Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2005, 12:41 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swaps--why do people sign up?

*****RANT ALERT******

Why do peole sign up for swaps and then not fulfill their committment? It's one thing if you have a death in the family or something major like that, but to just not send in your swaps is getting really annoying. I've participated in three swaps and in every single one someone wimped out leaving the hostess scrambling to make up the difference!!

Deep breath........

Katy

I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare,
.......and I dare a little more as I grow older.
-Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I think we should have a list and once you flake we give you a break but flake again and you are out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

what about a swap you participated in, but NEVER received anything back!! I submitted card fronts back on October!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 01:59 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

From the hostess point of view, it really sucks. I have always felt I offered a sufficient amount of time to complete and mail your swaps once I closed a swap. I try to give 2-3 weeks. At first, I would make the cards and add to the lot. Then I had people who totally disregarded the preferences (such as full cards vs. card fronts, 2 page layouts, SU products only, etc.) and I found myself working so much on other's people projects and not being reimbursed for my product or my time. I really wish if someone signs up to be in a swap and cannot complete/mail in a timely manner, then graciously drop out and let an angel have the opportunity BEFORE the swap is due. It's very frustrating on both ends....being a swapper and a hostess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

GolfCat- I PMed you.

Catie
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 02:18 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I've never hosted a swap, but I've participated in quite a few. I've only had a problem once in 2 years, and it was on my part. I made them, I sent them, hostess never received them. I couldn't remake them because I traded off the set I used for the swaps shortly after. It sucks and I feel bad for the hostess who had to make up my swaps, but it happens I suppose. Now for those people who sign up and just don't make the cards or send them or whatever...If you know you can't complete them...DON'T SIGN UP!!!!

]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bebedoc
From the hostess point of view, it really sucks. I have always felt I offered a sufficient amount of time to complete and mail your swaps once I closed a swap. I try to give 2-3 weeks. At first, I would make the cards and add to the lot. Then I had people who totally disregarded the preferences (such as full cards vs. card fronts, 2 page layouts, SU products only, etc.) and I found myself working so much on other's people projects and not being reimbursed for my product or my time. I really wish if someone signs up to be in a swap and cannot complete/mail in a timely manner, then graciously drop out and let an angel have the opportunity BEFORE the swap is due. It's very frustrating on both ends....being a swapper and a hostess.
Here, here! I was in one swap and two people totally flaked out. The poor hostess, sweety that she is, make up for the two people and made a nice cover for our book. She stayed up all night trying to make it right. How sad that she was put in that position?

We all totally understand that things come up, but be considerate enough to let the hostess know so she can make other arrangements. I think manners in general have gone to H-ll in a handbasket! People don't RSVP for workshops, they don't complete they swaps.....

Katy

I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare,
.......and I dare a little more as I grow older.
-Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 02:53 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I know from experience how frustrating it can be on both ends. The only advice I can offer is to keep the deadline firm. If a swapper doesn't get them there on time, swap what you have and send an e-mail to all swappers apologizing for their extra swaps back. Unfortunately, the swapper that missed the deadline will receive her swaps back if she sends them at all. I'm trying to get better at sticking to this, but I'm also trying to balance being nice and understanding, too. I know that things happen, but I, too, am sick of having to wait on swappers to follow through.
I am loved by the King, and it makes my heart want to sing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been on both ends of that, too. In the current swap, I failed to communicate clearly that 1 person was included in the swap... so it's not always the fault of the participant. Also, one of the ladies sent hers and it was sent back to her... we have no idea why. lol

Lots of reasons why swaps are not completed. I always extend my deadline and I'm always willing to allow any other hostess to extend it if need be. They're only cards and there are no real deadlines... I just go with the flow! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 04:12 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

It is very aggravating becasue we all have "things" going on in our lives and it is not fair that some of us stay true to our commitment and others just skip out! I also think it is bad when a hostess waits 2 weeks or more to send out swaps because they are waiting for someone's cards. There is a deadline and that should be respected, I could see a few days, but keep it within a reasonable amount of time! Wow, that felt good
Cathy f
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 03:00 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

It seems that sometimes the postal service is to blame. I was in a swap several months ago and sent out my part 2 weeks before they were due. The hostess never received them and they have never been returned to me either. They are still lost somewhere in mail never-never land I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 03:15 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree that it is frustrating. One of the things that has always helped me when I hostess is to not limit the sign-ups. So if I host a 5+1 swap, I allow as many people who want to sign up, sign up. If I have ten people join, it's no big deal if several flake.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 04:55 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

And too often the "lost in the mail" is a easy out excuse. I found out in a round about way that someone in a swap I was in just used this excuse to "save face". Yup...life happens and in the grand scheme of things missing a swap deadline isn't "tragic" but it seems to be happening frequently enough that people are getting "swap shy".

So...don't sign up for more than you can handle. If something comes up PLEASE let the hostess know right away. Think about other's who are making the committment and let's try to make this a GREAT experience for everyone!

Thanks for listening ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 06:24 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

:oops: I only participate with a RELIABLE group now. I signed up for 3 on SCS and I WILL NEVER do it again. The last one I signed up for took over 3 months....no kidding, for us to receive our swaps back because she had flakey people (but the swaps were all VERY pretty). The first one was my fault - I did not pay attention to the details ( I only wanted to participate in one that was SU! products only) so my error - but still they were nice. The second was a JOKE! One was so lazy that she didn't even stamp the cardstcok (it was just a folded piece of paper) and she enclosed a candy cane and hot chocolate in an envelope - THAT"S IT!!!! :oops: Like I said NEVER again....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 06:33 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Default Swaps-why do people sign up?

I host a swap now and then and I've been in swaps in the past. I got burned in a swap last year that I signed up for and never got any cards back. When I host a swap I post it here and on the SU forums and I usually get the same responsible and get stampers in my swap. I also get some new stampers to join in, which is really great. I am the type of person that does not like to disappoint anyone....so my swaps always get back to where they need to go. Maybe that's the answer.... get into a great swap with someone you trust. Or host one yourself.
I love swaps! I have received some amazing artwork from very talented stampers. It's also the best way to build up a stash for any occassion. For new stampers it's great to get into swaps to have samples from new and seasoned stampers. Technique swaps are really great too.
I'm sorry some of you have been in bad swaps, they should be fun and exciting.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 06:35 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I don't do swaps very often. From time to time I will. But I have found that the best way to mail them is priority mail. Yes, it may cost you a few dollars more, but the box you put them in is sturdy, and you get out and back quicker as well. And you can track them to see when they were delivered. For me it is well worth the extra expense. But this is also why I only do a few a year. And I also do everything right from my pc at USPS.com. You can order all the supplies you want for free right from them. You can print off the postage labels right from your computer!~very very easy to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 07:44 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I have a yahoo group where I host 5-4-5 swaps, you make 5 cards (same) and mail them out to 5 diff people, and in return you get 5 diff cards.

Anyways, I havnt had the to many flakers, some have major personal problems and need more time, but once I send an email out they respond and get them out asap.

I have had to ban a couple and suspend some, they don't do the card and they never respond to emails

Unfortunatley the nice thing this you are only out 1 card at the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 08:44 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I had never been in a swap for all the reasons listed above!
But I broke down and signed up for a me and Mom swap.
My fingers are crossed as I really don't want my kids to be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 10:16 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 179 Likes on 56 Posts

I initiated a similar thread to rant about swapping difficulties. I totally empathize with all sides of this issue - the hostess left with people who flake after the deadline or leave you hanging saying that their package is "in the mail", the other swappers who get their own cards back because of the people who flake or are late, and swappers who get their return package late (or not at all!).

I really think some type of system of feedback needs to be set up here on SCS. Not a blacklist, but someone else already suggested something like they have on ebay. A method for someone to have some idea of who they're dealing with - someone reputable or a flaker.

While I have gotten some great ideas and workmanship from swaps I've participated in, I am very hesitant to organize or participate in another one, unless I know the other participants. There have just been too many headaches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 06:55 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I love swaps, but they make me nervous... I've signed up for three and only one went great. My second one, I never recieved my swaps and with the third one, it took way longer than it should have. I'm with Sarabeth on this - I get really bothered when a deadline is set and not enforced. I think it's only common courtesy for those who participate and follow the "rules", that swaps are returned if they can't get them in on time. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying a minute after midnight on the noted day is in violation, but after 8 or 9 days - that's just too much...

ok, rant over... what's for dinner??

"Married to one, Mom to two and Stamp for me!"

"I'd rather be in Vegas..."
Reply With Quote Likes