Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #441  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subbing! great tips...Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #442  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelightningchicView Post
Another use for the leftover rubber is just to leave them in the triangles or odd shapes and use them for random stamping to create unusual background papers. Use different color on each shape and randomly stamp. You have to stick them on a small block of wood such as a craftin block or old wooden thread spool.
The cut out shapes also make great bases for shaker cards...just take off the rubber so you are left with double stick foam, and voila! No leaks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #443  
Rubber Obsessor

I only made it through 8 pages of this thread so far so sorry if this is a repeat question- is pigment ink bad? I am new to stampin and found a lot of colors of pigment ink on sale at JA but read on some post that I shouldn't use them?

Also, do you have to use special markers to color the stamp or will any craft marker work? (I just bought the Martha Stewart set of craft markers and they didn't seem to work)

Thanks so much for this thread!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #444  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsforacauseView Post
I only made it through 8 pages of this thread so far so sorry if this is a repeat question- is pigment ink bad? I am new to stampin and found a lot of colors of pigment ink on sale at JA but read on some post that I shouldn't use them?

Also, do you have to use special markers to color the stamp or will any craft marker work? (I just bought the Martha Stewart set of craft markers and they didn't seem to work)

I use water color markers for stamping and they work great. I dont know anything about pigment inks good or bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #445  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsforacauseView Post

Pigment ink is fine, you just have to know how to use it. Probably the main use is for embossing. Pigment inks come in many colors so when you stamp the image, it can be embossed with clear embossing powder and the color of the image will show through.

You can also use Pigment inks for the Direct to Paper technique, a way of creating backgrounds using the ink that you put on your card stock and blend. It is possible to make a kind "marbelized look". Check the Resources section for tutorials on Direct to Paper.

Check the box of your Martha Stewart Markers. They may not be working well because they may not working because they are not intended for what you are trying to do with them. You might have bought PIGMENT INK markers.

If you want to color directly on the stamp, WATER based markers are what you need. Examples of water based markers are: SU!, Tombow and Marvy amongst others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #446  
Pearl-ExPert

When I was travelling and had no ink for my stamps, I used my kids Crayola markers and they work fine, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #447  
Matboard Maniac

I don't know if this idea has come up before but her it is anyway.When i go shopping for stamping stuff i always try to stick to a colour scheme and buy papers ribbons embellies etc to match. I used to come home with a right mish mash and soon learned that it's much easier to come home and play with a matching "set".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #448  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,535 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane speedView Post
I don't know if this idea has come up before but her it is anyway.When i go shopping for stamping stuff i always try to stick to a colour scheme and buy papers ribbons embellies etc to match. I used to come home with a right mish mash and soon learned that it's much easier to come home and play with a matching "set".
Excellent tip!!
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #449  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane speedView Post
Excellent idea! I always seem to be searching for just the right match! Also, sometimes I buy embellishments just because I like them and then have absolutely no projects to use them. Keep the tips coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #450  
Rubber Obsessor

WOW! fantastic tips. Keep 'em coming! Thanks to a really great bunch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #451  
Glitter Queen

I frequently see mentioned the use of baby oil with watercolor pencils. I am not familiar with this. Any help in the how to would be really appreciated. Thanks muchly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #452  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmermaidmomView Post
I frequently see mentioned the use of baby oil with watercolor pencils. I am not familiar with this. Any help in the how to would be really appreciated. Thanks muchly!
I'm not sure that baby oil works with watercolor pencils...that whole oil and water thing...but baby oil does work with prismacolor pencils. Use a qtip or stump, dip it in the oil and use it to blend out the color from the pencil. For watercolor pencils, use water to blend the color instead of oil...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 01:52 AM   #453  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Yep, baby oil does work with watercolor pencils. I've used it before. It is the same thing as used here:

Gamsol Magic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:22 AM   #454  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post
Yep, baby oil does work with watercolor pencils. I've used it before. It is the same thing as used here:

Gamsol Magic
Good to know! thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #455  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Oops, sorry but not true!

When you read the tutorial you will see that it says "wax" pencils - those are not the same as "watercolor" pencils. The OMS/Gamsol melts the wax and because the watercolor pencils are not wax the effect is not the same. Prismacolor sells watercolor and wax pencils. You want the Premier for gamsol and general colored pencil coloring.

I've tried OMS with watercolor pencils and it will smudge a bit, but it is not the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #456  
Die Cut Diva

Here's something I ran across by accident - and I hope I can explain this well.

