Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-15-2005, 12:18 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take Ten: Not!

I've often been annoyed at the editor's choices of which cards to publish in the Take Ten magazines (and in the Take Ten column of Stamper's Sampler) because many of the cards would be impossible to create in 10 minutes. I've wondered if the person submitting was trying to pull someone's leg, or maybe they were lying to themselves, or perhaps it's the editors who determine whether a card is creatable in 10 minutes. In the past I've had cards printed in both publications, and the ten minute cards I submitted were truly ten minute cards (even less than 10 minutes, probably).

I finally got my complimentary copy of Take Ten Winter '06 today. My card that they printed definitely isn't a Take Ten card, and I didn't submit it as such. In fact, this card (top right, page 93) took at least an hour to make . . . the embossing was really finnicky. Also, it's 5 layers of card stock -- that takes me more than 10 minutes to cut out right there! They also got the directions wrong (which is pretty obvious if one actually tried to follow them). Yikes. I don't know what's going on over there.

It's still a really super-nice honour to be published, and I'm thrilled to receive a $18 magazine for free . . . but I really wish they'd keep the Take Ten issues to true 10 minute cards.

View My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I hear ya. I was thinking the same thing a little while ago. Going to a more-frequent publishing format created quite a squeeze, I think, to find enough artwork for a whole magazine. Although, I've thought that about cards in previous issues as well, except the very first one. THAT one really did have mostly 10 minute cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Not to mention, a lot of the Take Ten cards that I see are not that good in the first place. I'm not trying to say mine are any better, but I have seen better 10-minute cards than some that they publish. It is all matter of opinion anyway. There are definitely some fab 10-minute cards as well as other cards too. Just making an observation. I generally will purchase regular issues of Stamper's Sampler as opposed to the Take Ten issue. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2005, 03:54 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default A Letter to the Editor is due.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickelini
.......... My card that they printed definitely isn't a Take Ten card, and I didn't submit it as such. In fact, this card (top right, page 93) took at least an hour to make . . .
It's still a really super-nice honour to be published, and I'm thrilled to receive a $18 magazine for free . . . but I really wish they'd keep the Take Ten issues to true 10 minute cards.
I think that you should write a letter to the magazine telling them what you just said... that your card took an hour and that you did not submit it for Take Ten. Also, you could tell them that you have seen complaints online from their customers regarding how difficult some of the cards are. It is not in their best interest to have people complaining to each other on the internet. They will just loose their customers.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
I think that you should write a letter to the magazine telling them what you just said... that your card took an hour and that you did not submit it for Take Ten. Also, you could tell them that you have seen complaints online from their customers regarding how difficult some of the cards are. It is not in their best interest to have people complaining to each other on the internet. They will just loose their customers.
Yes, I planned to do exactly that!

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2005, 07:19 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsweeney
Not to mention, a lot of the Take Ten cards that I see are not that good in the first place. I'm not trying to say mine are any better, but I have seen better 10-minute cards than some that they publish. It is all matter of opinion anyway. There are definitely some fab 10-minute cards as well as other cards too. Just making an observation. I generally will purchase regular issues of Stamper's Sampler as opposed to the Take Ten issue. ;)
I was wondering if it was just me . . . I think the same thing too. The Stamper's Samplers that I bought a few years ago, and the first Take Ten, are full of yellow stickies to mark cards that I want to CASE, but the last year and a half or so I have found fewer cards that I think are special. I think I get more inspiration here at Splitcoaststampers.

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I can agree with what you guys are saying about the cards looking like they take longer than 10 minutes but I like 'Take Ten' because it shows more cards and less advertisements. I don't mind paying 18.00 to just see cards and not have to deal with all the buy me adds. I can deal with it taking longer to make the card then 10 minutes.

smile
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I cased a bunch of the cards from V for presents for my grandma, and while a few actually did take 10 min, a bunch didn't. I didn't pick out any really complicated ones, just ones that had a lot of steps. But I like how the ones I did turned out, anyway. I really like that there's tons of samples in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Default take ten

Does anyone have the template from the stamper's sampler take ten vol. 3?
It was an 8.5 X 11 paper stamped with a leaf? It is only cards, a little different from the Stampin Up demonstrator's version.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #10  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted4fam
Does anyone have the template from the stamper's sampler take ten vol. 3?
It was an 8.5 X 11 paper stamped with a leaf? It is only cards, a little different from the Stampin Up demonstrator's version.
Thanks for your help!
I think you're talking about the One Sheet Wonder layouts. If so, check my gallery for a template, or click here. And, be sure to check the OSW gallery for TONS of samples.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #11  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Ok - here's my gripe. Just this past week I was thinking that Paper Crafts now has nearly a dozen (maybe even more) of different "stamping" issues. The recent Paper Crafts (Sept?) was one of the thinnest yet. Now, I love Paper Crafts, Stamp It, Take Ten, and other publications, I think it's all gone a little overboard.

These publishers are looking for ways to cash-in on a growing craft, so now what used to be in one magazine might now be spread into 2 or 3 different pubs (think Paper Crafts, Stamp It, Stamp It Cards, and special issues like Holiday Cards, Birthday Creations, and Card Creations.

Are we getting better ideas? Or the 'same' ideas at more cost?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I've never seen a Take Ten magazine....where does one purchase one at?
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,052 Likes on 796 Posts

I just looked thru the latest Take Ten yesterday at Michael's (trying to decide if I should use my 40% off coupon on it) and I thought the same thing--these are not 10 minute cards. I have been stamping for 10 years and I'm a fast stamper, but there's no way to get a lot of them done that fast.
Terry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
I've never seen a Take Ten magazine....where does one purchase one at?
I've seen them at Michaels and Barnes and Noble.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

I think what may be a ten minute card to one person may not be a ten minute card to another. I do agree that not all the cards in Take Ten fit into my interpretation of a ten minute card... but then again, I am a highly anal, extremely perfectionistic stamper (trying to work on that, though!). Other stampers I know are very quick stampers and can bust out lots of stuff in ten minutes that I could never dream of. The cards I submit to take ten are very simple, and have no layers or very few layers, as that's my preferred style in general. However, I would say that they are limited to choosing from the cards that are submitted... in other words... if they had more "true" ten minute cards they would have more to choose from to publish. Soooo... submit away! Another thing to remember about submitting is that what you send in now won't be published for quite a while, and they do publish cards long after the call or issue you may have sent them in for, so the thing to remember with them is that there is literally always hope that you'll see something of yours.

Also, keep in mind that you can always adapt the card to make it more of a 10 minute card for you. Even if you're casing, you can eliminate some layers and just go with the basic look of the card instead of the whole kit and caboodle, so to speak.
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

first off congrats on being published.

Secondly - when you submit a card to Stampington, in the fine print, it states that they can use your submission in any of their publications. So maybe that's why it is in the Take Ten, they may have needed it to fill the color scheme for the page they wanted to print in that issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickelini
I'm thrilled to receive a $18 magazine for free . . . but I really wish they'd keep the Take Ten issues to true 10 minute cards.
I'd be thrilled, too, if I could get them to actually publish one of my truly 10 minute designs.

As it is, I received a number of them back a few weeks ago, rejected. Mebbe I shoulda' submitted Take TWENTY minute designs!

Yeah. Yeah. Mebbe that's the ticket! ppppppfffffffffttttttttt!!!

Geeze, I crack myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

[quote=JulieHRR]Mebbe I shoulda' submitted Take TWENTY minute designs!

Now you're onto something! Take Ten, Take Twenty, Take Thirty, Take For-ev-ah...
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Oh, Julie ... that stinks to get cards back!

I submitted 15 cards to the issue before the current one and not a one of 'em was published in the issue I had submitted for.

Rejection stinks! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

You know this bugs me. Seewah and Julie, you two are so creative and I LOVE your designs. I love the fact that many of your cards are simple, and take 10 minutes to make....to me that makes them more desirable because they are simple, creative, and beautiful. I think the magazine is losing touch with the people they should be trying to target by making the designs too complex. Big boo, boo in my opinion...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Is the next issue of Take Ten out on the shelves yet? I always have to run to Barnes and Noble to make sure I get one before they are sold out. I count on you ladies here on SCS to let me know when they are on the shelves. I always love everyone cards, so many great ideas!

Just not enough time in the day to do
everything that I love to do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmolitor
Is the next issue of Take Ten out on the shelves yet?
My LSS just got it yesterday
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 07:17 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by seewah
Oh, Julie ... that stinks to get cards back!

I submitted 15 cards to the issue before the current one and not a one of 'em was published in the issue I had submitted for.

Rejection stinks! :(
Well, I guess I'm used to it (the rejection notices) so I just roll with it. ;) chuckle!

I just wish they'd make up their minds as to whether or not they want to be a more artsy magazine, like Somerset Studio, and Stamper's Sampler, which is becoming a lot more like Somerset Studio all the time, IMHO, or a magazine for folks like me, who just wanna make a cute or classy card in 10 minutes. LOL!

UKWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Makes sense to me!

I am very glad to have heard so many views on Take Ten in the forums over the months. It's helped me decide to never even pick the mag up to flip through and instead hit the galleries at SCS! I guess when I do that I am not supporting all the hard work that the submittors put into their cards, but generally I find SCS to be a better deal all around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2006, 04:12 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

I have the last issue of Take Ten sitting right here on my work desk...it was quite a dissapointment from past copies I have bought - they seem to be getting away from the cute simple cards - while some are truely beautiful - others have so much stuff on it - it looks like Vintage yacked all over the card.

I loved the stamped folio they highlighted in the last issue (Summer 06) and plan on making up a bunch of these for holiday gifts for my co-workers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2006, 04:31 AM   #26  
Failed Lurker

I've not seen a copy for a few years, but I was always disappointed that so many of the designs were direct CASEs of cards on the SU inspiration sheets. I thought a design had to be original to qualify?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2006, 04:34 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry to change the topic a little but for those of you that have submitted to take ten did you submit full cards or just card fronts? I had sent them an e-mail a while back about this and received no response. Thanks for any info you can share.

Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2006, 04:51 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin fool
Sorry to change the topic a little but for those of you that have submitted to take ten did you submit full cards or just card fronts? I had sent them an e-mail a while back about this and received no response. Thanks for any info you can share.

Ronda
Full cards. If they don't publish your card (or hang on to it for future issues), I believe they don't them to charity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2006, 04:52 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Full cards. If they don't publish your card (or hang on to it for future issues), I believe they don't them to charity.
Meant to say they DONATE them to charity. Just woke up and my fingers aren't awake yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2006, 07:45 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Meant to say they DONATE them to charity. Just woke up and my fingers aren't awake yet!
Mine must be so bad that they'd rather send 'em back to me on their dime than donate 'em to charity!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2006, 07:55 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Julie,
You can donate your cards to me! I can't imagine any of your cards being so bad that they would send them back to you.
And I agree with your earlier statements about Take 10 needs to decide if they are going to be "artsy" or actual 10 minute cards. I have not liked the last couple of issues because they seem to be more artsy and I want quick and easy cards that I can do in about 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2006, 08:00 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Mine must be so bad that they'd rather send 'em back to me on their dime than donate 'em to charity!
you are so funny my dear Julie! Like you even make a bad card! I'm rather surprised they would send them back and even pay the postage. They've had a bunch of my stuff for over 1 1/2 years now, that have yet to see publication - I would assume by now a nice charity has gotten them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2006, 08:21 AM   #33  
ch
Mad Swapper

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I'd be thrilled, too, if I could get them to actually publish one of my truly 10 minute designs.

As it is, I received a number of them back a few weeks ago, rejected. Mebbe I shoulda' submitted Take TWENTY minute designs!

Yeah. Yeah. Mebbe that's the ticket! ppppppfffffffffttttttttt!!!

Geeze, I crack myself.
Hey Julie---Send your cards to me, I WILL NOT reject them! I will loveingly hang them in my stamp room and enjoy them (and CASE them)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I stopped buying all those magazines a long time ago. It really bothered me when I learned that all the cards are simply donated to the magazine and the only thing the artists get is a free copy of the very pricey magazine. Didn't seem right to me!

I stick to the SCS galleries for ALL the inspiration I can handle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #35  
Glitter Guru

I saw my first issue of Take Ten today at Barnes and Noble....and didn't end up buying it...I just wasn't impressed. Except for with the card on the top right of page 93. ;)
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 12:46 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
I saw my first issue of Take Ten today at Barnes and Noble....and didn't end up buying it...I just wasn't impressed. Except for with the card on the top right of page 93. ;)

Hey, you stinker! You got one in there, didn't you????!!!! Congrats!!!!! Dunno how long it will take before those arrive on the island, but, I'll be lookin' for ya'!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've had a card published in Take Ten and it certainly didn't take me 10 minutes to make. The thing is though that I had sent it in for submission to Stamper's Sampler and they decided to put it into Take Ten instead. So there you go.

Anyway, I've also been wondering about this ten minutes business, unless I'm using SU! cardstock it takes me half an hour to decide which colours I like together let alone adding in stamping time, etc.

Cheers,
Angela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

No no....I didn't get anything published....they had the back issues at the bookstore and i saw the card for the lady that started this thread! LOL...sorry about the mix up!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

I've been thinking the same thing as the OP! Must admit I was so excited when the first Take 10 came out--seemed like a magazine just for me! Mostly clean designs, not too complicated, quick, fun cards. I haven't bought the last two issues, though, because they've strayed from their original purpose and I just can't get excited about most of the cards anymore. It seems silly to pay that much for a handful of great examples to CASE.

There's so much more to see and CASE on SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #40  
Glitter Guru

The only card I've had published was in Take Ten(submitted to Stampers Sampler) and it took me 40+ minutes to make.

Mabey they judge 10 min. by how long it would take a pro to CASE? Just a thought.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes