Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Such a basic question, but how do you clean your stamps?

I'm not brand new to stamping but over the past two years I've tried various methods to clean my clear stamps. I have no trouble with the rubber cling stamps which seem to clean so easily. So I've tried various brands of sprays which work with varying degrees of success. I have one spray...think it may be hero arts which cleans well (I think it's called ultra clean) but has a greasy feel afterwards . The water based spray that is Ranger brand,I think, does not do a great job. I've tried both with two brands of scrubbers. The thing about the scrubbers is they seem to hold the ink and after a shirt time , they seem to transfer color to the stamp. (Yes I know I can wash them and have) I've also used some ink away wipes and baby wipes. Stopped the baby wipes because they leave some fibers on the stamp. The ink away only takes away a bit of the stain and does nothing for the darker colors. I've also used the absorber and the lawn fawn version of it. Again they wipe off some of the surface ink but not the darker colors. I like them for quick clean up though but again they get dirty so fast. None of these products except the ultra clean and scrubber keep the stamps from taking on dark colors and staining, no matter what I do. So just looking for what works for you. I don't care if the stamps stain though I'd rather not if I could avoid it, but do want them clean.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I have done most of the things you mention, except baby wipes, which I heard left fibers. I also have not tried Hero Arts Ultra Clean, I think I will order when it goes on sale at Joann...they have it listed in the Ink section, which sometimes goes half off.
I have been using Recollections liquid, but now it's not in the Michaels store anymore.
I really like the Stampin Up giant scrubber because it's BIG and two-sided, and it's very washable. I broke the tiny tabs that hold the scrubbing squares into the plastic box, but that makes the squares easier to wash. I do have to wash them often, as they do hold the ink they have removed.
The Absorber works fine, it just goes dry to soon, and does not get into tiny crevices that I want cleaned. Of course the pigment and chalk inks are more difficult to remove, just because they are thicker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Clear stamps are notorious for staining. I clean my stamps with a water/glycerin/dishsoap mix in a spray bottle and dry with an old towel. I have a large newsprint pad as a blotter/cushion and tap the clear stamps on the paper prior to inking to make sure any coloration is stain vs ink that will transfer. Especially important if you're laying your stamp on the cs for placement prior to inking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There's really no product you can use that would take off the staining completely without damaging the stamp itself. The reason why high-quality photopolymer stamps stain has to do with the porousness of the material. The photopolymer has these little microscopic grooves that absorb the pigment in high quality inks- this is what holds onto your ink so you can transfer it cleanly when you stamp. Both light and dark pigment gets into these grooves, only you notice it easier with dark inks (especially reds). Having the pigment in there just primes your stamp, giving you a smoother stamped image next time.

So, you don't need to get rid of the staining - just the surface pigment so your stamp stamps cleanly. Absorber (or Lawn Fawn's Shammy) work great for this - you can combine it with a gentle stamp cleaner. And you can test it by stamping the stamp onto some scratch paper. If there's a faint impression, there's still surface ink. If not, your stamp is clean and good to go.

Of course, the staining does make your stamps look used - but that's not a bad thing. There are definite benefits - like being able to see through an acrylic block to stamp it easier and not losing it when it falls on the floor after a long stamping session...

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone for the input. I guess I probably need to be more organized and that may be part of the issue. I don't have a lot of space and I think if I could leave out my cleaning supplies it might be easier. I am always reorganizing but it looks like I might need to do some more. I guess I am doing everything right which is good to know. I hate the staining on brand new stamps but am glad to know that doesn't mean they are dirty. I do like the absorber but it gets dirty so fast. I am going to try and reorganize today and see if leaving out my scrubber and spray helps. Does anyone know if the hero arts ultra is safe to use....it leaves such as greasy film afterwards"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hero Arts ultra clean is safe to use on photopolymer stamps. The part that feels greasy if you touch it with your fingertips is a conditioner for the stamps (I think it's mainly for rubber stamps, but someone correct me if I'm wrong). You can remove it by washing your stamps and blocks with water and a very mild soap. But it also doesn't hurt your stamps to just stay on there if you're feeling lazy.

I, personally, use the Ranger Inkssentials water-based cleaner instead. The Hero Arts cleaner was out of stock when I bought the Ranger one, and it's pretty good - especially in combination with the Absorber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

It is often said the mark of a good quality clear stamp is that it stains. Thanks for the explanation Elle-I didnt know that much detail about it.

I know. It isnt pretty-but is a good thing as said above. Takes a little getting used to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I make my own cleaning solution with glycerin, water and a little squirt of baby wash in a spray bottle. I have a stamp scrubber with a stamp scrubber refill. I open my scrubber container and on the bottom half section of the left side, I spray a bit of my cleaning solution.. on the top half, I just pour a little water.. and then I put the stamp scrubber refill on the right side of the open container... (I hope all this makes sense.. let me know and I can get pics if you'd like.) The right side stays dry. So basically, I have wash, rinse and dry. So far, so good. Some of my stamps have stains, but I've read that is totally acceptable... it used to drive me crazy.. lol Now, I just... let it go. ;)
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 02:16 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Ok since I have already confessed this before...99% of the time I just 'stamp it off' on scrap paper, the only time I clean with any kind of solution is if I am using a different colour, and even then not always:oops::oops:

I find I get better 'catch' of the ink on slightly used stamps lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 02:57 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I generally give mine a wipe with a baby wipe and dry off on a towel. When I bother at all. I reckon if not cleaning stamps is Ok for Tim Holtz, then it's good enough for me too. As Elle says, most good quality photopolymer stamps will stain, it's just the nature of the beast.
the only thing I use sometimes to clean Rubber stamps with a lot of detail is a paint pad! Available I would think from your Dollar stores, as I got mine from one of out pound stores. In the DIY section- the ones for applying paint. Look for the sort with a 'fluffy' pad, they work better than the smooth ones. Works exactly like a paint scrubbie at a fraction of the price. With that, I use a homemade recipe cleaner that I found on here. Baby wash, distilled water and a squirt of glycerine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 04:24 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I use non alcohol baby wipes. I have a SU scrubber. It works great but I don't use it. I like the ease of wipes.

I bought a lawn fawn shammy and used it about three times. It worked fine. I just seem to go for the wipes instead of wetting the shammy.

I do have SU spray cleaner and I use it on occasion. It works well. I just find I really don't need it.

I don't mind if my rubber stamps stain. I try to keep my SU PP from staining. It does seem to help if I stamp in a light color a few times first...like yellow or pale pink.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 10-07-2016 at 04:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 07:04 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 509 Likes on 229 Posts

I've begun cleaning my photopolymer with Dawn and a toothbrush. It's always handy and there is no residual ink left on the stamp. I think I started that because of the mess that versamark makes that can't be seen too well on the PP. I'm careful to rinse thoroughly when I'm done.

I haven't heard it mentioned very much recently here on the forums, but Suave Tropical Coconut Shampoo does a great job cleaning residual ink (especially versamark) from stamps. It's cheap and works great. It appears it is still available at Target.

Many of my stamps are stained, with reds (and any color with red in it) and black being the worst offenders. It's inevitable.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 10-07-2016 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2016, 03:32 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

As some of the most respected and well known card makers have said in various ways, a stained stamp is a quality stamp - it takes ink well. Plus you can see the stamp image better.

I stamp ink off onto scratch paper, and then use a shammy, sometimes a bit of Hero Arts Ultra Clean, or occasionally Kirkland (Costco) baby wipes since they don't shed. (Kirklands are available on line; visiting Costco is not high on the enjoyment scale.)

I don't use Stazon ink, so no other cleaning is needed. Maybe once in the last few months I used a drop of Dawn on a couple detailed stamps that I managed to get really mucked up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I have used baby wipes, but more recently Lawn Fawn's shammy thing - which I do prefer.
I have used in the past SU's scrubber, but it's too much effort lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a small spray bottle (8 oz.), which I filled with water, then added a few drops of dishwashing liquid. I spray the used stamp on the block, give it a swish with an old toothbrush, and then rinse it off. Works beautifully, except when I use Staz-On. Then I have to use an actual stamp cleaner product, and rub it with my fingers until the ink comes off. It works, too, but I love the spray.
Reply With Quote Likes