Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would need to stock up on white cardstock, adhesives, replacement blades and a few Copic re inkers.

My Blog
Proudly designing for - Your Next Stamp ~ The Greeting Farm ~ Ribbon Carousel
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #42  
Kookie Creator

When things get tight, and they have been for over a year now, I use what I have --- and I have a LOT!!! It's amazing how much I collected over the past few years. I have plenty to work with and get lots of inspiration from this whole site and these forums so I'm good. Here's a little motto I've been trying to live by for the past year also - Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #43  
Hardware Hotshot

My budget is always tight so I must carefully consider all of my purchases.

When I see something I don't have, but think I want I copy it to my desktop. Then I look at it in a week or two and see if I really want/ need it or was it just a passing whim. If I still want it I put it on my wish list.

Often I find in a week or so I am not as excited about it as I was the first time I saw it. This way I make wise purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Great topic! If I had to cut way back I'd make sure I had plenty of Stampin' Up! Sticky Strip, SNAIL, Dimensionals, Glue Dots, and Anywhere Glue Sticks!

The other thing that I think really saves is going with Stampin' Up! Card Stock and Designer Series Paper...I know I won't be stuck with a bunch of paper that doesn't go together and feel like I have to head to the store to find something else (kinda like my clothes closet...closet full of clothes and nothing to wear! Same principal!).

Whisper White Card Stock and envelopes are the best and I'd stock up there, and as for embellishments, once again if I had a few tins of matching Stampin' Up! brads and buttons plus a few rolls of taffeta, grosgrain, and satin ribbon I'd be set!

Oh, lots of Kraft Card Stock and Linen Thread too! And Grid Paper, Stampin' Mist, and a VersaMark Ink Refill!

I can't quit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a broke college student I feel that buying DCWV DP stack and matching CS with either sales or coupons is really smart. It is a way to get lots of paper for a very cheap price then you layer it on creap Georgia Pacific #110 stock white for the bases of your cards (wal-mart sell this in packs of 200 for appox $6). I Love inkadinkado clear stamps and Hero arts stamps in all varieties. Also look for sales at Gina K Design- she just had one so I really don't expect another anytime soon but she has in the past offered a free stamp set for an order of only $35. It is a great way to to obtain quality cling mount red rubber stamps. They are awsome- truly awsome quality and design. I also love her paper but for a college student it might be a little out of reach (it would have been for me when I was in college). I also recommend checking out
www.scrapbookingalley.com for every day crafting supplies - not speciality items per say. You can get stamps, ink, adhesive and loads of other items very-very cheap. They just upped the prices on Nesties but they now run about what you can get them at big box stores on sale (Appox $18 per set). Good luck and have fun!!!

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Default Great Thread!!!

Wow!!! I really envy those of you on the other side of Financial Peace University!!! My husband and I are only in the 6th week of the program and have just started to "Debt Snowball!!!" The load of our debt is astronomical and overwhelming (most of it is due to THIS CRAFT!!!) A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who have made great financial choices for you and your family. My splurging day are now officially OVER. Our tight budget is only going to get relief as the "Snowball" builds. We did manage to keep a SMALL craft fund as part of our budget but it will be nothing like it was before. But the necessities SOLID C/S, great adhesives, and a Great Trimmer.

Thanks for the Great Thread!!! You Dave Ramsey graduates have truly INSPSIRED me!!!

Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

I lost my job in May of last year. Since I don't have the money to be buying a lot of stamping items it's made me go into my stash of paper I've been putting off using. I buy it because I like it then don't have the heart to cut it up. I got good deals on stamp pads and stamp at garage sales last summer. About the only thing I've been spending money on is white cs and adhesive. When things get better hubby better get out of my way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

I never heard of Dave Ramsy What is "Debt Snowballing?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #49  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
My budget is always tight so I must carefully consider all of my purchases.

When I see something I don't have, but think I want I copy it to my desktop. Then I look at it in a week or two and see if I really want/ need it or was it just a passing whim. If I still want it I put it on my wish list.