Take a sheet (just 1) of labels and remove them OR once the labels are used DO NOT toss the sheet. Remove the excess paper with sticky back from around the paper. Now, if you need to do some pasting (I used a tape runner) use this sheet as a mat because the sticky tape will NOT stick to it. Keeps your mat and/or desk / table area from getting bits of sticky on it!

Hope this helps and hope I made myself understood on this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #457  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the advice. I love my watercolors but think I will invest in some of the prismcolors to give the oil a try with them. This is the best site for learning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #458  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterbabeView Post
Here's something I ran across by accident - and I hope I can explain this well.

Take a sheet (just 1) of labels and remove them OR once the labels are used DO NOT toss the sheet. Remove the excess paper with sticky back from around the paper. Now, if you need to do some pasting (I used a tape runner) use this sheet as a mat because the sticky tape will NOT stick to it. Keeps your mat and/or desk / table area from getting bits of sticky on it!

Hope this helps and hope I made myself understood on this!
Thanks that is a great tip. I am going to have to try that now. I have a papertowel usually underneath and that gets sticky sometimes and then if my card is on it it gets sticky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #459  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowkat1283View Post
This is probably just common sense but I sent a card through the mail and it had embellishments on it. I forgot to have them "hand cancel" it and when it got to the recipent the envelope was torn and the paper flowers and jeweled brads had come off. I was really embarassed but I learned not to be in such a hurry to get the card into the mail.

Kathy
When I send cards with "bumpy" embellishments, I turn the card inside out and put it in the envelope. This helps to cushion the embellishments. I also will sometimes fold a paper towel to the size of the card and put that over the front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #460  
Glitter Queen

I was up to page 6 but I have so much to today, lol. Quick question, what does "NVR" stand for? I tried looking for an abbreviations list, hoping it was a sticky thread somewhere, so far I haven't found it.

So, I'm a completely unorganized hot mess when it comes to my stamping/scrapping/general crafting supplies. I'm split between two areas at the moment and I'm really limited on storage space. I've found that Sterlite has the best storage totes. I can fit 3 across on a shelf and 2 high if I stack a shorter one on top of a tall one. The totes are clear which makes it easy to grab what I need. Unfortunately, I have no clue what each individual thing is IN the totes. I have yet to figure out a way to show what is in each tote so I don't have to dig (not that it's hard, the totes are small, lol).

I'm a clearance aisle junkie and if I have a coupon, watch out, lol. I don't buy too much in the way of punches and tools now since I have plenty. Usually I'm only buying something that's on clearance and I know I'm going to use it.

My $1 bin stamps fit perfect in binders with baseball card sleeves so I can just flip through there and find what I need. Sadly, all of my SU sets are in totes, I have to sort through to find anything, wasting time. If anyone has an idea on how to remedy that, I'm all ears!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #461  
Stampin' Fool

NVR stands for "No Vendor Requirement", which is used a lot in the swaps. It means the stamp can be from any company (vendor). Some swaps only want a specific company's stamp to be used, like Stampin Up! or Magnolia, etc.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #462  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
NVR stands for "No Vendor Requirement", which is used a lot in the swaps. It means the stamp can be from any company (vendor). Some swaps only want a specific company's stamp to be used, like Stampin Up! or Magnolia, etc.

HTH
Oh that DOES help, lol! I have tons of stamp sets but I've also started buying "stand ins" if I don't love every stamp in a set. I've found some really neat things but they're nameless and generic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #463  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestampinpageView Post
I was up to page 6 but I have so much to today, lol. Quick question, what does "NVR" stand for? I tried looking for an abbreviations list, hoping it was a sticky thread somewhere, so far I haven't found it.

So, I'm a completely unorganized hot mess when it comes to my stamping/scrapping/general crafting supplies. I'm split between two areas at the moment and I'm really limited on storage space. I've found that Sterlite has the best storage totes. I can fit 3 across on a shelf and 2 high if I stack a shorter one on top of a tall one. The totes are clear which makes it easy to grab what I need. Unfortunately, I have no clue what each individual thing is IN the totes. I have yet to figure out a way to show what is in each tote so I don't have to dig (not that it's hard, the totes are small, lol).

I'm a clearance aisle junkie and if I have a coupon, watch out, lol. I don't buy too much in the way of punches and tools now since I have plenty. Usually I'm only buying something that's on clearance and I know I'm going to use it.

