Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Tipping????

I just placed a tiny order w My Favorite Things with their Wednesday sale....

And in the payment section they asked if I would like to tip the MFT team. There is an option for no which I used.

Excuse me??? I have to say I was shocked. I already have to pay shipping as they are an online company. And to do this during covid when people are out of work-I would think they would be happy to get any business.

What do you think?

I already dont like the tip jars at counter service. Sometimes I will if they do something extra but I consider them doing their job. How else am I supposed to buy from the store? Maybe I am just a cheap grouch.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Hardware Hotshot

Received 291 Likes on 193 Posts

I haven’t heard of tipping an online store before. I’m guessing they’re desperately trying to help their employees. I wouldn’t tip the cashier at the grocery store, so I can’t see myself tipping an online store.

However, having friends and family in the food service industry, I know tips are often the main source of their income. So, my hubby and I have been tipping a bit extra when we get carryout cause some people don’t tip at all. Someone stole the tip jar at a local restaurant we frequent - it’s owned and run by a husband and wife. They’ve lost about 70% of their business already and to have someone steal that little extra just stinks!
Proud Fan Club Member

I totally agree on the waitstaff tipping-I have always been generous there esp if they gave me good service. I have been doing a little extra for delivery people too since covid. That's why I got so mad with Amazon-they lost a 61 million decision for stealing the tips from their delivery people! How low.

The auto tipping is also true on insta cart from Coscto. But as it turns out -it is less than I would give the person at the door so they actually get even more when they arrive-provided they wait and let me count the order. Too often I was short so I got smart. Last time I was over and did not see the package till too late. You cant text them anymore either once they leave so I could say come back and get it-so somebody else might have been shorted which is too bad. Nice guy.

I have not placed an order in awhile from MFT so I have no idea how long that has been going on. Did not happen last year though.
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't ordered from MFT since late December and they didn't have it then.

I'm not a fan of the tipping jar either.
Rubber Obsessor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As a part time barista in a grocery store, I appreciate any tips we get. I recently moved just before the pandemic and had a difficult time getting a new job. Unfortunately it was apparent no one wanted to hire this old lady with plenty of practical experience. So I had to resort to the grocery store. They have a Starbucks and that's where I landed. It's not easy to work for such a small wage after a forty year career. I made more in my 20's then I'm making now. And by the way, those tips are usually split between 3 or 4 baristas. Just something to think about.
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

In some states employers can pay restaurant workers below minimum wage because they receive tips and they figure that counts as income. Adding a tip at a restaurant, to a delivery and even a dollar or two at a drive thru window can make a big difference to people. I do agree having a tip automatically added is irritating and for an online order seems bizarre.
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I have no problem with tipping (in-person, not for online orders like the OP is talking about) but what gets me is the "asking" of a tip before the service has even been provided. There's an ice cream/chocolate store in our area that asks for the tip on the credit card reader, but the issue I have with it is that I pay immediately after placing the order, before the employee has left the register to begin making our orders. Why would I tip before I've received the service?

Received 848 Likes on 280 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
I have no problem with tipping (in-person, not for online orders like the OP is talking about) but what gets me is the "asking" of a tip before the service has even been provided. There's an ice cream/chocolate store in our area that asks for the tip on the credit card reader, but the issue I have with it is that I pay immediately after placing the order, before the employee has left the register to begin making our orders. Why would I tip before I've received the service?
When I'm paying for something at a counter (Starbucks, etc), I'm paying because I'm receiving service, not based on the quality of service so to speak.
Almost all of these service counter businesses pay minimum wage or slightly over so I don't ever have a problem paying a small tip before service is being rendered.
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If there is a tip jar or a sign asking I dont do it! But if I'm satisfied with whatever, i give a tip to whomever waited on me. They can put it in the jar or keep it. That's not my responsibility.
if we go to a drive thru, we often give a tip. Or, I've been known to give them a thank you card!
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
In some states employers can pay restaurant workers below minimum wage because they receive tips and they figure that counts as income. Adding a tip at a restaurant, to a delivery and even a dollar or two at a drive thru window can make a big difference to people. I do agree having a tip automatically added is irritating and for an online order seems bizarre.
In my state (WA) minimum wage is $13.79 per hour and more in Seattle itself. Before the pandemic I tipped but not huge amounts. During the pandemic I've been more generous.
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I've only seen the online store tipping since the Pandemic. I normally tip for restaurants and coffee shops. During the Pandemic I have been tipping more than usual.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Since the pandemic, March of 2020, I've had 2 Subway subs, a McDonalds Shamrock shake and for my birthday my daughter ordered a Domino's pizza. No other food ordered from anywhere for the past full year - but I normally tipped 20%, just to help out the server. I don't think it's fair that some places require the service people to share tips with their co-workers. I also do tip $1. or $2. in the summer when I go to one full service gas station for my lawn mower gas - something my late husband always did. That is the only time I go full service, and it's to 'help' out the kid working at the one particular gas station. I have seen on line orders asking for tips as well, but have never 'donated' extra money either before or since the pandemic.

Good topic...
John 3:16
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

We used to own restaurants and we paid less than minimum wage because their tips would fulfill that amount. Government said so. Many eateries pay nothing because tips will be more than minimum wage. I don't tip at any fast food places. They know before they take the job how much they will earn. I tip my hairdresser and select others. Uber and doordash drivers really depend on tips. I wouldn't ever tips a salesperson in a store and I'm shocked that MFT would even mention tipping. You start your business with your costs in mind and charge your prices accordingly...the end
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Tipping MFT for fulfilling an order... that’s odd.
I wonder if it’s a feature of the website, though that would mean it got added (wasn’t there before).

I suppose the craft industry could be hurting because of the pandemic but the crafters I know are purchasing as much as usual (and some more) because of being home more and sending more cards. I suppose they will get enough feedback to know if it was worth adding.

Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

As long as it's not automatically added and it's our choice to add the tip ... will definitely look into that the next time I place an order.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just doing some shopping on Kat Scrappiness website and they were also asking for a tip.
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

so you think they are really ASKING for the tip or is it just part of the software that someone did not deselect it as an option.

for example, when the produce store by me got their card running capability ( possibly via square?) the tip option was there, then after some months it was not there any more. as if someone realized that they didnt need that step.

My Blog
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Has anyone contacted MFT and asked them if they were asking for a tip, or if it is a software problem. I don't shop there so I'm not going to make the time to pop an item in the cart and try to checkout to see what is going on.
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to philsmom

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
Nope, not gonna happen. I'm also not a fan of tip jars on counter tops, I'm not going to give you a tip for doing your job. And for an online store to ask for a tip to help support their team - uhm, no. So tacky.
I agree. A tip should be for above and beyond. The exception is waitstaff who need tips to counteract their low wages. I wish waitstaff were paid more. We have a bistro near us that takes a European model servers are paid $15.00 an hour and you do not have to leave a tip. Contrast with waitstaff in other restaurants who are paid less than half that per hour and rely on tips.
Our local farmstand put out a tip jar. All he or she does is ring up the produce that I carry to the cashier. I thought it was ridiculous to have a tip jar.

Last edited by philsmom; 03-16-2021 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Added
Proud Fan Club Member

I dont think it would right to try to do a snapshot of the MFT screen....

Here is what it says

Show your support for the team at MFT Stamps
then it gives you several % choices or none or make your own and then thanks you for supporting the team.

It is a sizeable box but not necessarily a hard sell.

Now Kat Scrappiness is doing it too? I hope this is not becoming a new thing.
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

OK so yeah - thats not an accident

My Blog
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

It's a pandemic, and there's economic disaster everywhere, especially in this industry. We will be lucky to see our favorite crafty businesses survive the next few years.

Closing this thread as its purpose is negative and some posts violate our rules as a result.