Often I find in a week or so I am not as excited about it as I was the first time I saw it. This way I make wise purchases.
That's a great way to 'try on' things you think you want. Another thing I do is I STOP LOOKING AT CATALOGUES AND FLYERS. All it does is make me want, want, want. Monkey no see, monkey no buy ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #50  
Glitter Queen

I would stock up on adhesive, dots, dimensionals and reinkers. I have tons of stuff just asking to be used. Also, my friends and I have made a concience effort to meet at someone's house and attend a crop once and month to get together to use what we have. I sit down and plan my projects so all I have to do is pull out a "pack" and everything is is there ready to go. When I do go to buy something, I try to think of as many uses as I can for that product so I can justify getting it, if not, I think twice. We are all trying to cut back due to the unknown and this is our way of trying to control ourselves. Between the three of us, we could open our own shop and not have to order any inventory to stock it. Up until a few months ago we have been "collectors", doing this for 10 years, now we want to be stampers, scrapbookers and altered media crafters.

This thread has been very eye opening to read! Good luck to all without jobs in obtaining them and hats off to the ones not in debt!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

Default One More Thing

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][SIZE="4"]I forgot to mention that one poster mentioned "stocking up" on Nugget tins. Although I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these...I came across a tutorial right here at SCS in the RESOURSES link at the top...there are hundreds of wonders "projects" to use you "stash" on however about a little more than half way down is a tutorial on how to make your own nugget boxes out of Patterned paper or CS. There are many, many sizes depending on how many "nuggets" you want to fill. I just the other night spent hours and hours printing out all the wonderful tutorials. (I especially likes the Flower Pot Card) for Easter/Mother's Day coming up. My husband was a little put off about using all the printer ink but when he saw all the wonderful projects I can make for people (ie. teachers end-of-year) He got just as excited as me. (Well almost!!!)

About "Debt Snowballing"...Now keep in mind we are new to the program but in a nutshell. You list all your debtors from highest balance to lowest balance (regardless of intrest rate) And you commit to ONLY pay the minimum payment on all except the lowest balance...You throw ALL you can (established by your cash flow budget set earlier in the program) with a vengeance to the LOWEST balanced creditor until payed in full. Then you take that amount plus the minimum on the next lowest balanced account and Throw everything you can with a vengeance (Dave call it Gazelle Intensity) until that one if paid off and so forth. He considers "being debt free" when the only creditor you owe is your mortgage company. He is HIGHLY AGAINST ANY CAR PAYMENT PERIOD!!! Fortunately for us my car has been paid for for over a year and Because of being GAZELLE INTENSE...I will make the FINAL payment on Jeff's car this WEEK YEA!!!

10,000 Blessings,
Valerie

P.S. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #52  
Inking Addict

Nobody mentioned this, but if you need to cut back severely, you could on occasion, buy ribbons or buttons or even stamps at Target Dollar Spot. You get a lot for your dollar there, and they even have designer paper there sometimes. I have been amazed to find lots of paper crafting supplies in the bins from time to time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

Default ONE MORE Thing

The Dave Ramsey Program highly recommends you use CASH ONLY. Literally!!! Green Paper Bills (no debit card even) to pay for everything. You budget your expenses into categories and each category has an envelope with the budgeted cash in it. That's it!!! It is more PAINFUL to fork over the GREEN than to slide your card. You can't spend what you don't have. My first grocery trip I literally had to go through bags to remove $18 of groceries that I did not have the cash for. I don't think I will EVER make that mistake again.
Valerie.
Sorry for steering off topic...but I wish I had someone tell me 17 years ago!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Re: Dave Ramsey...Debt Snowball is a way of paying off your debt. His Financial Peace univeristy is so life changing...I am paying of another major debt on 4/1. We are doing so well on this...it is very exciting to watch your financial picture change..love love love this program.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

OMG that is the exact system I used 35 years ago to become debt free. I would have been debt free sooner if I have marketed my system.

I had debts and read how much I would pay if I included interest and decided I had to become debt free.

I had a car loan at the time with my Credit Union. When the loan was repaid I continued to have the car payment amount deducted from my checks and deposited in a savings account. When I needed a new car ( 14 years later) I paid cash.
I saved 20% down and bought a house. I paid it off in 17 years by paying extra every single month.

If anyone thinks I had great wealth I raised 3 children ( from ages 3-5 & 6) totally alone with little or no help from their father. My highest earning year was 40K
And while I was doing this I saved 6% in my 401K
It can be done
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

awesome thread, and great tips
I will be applying them for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Barbara Jay you are an inspiration..I wish someone had taken the time to help me understand things better when I was starting out in life. I had little to no assistance with how to handle money...I am thrilled that my son went through the Financial Peace university with me (he just turned 29 on Sunday) and is now going through it again with his girlfriend. He has a chance at financial freedom while he is still young.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't have anyone to guide me either. i just knew on my meager income I would never have anything if I continued to pay interest on things I bought. It really adds up. It is no savings to buy something on sale and then pay interest . You pay more than you would if you waited and paid full price.

My kids didn't know pizza could be delivered. LOL . I made it. Even today you can make 2 large Pizzas loaded with toppings for about $6-7 and it only takes a few minutes. I bought 2 Italian sausages from the deli ( boiled them and took the meat from the casings) and then all you need is tomato sauce, spices, a small can of mushrooms, onions and cheese . The flour, yeast and water for the crust cost pennies.
I made everything from scratch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #59  
Mad Swapper

Default Same here

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitargerleView Post
If we were in that position I'm not sure I'd want to stamp. when DH has been unemployed before it has been soooooooo stressful that I didn't so any stamping at all. Things I would stock up on in case though would be adhesive and envelopes. I am good with everything else. I'm actually quite horrified at what I DO have. I have been in boxes for sooooo long and unable to use my things and now I am finally getting them unpacked and organised and finding that I have too much. Looking for local places to donate.

Guitargerle,
I am in the same position. I have sooo much stuff and not enough room to unpack it. I haven't stamped at all since Xmas, but I want everything unpacked and organized before I start up again. Good luck with your unpacking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #60  
Compulsive Stamper

Hello ladies...these are all good ideas and I am sure I will use some of them..I live on ss so I don't have much to spend on stamping.....I know some of you use the clear plastic shoe bags that hang over the door to store your punches in..and you say you have gotten them at the dollar store...I have tried every dollar store I go in to find them but to no avail...are they obsolete or is it just my dollar stores...If you all can help me I sure would appreciate it a lot...I have a lot of people looking for them for me....but they have found none either...so any help would be appreciated...thanks...Jewell
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #61  
Matboard Maniac

Barbara Jay and Amber!!!
Thank you both for being so encouraging to me. CONGRATS Barbara Jay!!!! Amber...Kuddos to your son. I WISH, I WISH, I WISH, SOMEONE had shared with me 17 yrs ago these principals when we first got married. Fortunately I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel now.
Valerie
P.S. I have three daughters 11yrs, 7yrs, and 3...My 7 yr old came home crying yesterday and when I asked her why she said this as she handed me her Scholastic Book order form for the month...,"I don't think Dave Ramsey said books were in our budget, did he mom?" In the few week that we have buckled down we have hounded and hounded to ourselves and to the girls about our strict budget...Your kids do listen to you!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #62  
Inking Addict

I have had to find other ways to do things or make my own as my husband and I have not had full time jobs for quite a while now. I make my own glue dots, color my own ribbon, make flowers for my projects out of paper using tools around the house (I now have the right tools though), I have used paper to look like brads, paper to look like ribbon and on and on and on. We are just now getting (as I say) our foot out of the muck bucket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #63  
Insane Embellisher