My $1 bin stamps fit perfect in binders with baseball card sleeves so I can just flip through there and find what I need. Sadly, all of my SU sets are in totes, I have to sort through to find anything, wasting time. If anyone has an idea on how to remedy that, I'm all ears!
How about if you take pictures of what's in them and attach to the outside of bin. Then you could just look thru the pics for your item. You could get a few things in each pic so you don't have too many pics dangling on your totes. (Gotta hate it when ya have too many things dangling on your tote!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #464  
Die Cut Diva

Oh almost forgot, I don't know how to do a link but you can go to "Stamping Stuff">"Start Here">ist thread is about acronyms like NVR........Sorry about link thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #465  
Hardware Hotshot

Default SU Stamp storage

I learned a great tip on one of the forums (might have been this one) about how to keep track of what stamps you have. Make a list (alphabetical works best) of all the stamps you own and keep track of which tote they are in by numbering the totes and make a note of that number in your list. No more searching through totes to find which one has the stamp you are looking for! If you get to a point where you put your SU stamps on shelves, just put them in alphabetical order and they are easy to find! If you are really ambitious, you can make photocopies of each stamp set, place them in a binder (in alphabetical order) and flip through them to remind you of what you have. You can put which box number they are in too! Hope this helps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestampinpageView Post

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #466  
Rubber Obsessor

Default stamp storage

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardoddView Post
I learned a great tip on one of the forums (might have been this one) about how to keep track of what stamps you have. Make a list (alphabetical works best) of all the stamps you own and keep track of which tote they are in by numbering the totes and make a note of that number in your list. No more searching through totes to find which one has the stamp you are looking for! If you get to a point where you put your SU stamps on shelves, just put them in alphabetical order and they are easy to find! If you are really ambitious, you can make photocopies of each stamp set, place them in a binder (in alphabetical order) and flip through them to remind you of what you have. You can put which box number they are in too! Hope this helps!
Great Ideas. Thanks for sharing. I now have a formidable task to organize my stamps but, I do so now with a plan.

Desiderata
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #467  
Polyshrink Goddess

Keep your sewing machine bobbin with clear thread. This way you don't have to change it too when you want to change thread colors. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #468  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilvermelView Post
The cut out shapes also make great bases for shaker cards...just take off the rubber so you are left with double stick foam, and voila! No leaks!
OMGosh, all the baggies of trimmed rubber I have saved and I never thought of this!! Great tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 AM   #469  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1GirlTwinBoysView Post
Keep your sewing machine bobbin with clear thread. This way you don't have to change it too when you want to change thread colors. :p
I've never heard of clear thread. Where do you get it from?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #470  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I've never heard of clear thread. Where do you get it from?
Any place like Hobby Lobby or Joanns would have it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #471  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirolivesView Post
Very good advice and here's something else I do when visiting that gallery of the potential new stamp set:

I sort the gallery by # of comments and look at the ones that have the most comments. Then I decide if those that came out on top are 'my style' and if so, I buy it.

Hth and this is a wonderful thread!
I tried to do this but it doesn't work for me-only brings up the regular order of sets. Not sure if it's not working correctly:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #472  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Best rule of thumb for Margins

Ok, I have looked at a couple of thousand cards here, and I have a question. I am sort of a newbie. Have not done paper crafts or scrapbooking in about 10 years. Still had a lot supplies leftover so it was not too much of a shock to get started again. Back 10 years ago we did not have a wonderful site like SCS to get inspired by these beautiful creations. I am truly fired up now.

But, I do have a question. Everyone can give they input.

Ok, so say I have a card 4.25 x 5.5 standard. On which I am going to put two full layers. So I see in some examples the first frame/margin is about 1/8" in all around and the next looks smaller, maybe 1/16"???? Then there might be a medallion in the center do you do the same margins as before or larger or smaller>?????

Is there a standard? I have been taking some classes (2 so far) from a SU demo, and I am lovin' it. The demo has all the pieces trimmed and cut before we arrive so I am not sure of the measurements. we have made several projects, but there does not seem to be a general rule.

Let me know your thoughts.
Card I made lastnight>
Summer- Cheer Me up by Geek Goddess at Splitcoaststampers

Susan the Geek Goddess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #473  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

As in any art form - there's no right or wrong way to do things - it's your creativity - just go with what looks good to you. Mine vary with each card - no real "standard" - whatever works for that particular card..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #474  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardoddView Post
I am thinking of writing a program/software that you can keep up with your stamps, plus each of your projects with pictures.

You will have a database that you can maintain for finished projects, which would include a photo, and all the stuff needed to make the project. With a cross reference file that would have your stamp info, and where it is stored.

So with that thought in mind, if any of you have any suggestions for the info that would need to be included in data files?

