NOT today. It has to go on a wish list for a minimum of one week. I surprise myself when given a gift card, how little on the wish list I really wanted. I began by scrapbooking so accumulated a lot of paper and embellishments. I no longer buy either of these things. I use what I have or make my own. Our style develops over time and this gets easier as time goes on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2015, 06:23 AM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Melissa59. Thanks for posting your rules. I am going to print them and put it next to my computer!

Also I stumbled upon another secret ... If i go into a store - I am likely to buy something so ... I don't go in. I feel I can't find the stuff I really like at michaels / hobby lobby / Joann (so much more variety at online stores. ). So the only reason I go into these stores is to get that immediate rush (I bought something!). Yes I like Michaels paper and already have a bunch...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

i just put six things on the pay it forward thread. You all inspired me to purge! I'm horribly guilty of buying stuff cuz it was on sale and it' never see the light of day!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #47  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Half of the thrill for many of us is the shopping. But now I don't want to just buy/own it these days, I want to get the best deal I've ever seen.

Forcing yourself to really shop it hard, and watch the prices for a month, will enable you to find it at 50% off - or better yet, you find something that is almost the same for half the price. For the most part, every vendor is selling the same stuff and the 'trends' make it easy to find other products that will do the same thing for very little money.

If there is a way to make it yourself, do something else with it, mix it with something else to make something new - it's on YouTube! There is a video out there waiting for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #48  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Not sure if you are joking or serious, but I thought I'd let you know that I actually made a Craft Purchasing Rules list for my wall. It says:

1) A Place for Everything and Everything in its Place:
If there is no room in a designated area, then something has to go.

2) No more bargain hunting:

A 75% off stamp set is not a bargain if it goes unused.

3) Craft Wish Book:
Think it is a must-have item? Write it down and wait 24 hours.

4) Save Creatively:

Loose change in jar, recycle, pay myself for chores, losing weight, not eating out. (NOTE: I joined the SCS Stamp2Spend challenge and now pay myself for crafting! I had to do something since I was not losing weight and still eating out too often. LOL)

5) Ask questions:
Is this item listed in my notebook? Will I use it more than a couple times? Is it too similar to what I already own? Do I have room for it?

6) No Guilt:
I have permission to spend money on crafts, without guilt, so long as I have money in my craft fund and follow my Craft Purchasing Rules.
I am semi serious, I just don't need anything!! Paper is my downfall but I have plenty of all styles and colors. Your rules are worth reading and paying attention to, especially #3 and #6 ...... I have quit doing #1 and 2 unless it comes to paper and I DO use paper, just not as fast as I buy it...... and I still have a little space for more paper (12x12 only) :p

Most of what I purchase can only be used once, so that is not such a big issue. All the rest I use pretty regularly. I defiantly need to apply that when looking at a stamp.

I believe I will start with #3 right away!! First thing on the list will be Fall/Halloween paper!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
*SNIP* CTMH recently discontinued two of my favorites before I had a chance to buy ink refills. Grrrrr.
There's a chance you might be able to get a re-inker--look on ebay, or ask your CTMH consultant if they can find a reinker for you. You'd be surprised how some of the consultants--their uplines, etc. will have older & retired items in their inventory. If they don't have it, there's a chance they can find it for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2015, 06:09 AM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

Like the rest of you I have a ton of stuff that I bought and never used. Actually, most of the stuff I bought for a reason and then forgot what the project was that I was going to use it for! My house has been sucking up a huge portion of my budget lately so I'm on crafting lockdown. I made it a personal challenge to use what I have. I have loads of stamps that have never been inked, a ton of paper, and embellishments out the wazoo.

So, my resolution for 2016 is to work with what I own. I look to the Gallery and Pinterest for inspiration and see if I already have something similar, or ask what kind of changes I could make to the design. Restricting my purchases has been forcing me to be more creative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #51  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
Like the rest of you I have a ton of stuff that I bought and never used. Actually, most of the stuff I bought for a reason and then forgot what the project was that I was going to use it for!
I have so many products - resists/gells/crackle/stencils/mediums/glues - that I bought WHILE watching YouTube, and by the time it came I had 'squirrel!' onto some other technique or forgot what it was for.

When Michael's ran out of inventory, they could have called me... I'm sure I would have had it in stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #52  
Glitter Guru

I also found I don't enjoy making cards....after hundreds (if not into the low thousands) of $ spend on stamps, etc. I have started just crafting for doing a few fall/early winter craft shows so my needs have totally changed. I am not into stamping & coloring 100+ images so my needs have switched to digital stuff. So that makes all the stmap pads I have more of a moot point, too. I keep swearing I am going to purge A LOT of my stamp sets...from SU, Ippity, Unity, etc. but I have not yet. But when I do, the listing I have will be massive!! And all that SU 12x12 DSP....hardly ever used. I have found it is not much my style and have gone to other companies I like more. And since 80% of my stuff I make is Christmas themed, I am mostly buying Christmas/holiday papers. Ugh...too much unused stuff!!

So yes, my buying has drastically reduced and changed over the last few years and I agree, the older I get the more I realize I actually want to retire some day and my spending on this hobby hasn't helped my bottom line for that goal. Hopefully this year I will get my purge on and start selling off some of my stuff....especially stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #53  
Compulsive Stamper

I've been stamping since the early 90's and when I started there wasn't much of an internet and I didn't know anything about SU. I bought wherever I could find things. There were a few stamps stores within a couple of hours of my house, but it was really hard to coordinate papers, pads, stamps, etc. When I first found out about SU, it really helped me to be a little more focused about what I bought, plus I really liked their cardstock and inks. As time went on, I bought more from SU and less from other companies. I still buy a little from other companies, but I'm way more concerned with keeping my purchases to items I know I will use more than once. I still need to purge, but I haven't found the motivation to do that yet. I did reorganize so that my most loved and most used supplies are easy to find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm with stamphappy1650. I'm a Stampin' Up! Demo and I love lots of other companies. Yes, I love the coordinated inks, paper, ribbon, etc. that SU offers (as do other companies) but I love so many other companies too. I love my Copics and hated the Blendabilities that SU had. I also love Prismacolor pencils with Gamsol. And I adore really cute images to color. Some of SU is too trendy for me and my customers. If they stay that way, I may lose my customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 04:31 AM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being mainly retired; I am buying less supplies; and made another decision this week.
I am only doing cards anymore for get well, sympathy and Christmas. no more purchases except for them. Any other occasion, I can buy from dollar store.
I am guilty of being a blogger who looks at all the temptation and new ideas. I do post in evernote what supplies I need; and haven't noted very much. I am hoping this winter to use more of my scraps with sketches and one wonder card sheets; to downsize. This weekend; I had a stamping sale and now, will downsize to thrift store with craft supplies or sell on this site; one last attempt. It is ridiculous when you can't find a supply because you have to fricken many and not organized enough

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #56  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSkyView Post
It's odd that everyone forgets that a single stamp can be used something like 10 different ways -- and not ten different stamp pads either. All the marketing sells us and then sells us more. It's not profitable to help us use what we have. If you start addressing that on your blog, I'll be there every single day!
I remember watching a couple of YouTube videos (I think one was Jennifer McGuire or Frugal Crafter) that covered the multiple ways to use a stamp. From plain stamping, Kissing stamps, embossing, resists, etc. I'm going to start a list of these techniques and post it on my wall so I remember to maximize the usage from what I already own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #57  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the things I try to do if I see a card I like with a stamp I don't have. I look in my huge collection of stamps for one that is similar. Then I case the card with the stamps I do have. After doing that I realize I don't NEED it afterall.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't buy fads. I only buy when it becomes a need or I have grown into that technique. It's like Sue said in her post. It's all an evolution.

I always, always, always make my tools, techniques, etc... first or find an alternative. If my homemade version or alternative didn't work out then I buy. I never wasted any money trying and I got to learn something new.

I have started to buy only on Ebay. I don't go to the craft stores any more. I made this goal during the Summer. I redid my room this Summer. When putting all my items back my most treasured items were found objects or things that I really wanted from my Wish List. My room is my journal. I don't want a critic in it.

Since I have started this Ebay thing. I have some serious sticker shock now at the craft stores. I went to Hobby Lobby a couple of weeks ago to get adhesive. I had sticker shock just browsing around Hobby Lobby. My DH took me to Michael's last week. Michael's is not easy for me to get too. It's a fun treat. I walked out empty handed. Guess it wasn't much of a treat.

I don't mind spending money on things I love. I am a frugal girl. Proud of it. I do love luxuries. I always make a price point for those things. I won't go over it. I rather have quality over quantity. I don't want a marketing ad in my home.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

My friends I have learned much from thinking OH I NEED THAT, lol.

Stamps - have a certain amount of space and that's it. If it becomes too tight I purge and try and sell first then donate.

Paper/Ink - I stick with one company just because I like my colors to be matchy-matchy. Yea I said matchy-matchy!!

This pretty much keeps it together. It's taken me awhile to get here and I have purchased many things on a whim and have regretted it. Just no more. If I have to think about it and I can not make up my mind then I walk away.

It's very freeing.

Happy Day,

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 10:29 PM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

Matchy-Matchy is probably one of the smartest shopping decisions a paper crafter can make. It breaks my heart to see people give up paper crafting because the color theory was too hard to figure out or learning how to embellish a card perplexed a new paper crafter. I think that's why SU is so great. That company's business model helped a lot of people who never thought they were smart enough or creative enough to create. Now, I see a lot of those same SU stamper's forming own companies, or advancing their cardmaking skills to levels that art museum worthy.

You girls know I am not SU anything and equal opportunity every company. I do think SU is one of the most frugal paper crafting companies in the industry. They are high priced in a lot of aspects but they take the frustration and mistakes out of paper crafting. That is where most of us wasted our money was due to frustration and mistakes. Plus, the resell value on SU is huge. Those who do get out of it can make a profit.

Ebay seller tip on how to avoid counterfeits. Most of the vendors have Ebay stores. That is who I shop with. If I went to the vendor's web site to get the free shipping or lower shipping I would have to spend a set amount. I tend to buy small so that would not work for me. If I go to their Ebay store I can get the lower or free shipping and only buy one thing like one Copic a week. I am still supporting our stamp vendors. That is important to me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #61  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSkyView Post
Begin mild rant: Unfortunately any system whether its Pointalism, Dada, Abstract Expressionism, scrapbooking, or anything else, is a box. Enabling someone who is creatively timid to step outside the box when marketing is involved is not so easy. Read the posts on YouTube vids. These women are absolutely convinced they can't do project X because they do not have Expensive Supply or Tool Y. They stopped thinking because their box/style/system always gave it to them. The emotional anguish is very real. And it's very very sad.

I'm big on enabling. Tools, supplies, techniques are all around us. Our job is to free our creativity using these things. But. Creativity is not found in a single anything. The Big Brother whoozit is not going to make us creative. Nor is the trendy anything. Not Golden, Tim Holtz, or any of the others. Emotions, psychology, permission, courage… are all necessary. We fix this box problem by talking on these forums. We support the beginners, we tell them that creativity can't be bought. We support the discouraged and depressed by making suggestions to free up their creative flow. We ooo and awe over the experts, but never ever feel like we are less of a creative being with them around. Most of all, we make it absolutely true that no matter what or how you create it's o.k. to make mistakes, learn from them, try new things, take risks, and maybe swap out this red for purple just to see what happens.
End rant.
You make such good points, which really get at the heart of what art is all about. I get sucked into the videos and the demonstrations, feeling that I'd love to replicate what I see, but also aware that I'm on my own journey and need to find my own way.

I love how when I try to imitate closely, it still comes out looking like "me" :razz: it's really impossible to hide who we are in our art! And that's such a good thing.

I used to think the projects at a local SU stamp camp were the height of sophistication, but looking at the ones I saved now, I've moved way beyond their cookie-cutter approach (not criticizing anyone else's SU projects or stamp camps--my then-demo often admitted she wasn't "creative" which always made me wonder why she decided to make her living in paper arts).

I feel sad when any of us get attached to certain outcomes in art, whether it's using certain supplies or approaches or even getting views and approval from others. I'm certainly as mystified as anyone else when I get hardly any views on what I post to the gallery but I keep going and remind myself of why I'm doing this — for my own personal expression and growth. If someone else finds what I create attractive or beautiful, that's a bonus. And now a shout out to all the kind members here who comment on people's galleries!

I think even professional artists struggle with these concepts — I took an art workshop at our local library and was criticized by the artist/teacher for deviating from her instructions! I explained that I wanted to do it that particular way and luckily she saw the absurdity of what she was doing and smiled. If you don't have the freedom to be yourself in an art class…

PS apologies to the OP if I'm derailing the conversation...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I think even professional artists struggle with these concepts � I took an art workshop at our local library and was criticized by the artist/teacher for deviating from her instructions! I explained that I wanted to do it that particular way and luckily she saw the absurdity of what she was doing and smiled. If you don't have the freedom to be yourself in an art class�
I'm guessing she thought you were deviating on accident, instead of on purpose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #63  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I'm guessing she thought you were deviating on accident, instead of on purpose!
What's funny is it was just gluing something on to something else, and I decided to use a piece of paper that was slightly larger and fold it before gluing it. The collage project was about personal expression, not exactly complicated and it wouldn't have "ruined" it so I guess just call me a crazy rebel :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #64  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Back when I was still in a monthly SU stamping group, the demo was SO used to two of us re-imagining the card designs. No skin off her nose if Phyllis & I wanted to do it differently. It sometimes led to other stampers deciding to do likewise, but who really cares?
I find it boring to slavishly copy a set design.
I'm currently trying to finish a reorganization in my craft room, so that I actually KNOW what I own, and where to find it. It's progressing, but pretty much every time I do a stint in there, I find another duplicate.
I've cut back a whole lot on buying. Partly because my "allowance" has been halved to only $100 a month (DH went ballistic when the company he works for was sold and we got new insurance- covers less, costs more), and partly because I'm coming to realize I don't "need" everything I buy. I buy on Ebay to get a deal. I occasionally buy at Michael's with a coupon, IF it's something I've been waiting to get. I buy here on SCS when I find a great deal. I almost never go into a Hobby Lobby anymore, or to a JoAnn's. Once in a while, I'll indulge in something online, but I truly hate paying high shipping costs. I'm a die junkie, and used dies are fine with me, so that saves money.
The new MINC for foiling?- I did buy one, with a discount, free gift, free shipping,and using a gift card I earned participating in online health coaching. DH has bought me a cheap laser printer for Christmas to go with it, with a refill. And, lo and behold! I actually have quite a bit of foil from years ago, when it was around for using on wearables. (Sometimes hoarding works out very nicely, snicker....) I am looking forward to working with those. I love sparkly shiny stuff.
Lack of available cash really helps stop the mindless purchases.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #65  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I've cut back a whole lot on buying. Partly because my "allowance" has been halved to only $100 a month (DH went ballistic when the company he works for was sold and we got new insurance- covers less, costs more), and partly because I'm coming to realize I don't "need" everything I buy. I buy on Ebay to get a deal. I occasionally buy at Michael's with a coupon, IF it's something I've been waiting to get. I buy here on SCS when I find a great deal. I almost never go into a Hobby Lobby anymore, or to a JoAnn's. Once in a while, I'll indulge in something online, but I truly hate paying high shipping costs. I'm a die junkie, and used dies are fine with me, so that saves money.
I've been seeing a financial advisor. My monthly crafting budget is now $30 :shock: I don't mind used things in good condition either so I'm buying a lot here in the buy/sell forum. Fortunately, I've bought a lot in the last year and a half so I have all of the basics that I really need. Which is good because I think I'm going to be on lockdown for a little while I recalibrate with this reality check :rolleyes: Wonder if Santa will still have a MISTI in his sack for me, hee hee sob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #66  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I find it boring to slavishly copy a set design.
That's because you're at a different place on the creative timeline.

Copying is an essential part of learning in art - how many of us who took drawing classes did all the same perspective drawings, or in painting classes painted an apple or a pear, or in my music classes did scales and arpeggios?

You have to copy for a long time before your own creativity and mastery of technique turns into your own creative expression. I believe what Malcolm Gladwell wrote about was true - at a certain # of repetitions (or hours) - the spark turns into a fire.

What bores an experienced person is essential for a beginner - it's okay to be anywhere on that arc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #67  
Die Cut Diva

SkyNacho- Me & you are on the same page about this. I have screamed so many times over here that so and so product does not make you creative. It breaks my heart and shake my poor computer that some of our girls feel like absolute losers because if they don't use "THE HOT TOOL!" then they can't be an artist in the popular club. News flash there is no popular club. Trust me you don't want to be in it if there is. I have seen some broken hearts over that.

Anybody who does that to you deserves to step on a Lego. Remember Thomas Kincaide killed himself because people in the industry ran him down. It hurts my heart to think of that every time. I have a lot of his art in my home. His art helps heal me.

I bought the Scor-Pal because I felt so bad about my work. I couldn't understand it because I was dyslexic. Felt like even a bigger loser then. That was really expensive purchase for me at the time. What a waste of money. Nothing against the Scor-Pal. It's a great product, but was a nightmare for me. I stopped sharing my work completely because I didn't want to offend. I do want to inspire and I do want to help girls who are in places like I was so I keep posting like a big dumbo.

If your demo, teacher, retreat leader, etc.. is treating you bad or chastising you drop them. Look for one who inspires you. If they are throwing a sales pitch run like Freddy Krueger is after you.

