Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #401  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Alyce, for doing this for us. It is much appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #402  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelightningchicView Post
Great Idea. I was just working on a project where the ribbon runs under the layer of second cardstock and I came up short. I just used that idea and cut enough to do the edges and wind under an inch. I was able to finish the cards and they turned out beautiful.
OMG, totally smart idea........I've had this issue before and cut a new piece.

I've been stamping (on and off) for about 15 yrs and am always learning something from this site. I think so often I am trying to be so creative with my card that I think no further. And I'm not always too creative so.

Love the idea of punching/cutting out paper from matting, another great idea!

Can't believe I've never read this thread before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #403  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by waglegView Post
My biggest tip. Check the gallery for samples before purchasing a stamp set.
I found I purchased a lot of stamp sets that weren't necessarily my style just because they looked great in the catalog.
I learned to do that too after several purchases of CUTE stamps I just couldn't create with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #404  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by resqbarbieView Post
I agree with Toy...I have just wandered around this site picking up bits and pieces for a year or so...:rolleyes: SO nice to have a thread like this!

OK, here's a tip from me:

instead of tying a big piece of ribbon around a piece of cardstock, I tie a nice knot with the 2 ends to form a loop, then I snip it in the middle and fold the open ends around the cardstock and tape them down. Saves ribbon and my knots seem to come out neater.

for example...this knot of ribbon ...it doesn't go all the way around the cardstock....KWIM (know what I mean)???;)

THANKS DENISE!! I have always wanted to do that with my cards but hated the idea of using so much ribbon! Also thanks for telling me what KWIM means, have wonder about that for over a month now!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #405  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I agree with Toy...I have just wandered around this site picking up bits and pieces for a year or so...:rolleyes: SO nice to have a thread like this!

instead of tying a big piece of ribbon around a piece of cardstock, I tie a nice knot with the 2 ends to form a loop, then I snip it in the middle and fold the open ends around the cardstock and tape them down. Saves ribbon and my knots seem to come out neater.

for example...this knot of ribbon ...it doesn't go all the way around the cardstock....KWIM (know what I mean)???;)
How do you judge how much ribbon you will need for a certain card using this method? So as not to waste when you cut off a chunk off the roll to use. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #406  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I do - I use my button shank remover and snip off the "legs" of the brads and use Tombow Metal Glue to hold them down. I put enough glue to make a small bead so it will fill the cavity of the brad head, wait about 10 second so the glue is starting set and then glue the brad down. The only reason I wait for the glue to set a little is so it doesn't slide when I put on the brad.
Please tell me what a button shank remover is. Is it a tool? Where could I see a pic of it? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #407  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

A button shank remover is a tool thatcuts the backs off buttons, brads, etc. It's a very handy tool to have.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd17142
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #408  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

A button shank remover is a tool thatcuts the backs off buttons, brads, etc. It's a very handy tool to have.

Do you find this handy gaget in the notion section?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #409  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Button Shank removal tools

I use this simple tool, conveniently located in my DH's tool box. It can be gotten in any tool section of a home improvement store or maybe even WM.
Attached Thumbnails
Things Newbies may need to know-tool-1.jpg   Things Newbies may need to know-tool-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #410  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Thank you so much for the link! Now I know what it at least looks like.

Unfortuntely for me, JoAnn's won't ship to Canada so if anyone out there knows where I could purchase one in Canada, I'd really appreciate it. Meanwhile, if I can't find one hopefully I can get to JoAnns when we visit the USA this Fall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #411  
Gabfest Goddess

Has anyone talked about color? If so let me know, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to color combining. I have been stamping for some time but still do not have the confidence I need to combine my paper and ink colors. Most difficult thing is what goes with what? Is it a color wheel I need. I would like to choose colors and not have to look at others ideas to come up with something I like..thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #412  
Stazon Splitcoast

You can also find them in the (jewelry) beading supply area of craft stores, they're called wire nippers. That's where I got mine at. Same deal as the hardware store, but smaller.
Don't poke the bear
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #413  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesgramView Post
Has anyone talked about color? If so let me know, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to color combining. I have been stamping for some time but still do not have the confidence I need to combine my paper and ink colors. Most difficult thing is what goes with what? Is it a color wheel I need. I would like to choose colors and not have to look at others ideas to come up with something I like..thanks.
The Stampin' Up color coach color wheel was one of my first purchases. I used it for every card I made until I gained the confidence to experiment with color. Now I see inspiration all around me and everything I see is a Stampin' Up color! LOL! The SCS color challenges are also very inspiring. But in the end I think it just comes down to what colors you feel comfortable with or are drawn to. Why use colors that make you cringe just because it's fashionable?
Don't poke the bear
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #414  
Gabfest Goddess

I like your suggestions and I think I need to invest in a color wheel...I look at others artwork and I think, "WOW the colors work so well together", yet i do not feel the same about my own. I have to build my own confidence but also feel I could use some help...thanks for the suggestions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #415  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
I keep one of those photo storage boxes full with quarter-sheets of SU cardstock, ready to use to make cards. I have "Whites", "Vanillas", "Specialty", "Bold Brights", etc. Within those color families, it's easy for me to tell which blue is which, etc. I have a Carl Cutter and I try to keep at least 6-8 quarter sheets of each color in the box all the time. I keep half sheets of cardstock in file folders in my file cabinet - I group them the same way by color family. When I find I'm out of one color in either my photo box or file folder, I'll cut about 4 sheets - some into half sheets and some into quarter sheets. That way it's easy for me to pull out a half sheet of any SU color and then I have the quarter sheets right on my stamping table ready to use for layers, etc. I figured this out for myself and it's worked well for me for almost 4 years now!

And buy QUALITY cardstock - I think SU is the best, but then of course I'm a demo!!

Welcome, newbies, to the best stamping website on the internet!! And don't be afraid to ask questions!

That's a good idea, I might try this out. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #416  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
A hint for using this site, which I use a lot. When you find a thread you like and want to keep an eye on it, but don't want to keep bumping it, look at the top of the page ... it says 'thread tools'. Click on this and you will see 'subscribe to this thread' Click on this... it will take you to one more screen for a final click....now, go to your mail box page (on top right of screen) and click....you will see a bunch of things on the left screen. This is where you will find all your 'subscriptions'. You can click on this and you will find every thread you subscribed to in the manner above AND every thread you also particpated in.

Clear as mud? :rolleyes: I use this a lot ....for example, when I cannot go through the faves on the Sunday thread, I subscribe to the thread. That way I don't lose it and I can find it anytime I want to look through the faves for that week.
I never knew this, thanks so much!! I spend so much time sometimes looking for ones I've read,etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #417  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetteringMamaView Post
Thank you so much for the link! Now I know what it at least looks like.

Unfortuntely for me, JoAnn's won't ship to Canada so if anyone out there knows where I could purchase one in Canada, I'd really appreciate it. Meanwhile, if I can't find one hopefully I can get to JoAnns when we visit the USA this Fall.
You can also use a large nail clipper to remove button shanks.
Michele
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #418  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesgramView Post
Also, here is a (FREE!) web site that shows SU color combinations that people have uploaded. It helps to be able to see them all next to each other before you cut into your cardstock. Just read the instructions on the site so you understand what you're looking at. Also, it includes in-colors for several years back, I think.
http://www.scraptitude.com/colorcombo/

I had this same problem when I first started. Look at the SCS galleries for the sets you have and what colors people have used on them. The more you see of what they have done, I think the better idea you will have of what you like and dislike. Really, though, the best thing to do is just get in there and start doing it. I can honestly say I have not yet come up with a combo that I detested.

Good luck!

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #419  
Rubber Obsessor

I found the SCS charts a few months ago. I refer to them all the time!

Splitcoaststampers CC01-CC125.pdf

Splitcoaststampers CC126-.pdf

Oh, and they're many pages long. I was so wrapped up in looking that the colors, I didn't realize it, at first LOL! ....so look for the page arrows

~
~~~~
Lisa~~~~~

Last edited by classicsm; 01-19-2009 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #420  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default URL error

Hi, I enjoyed your color link. The second link of SplitcoastStampers CC126-.pdf is not a good link. I think the "-" should not be in it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #421  
Rubber Obsessor

Sorry about that Try the thread, Post #1:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

~
~~~~
Lisa~~~~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #422  
Hardware Hotshot

I have not posted a tip for awhile so here is one:
I was having a lot of fun doing scrap page swaps and realized how nice it was to have a whole book of premade pages. So I decided to start premaking theme books for future projects. First I decided on the theme (holidays, historical family etc) then start doing two page layouts. I pulled two base sheets of paper or cardstock in a color, pulled several complimentary colors in prints, ribbons and buttons etc for that layout, then set about creating the layouts based on the papers I had pulled out. Sometimes I look on the gallery for ideas or old pages I have done before. Sometimes I use cards for ideas or stamps. But I am getting quite a nice combination of pages collected. And the nice thing is with premade pages, it is easy to select the pictures to order based on what is needed on the pages. I still do design some directly around a picture, but I find this a great way to keep pages ready.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #423  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,565 Likes on 1,526 Posts
Smile

Good morning, Ellen -- thanks for the tip -- am so far behind on my grandchildren's scrapbooks....:o
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 04:35 AM   #424  
Die Cut Diva

Here's something -

If your adhesive is "a little more than you actually need" on your project (you know, sometimes it's a little wider or londer than you need it), put some BABY POWDER on it and it takes the stickyness away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #425  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterbabeView Post
Here's something -

If your adhesive is "a little more than you actually need" on your project (you know, sometimes it's a little wider or londer than you need it), put some BABY POWDER on it and it takes the stickyness away!
Great tip -- thanks
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #426  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Find nesties here

Quote:

Originally Posted by nana's cookiesView Post
I have one "old fashion" husband, does not really trust computers, so need to find a place I can order the old fashion way..... catalogs???? Any idea where that might be? Thanks for any and all help.
Hobby Lobby has some of the nesties. At times there are coupons that you can use for 40% off. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 04:21 AM   #427  
Hardware Hotshot

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Check out my new 12 X 12 scrappy page swap! Newbys are welcome!! Try your hand at swapping and get back a whole stack of pages in different themes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #428  
Hardware Hotshot

If you have seen the new SU catalog, you saw the cute little crocheted flowers they are selling. Well, I of course Googled and found a pattern to make similar ones. So if you crochet, just modify this pattern with a smaller thread and hook and you will create cute little flowers in a short time. 6 simple rounds. Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Crocheted Flower Pattern.doc (107.5 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #429  
Rubber Obsessor

okay, so this is probably a dumb question but....
what is a "nesties"? i keep hearing about them but have no earthly idea what they are.

Thanks for your insight ladies...I've really enjoyed reading this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #430  
Die Cut Diva

Nesties are die cuts from Spellbinders - Nestabilities. They range in size from small to large. They come in all shapes & sizes. Once you've tried them, you are hooked!!!! You can also emboss with them too so it covers a wide range of capabilities. You can check them out at (links below):

Cut@home
Oh My Crafts

and tons more!

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #431  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelightningchicView Post
If you have seen the new SU catalog, you saw the cute little crocheted flowers they are selling. Well, I of course Googled and found a pattern to make similar ones. So if you crochet, just modify this pattern with a smaller thread and hook and you will create cute little flowers in a short time. 6 simple rounds. Enjoy!
Thanks sooooo much for sharing this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #432  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

This is a great tip...thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #433  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Brads showing thru?

One of the tricks I use when my brads show thru to the other side is to cover the part that shows with a punched flower, ribbon or another "flat" embellishment that makes sense to the "theme' of your card.

Best of Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #434  
Die Cut Diva

With the new SU stamps being pre-cut, if you keep the remaining rubber you can cut it into pieces and use it as your pop-up dots!

Also on your nesties..... if you put a magnet strip in a CD case (I use the business card size magnet), you can store your nesties in the CD without worry of them falling down or moving around. They are all in one place. I put the magnet in the center of the case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #435  
Matboard Maniac

GREAT thread, thanks for starting it and thank you to all who contributed!!

My tip -- To store your wheel stamps. Buy Pringles Chips in the round container. Eat the chips, wash the container with soap and a little water. Let dry. Take a sheet of computer/copier paper and roll your stamps across the 8.5 side. Wrap this around the container, fasten with brads. Then drop your wheels in and put the lid on! Safely stored away yet visible!

Stamping my scrapbook pages away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #436  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by flstamper2View Post
GREAT thread, thanks for starting it and thank you to all who contributed!!

My tip -- To store your wheel stamps. Buy Pringles Chips in the round container. Eat the chips, wash the container with soap and a little water. Let dry. Take a sheet of computer/copier paper and roll your stamps across the 8.5 side. Wrap this around the container, fasten with brads. Then drop your wheels in and put the lid on! Safely stored away yet visible!
I especially like the part about eating the Pringles!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #437  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was constantly pulling out full sheets of SU CS to figure out color combos and ended up with a huge mess of sheets. So I made a little swatch book after seeing something similar. I used my scallop circle punch (just because it was pretty ) and punched out a circle in every color SU CS, including the In Colors. I then labled it with the color name & family, punched a smaller hole and threaded a leftover ball chain (like you find on a rabbit's foot?) through to keep them together.
The chain is long enough that I can move the swatches next to each other and it's small enough to take with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #438  
Die Cut Diva

I also found that if I cut out the section of the catalog with the cardstock colors (just the color column part), punch a hole in the top, put it on a chain I've got all the colors that way too. It runs pretty true to the colors. I cut the in-colors, and all the colors. Seems to work for me. If you don't want to cut up your catty, get hold of another one and use it to cut up whatever you need. Sometimes, I cut the picture of the stamp set so I can color it in and place it on the box my stamps are in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #439  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Melanie & Stef, great tips
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #440  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterbabeView Post
With the new SU stamps being pre-cut, if you keep the remaining rubber you can cut it into pieces and use it as your pop-up dots!

Also on your nesties..... if you put a magnet strip in a CD case (I use the business card size magnet), you can store your nesties in the CD without worry of them falling down or moving around. They are all in one place. I put the magnet in the center of the case.
Another use for the leftover rubber is just to leave them in the triangles or odd shapes and use them for random stamping to create unusual background papers. Use different color on each shape and randomly stamp. You have to stick them on a small block of wood such as a craftin block or old wooden thread spool.
Reply With Quote Likes