Great ideas in this thread.
STGG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #475  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek GoddessView Post
Ok, I have looked at a couple of thousand cards here, and I have a question. I am sort of a newbie. Have not done paper crafts or scrapbooking in about 10 years. Still had a lot supplies leftover so it was not too much of a shock to get started again. Back 10 years ago we did not have a wonderful site like SCS to get inspired by these beautiful creations. I am truly fired up now.

Ok, so say I have a card 4.25 x 5.5 standard. On which I am going to put two full layers. So I see in some examples the first frame/margin is about 1/8" in all around and the next looks smaller, maybe 1/16"???? Then there might be a medallion in the center do you do the same margins as before or larger or smaller>?????

Is there a standard? I have been taking some classes (2 so far) from a SU demo, and I am lovin' it. The demo has all the pieces trimmed and cut before we arrive so I am not sure of the measurements. we have made several projects, but there does not seem to be a general rule.

Card I made lastnight>

Susan the Geek Goddess

I think the border size is all a matter of tase and what works with a perticular layout. Sometimes I like just enough of a contrasting color to 'break up' the color scheme and sometimes I like a big border to show off a dp. I peeked at your card and I think you have the hang of it!

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #476  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek GoddessView Post

Card I made lastnight>

Susan the Geek Goddess
No true "standard" as others have said. However, I usually cut layers for a 4.25x5.5 card:
4x5.25, 3.75x5, 3.5x4.75, etc., going down .25" each time. Decreasing each layer by 1/8" each time also works well.

I think if you ask your demo she will be glad to talk with you about this. I had such a conversation very recently with a new customer, myself.

HTH

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #477  
Inking Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up USPS

I'm putting in a good word for our USPS - one of the best in the world, if not the best. I recently learned that even if your local PO 'hand cancels' your envelope, if it's traveling some distance away, your card/envelope is more than likely going through a machine somewhere along its path. It's all part of the mechanized sorting system.

Bumpy embellishments of any type of material do need to be protected. A layer of cardboard and/or bubble wrap is often a good idea- this possibly means a larger envelope and some extra postage, but at 43 cents for the first ounce of first class mail, it is one of the best bargains in communication. And, it's certaily worth the cost to protect your gorgeous art work so the recipient is truly dazzled.

Disclaimer: I am not connected to the USPS or to the US gov't in any way. I've lived in countries where one had to bribe the PO workers in hopes they would actually mail what you have paid a high price for.

Many thanks for all of the fantastic suggestions you all are giving to the rest of us! I do agree with the person who said she spends hours here at SCS, going from one interesting thing to another, and runs out of time to actually stamp! Or, in my case, to try to get organized so I can stamp!

Carolyn

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #478  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default divided basket

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcw519View Post
I'm putting in a good word for our USPS - one of the best in the world, if not the best. I recently learned that even if your local PO 'hand cancels' your envelope, if it's traveling some distance away, your card/envelope is more than likely going through a machine somewhere along its path. It's all part of the mechanized sorting system.

Bumpy embellishments of any type of material do need to be protected. A layer of cardboard and/or bubble wrap is often a good idea- this possibly means a larger envelope and some extra postage, but at 43 cents for the first ounce of first class mail, it is one of the best bargains in communication. And, it's certaily worth the cost to protect your gorgeous art work so the recipient is truly dazzled.

Disclaimer: I am not connected to the USPS or to the US gov't in any way. I've lived in countries where one had to bribe the PO workers in hopes they would actually mail what you have paid a high price for.

Many thanks for all of the fantastic suggestions you all are giving to the rest of us! I do agree with the person who said she spends hours here at SCS, going from one interesting thing to another, and runs out of time to actually stamp! Or, in my case, to try to get organized so I can stamp!

Carolyn
ITA about postage costs. And also about getting organized so I can stamp!

My tip. I use a tall divided basket, like the ones you put utensils in for a picnic or buffet, to store colored pencils, paint brushes etc.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #479  
Matboard Maniac

Smile I just discovered STAMP TV....

this Spring. This is a great site for people who want to know how to use tools that are out there.

Gina K. is a natural at teaching this on her tutorial. I have learned so much from her!

www.stamptv.com

Hope this helps! Great thread to BTW.

Teresa L.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2009, 06:39 AM   #480  
Stampin' Fool

Yes, stamptv is great! And don't forget about youtube! I have seen tons of great videos there. Just use the SEARCH for whatever you want, copics, colored pencils, cuttlebug, etc. There are so many topics!
Reply With Quote Likes