Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for those of you who have published items

Other than the satisfaction of being published, which is a gift of itself, do you get anything else? Copies of the magazine or free stuff?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2008, 05:44 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I have heard that there is financial renumeration for many publications. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been really lucky. Published twice in Stampington's Take Ten twice and won the Inkadinkado contest for special occasions card. The joy of being published is huge. I ran around my office with the magazine like a mad woman. And with Take Ten you get a free copy which is sweet since they around $15 each. The big joke for me was the second time they changed the spelling of my name. I now have an alter ego. Just another benefit!!! The Inkadinkado contest was huge for me. Definitely a big confidence booster and $150 in free stuff.

In my opinion send it in. You never know and you might be pleasantly surprised. It also makes you think outside of the box, pushing your design skills. Sorry to say I never photograph the cards I send in for contests or publishing. First I had it when I put something in my favs and it sayes removed for publication. And secondly, I'm really superstitious. If I photograph it then it won't be chosen. Silly I know but oh well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Yes, you usually get a couple of free issues of the magazine that you're published in. Most publications also offer some kind of compensation in the form of either free product provided by their advertisers, or cash. Both of those are usually in the $20-$40 value range.

Some stamp companies will pay you if you get a project published using their stamps, and that can be more than the publication offers. You should check with the stamp company to see if they have a program in place for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I am having my first publication this Fall in CARDS magazine. I know they are giving me 1 or 2 free copies which makes me psyched

other than that, perhaps hoping that some of the companies I used will give me a break on their product? Hey, a girl can dream, right? ;)

I think for the most part, people hoping to get on Design Teams, or people who are already on one try and get published for the sake of giving that company more exposure, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I was published a few times. In Vamp Stamp News you get a rubber stamp that says "I was published in Vamp Stamp News" and I got a copy of that months magazine.

Now with Design Oriignals Paper Play the person who name is on the cover "by Catherine Mace", she set up the contract. I got paid $100.00 for each item that was published, I had 4, and I received 12 copies of the book. But in return I made them sign a contract stating that the patterns are my copyright and I am able to sell them individually or in another pattern pack if I want. But I also know that Catherine paid other designers in that same book only $50.00 per item and they only received 5 copies of the book

Now with my item that was published in Scrap & Stamp, or maybe it is Stamp & Scrap, lol, all I got was a fee copy of the magazine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I was published in CARDS once...I received one copy of the magazine I was featured in and some misc goodies including a stamp pad and a set of Paper Salon stamps...that has been a while ago, don't know what they do now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I know with Card Trends mag you get two free copies of the mag (at $19.95 a copy...I'm happy about that!) AND they send you $20 or $25 (I can't remember) worth of free stamp/scrap supplies.

Also, some companies do give you a bonus or store credit if you get pubbed with their stamps. Unity gives you $25 store credit!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I got published several times in the now defunck Rubber Stamper Magazine and each time, I received a free copy of the issue my project was shown in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 07:16 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantala40View Post
I am having my first publication this Fall in CARDS magazine. I know they are giving me 1 or 2 free copies which makes me psyched

other than that, perhaps hoping that some of the companies I used will give me a break on their product? Hey, a girl can dream, right? ;)

I think for the most part, people hoping to get on Design Teams, or people who are already on one try and get published for the sake of giving that company more exposure, etc.
Congrats!! Getting published is so EXCITING. I also know that CARDS gives magazine copies along with some stamping goodies. You never know what you will get but usually it consists of paper, stickers, and other embellies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I get published in papercrafts magazines (they're the only ones i submit for because they give cold, hard cash) and the last contract i got was for $50. They also sent 2 copies of the magazine when they mail back your project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I have items being published through Papercrafts, CardMaker and Crafts N Things, they each send a copy of the magazine to you and I get $50 per item at least, more if it makes the cover.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Oh and then compensation from the companies whose stamps/products I used!!!! Can't forget that important part!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

so how do you get sompensated from the manufacturer? i assume you need to submit something but is it after you find out your item was picked up and is it generally just a form you fill out?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniethepoodleView Post
so how do you get sompensated from the manufacturer? i assume you need to submit something but is it after you find out your item was picked up and is it generally just a form you fill out?
This is often referred to as an "endorsement fee," and it varies by company. I used Google to find this blog, which I don't know much about, but it lists some endorsement policies. You'll get a better idea of how it all works by reading some of the manufacturers' sites that are linked there.

http://designerresources.wordpress.com/endorsements/

For whatever products you use in your published items, you would need to verify the endorsement policies by checking the manufacturers' websites or contacting them directly. Some companies want to encourage the use of their products in publications, and they are usually happy to answer inquiries.

Last edited by Crafts; 08-05-2008 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniethepoodleView Post
Every manufacturer is different; some offer no endorsement fees whatsoever, or have very specific requirements that must be met before they'll grant an endorsement fee.

Even if you're on the DT of a mfg. that does compensate for publication, you may be required to submit visual evidence (verification) that the piece actually appeared in print; this may not occur until 6 months later because of the advance scheduling editorial calendars of various publications.

Sometimes a magazine will indeed pick a piece up, but, then, may drop it, if, in the end, it didn't meet their editorial needs after all. Some compensating publications will issue the artist a "drop fee", in those instances, as opposed to full publication fees, and reserve the right to retain the piece for future use. Others will release you of exclusivity, and you are free to submit it elsewhere.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a mfg. may then be unwilling to compensate for the piece, since it never made it to print, UKWIM? Hence, why some prefer to see evidence of it appearing in publication.

Every manufacturer has different procedures for submitting for endorsement fees; check with them to find out the how-to's.
Reply With Quote Likes