Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2005, 04:44 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The drywall tape is sticky on one side
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:11 AM   #42  
tmz
Rubber Obsessor

Ok, I have a question, doesn't TAC and CTMH also carry some of the same items that SU carries...and if so, wouldn't all of these ideas be a better deal than all of the 3 companies offer. I know that I do not generally use products other than SU, I have tried others, (Not from the other direct sales companies) and I do find that I am more pleased with the quality of the SU.. Just curious...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:13 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nina58
Is it difficult to adhere the drywall tape--or does it have adhesive already on it? If not, what do you use to adhere it? Thanks.
I have not had a problem and have used it many times - BUT if you did maybe heating it up a bit would do the trick - They make carpet tape that is heated to stick to the carpet (not sure if it is the same or not)

OK SO who went and bought all the dry ink pads at ATRS site??!!! There are no more there

Shelley

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:28 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Default Re: re: lipstick embossing

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagerfeetcreations
ok trish- you have really picqued my curiosity:
Quote:

Originally Posted by td8281
More money saving substitutions:

-Emboss with lipstick!

?)
talk about thinking outside the box!
PLEASE EXPLAIN!!!!!
THANKS
misti
For Valentine's cards, kiss your cardstock and then emboss with clear EP. You can also draw simple line art designs and then emboss. Can you tell I've been playing with that make-up I used to put on every morning before I had kids?!?
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:42 AM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

BEWARE: Do NOT use drywall tape in your scrapbooks!! It is not archival quality and will ruin the book that you have put your heart and soul into.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:50 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

My mom used to tell me all while growing up "You get what you pay for."
You go cheap you get cheap and hence you land up spending more in the long run to replace the cheap. SO my theory is pay once and save. Especially on cards and scrapbooking products. (of course they are consumable products, but one should take pride in what they are sending to others as gifts or cards.
There are bargains then there are bargains (cheap/substutes/cutting corners) that just produce more headache in the end.
Be wise and not foolish. That is my $.5
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:08 AM   #47  
Glitter Guru

The Window Sheets that SU sells - can you get them somewhere else? I went to a workshop that we used them for the cutest cards - but 2.95 for just 3 sheets seems very pricey - tack on to that 10% shipping and sales tax. Does Michaels have them? I love my coupons at Michaels - and I know that a lot of SU stuff is another brand with their name on it -- I much prefer to buy stuff like that at Michaels. I KNOW it is the same quality because the same manufacturer makes them....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:30 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a hot laminator and run the pouches through the machine to make my "window sheets." It's worked well for me. I get my pouches at oregonlam.com where they come to 11 cents a sheet. Great price!

Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:31 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had trouble when I bought the drywall tape. It was not straight, even into the middle of the role. I went right back to SU mesh!

Andi Pandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:33 AM   #50  
Mad Swapper

In regards to WIndow sheets...you can use transparency sheets. If you work in an office they may have some. I think they are expensive to buy though (although you get 100 in a box!) In my research I think it ends up being cheaper to just buy the window sheets. Unless, you have access to transparency sheets at the office/school!

There are many good ideas on this thread that I use, and there are many that I have tried, but ended up back at SU for the quality!

See what works for you! And saving money on the way is always a good thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:38 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by APandi
I had trouble when I bought the drywall tape. It was not straight, even into the middle of the role. I went right back to SU mesh!

Andi Pandi
I have not had that problem yet but you know I bought mine from a lady here who was selling it and I am not sure if it is drywall tape or not??!!

Anyway - it is also true that you DO NOT want to use these type products in your scrapbooks....I only use on cards and I know that they will probably not be kept forever.... I don't use many kinds of embellishments in my scarpbooks at all - I do not like the extra thickness that all the stuff adds - SO I keep it more basic and add my layers in pictures and paper!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #52  
The Digi-Freak

my favorite tip is just to go to dollar tree and buy cards 8/$1

After all, saving $ is ALL that is important! :oops:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:49 AM   #53  
Glitter Guru

I got a brown paper bag in my paper Sunday that was from Office Max - You can fill it up and get 15% off of things inthere -- they have 100 of the medium envelopes either white or Ivory for 6.59. The bag is good all week long - but you have to turn the bag in when you use it....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:51 AM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Re: money saving tips

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagerfeetcreations

liquid glycerin for versamark refills
This got me curious. Use the liquid glycerin as is to refill versamark? And where would I buy the glycerin?

Easwari
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 06:51 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly

After all, saving $ is ALL that is important! :oops:
LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 07:01 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Get this:
my awesome friend uses the the canvas background stamp in place of magic mesh! She used silver embossing powder and none of us could tell the difference. I'll get her permission to post the card. Instant Magic Mesh any time you need it - in any color too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 07:02 AM   #57  
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrysmom
Get this:
my awesome friend uses the the canvas background stamp in place of magic mesh! She used silver embossing powder and none of us could tell the difference. I'll get her permission to post the card. Instant Magic Mesh any time you need it - in any color too!
now THAT is a money saving tip I can appreciate!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 07:08 AM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

Default glycerin

laxeash
you can get glycerin at a pharmacy on the shelf
glycerin IS WHAT VERSAMARK IS
misti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 07:24 AM   #59  
Inking Addict

Ok, I don't understand the ink pad thing. Why would I want to spend 2.95 for a reinker and then another 1.00 for a blank 'old style' pad? For 4.95 I can get the new style already inked, and it automatically stores upside down so it stays wet longer. Then, when I need it, I can order the reinker. I've had my new pads ever since they came out, and still have not had to reink them. And I stamp a lot. The new style is bigger, hence being able to ink the large stamps easier. JMO, I absolutely LOVE the newer style of pads. The lid isn't even in the way when I'm inking my stamps!

I was told a long time ago by a demo, who wasn't very good, about the left over foam instead of dimensionals. Bottom line, I tried it. It looks really bad on a card or even scrapbook page. You can see the grey from the sides. UGLY!! Dimensionals are what, 3.95 for 300? Not bad. I usually get them when I have a SU party and am really close to my next level of benefits. Great time to stock up on those.

On the eyelets.....I truly don't want to go to all the trouble of getting out my heat gun and EP to change the color when I can get 50 eyelets of one color, 4 different colors in each container, for what 5.95? Not bad either. Sorry, but for me, convenience sometimes is more important than saving a dollar or two. Besides, the colors match exactly!! That is what I love so much about SU products. The colors all coordinate.

I run my white organdy ribbon through my ink pads when I need a color SU doesn't carry. I love all the SU ribbon because the colors are made by the manufaturer to coordinate with SU colors. Besides, haven't found a ribbon yet that competes with SU color and quality.

I do use the codes on Viking to get my mono, but lately, it just has not been holding up. I bought the Xyron 505 on HSN.com for 29.95. If you order online, you don't pay tax, just shipping. It ended up being 35.00 and change. Best purchase I made in a long time. Local craft stores sell these for 49.95! Plus, mine came with 2 extra adhesive cartridges and a laminatiing one.

I guess I should just be labeled a SU snob. Other than the Xyron and the mono, if it's not SU, I don't use it. Have been that way since I was sucked in by my wonderful demo 3 years ago. I had been to one workshop a year before that and SU did nothing for me. I thought there was no way I was going to spend that kind of money on STAMPS? But with the right demo, SU can be dangerous on the pocketbook, because there is never nothing in the catalog that I don't want. I made the decision to start this hobby knowing it can be pricey. But, I put my heart and soul into these creations, and I don't want it to look cheap. If I cut too many corners, that is exactly what will happen. I want my creations to be of the best quality. JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 07:29 AM   #60  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

WOW Well said JBradley11!!! That is just how I feel too...

Quote:

After all, saving $ is ALL that is important!
I agree too mamakimberly!! You get what you pay for when you try to go cheap!! Especially in the eyelets!! SU's are HIGH quality and aren't that soft yucky metal that most are out there!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 08:31 AM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is another!! My mom went to a Pampered Chef party and bought me one of those kitchen tool holders on a rotating base!! Fantastic. Now all my tools are right at hand. Wonderful space saver.

Another discovery is that you can use food color rather than reinkers for many techniques (do not put in your pads though).

Don't bother with a light box either. Put a string of white Christmas lights under a clear pyrex baking dish and voila!!

Buy locally as much as possible to save shipping costs. I always forget to figure that in to the price and it really does make a difference. Also check to see if your LSS has a punch card or discounts for regular purchases. I had a punch card last year that was worth $116 in free merchandise by December. I have several disabled stamping friends or those with small children and we have a deal that if I will pick up items for them, I get the punch line on my card. Works for both of us.

Buy EP in bulk with your friends and divide into baby food or spice jars and you can get your EP for about 90% less than buying small jars. Add a silicagel packet from your new shoe box and it stays fresh for years and years!

Buy your Coluzzle and supplies at Michaels with your 40% off coupon.

Such a fun thread. LOVE that lipstick idea!! I just put some metallic lipstick on a card by sponging it with Kleenex and embossed and got an awesome background on black paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Go in with a friend when ordering online and split the shipping cost. I just did this with the Perfect Ink Refresher.

Brayering over different textured materials make neat backgrounds Examples: burlap, mesh bags (like produce comes in), cheesecloth.

Wind rubberbands around the acrylic brayer attachment roll in ink and you've got a cool background.

For small dots (circles) use the eraser of a new pencil as a rubber stamp.

The lipstick idea is a good use for all those tubes I bought and then found the color wasn't good on me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 10:47 AM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMPORTANT! I haven't read all the posts since last night so I don't know if this information has already been sent out, but here goes.....

I was searching the net for Perfect Ink Refresher and found a great site. It is www.wilde-ideas.com

They are selling the ink refreshers for $4.99 and they have very reasonable shipping. They also have a special every Wednesday. This weeks special that she gave me today, was their line of aquapainters for 25% off. She said they are the original good ones. I think she said Ninja brand. She has mini, small, medium, large, and a flat one for washes.

The number os 1-800-558-8680 or you can order over the web.

Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 10:53 AM   #64  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks so much for the site. My LSS has decided to carry it, but in the meantime I need to buy some for stamp group!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #65  
Kookie Creator

Ok - I feel kinda dumb - what is LSS?

Will work for stamps! My Gallery!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

Local Stamp Store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #67  
Kookie Creator

Duplicate post - sorry! :oops:

Will work for stamps! My Gallery!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 11:38 AM   #68  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Buy locally as much as possible to save shipping costs
Ya know if you go in with friends and order on one order and split the shipping costs it will be CHEAPER to order from Stampin Up. At the price of gas I can't see running all over the place to save a buck or two!!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 11:45 AM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

SU white cardstock over W@lmart cardstock
Do this simple test:
stamp an image on SU white and then on W@lmart white. Compare the two images. The ink soaks into SU white so much better giving you a more crisp/solid image. Even with the very fine detailed stamps. Almost like it was printed rather than stamped.

I am all about saving $$ but I also take great pride in my stamp work so sometimes you have to spend a little more to get a better end result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #70  
Glitter Guru

I just found a package of write on transparancies in a box in our home office! I am so excited now that I know they are the same as the window sheets. Cant wait to get some pearl ex to make some pretty cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 12:06 PM   #71  
Insane Embellisher

Didn't someone say you could use eyeshadow for a substitute for pearl ex?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 12:08 PM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

Kar,
Who's on your Avatar?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #73  
Mad Swapper

I to use the ink refreshener...and like it. I also like the dry wall tape and love that it picks up the SU dye inks so it's easy to make the exact color I want, magic mesh sometimes just couldn't match the color of SU papers. Great tips! TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 12:29 PM   #74  
Polyshrink Goddess

Splitting shipping would be a great idea when it is a flat rate. When it goes up with each item no one saves any money by splitting it because each person pays the same on each item no matter what. If I order $50 I pay $5 shipping. If my friend adds $50 to my order, I still pay my $5 and she pays $5 more. No savings that way. Buying locally means zero shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dot
Splitting shipping would be a great idea when it is a flat rate. When it goes up with each item no one saves any money by splitting it because each person pays the same on each item no matter what. If I order $50 I pay $5 shipping. If my friend adds $50 to my order, I still pay my $5 and she pays $5 more. No savings that way. Buying locally means zero shipping.
Think of all the wear and tear you put on your vehicle - all the gas you use running around getting bargains! No offense, but I enjoy getting my deliveries from Brown! It is so much easier to have things shipped to my house - no dragging the kids out to Mike's or Jo's....no picking up those lovely viruses from the shopping carts....no coupons to clip....no dealing with running to Mike's or Jo's for an item which they are out of...no THANKS!

Some things are apples to apples. Sure it is nice to get a versamark pad at Mike's for 40% off. But you cannot compare the cardstock, the ink, the elements and ESPECIALLY the stamps! You just cannot! I am all about saving a buck here or there - but the cheaper cardstock ...no thanks. Running around to dollar stores finding empty ink containers....I don't think so...

I would rather use my light box than haul a glass pyrex dish with a strand of christmas lights in my craft area. :shock: Spend your money on the stamp sets, cardstock and ink at SU! It is not just SHIPPING, it is handling and OVERHEAD. They have to pay people to fill your orders. And if you have ever had an issue with an order, SU is the most phenomenal company to work with. I have nothing but praise for SU and their customer service.

This is JMHO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #76  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default hmmmm

If I want to save money...

...I'LL QUIT STAMPING!

:lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 01:22 PM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

WOW - what great ideas! I am putting this one on my watch list. I also have the pad refresher and love it! It is great stuff. My favorite $ saving tip is not buying things unless you have a 40% or better off coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #78  
Inking Addict

Default You choose ~

Well all of this tips and comments are great !!
i loved reading them and i can see that some don't like the ideas of spending the money on the SU suppllies and others Just think there number 1 !
Well if you enjoy getting out of the house once in a while and going to the store to buy your products then thats great !

Or

If you enjoy your delaivery affair with the stranger dressed in brown like most women do than thats just great to !

which ever you choose i have enjoyed reading this post thanks to every one !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Tips

Where do you purchase the Perfect Ink refresher?? I have an old SU pad Luscious Lime and they don't sell it anymore. Also the Crystal effects 3-d at walmart I've never seen it where abouts is it??? Thanks for all the other $$$ tips too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #80  
Polyshrink Goddess

My demo just showed me another great tip this morning! Instead of glue dots, take your scissors and cut up a bunch of glue sticks. Takes about a minute to cut a whole baggie of them. Cut them very small then lay one on your card, slightly heat with your heat gun and you have a glue dot!!
Reply With Quote Likes