This rant is about not wasting money. A lot of us are doing art to heal. When your depressed you spend money stupidly trying to fix what is broken inside you.

Copying theme. To all the girls going "Oh No! I am CASE'ing. Good for you, keep doing it. You have a style that you really admire. Copying exactly and not crediting is serious side eye Lego stepping time. CASE'ing is great. You save a lot of money that way. If you feel pressured because the card your trying to create you don't have the items, then step away from that card. When I used to teach dolling. I had a girl who copied my work all the time. It's how she learned. Know what she's doing now? She designs for video games. I am so proud of her.

Good card creators give alternatives. Like Me , Lindsey of the Frugal Crafter, Kelly Donavan, etc.... Remember a lot of the cards your seeing the girls are on Design Teams. They get that stuff free. That is they way they are able to afford their art. DT members are creating for stores for a unique way of advertising for that store. What I do is just try to learn the technique. I don't worry about the product.

Last money saving tip. Always test your new thing. I am so good about trying out my new stamps. Oh, I am so bad about this with dies. I just bought a new Sizzix die & had a big gaming thing come up. I didn't get the chance to test the die. When I got it out to use the die it sucked I wasted $20. I am still mad at myself. I can't return it because it's too late. Lesson learned. Test all your new things when you get them.

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 11-20-2015 at 04:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

I think part of the reason we want to keep buying stuff is because it's more fun and easier than actually "working" on projects, i.e. having to THINK! It's kind of like buying shoes. (Stay with me here). Shoes always look good, but buying clothing is much more difficult because it's harder to find something that you feel looks good on you. Shoe shopping is fun. Shopping for clothing is work (at least for me).

When I was sewing, I built up a stash of fabric, notions and sewing books that overwhelmed me. It was much more fun to go into a fabric store and dream of what that fabric could become. Then I would bring it home and watch TV. When I realized I would have to live 3 lifetimes to use it all up, I gave most of it away and only kept the stuff I really loved.

Then I discovered cardmaking and, well, let's not go there
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2015, 06:33 AM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Debbie, I think that there is a lot of truth to the "buying stuff is more fun" idea. It's instant gratification, as opposed to the actual "work" you refer to - there's a lapse (and some effort) before you get to the gratification part. There's also a certain amount of fear (for some, at least) that the attempt will end in failure.

What we consistently cease to remember is that NO ONE started off running like a champ - we crawled (often backward, even), took a few hesitant steps, fell often, and eventually turned into totally upright beings capable of moving freely about. Do you ever reprimand yourself for not coming out of the womb able to walk or run? It's preposterous to even consider the notion! There's a reason that - when we're learning or trying anything new (a diet, a technique, a personality adjustment) - we refer to the early stages as "baby steps". Applaud yourself for minor victories, learn from the setbacks, and carry on!

Sorry to continue the thread hi-jack, but this discussion has morphed into some valuable conversation, I think. Lylacfey and SkyBlueSky have provided a lot of great perspective. Actually, EVERYONE who has chimed in has been helpful, IMHO...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #70  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Wow...lot to catch up on.

I agree with Lydia-I have learned a lot when doing a 40 card run...I thought I understood it when I started. Invariably it takes longer than I expected. Every time. By days, not hours. Along the way, I figure out short cuts, tips, etc. Might not be till card 25 though. Then I just pray I remember it for next time. Sometimes I will write it down. :rolleyes:

I'm still working on her "make for the trash" idea but I am trying! LOL

I'm in the turtle brigade. I am making stuff the vets did years ago. Dont care. It's new to me. What's interesting is when I watch vids a lot of it is doing old stuff, just in a different way. ie We did gradiated color with a brayer. Now we sponge.

What will burn me big time me is if I see a teacher who is nasty if you dont get it right away. Like you are some kind of creature who shouldnt be out in public or at least in the daylight. The person is honestly trying. Stop being a putz and sit down and help them even if you have to do it after class. Sheesh.

Back to spending.
Tip: Keep a file with links in it of stuff you saw. Go back in 2 weeks/month and look at it again. Still looks Amah-zing or now maybe it's just ok that it isnt new anymore.

Another way is look at it every day. If on day 10 you cant stand it anymore, forget about it. By the time you use it for the 10th time you will be sick of it? Not something you need. On the other hand if you keep coming up with new ways you want to use it, that may be a getter.

If you can window shop and be happy, great. If you are making yourself miserable about what you cant have-stop it! That's like banging your head with a balpeen hammer. Ignorance can be bliss in this case.

You have seen the ads where the kid comes to the door with the cupcakes when the lady is on a diet? Not a lot different. Dont open the door.

Stick to what you know. If I cant do A yet, why in the world would I jump to M? That's just ASKING to frustrate myself and then not use the product. If I can do A, I can move on to B or C even. But 15 steps ahead in one leap? No. I dont have a big S on my chest.

It can feel like the flock is going over to that tree. Dont worry about it. This is a good tree, and they will be back. It's how flocks are-they circle constantly. Plus other new people will be coming to the tree. When you are ready, you will change trees. And find people there. No matter what level you are on-others are too. Just b/c the vets may be more verbal doesnt mean there are not TONS of newbies lurking and watching. No newbie is alone! Dont make yourself neurotic trying to keep up with anyone else-spending, making, whatever.

If you want to try new things you can do that with the challenges...does not mean you need a new stamp or whatever. In fact, you could post your card and the person who used a new stamp may see it and want your image!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #71  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
That's because you're at a different place on the creative timeline.

Copying is an essential part of learning in art - how many of us who took drawing classes did all the same perspective drawings, or in painting classes painted an apple or a pear, or in my music classes did scales and arpeggios?

You have to copy for a long time before your own creativity and mastery of technique turns into your own creative expression. I believe what Malcolm Gladwell wrote about was true - at a certain # of repetitions (or hours) - the spark turns into a fire.

What bores an experienced person is essential for a beginner - it's okay to be anywhere on that arc.
Yep!

And I like kits and caseing although I'd consider myself creative. While I like designing my own stuff, that's often the hardest part and takes the most time. If I'm feeling less than inspired I'll case something and that's often the push I need to come up with my own idea or start the flow of ideas. Sometimes I just want to make something (I've got very little time or mojo after the birth of my little one) plain and simple. I just want to create but I may lack the time and or brain power to really get into it so kits or caseing are perfect for that. And sometimes I'll do my own thing with a kit or a case which in and of itself is creative, no? :-) Kits and caseing have their place for sure!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 05:18 AM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Had a thought - actually ON the original topic, lol - that I wanted to throw out there. I know that "using what you have already to accomplish the task" has already been covered, but I wanted to elaborate just a smidge: I was making a "wish list" of dies that I might possibly get at some point in time. Among them were several that were snowflake garlands/borders/centerpieces. Some had poinsettias with them, some had hearts, some had beads. I started to notice similarities among them and started thinking how I could use the snowflake dies and punches and the poinsettia dies and other things already in my stash to get a very similar look. Yes, it would be more cutting than one pass through the Big Shot, but it would have more dimension, too. I got kind of excited about the idea. It made me think of this thread and the whole idea of not getting every pretty thing we see and "making do" with what we have, which may actually morph into "making better"! I'll post a photo after I get a chance to execute the plan (I have to work the next three days straight, so it'll be a minute...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #73  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Very good point Sue. I look forward to see what you show.

This is my hobby. I enjoy it. I know I used to over-think it, spin my wheels, make myself crazy. Not fun. Stopped that.

--I dont need to be as good as anyone else.
--There are things I dont like, or cant do. It's ok. Lightning wont strike me.
--I will never be able to afford everything I might want. It's ok. What is any different about anything else? Do I have every book I ever wanted? No. Wishlists make sure I love what I get and sales ensure I dont regret the price.
--What do I really need? Patience to learn techniques and to buy on sale. Honesty with myself about what I like and really will use. Kindness/tolerance-dont beat myself up when it doesnt work. My Dh didnt give up on golf just because he cant hit a ball x distance.

That's it. Just that simple. I try to live by KISS and this is no different. If you are stressing, something's wrong.

Buying: Think about what it is you are really liking in a card or vid. Is it the image or is it the whole package? DTs are working to showcase the image. It's an ad in reality. Are you loving that DP, the coloring, the technique? Be careful there. I can buy a vase in a store that looks great...but then I get it home and it doesnt. Well, it isnt in the same setting which makes a huge difference.

Trends: I can admire 6 inch heels. But I know even when I wore heels they never went over 3 inches. Is this going to require the purchase of equipment? Be honest with yourself if no one else. You dont want to be your 6 old who screamed and cried to get this toy...and then stopped playing with it in 6 months and moved on to the new favorite. How much are you really going to laminate or whatever? Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Likes