Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-20-2016, 03:47 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions of acrylic blocks please

Been out of the stamping for many years, Stamped my first card yesterday. I am at a lost, there are so many choices of acrylic blocks. I am not happy with what I have from years ago. Thank you
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 05:27 AM   #2  
BA
Polyshrink Goddess

I have (and like) Stampin' Up's acrylic blocks because they are substantial (not real thin) have rounded edges making them easier to grip and they come in a variety of sizes. I also have (and like) Apple Pie brand acrylic blocks because they have grid lines to help line up those sentiments.
You are correct! There are many choices out there. Probably you will want to figure out what you don't like about the ones you have and what you would prefer instead. Then look at the options out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 05:38 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I am eyeing up lawn fawn, I definitely want some kind of grip. mine are not easy to handle. I have MS and at times things slip out of my hands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 05:38 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

My choices:

Stampin Up and Close to my Heart...because they are thick like wood blocks (3/4 inch), with grooves on the edges to be able to hold onto.

I have a small set of cubes that I love.

The others are in the 5/8 inch thick range and have grid lines and wavy edges.

However, I must say that my MISTI is used the most often, and is the most useful. It can replace almost every use of acrylic blocks. No need for a jillion blocks. Check out the partner forum here:
My Sweet Petunia - Splitcoaststampers
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 06:06 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Fiona. I have both the original and mini MISTI. (Don't scrapbook much so didn't buy the largest one.) Have found that between these 2, most of my stamping needs are covered. I know that they are $$$ but consider how much you would pay for all the different sizes of acrylic blocks you would purchase.

If I were going to buy just one, I would purchase the original.

Of my acrylic blocks, I like the the ones with the grid lines and either curvy/grooved edges. They are about 1/2-5/8" thick.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 10-20-2016 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: Add info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I got mines from Michaels with a 50% coupon (I think it was around 6 or 7 for the set)

Recollections 4 piece block set
Recollections? Signature Acrylic Block Set

I like the fact that it had different sizes and the grid lines (which have yet to fade)
Contents:
•6.5" x 2" block
•3" x 3" block
•2" x 2" block
•1" x 1" block
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #7  

Received 1,393 Likes on 523 Posts

I have a mix of CTMH and SU! and I love them both. SU!'s have rounded edges, which are comfortable to hold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have MS invest in a Misti, so worth the investment. It is so easy to get a clear image with the same alignment if the need to re-ink happens. I sometimes have issues with strength in my hands/fingers, Misti helps. Otherwise I recommend SU, love the grip and thickness of the blocks, and also like the case for storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

I have a mix so I could get different sizes. I love having a grid on it.

If slipping is on your mind, you could try a small press like this one?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskar-Co...&wl13=&veh=sem

I would probably still flip it for 6 x 6 stamps and press paper to it though.

I got these handle things from Clarity stamp. I have not used them yet though. you can probably get them in the US. I notice she also uses the fiskars at times.

Last edited by wavejumper; 10-20-2016 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I found my small CTMH block from years ago. I like it, seems to work well for me. just need other sizes for bigger stamps. And i heard about the misti seems like something thats a good investment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Although the MISTI seems pricey, if you add up the $$ spent to get a good selection of decent acrylic blocks, you're not spending much more to get the MISTI and there's much more that can be done with it than with the blocks. That being said, sometimes I just need a tiny thing stamped, so I grab a 1" or 1" x 2" block and use that...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2016, 01:11 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have blocks from a few companies, including Inkadinkadoo (huge block), Lawn Fawn and Fiskars. This set from Fiskars with gridded lines gives a nice variety at a decent price. Then you'd only need to fill in a couple, like if you needed a very long or very large block. https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Stamp...tamp+block+set

In terms of quality, an acrylic block is an acrylic block. I'd just check height - some are quite flat, so harder to grip, and decide if grid lines are important.

Blocks are easier and faster for me to use than the Misti for some stamping - like if I'm using several tiny stamps to fill in an area, putting a stamp on each corner of a block allows for super fast stamping using several colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2016, 04:07 AM   #13  

I love the Stampin' Up blocks and use the misti.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I love FSJ blocks. Nice, smooth, has grid lines and rounded for comfort, and comes in a variety of sizes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandy15View Post
I love FSJ blocks. Nice, smooth, has grid lines and rounded for comfort, and comes in a variety of sizes.
+1
I LOVE FSJ blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2016, 04:17 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(Warning.. this turned out to be long, sorry)

I've got a collection of blocks (somewhere--those clear blocks hide in my work area), a Fiskars stamp press, and a regular size MISTI.

Started with Holtz ones which have a grid but are really thin. I couldn't stamp without getting extra ink on my fingers, which I never noticed until after I'd stamped it on my card. Uncomfortable to hold with their edges, not sharp like they hurt you but uncomfortable for me to hold. I’m sure they work fine for others, just not for me. They do have a longer block which was good for the card width stamps which I have a lot of

Went to thicker ones, maybe Lawn Fawn or Apple, and I liked them. Softer curved edges and still have grids to help me with keeping things straight. I seem to be able to find them easier than the thin ones. But I have some long stamps, and some bigger images that I don't have a huge thick block to put them one. I have background stamps that needed a big block but that would be too uncomfortable to hold in my hand. Probably expensive also.

(I suppose I could have bought and used a brayer but my head needs to stamp down onto paper/cardstock, not put the stamp on the table image up, paper and then brayer)

(During this time I also learned to put a little washi tape on my blocks so I can see them on my messy desk! Did the same thing with my clear cutting pads.)

I did get a Fiskars stamp press with the foam feet at a garage sale and I was using that the most. I could do the background stamps and I’d put a lot of stamps on to stamp at one time. Stamp a bunch of cardstock and then have those in the living room to color as I watched TV. Crazy birds, some lovely paisley’s and others. I tried to restamp bad images by looking over the top but couldn't line up well. Some people can, I can't. I get a little shadow sometimes.

But with each I was sometimes having problems getting a good even impression that I was happy with. I didn't know if it was me. I thought-- was it the stamps? Was it my work surface? Was it was my ink? It was my paper? Maybe I just wasn't good at this? (The stamping quality bothered me, it "wasn't good enough" for me to use and then share with others. I worry about that.)

I did borrow a stamp a ma jig from a friend but couldn't get it to work for me.

I'd been watching videos and websites with the MISTI for over a year. Read posts etc. Finally decided that I'd invested too much in stamps and ink to not try it AND if I added together the costs of all the things I'd purchased (above) it was a lot more than the MISTI.

For my birthday I bought myself the regular size MISTI (and didn’t use it at first as I was busy with work, etc.). Then I started using it and kicked myself for not buying and using it sooner.

Now my go to is the MISTI for me, I can get a crisp image by reinking and I don't end up with a bit of a shadow on the stamping. The same papers, inks, stamps I had are working fine. I don't just do cards, also like to play with watercolor markers on background stamp. I stamp images and color them in then cut them out (mostly with dies) to have items to add to my card or whatever I’m working on or just because it’s fun.

I use watercolor paper for coloring images and it's hard to stamp on. For some I like to stamp the background and emboss it before I start coloring. The MISTI has been great for that. I'll do lots of images and make a stack to have and color in front of the TV. It's really fast to do that.

I still use a block from time to time but it’s for a small thing to add. When I reach for a block is it one of the thicker ones. Actually, if exact placement isn’t required I’ve sometimes just put the tiny stamp on my fingertip and stamp that way (Jennifer Mcguire did this in a video, it was an ah ha moment for me.)

Bottom line, if I were starting out and knew what I know now I would get the MISTI and a thick block or maybe 2. I’d get a thick block with curvy edges that I could comfortably hold in my hand for the few times there are things to stamp and I don’t use the MISTI.
Size? That depends on you. I have the regular/original size and like the options I have for techniques that some do by moving the cardstock within the MISTI to create a pattern (repeat the stamp, stripes, plaids, etc.). I think you could do that with a MINI but the card would have to slip over the edge and I know I’d have some ink on the edge that I didn’t notice before I set my cardstock on it. I’d probably also get a crease in the card and that would bother me. I also just stamp a bunch of images on bigger sheets of cardstock to add to my coloring stack so I like the extra space. I’d continue to get the regular size if I were to do it again.

I suggest you watch some videos and watch how the MISTI is used to see if you think the mini or the original size is best for you. I suggest

Videos - Jennifer McGuire Ink and you can select the MISTI under company then you will get a filtering of videos where she used the MISTI (enabler alert… she’s a great teacher and I watch every video she does
https://laurafadora.wordpress.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/underst...ch?query=misti

You can buy it many places. I’m putting a plug in for one of my favorite shops, OOZAK (I’m not affiliated, just a happy customer—he’s local for me so I want him to have lots of business so he’s around forever, LOL) I think you’ll find that your shipping would be free.

Barb K

PS put some washi tape on those magnets so it goes beyond the magnet and creates a tab like handle to help you slide those powerful things apart and just pick them up as you work. Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I also suggest a few extra magnets just because. I think my cardstock could use a bit more help when my stamps are especially sticky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barb-

Well said!!! I agree with all the comments you included in your response.

I bought one of those mega acrylic blocks (especially to use for large background stamps) that cost $25 that is stuck way back in a drawer. Never could get a good stamped image with it.

I saw others using the washi tape flags. Those little buggers go MIA in my crafting area. One time I couldn't find them even after turning my messy crafting area upside down so bought some extras. Guess where they finally turned up-they were attached to a metal snap on a storage envelope of a stamp set I actually had put away where it belonged when not in use. (Don't ask why I didn't feel it when the envie was being put away-those mysterious, pesky craft elves must have had something to do with that!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

For 6x6 or larger background stamps, you can just place the stamp on your table or desk, ink it, put the cardstock on it, lay a piece of scratch paper over it, and gently rub/press. The scratch paper is just to keep your hands clean.

I was taught to do backgrounds this way at an LSS, and it's how "carders" like Kristina Werner and others demonstrate it on videos. Easy peasy.

Of course if you have a Misti or similar, that works too. I have one but don't need it for background stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I suggest the regular sized MISTI and put colorful washi tape taps on the two outside corners to grab when opening and closing it. Put washi tape tabs on the magnets so they are easier to pick up or if you need to pull them apart. I also recommend the SU! blocks because they are thicker and have smooth grooves all the way around them for a comfortable hold.

Last edited by arlenevita; 10-23-2016 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes