Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about becoming a SU demo

I am thinking about becoming a demo. I am really just starting out with stamping but thought being a demo might be a fun way to express my creativity & make some new friends. I am not looking for a full income. I estimate that I will spend $50-100 a month with SU. Is it realistic to think that I could get enough business besides my own to hit minimums? Also, what should I look for in an upline? Finally, how do you start to drum up business?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Not to hijack your thread, but I was a hobby demo for some time, and I have thought about going back to it, but I hate it when it comes to tax time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow...I never even thought about taxes :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Annadcat, you'll love SU!, you'll never run out of ideas - SU! provide demonstrators with so many great new projects to make, new techniques and fabulous ideas. The friendships are fantastic and the products sell themselves. Most importantly, the company is run ethically and they really do care about customers and their demonstrators.

I'm in Australia and I signed up directly to SU! as I signed on the first day, but I'd love to pass on some advice to you on finding a great upline in the US. I personally don't think it particularly matters if your upline is close by or on the other side of the US from you, but it is important for them to be dedicated to their business. You may be wanting to join SU! just so you can get a discount, but you never know - one day want to grow a business so it's best to leave your options open and find someone that is in it for the long-run and is really working their business. Find out what they can do for you and speak with them on the phone see if you get a comfortable feeling with them.

Feel free to PM me if you want more advice. As I said, I'm in Australia so I don't have any benefit here other than to help you out.

Cheers,
Angela
www.angelasargeant.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I guess I am pretty much a "hobby" demo. I don't have a lot of spare time to hold workshops, etc. I usually have 1 or 2 workshops a year and they have always been $400+. I do a Christmas card stack in the fall, a couple of scrapbooking days and an event during sale-a-bration. I can usually get about $150-$200 from those events.

I have friends that said they would help with minimums and to me $20 orders doesn't cut it. I have always had something to order and haven't had a problem meeting my minimums but I understand that there are quarters that I kick in the entire amount.

As for taxes, if you are strictly a hobby demo and not running as a business (the IRS has a 7 step test to determine, i.e., have business cards, in the business to make a profit, commit a number of hours towards the business, etc.) then any income from outside sales is just hobby income. Hobby income goes on the front page of the 1040 and any expenses against that go on Schedule A. I report all my SU income as hobby and add it to our income. It's not enough to impact our bottom line. Your 20% income from your own orders are not income and do not need to be reported.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I signed up with SU! about 1 1/2 years ago. I had been to classes and workshops, but I had never really done it myself. I was at the point where my oldest was starting preschool and my youngest was 1. I thought that it might be something I'd enjoy.

I was quickly hooked! I have 3 different groups of customers. Ones that meet every month, a group that meets every 2 and a group that gets together when they have time. It's great fun!

I started out slowly with one group that helped me meet my minimums (which is $300 every 3 months). I don't think I've had a month under $300, so I've had no problem there.

My dh files our taxes and he's been able to do it quite easily.

As for picking an upline. Find someone who is active, has time to answer your questions and loves what she does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I have been a SU! demo for 7 years. I love their product that's the bottom line. I pay for my habit with what i do- and i do enjoy it. I have one club of friends. All but my mom- the 8 customers who order from me on a reg basis are not even the original ladies i thought would order. So one suggestion: get a club going- then your mins are made.

Also, my upline has only collected my check- well other than some underhanded dealings too but- go with someone you like- and state upfront what you expect-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by annadcatView Post
I am thinking about becoming a demo. I am really just starting out with stamping but thought being a demo might be a fun way to express my creativity & make some new friends. I am not looking for a full income. I estimate that I will spend $50-100 a month with SU. Is it realistic to think that I could get enough business besides my own to hit minimums? Also, what should I look for in an upline? Finally, how do you start to drum up business?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
As long as you are willing to do a little work, it's completely realistic to have your customers meet your minimums for you and more. The quarterly minimum of $300 is an equivalent of the sales at jusst 1 average workshop, so as long as you are willing to find a hostss and do a workshop once per quarter, your minimums should be met. The only thing to remember is that customrs wil nto come beating down your door as soon as you sign up -- you do have tot take the initiative and let people know that you're a demo (in person is better than e-mail or phone) and ask them to host a workshop, you should be fine.

As for what you shoud look for in an upline, kudos to you for even thinking to ask that querstion. You're clearly already ahead of the game. I'd echo everything Jenn said. In addition if you are thinking of doing this as a business you will want someone who can offer business support. You might also ask what kind of support would be available to you if your upline becomes unavailable for some reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

If you spend $100 a month, that will cover your minimum. However, making enough money to buy what you want for free is quite doable. You have to be consistent in what time you spend on the "business" side. If you can get a club going (that's a group of ladies who commit to a certain amount of money each month and take turns being hostesses), you will have no problem meeting the minimum. Plus you have some stamping buddies and even make a little $$.

As for your upline. I would make a list of what qualities you want in an UL. Decide if it's important that she is close in location first of all. If that's the case, go to www.stampinup.com and use the demo locator. If location isn't important, browse the posts here on SCS and look at some of the websites of demos. When you narrowed it down, email the potential UL and interview them.

Good luck to you--when you decide to join, I really doubt you regret it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

In addition to the excellent advice shared thus far, you may not be aware that Stampin' Up! has gobs of resources to get you started and to help you. There are templates and wizards and all sorts of resources. Plus, the support of your fellow demos.

As to what to look for in an upline? It totally depends on what you want. Some gals want a local gal to do things with and see face to face. Other gals have uplines for moral support but are very independent and may live very far from their upline. Only you can decide what you want then "interview" demos if you don't have one to see who fits you best.

Good luck!!!!

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been a hobby demo for almost a year and a half and I love it. My upline lives about 10 minutes from me and I think that's a big plus. I'm able to borrow things from her if I don't have them and she helped me at my first workshop a couple months ago. Also the demonstrator support at Stampin' Up is great, they're very nice and helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I've been wondering about all of this as well, so I'm glad the question was brought up. I'm very confused by some of the terms being mentioned. What is a "hobby" demo?? Is there a difference? I've only gone to a few stamp camps over the years ( I didn't go back because the girl was not very organized, and her sample didn't match what we were making ) and I never heard her mention her stamp camp member agreeing to a certain amount to spend each month. She just took orders if someone wanted to order. Is there a rule about having people agree to spend so much in a certain period of time, or is it up to the demo if they want to enforce that?

Nicole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BingalingView Post
I've been wondering about all of this as well, so I'm glad the question was brought up. I'm very confused by some of the terms being mentioned. What is a "hobby" demo?? Is there a difference? I've only gone to a few stamp camps over the years ( I didn't go back because the girl was not very organized, and her sample didn't match what we were making ) and I never heard her mention her stamp camp member agreeing to a certain amount to spend each month. She just took orders if someone wanted to order. Is there a rule about having people agree to spend so much in a certain period of time, or is it up to the demo if they want to enforce that?

Nicole
that sounds like a club that certain demos do. it's not a rule that SU! has.. i know that some demos have 'hostess clubs' and they choose a hostess each month to get the hostess benefits, and each club member commits to spending so much money per month.

and a hobby demo is someone who generally just joined SU! for the discount, not as a business. maybe they do 1 workshop a quarter to help make the quarterly minimum.
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I don't want to highjack, here but, I would like some info on how you ladies got your clubs started up. I would really like to re-sign, but would love to host some clubs this time, how do I get people interested???
C

My Creative Side

Some days just look better upside down" Eeyore
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Taxes are not hard, just filling out schedule C on your taxes and if you aren't in it for a business and make less than 600.00 there is a spot right on your schedule A form to report extra income.
Reply With Quote Likes