A funny thing happened to me! I used to love going into Michael's and JoAnn's for wonderful have-to-have items and thus I have lots of things - but last September I started selling Stampin' Up (which I resisted for probably ten years). I love their products and now I'm not drawn to the papers and ribbons, etc. from these two stores. Also I do use other embellishments in my stamping and on my blog but I guess I've finally wound down to one source mostly. I have also started a new blog and that keeps me out of the stamping room a little bit so I'm not using as much of my supplies right now anyway! We are hoping and praying that my husband's retirement check won't go down again, but if it does I have enough products to last until I'm 100! LOL . This is a fun thread, thanks for starting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #64  
Insane Embellisher

Re: Dave Ramsey...Debt Snowball is a way of paying off your debt. His Financial Peace univeristy is so life changing...I am paying of another major debt on 4/1. We are doing so well on this...it is very exciting to watch your financial picture change..love love love this program.
blessings.

Our church sponsors Crown Ministries, which I suspect is very similar. Haven't been able to take this course yet, but as soon as hubby gets back to work (he was laid off 18 months ago), this is what we'll be doing. At this point, we're just barely keeping our heads above water, so paying extra on ANY bill is impossible for us right now. To add insult to injury, as a state worker, I'm on furlough so my paycheck has been reduced over 10%. As it is, I'm working two extra part-time jobs (in addition to my f/t job)....three if you count the cards I sell. This is the only $ I keep nowadays for my hobby. But the car will be paid off in July, and I've already decided to use Barbara Jay's method and keep putting that money away....either for future car repairs, but eventually for a new car.

As for the original question (!), I've found that purchasing my heavy base cardstock and envies from Papers Plus (a local paper wholesaler) really saves me a lot of money. I buy my beloved ribbon from Walmart or Mike's on sale (never pay full price!), and utilize my Mike's coupons to death. My friends and I share stamp sets we love (no sense in ALL of us having the same sets!), and my last stamp purchases have all been either mega clearance items or the Verve Plain Jane sets (love those little gems of hope and wisdom!!). I have enough DP to last a lifetime, and one or two pkgs of the S/U CS families would be sufficient (along with what I already have) to keep me going for quite some time. I stocked up on my Pritt tape runner some time ago so I'm good there, and if push came to shove, I could go back to glue sticks for some things (I despise them usually, but the price is right!).

This has been a great thread and I've learned alot!

Thanks!
Kathy
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

Default Homemade Glue Dots?

I would love to learn how to make homemade Glue Dots is anyone is willing to share the recipe???
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #66  
Matboard Maniac

You are right Val! Keep plugging! Before you know it, it will become second nature.

It has been many years since I used a credit card, or had a loan. We pay cash for everything, including cars now. We use the old "envelope" method. We divide the cash each week into envelopes for most categories and we can spend from that envelope until it is gone. We don't do that for bills, but for things like groceries, gas, lunches etc.

The first key is to make sure you do a written budget that is realistic and to tweak it every month with your "family finance meeting" until you get it just right, and then revisit again if you have changes in income or once you pay off one of the debts. You can't know how much money you have if you dont know where your money is going.

We looked at Crown Financials and Dave Ramsey, and while they are similar, Dave's program is just way better at paying off debt, while Crown is much better at budgeting and planning your future...the things you do once you get out of debt.

The hardest part is separating yourself from that I need it now mentality that got you into trouble in the first place (for most people). I had to start thinking in terms of "do I "need" this, or do I 'want" this". If it was a need, it was put into the budget, if it was a want, it came out of my mad money and if I didnt have enough for it, I saved it.

We did lay down the rule that the budget was the budget, we talked about big purchases before we spent, but each of our "mad money" expenditures were off limits for critiquing from the other. So if he wanted to save up for a guy toy, that was his business, if I wanted to spend on crafting, that is mine. This way neither of us felt deprived, we just had to delay.

We sold everything that wasn't nailed down. We got second jobs and threw everything we could at that debt, lowest to highest. While Dave knows monetarily speaking, paying off the highest to lowest is best in terms of dollars spent, his philosophy is that if you knock out the lowest, boom..boom, boom...the "high" you get from paying it off and crossing it off your list is what keeps you motivated to keep going. If you were staring at the highest balance, you might have that panic feeling of never getting there and give up.

It is very nice knowing the state of the economy knowing that we are "ok" and not in a panic situation like we would have been when we were in debt.

Last edited by Bethshaya; 03-10-2010 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #67  
Inking Addict

Default glue dots

I invested in some glue called TACK-IT Over & Over. By Aleene's. I have saved strips narrow and wide from other people who buy the glue dots and I then spread these out on a table and on some I make large dots, some small dots, some medium. I have also kept the spools that the store bought ones had come on and I have not bought glue dots in a very long time. But if anyone has a recipe instead of me buying Aleene's Please email me at [email protected]
I also make my own envelopes and have a recipe for the glue you lick to seal the envelope. I use the cleaning spray that you make to clean your stamps too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnvalView Post
I would love to learn how to make homemade Glue Dots is anyone is willing to share the recipe???
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #68  
Matboard Maniac

Since I'm considered the queen of cheap (by my DH), I'll share what I do.
I make my own stamp cleaner, it's a copy cat of SU's:
2 Cups distilled water
2 T Rose Water (purchased at health store)
1 T Baby wash (I used a generic brand) Mix and store. WHen you are ready to use it, mix it 4 parts water to 1 part cleaner. I mix it in a recycled squirt bottle from hair dye.

If you go to a print shop, they might give you left over cardstock they have from print jobs. Most of them will as they throw them away. You might get 500 sheets of hot pink in 4 X 8 pieces but I've been lucky to get some wonderful stuff if you tell them what you want.
Same for envelopes, ask them to save for you at a Hallmark if they will. Make friends with someone that works there.

I only buy things on sale when I do. I've been stamping for 13 years so I have a lot, I could go without buying for years if I had to (but I collect rubber).

Buy versatile stamps in your style. Buy things you can use for BD, Thank you, sympathy, etc. You can't go wrong with a good floral, leaves and trees...if you like them. If your style is more animals, find some that you won't tire of or are reasonable. If you have any friends that stamps, share with them but if you loan something out, keep a list.

Like others said, keep the embellishments to a minimum, it saves on postage too. Don't hoard your stuff. You will tire of it or forget it.

Stock up on consumables when they are on sale. Cardstock and tape. With those you can make a card with just stamps. Make your own DP. WHen I started stamping no one used it on their cards, we used background stamps or some other stamps to stamp a background.

If you search enough, you will find ways to make your own whatevers...sprays, flowers, etc. plus other substitutions for techniques..ie watered down white acrylic paint for gesso.

when you are ordering just unmounted rubber stamps, ask if they will cut shipping costs. If they won't, I will keep looking. I refuse to pay $5-$6 shipping for 1 or 2 stamps plus I will wait for sales on free shipping or search for places that have it.

Since I have so many stamps now if I am thinking of ordering, I will put them in a cart and think about it. If it's something that is on sale, I might continue to check out but it has to be something I really like and don't have or can use a lot.

That's another thing, when buying stamps, think about how many ways you can use it. IF you can't think of 5 ways, forget it. When I was starting out and liked a certain company that had grab bags I bought those. I only got a few stamps I didn't like.

Buy refills with stamp pads. Buy in bulk, look for things not necessarily made just stamping, like washers for embellishments, heat guns in a paint department, stamping sponges are also used for ceramics and horse saddle (tack) cleaning. I buy them by the dozen for under $5. Always look around for things that you can use in stamping.

Get on message boards where people will share sales. I got a tip on one a few years ago about Prismacolor pencils on sale with a coupon and free shipping, the BIG set I got for $28, it sells at Hobby Lobby for $150. If there is something you want, ask people where the best price is. We are a good resource. Don't necessarily believe that a sale price/group buy is a good deal, keep looking and asking. On most things, I find I can get them for 30-40% off like spellbinders, copics etc.

Set a budget. I limit myself to $50 a month...except Nov.-Jan. I'm still recovering from Christmas shopping. GASP, I do charge things at Christmas, only at Kohl's to get the percent off. Sometimes I skip a month or 2 before CHA when I know new things are coming out. I'm a sucker for those but I have to think long and hard about them.

