Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn
Default Are there any demos in Japan?

I am military and just got orders to Kadena AB in Japan...can you still be a demo if you live in Japan? I was planning on signing up in July! Thanks for any help, I can't find information on this anywhere...
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can be a demo on a military base overseas, you just have to get a form signed by your CO..... even if YOU aren't the military member! Your upline can get you one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 601 Likes on 245 Posts

There are several demos in Japan. Demos on bases have quite a few restrictions. Your demo can look up all the current info in the demo manual. Have her call demo support and explain the situation to make sure all questions are answered before she signs you up. I have a good friend at Kadena and here it's quite nice.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

Thanks for the information! If I just want to be a hobby demo and only order for myself, are there still lots of restrictions?
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Stampin' Up! does not distinguish between levels of sales and downlines (business vs. hobbyist) in any of their policies so I am assuming that you have to go through the same paperwork channels even if you only sell to yourself. You never know when someone may want to place an order or have you do a workshop so I think all the "stuff' has to be in order.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

From the Demonstrator Manual:

Quote:

International and Military Activities
We value the dedication and service of military members and can accommodate most circumstances. Demonstrators who are stationed at or attached to bases within the United States can maintain their demonstratorship with very little change. For demonstrators who are stationed at or attached to a US military base in a foreign country, we have designed the military and military special override only statuses. While on these statuses, we will continue to send you regular company mailings, including Stampin� Success, On Stage, and a complimentary copy of the Idea Book & Catalog. We will also waive your quarterly minimum requirement. Some
bases permit sales and recruiting activities, while others do not. It will be your responsibility to find out what your base regulations are and adhere to them.
To qualify for military status, you must:
� be attached to or stationed at a US military base in a foreign country as: a US military member OR a civilian employee/contractor of the US Department of Defense OR a legal dependent thereof;
� live on base or in housing near the base with an Army/Air Force Post Office [APO] or Fleet Post Office [FPO] address.
� annually submit a Military Acknowledgment Form signed by your unit or base commander OR a copy of base policy or letter from appropriate authority indicating whether or not you are permitted to sell and/or recruit on base.
All demonstrators who meet these qualifications will qualify for military status, regardless or whether or not they are permitted to sell and/or recruit on base. If a demonstrator relocates outside of the designated selling area and does
not meet these qualifications, her demonstratorship will be terminated.
Demonstrators who meet the following additional qualifications can apply for military special override only status:
� not permitted to sell on base
� $3,600 net personal sales during the previous 12 months
� at least one active downline member
Military Status
Military status demonstrators have the option of selling products and recruiting. It will be your responsibility to learn whether sales and recruiting activities are allowed on your base.
These are the conditions of military status:
� You may sell and/or recruit on base according to your base regulations.
� You may sell to friends, family, and established customers in the US by shipping orders directly to US addresses.
� You must meet your monthly minimums to qualify for any override commission.
� You will receive promotions, retitlements, and title reinstatements (see the �Promotions and Title Maintenance� section in this chapter) based on your sales and downline promotion activity.
� If you are permitted to sell on base, you will be eligible for Annual Achievement Awards. If you are not permitted to sell on base, you will be ineligible.
Military Special Override Only
If you meet the requirements for military special override only status, you can choose whether you would like to be on military status or military special override only status. Indicate your decision on the Military Acknowledgment Form when you submit it. If you choose to be on military special override
only status, the following conditions apply:
� You may not sell product to customers either inside or outside the US.
� You may place orders with Stampin� Up! for items for personal use, submitted on a Demonstrator Order. You may retain the 20 percent instant income from these orders but will receive no volume rebate.
� You will automatically receive a two percent override commission on your first-, second-, and third-level downline�s sales each month.
� Your title will not change while in this status.
� You are not eligible for Annual Achievement Awards, the incentive trip (cruise), nor the Great Rewards program. (Be sure to redeem any outstanding Great Rewards points before applying for military special override only status.)
If you change your mind and would like to be placed on military status, simply submit another Military Acknowledgment Form indicating your decision. You can change your status at any time.
Paperwork Required to Obtain and Maintain Military Status
Demonstrators on military and military special override only status must renew their status annually by submitting a Military Acknowledgment Form. It is not Stampin� Up!�s responsibility to remind you to do so. This form is available on
the Demonstrator Web Site under My Business>My Business Resources>Printing Place. Once this document is received and processed by Demonstrator Support, you will be placed on the military status appropriate to your situation.
If you are being relocated to a military installation abroad, you must submit a Military Acknowledgement Form within 30 days of the transfer date.
New recruits on military bases must submit a Military Acknowledgment Form with their Independent Demonstrator Application and the Starter Kit Order Form.
Upon returning to the United States, you will need to submit a Military Return Form (available on the Demonstrator Web Site under My Business>My Business Resources>Printing Place). Once this form is received, you will be placed on
active status. You will not be required to meet the quarterly minimum sales requirement until the first full quarter after Stampin� Up! receives the appropriate paperwork.
Selling to Customers Outside of the United States
Stampin� Up! catalog merchandise may be sold through Stampin� Up!, Inc., only within the 50 states of the United States, District of Columbia, and the United States territories (American Samoa, Federated States of Micronesia, Guam,
Mariana Islands, Palau, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands).
You may sell to customers living abroad only if they can provide an APO/FPO address. You may not sell or recruit off base in a foreign country, including selling to or recruiting US citizens living abroad who can not provide an APO/FPO address.
As a demonstrator for Stampin� Up!, Inc., you are not authorized to sell in Canada, Australia, or any other country, regardless of whether Stampin� Up! operates there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

It's a GREAT deal being a SU Demo over here... I'm stationed up north at Misawa... No Tax and No Minimums while you're overseas... I'm pretty much a hobby demo as well... SU ships everything USPS Priority Mail, so it's not too bad of a wait to get goody boxes (allow the full 7-10 days). Some folks have been hassled about the "MAF" but I didn't have any trouble at all...

Once the search engine is up, search for tips from other military demos on here.(try APO and/or military demo)... We've been sharing lots of tips and info among ourselves. I can't think of any specific wisdom right now, but if I think of something I'll post, in the meantime, if you have questions, post or PM...

I'm excited you're coming to Japan... It's a HUGE adventure moving around the world, but it's a great experience... Cheers...

~ Moose
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Just curious here...why would SU limit demo sales to the 50 states and territories? I'm assuming this means whether you're military or not. Why would they not want you selling to someone in another country?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to see why they're limiting sales. I've never even had any "foreign country sales" for TAC, so I'm just curious.

TIA :-)
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I think there are trade agreements of some kind... In regards to military, there are SOFAs (Status-Of-Forces-Agreement) for each country we're stationed in that outline the rules, to include what we can/cannot sell to the locals... I believe they try to be fair and limit the kinds of things due to availability from the local economy, meaning SU is ok in Japan, because there's little competition/availability.

Some companies have offices in Japan, some don't... Some allow sales in foreign countries, some don't. I think the main reason I can't sell to my Japanese friends has something to do with tax issues... I could be wrong though...

Interesting question though... I wish the search was working because I know there are some great threads addressing this... Oh well...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

AmberDawn, the #1 thing you need to check out once you get to Oki & get ready to sign up with a demo is check into getting a home business license for on base if it's still required. I had to get one when I was there, not sure if Kadena requires it but the USMC bases did, that way if by chance you do have parties or sell to others you won't get into trouble. All you have to do is go to housing or JAG & ask for a home business application. There were quite a few demos over there when I was there which was 2 years ago, so you should have some luck finding a demo. There aren't a lot of restrictions, just getting the command to sign that letter may be fun depending on how nice they want to be other then that as long as you sell to those who have a PSC box, get a license (if it's still necessary) & then just follow SU! rules you should be good to go.

Have fun while your there, was there for 6 years & still miss it although I am happy I don't have to deal with the typhoons anymore!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 03:42 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianerhView Post
Just curious here...why would SU limit demo sales to the 50 states and territories? I'm assuming this means whether you're military or not. Why would they not want you selling to someone in another country?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to see why they're limiting sales. I've never even had any "foreign country sales" for TAC, so I'm just curious.

TIA :-)
It has a lot to do with tarrifs and taxes and customs. It's complicated and different from country to country so SU just uses the same standard for all demos overseas on bases.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the answers, gals. I never thought about trade agreements, tariffs, customs, etc.
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been on Kadena for three years and I know that there are a lot of people that either order from Stampin' Up or are Demos. A good friend of mine actually just left here and she told me that there is not a minimum that has to be met by Demos over here. About having to have permission to be a Demo on Base, well, if you do it the right way, you still have to go to the Housing Office and fill out some paperwork and it takes only a few days to get it approved. I applied for a business licens for a business other than SU, but it was very easy. They give you paperwork with all that you can do and can't do.
I hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes