Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Taking pictures of cards for upload

Hi All,

I've been following things here for a while now and tried out a few of the challenges but I've never uploaded my cards. I felt adventurous this weekend, but could not get a clear, vibrant picture of my cards to post. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Susan:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

u beat me to this question. I am in the same boat as u. I have tried time after time witn no luck. I seem to get the best results when I turn off my flash but then the quality of the image is shottie. I have a good digital cam so I don't know what I am doing wrong..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Try natural light, no flash, and use the macro setting for closeups (that's usually a tulip icon).

Beate Johns explains a very simple photography setup on her blog, and she gets amazing results with it. That is as easy place to start. Blogs at Splitcoaststampers

The other tip is that you can correct a lot of errors with photo editing software. If you don't already have a program, Picasa is free and easy to use. http://picasa.google.com/

There are many professional quality photos in the SCS galleries, so I'm sure you'll get a lot of other advice, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I'll second that advice! I've found I get the best natural light next to a window midday whenever the sun isn't glaring through it. (You'll have to find out which windows work best for you at the times you'll be needing to take pictures.) You want the nice, soft kind of light.

I've thought about making one of those photo tent set-ups since I'm interested in photography anyway, but the natural lighting is very flattering until I get that project accomplished - in about 10 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

i don't like natural light because it messes with the colours/contrast/brightness.. I like shooting under my ott-light with some other lights on in my room. if you look in my gallery, 99% of my photos were taken at midnight or later, so it just goes to show that 1) getting to know your camera (i have a digital SLR) is a MUST and 2) getting good light makes a huge difference in your photos..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 01:26 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

My 'spot' for taking photos is in my kitchen close to the window but not in the window....it catches just enough light but not to much! but get to know your camera, try different locations, positions time of day and even OTT lights...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default How to build a free studio!

No-one mentioned this aproach:
Another way is to paint the inside of a cardboard box with white paint, cut and remove the top. you now have a base, sides and back (no front, no top) These side will reflect any light, be it overhead, daylight, or camera flash.

Then use a macro setting on your camera and a day-light bulb lamp,try positions, overhead to one side is good, so that you get true colours.

Position your card on a 'plate stand' if you like, this gives it a raise up and allows for shadows to naturally form, framing it and showing details; such as embossing or decopage, dimension etc.

If yoou use daylight it is best filtered through a net curtain, it gives a certain softness, as metioned by others.
HTH Dalek.

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 04:13 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I agree with turning off your flash. I use an ott light, right by a window, with an overhead light and desk lamp. If you are using natural light, you may need to change the settings on your camera. You should have an option for sunlight/artificial light/night etc. If your colors are off, it might be because of that setting.

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I use natural light too, and I have a tutorial on my blog here that doesn't require a matboard or anything large to store. I hope it is helpful to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheresaCCView Post
I agree with turning off your flash. I use an ott light, right by a window, with an overhead light and desk lamp. If you are using natural light, you may need to change the settings on your camera. You should have an option for sunlight/artificial light/night etc. If your colors are off, it might be because of that setting.
hmm.. my settings aren't off, i've played with them, i just don't like the too-bright effect of natural light. with the ott-light i also get position the light-source where i want it..

but to each their own!! i have just found a method that works for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
hmm.. my settings aren't off, i've played with them, i just don't like the too-bright effect of natural light. with the ott-light i also get position the light-source where i want it..

but to each their own!! i have just found a method that works for me!
Your photos are always stunning, as are your cards!

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 848 Likes on 280 Posts

For me bright light is must but don't confuse bright light with direct light. I use a "photo tent" for most of my shots. The diffused lighting works wonders and my photo editing program. Something else I have learned is to use a contrasting backdrop for white or light colored cards otherwise no matter what you do it will in likelihood appear washed out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by DalekView Post
No-one mentioned this aproach:
Another way is to paint the inside of a cardboard box with white paint, cut and remove the top. you now have a base, sides and back (no front, no top) These side will reflect any light, be it overhead, daylight, or camera flash.
I haven't tried this yet, but it's along the same idea as yours, except they cut the sides & use tissue paper to diffuse the light:

Cheap photo studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to beecreative

I just started using a photo tent. I'm still working out the bugs, but I wanted a consistent look for all my photos and I figured this was the best way for me to get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Sometimes, with Stickles, H2Os and so on, a bit of low flash will help bring out the sparkle and shimmer, though. My camera has an option to use 1/4 or 1/16 strength flash, and I usually use this if I want to show some sparkle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 03:33 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile Thank you!

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Now, all I need is a block of time to try them out. School is out for the summer, but time doesn't seem to be any more plentiful.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

I tried the photo box thing and it just didn't work for me. Instead I use a white towel over a table an a piece of white posterboard against the wall behind it as my backdrop. I use a natural daylight bulb and clamp light fixture and just point the light at my project and aim it so there is no shadow. I turn off any other lights in the room since they give an orange cast. I use the macro setting and no flash. I do minimal editing in PhotoShop just to straighten/brighten/lighten as necessary. Natural light is nice, but you may not always be able to create/photograph during the day or you might have a cloudy/rainy day without good light. The natural light bulb works regardless of the conditions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Default The way to get perfect color in your pictures!

I am a wannabe Photographer and have spent a lot of time learning photography and I wrote about a fabulous (I would not live without it) tool for perfect color here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have found that when taking pics I got the best result by putting my white cutting board on the stove top and using 2 sheets of white cardstock as the back drop. I then turn on the overhead range light and use no flash on the camera. This works either standing the card up or laying it down and shooting it on an angle. This imitates the fancy photo tents that I have seen....which take great shots...but this is cheaper! Good luck!

My gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...&ppuser=127746

Please visit my new blog
http://simonessweetsentiments.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

I've read all the ideas for taking pictures but what I need to know is what camera do you suggest for taking pictures of the cards and projects....that takes good pictures but doesn't cost a fortune. I only want it for that purpose nothing else.
Would really appreciate some advice!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Great tips from everyone! Photographing my finished cards is as important to me as making the card. I have a box of "staging" items that I use with my photos in addition to items that I used to make the card- markers, ribbons, etc. These items include shells, greenery, candlesticks, even cute salt and pepper shakers. I don't use them everytime, but some cards call for a little extra.

I photo right on my craft table using two sheets of coordinating DSP- one for the backdrop, one for the base. Then add my staging items.

I have a very old office type lamp that is directional, so I aim the light right at the card. My craft room is fairly well lit with a nearby window and overhead flourescent. (I bought a fancy Ott lamp thinking it would be better and it isn't.) My camera is several years old but still makes great pix- for cards I turn off the flash and adjust the white balance to the max.

I take several shots- always at an angle. After upload to my computer, I use Picasa and Microsoft Picture It! to crop, edit and make a soft edge- then add my watermark and upload to my blog and SCS. Most of my pix turn out great and the editing software helps keep the colors true.

Here are a couple that turned out good, I think:

TLC215 BVC09 Happy Easter Flower Pot by Lost in the 60's at Splitcoaststampers

IC56 Boughs of Whimsy/PCP 12day1 by Lost in the 60's at Splitcoaststampers

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Diane, Your pics are great! Thanks for sharing! I agree that the photos are sooo important ;) Always hard for me to achieve though, so I appreciate them all that more!
Luv,
Heidi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

On the issue of white balance - some cameras let you set a custom white balance which will be held in memory. If you regularly shoot indoors with the same light set up (in the winter it's dark here by 5, often well before I am ready to take a photo of my card, so I do!) it's worth checking this. My point-and-shoot doesn't have it, but my DSLR does. As the lighting in my craftroom is a mix of tungsten, fluorescent and the lights for my light tent, I find this a very helpful function for getting a true white without colour casts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I use my Ott light with white cardstock on the desktop and standing up behind. Its considered "high key" lighting but works for most cards. If there is something really shiny or its a very light coloured card I turn off the Ott light and use just my flash. It usually works well. You all have offered terrific suggestions though! Great forum.

"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.
-- Diane Ackerman"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
Try natural light, no flash, and use the macro setting for closeups (that's usually a tulip icon).

Beate Johns explains a very simple photography setup on her blog, and she gets amazing results with it. That is as easy place to start. Blogs at Splitcoaststampers

The other tip is that you can correct a lot of errors with photo editing software. If you don't already have a program, Picasa is free and easy to use. http://picasa.google.com/

There are many professional quality photos in the SCS galleries, so I'm sure you'll get a lot of other advice, too.
Oh my gosh, thanks for the link to the free photo editing software; I love it. I feel like I just got a new free toy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by boobaletView Post
Oh my gosh, thanks for the link to the free photo editing software; I love it. I feel like I just got a new free toy.
You're welcome, Lisa.

Some people just use Picasa's one-click fixes for color and lighting. So easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

You're welcome, Lisa.

You can use the text button to add a watermark.

Picasa, Google Reader, and Google Notebook rock my world.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:00 AM   #28  

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
You can use the text button to add a watermark.

Picasa, Google Reader, and Google Notebook rock my world.
Ok...I opened it and could you please tell me where to find the text button....either I just haven't had enough coffee or I am missing something??
thanks......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
Ok...I opened it and could you please tell me where to find the text button....either I just haven't had enough coffee or I am missing something??
thanks......
Hey!

Not sure what program you are using but my Arcsoft has a big T you click on that and it should bring up a box to type in it has where you can pick the size and color and style of you font too...Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
thanks......
If you are using Picasa it is under Basic Fixes - 2nd column - bottom button -

It looks kinda like a mountain with ABC on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Thank You

For the post that led me to the photo tent made using tracing paper (tissue paper) I saved it to my fav because I thought i'd give it a try.

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Question about Picasa

Quote:

You're welcome, Lisa.

I
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Question about Picasa

Quote:

You're welcome, Lisa.

I am having trouble uploading my photos into Blogger (on my blog) after I edit them in Picasa. The old unedited copy gets uploaded. However, when I try to email these photos that I edit in Picasa, they go through edited (I think). Help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #34  

Quote:

Thanks so much Judi for the links. I have been really trying to perfect my photos....downloaded Picasa and have had a chance to play with it this wknd.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #35  

Quote:

Originally Posted by transprntbutterflyView Post
If you are using Picasa it is under Basic Fixes - 2nd column - bottom button -

It looks kinda like a mountain with ABC on it.

Thanks to you too, Michelle....I got it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the link to Picasa. I really need to take a basic photography class, but this will help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I am having trouble uploading my photos into Blogger (on my blog) after I edit them in Picasa. The old unedited copy gets uploaded. However, when I try to email these photos that I edit in Picasa, they go through edited (I think). Help!
Are you saving the changes? It's a little weird in that you have either go to file, save or go back to the library page (with all the thumbnails), then click "save to disk" button, which is at the top right of the screen, across from the file name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
Are you saving the changes? It's a little weird in that you have either go to file, save or go back to the library page (with all the thumbnails), then click "save to disk" button, which is at the top right of the screen, across from the file name.

Oh my Gosh, I am so embarrased. Something so simple. No I was not saving the changes. I went in and saved tham as you described and low and behold it worked. I loaded my photo into my blog, and it looked great! Can't thank you enough!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Susan,

I simply use auto settings on my camera.

Find good clear day-light if you can. Take your card and open up a blind or curtain by a window if you need to. Not direct sunshine on your card because it creates shadows.

Just good light.

Prop your card upwards rather than laying it down on the floor, so that you can point your camera towards the card-front easily. Have your card facing the light-source.

Take a number of photos from various distances. Sometimes, the closer shots can be a little out of focus, or blurred. The one taken a bit farther away can be successfully cropped.

Your result is then a good sharp, crisp, image to post online.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Oh my Gosh, I am so embarrased. Something so simple. No I was not saving the changes. I went in and saved tham as you described and low and behold it worked. I loaded my photo into my blog, and it looked great! Can't thank you enough!
Ha, don't be embarrassed, I didn't even know about that button since I always export mine into separate month folders after I edit them. I just remember the issue from another picasa discussion on here.
Reply With Quote Likes