We are lucky, we both have job security but if we didn't, I know I could get buy not getting anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #69  
Hardware Hotshot

Kathy, My car payment to myself was the "car fund" savings account. Over the 14 years I had the car, all tires, mufflers, at least one clutch and other repairs came from the car fund account. So even if I had a major repair I didn't need to charge it . Plus in 14 years when I needed a new car I had the money to pay cash. I didn't use that savings for anything but car expenses no matter how tempting it was LOL

I had another small savings for other stuff.
Another thing I did was have a "Christmas Club" account. Most Credit Unions still have them. The money came right out of my check. They mail you the money the first week of November. It was so nice to get that check and not worry about the Christmas expenses.
The amazing thing is you don't miss money you don't see on your check.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #70  
Embossing Fanatic

Default sort of loosing my job...

My company has been acquired so I have finally received by long-awaited severance package, then I will retire and take early SSI. So, for the past year I have been buying supplies. In addition, I live out in the boonies so I tried to buy up what I could so that I wouldn't have to run out and buy something to finish a project. I did buy the Cricut for myself for Mothers' Day last year ;). Other than that, I have concentrated on education and adhesives. I have not bought much PP/DP in the past year as I have loads already. I have not bought any embellies this past year except for the occasion ribbon I see on sale. FYI - March 30 is my last day of work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #71  
Hardware Hotshot

Congratulations on your pending retirement. I retired 10 years ago and have not regretted one day of it !! I also took early retirement
I never set my alarm clock and don't go out on inclement days LOL
Wait until the first day when it is snowing or pouring rain and you can say Wohoo I will just stay home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #72  
Matboard Maniac

OK, Betty shall further be known as the Queen of Savings! Wow, those are some awesome tips!

I'm already making my own stamp cleaner, but I am going to look into the Kinko's thing and see if I can get cardstock scraps from them. They are right next door to my work too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #73  
Cardstock Collector

I buy a lot of products from the US via the internet to economise as items in Australia are extremely expensive and it is cheaper to buy from the US and pay postage then it is to get things here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #74  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks! I must say that I have had it pretty nice for the last 3 years. I work in IT and have been able to work from home. Haven't had to drive in the snow for a while. I get up, shower, log in...it has been wonderful!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

Default Thanks Betty!!!

WOW Betty!!! Thanks for all your input...I also make my own stamp cleaner...I actually use two different kinds. I use a very diluted Simple Green Cleaner as one and my other is similar to your recipe except I use glycerin instead of Rose Water...Which I happen to have on hand b/c I make my own organic/natural body products and I use the RoseWater and Glycerin for a facial toner. Actually I think it might be the same recipe as your stamp cleaner. LOL Can you please elaborate on why use use the Rose Water for stamp cleaner solution. I am SSSOOOO intrigued.

Blessings,
Valerie

P.S. I am SSSOOO loving this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #76  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Learn to make your own crocheted flowers from embroidery floss, cheap and easy. The dollar store near here has 'kaisercraft' pearls! Keep an eye out for them! Use punches or dies to make those gorgeous multilayer flowers. Might be an initial outlay of money but if you use them enough, you can save a TON! 5 packs of 6 fancy Prima flowers cost as much as one set of flower Nesties! I made a couple the other night and they turned out really well. Try looking for instructions by Sherry Cheevers and Tosha L. Save blister packaging from craft stuff to make shaker cards. I have gotten free envelopes from drug stores that sell cards, funny that a lot of people leave them behind! Buttons from PTI are very reasonably priced.

Buying 6x6 packs or even 12x12 packs of paper are way cheaper than buying by the sheet. I like the idea of swapping stamp sets but why not join or start an image swap? Clear Dollar Stamps has many sets that closely compare to the more expensive companies yet no sets are more than $14.95 and the even have stamps for a dollar. I use the cardboard from the back of paper packs all the time for making boxes etc. I also use them for covering my workspace from overstamping.

I also think that keeping your space tidy helps a lot. I am constantly finding things I forgot I had which can lead to rebuying. Keep lists of stuff you have like ink/EP/glitter/stckles colours to take to the store. Also keep a list of what you need to buy so you aren't tempted to buy other stuff. It also helps when you buy online so you don't forget what you wanted to get and end up having to pay shipping twice.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great suggestions everyone! I really don't need anything except maybe adhesive. However, a friend of mine has just become interested in stamping and bought a few things on clearance. She works part time and just had to shell out a lot of $ for her dog's surgery, so I've been going through my stash and am giving her 15 stamps sets, neutral cs, ink pads I don't use anymore, and a few embellishments. So the only thing she will need is adhesive and paper cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 04:29 AM   #78  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I agree with Patti about the embellishments. Less is more and all those embellishment really add up for a card that is usually going to be thrown away. Now, I have some recipients who don't throw away my cards so I do go all out but they usually only want cards from me and nothing more.

I am frugal by nature and I also teach frugality. Trust me I am old fashion I use cash for practically everything. Us seasoned frugalites call this the envelope system, lol.

The first bit of saving info we all know sales, coupons, etc...

I also buy a lot of neutrals because I can dye and alter them. I re-purpose everything. I don't really stock up on anything because I hate clutter. I also have a full craft room of beautiful luxury items and I am very picky about what I buy.

Research, research, research before you buy anything.

Can you make the item?

Use multipurpose tools. Of course we all have the tools that are not multipurpose too. Try to keep those down to minimal.

The biggest money waster is clutter. If you can't find it in your craft room you are going to buy a double. If you think your about ready to go through a lifestyle change it's a good time to organize and declutter. You will see exactly what you have, what your problem areas are and what you need to stock up on. Do this for every room in your home. You might stock up on a lot of adhesive but on tight days you will have a ton of glue but might not have enough rice to make yourself dinner.

I always split my packages when I buy something. Half goes to a swap pile so I can trade for new items.

Things I horde and don't split are seashells. I know that is a weird one, lol. I horde white cardstock. It's not stamping but DH & I horde yarn. We both knit and crochet. I also horde embroidery floss.

Another tip buy quality. If you keep buying cheap items it's going to be more expensive in the long run. If you want Copics, save for Copics. Take the time your saving to learn about Copics then when you start getting them in your way ahead of the game.

Cheap products are good too but learn what you like or you will have a Target Dollar Spot in your home. Just because it's a $1 doesn't mean a lot if you can't use it. Trust me I love $1 Spots and stores. I have found many beautiful items at them but I know what I want. Those little dollars add up and I can't buy my expensive items I want.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 04:33 AM   #79  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
Learn to make your own crocheted flowers from embroidery floss, cheap and easy.
I was thinking of trying to make my own. I haven't crocheted in years though. Does anyone know if there is a pattern or directions. I can read and under stand crochet directions and I could try to make my own if I knew how.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 05:09 AM   #80  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 489 Likes on 307 Posts

As a soon to be retired teacher, I know my spending habits will change. Three of our 4 kids are still in college and receive help ranging from housing for one to help with insurance (health) for another to daycare/preschool for a third...but unlike most retirees my income will actually increase when I retire because I will no longer be driving 50 miles a day, buying "professional" dress(hurray for blue jeans and polo shirts), paying union dues or having retirement deducted from my pay check....
Our house is paid for and the car I drive will be paid for in June. Other than that we have no major debt.
Like others, I am trying to use up what I have on hand....having been stamping for only 5 years, I am finally finding a style and know what i want to buy---I find it fairly easy to curb impluse buying when it comes to paper and stamps but I do indulge in punches and items to alter. Adhesive and cardstock would be the items i would stock up on if I anticipated a budget problem...I go through about a roll every three weeks of ATG tape when time allows me to create as I want. Other than that, I am good to go for awhile.
This is an interesting thread and I am going to sub for other ideas.
My older daughter did Dave Ramsey 4 years ago and it made a magnificant difference in their lives. I think it should be required for high school graduation.!!!!!!

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes