Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default substitutes for supplies

i am way behind on trends and slowly catching up but i have always loved using a substitute for some things.some are the same product but found at places we dont think of like buying cork at lowes.rubber gaskets to make shadow stamps also at lowes.
i used to help with VBS and instead of popsicle sticks i used milk jug knockouts.they could be used to spread the glue and also as an excellent bone folder.
this is the extra piece of plastic in the milk jug handle.usually found in the cooler on the floor .ask for them and used to be they would save them for me so each child had one.
what are some of your substitutes?
br3n
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I swiped the spoons from my granddaughter's tea set....They fit inside the plactic containers that I keep my embossing powders in. I'm a bad grandma!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've cut up the styrofoam packaging pieces (about 1/2" thick and any width because you can cut it down) glued/sticky taped it to framing mat board (could use cereal box cardboard also) to use when piercing holes for brads, sewing string, etc. Works like the SU mat kit but can be any size.

Use plastic canvas toget evenly spaced holes.

Use the acrylic packaging from CB embosiong folder to stick unmounted stamps to when storing (use Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper so the corners aren't sharp - the individual corner rounders really aren't strong enough. I tried and thought I would break the punch).

My niece gives me the plastic containers the dog treats come in and I remove the labels and use it to store short lengths of ribbon. Wash them out and rinse them out with baking soda and water to remove the scent of the treats.

Use the large plastic salad containers to store extra spools of ribbon. They are clear so I can see the colors I have.

Use a Target $1 bin travel dog bowl for trash when I go to workshops/classes. Sometimes use the plastic containers prepared food comes in since most often, they are recycleable-can throw everything into the recycle bin. Can also use emptied facial tissue boxes/cereal boxes/any recycleable container.

Use the plastic covers from flavored coffee containers to hold small embellishments after I've counted them out for use on cards. Have one of these covers in my workshop tool bag. Save the brighly colored ones because they are easier to see among the 'stuff' that gets spread out. Have stuck glittery stickers on the inside also as an 'eye catcher'.

As you can see, I have a hard time throwing anything away. My daughter, sister and niece know that I try to re-purpose things before I throw them out!

Oops, sorry I got carried away--
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

not a bad grandma,sounds smart hehehe
lots of neat info and this triggered another memory for me on the plastic canvas,i used to do parchment crafting and i lost my net to measure the spacing for the holes so i tried 10 cnt round plastic canvas and while not exact it was workable.
ty for that reminder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lori,

You can use the small plastic spoons that ice cream stores use for samples and give your granddaughter back her tea set spoons! <grin>

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneFXView Post
Lori,

You can use the small plastic spoons that ice cream stores use for samples and give your granddaughter back her tea set spoons! <grin>
Her mother would prefer that I keep them. Grand kid isn't too good about picking up after herself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Double-sided foam insulation tape is a lot cheaper at Home Depot than the double-sided foam craft tape at Michaels - and it works even better.

Coffee mugs with small cracks (which can no longer be used for hot liquids) work great for holding small misc items you use all the time (#2 pencil, good pen for addressing env, repositioning pick, etc)

Our florist wraps flowers in this lovely see through material that has a silver lacy swirl over it. I've made tons of cards by repurposing that. Use it to cover a blank white piece of cardstock (folding over the back and gluing on the back) and then adhering that to the front of the card. Beautiful. Also found a few other neat things in floral outlet - like thin gold & silver wire. Much cheaper than the stuff craft stores. And if you buy a big spray of small flower florals you can cut off the flowers and sometimes its still cheaper than buying the flower embelishments at Michaels.

Also - last year in October I found a big bunch of that year's calendars that the store just gave me (no cost). I cut them apart and used the numbers for lots and lots of things (Anniversaries, birthdays, fun "counting" cards for kids, etc). Also used the months separately (seasonal and birth/anniver) and then used parts of the photos as backround for other cards. That was a real find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

cheap cosmetics are a good source. nail polish, lipstick and eye shadows all work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

$1 store makeup sponges as daubers, craft foam sheet + FabriTac= cheap Pop Dots (and can be used in large sheets if needed), inkpad case as an acrylic stamping block, and I get old books free at the Public Library (they used to sell them, now they just throw them away). I also get the following at the $ store- colored paper clips, bullnose paper clips, pencils and notepads (to alter), tupperware-type containers to store supplies in, and baby wipes for clean-up.
Cheap charms and beads can be found at garage sales... look for the big, snarled ball of costume jewelry LOL
If a friend crafts, split large orders, or buy one of the thing and split the cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a few bottles of pearl fabric paint. I used them like liquid pearls on a couple cards. I think they're only about $2.50 a bottle compared to about $7 a bottle for the liquid pearls (at least here they're that much).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I had a few bottles of pearl fabric paint. I used them like liquid pearls on a couple cards. I think they're only about $2.50 a bottle compared to about $7 a bottle for the liquid pearls (at least here they're that much).
Thanks, I've quite a few of those bottles left from years ago when making sweatshirts into works of art (Wink) was the thing to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

lots of neat advice.i sure appreciate the help.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
LOL i have some clear fabric paint I used as 'crystal effects'. I think the brand is Tulip.... funny enough, the 'fabric' paints seem so much better on paper. They always cracked on my tshirts when i washed them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #14  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

I don't use a fancy distressing tool...I use a BUTTER KNIFE to distress the edges of my paper! It works, is safe, and FREE!

I don't use fancy grid paper to stamp on...I use cheep 11" x 17" copy paper...

I don't use a tray to "catch" embossing powder...I just put the embossing powder in a shallow cheapo Sterlite container and close it up.

I cut up cheapo sponges from the Dollar STore for my "daubers!"

I use inexpensive 3M double sided tape instead of expensive tape runners.

Instead of using a brayer for projects- I have RA and it's virtually impossible for me to get the roller to evenly cover the paper, I use a piece of sand paper to lightly remove color from designer papers! This is REALLY easy, and other colors can be sponged in!

I use a sanding block to remove "over-stamps," fingerprints and outright boo boos from cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

havent read the whole thread on the what does the letters mean but havent found RA yet
i am brayer deficit and have never gotten a good result with them.the 3 m tape idea is neat sounding and the knife for distressing sounds especially interesting.forgive if my memory is wrong but we used to think our paper was ruint if it had a damaged edge. hehehe
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

great thread ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Subbing to come back later and read the posts BTW- great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie's momView Post

I don't use fancy grid paper to stamp on...I use cheep 11" x 17" copy paper...

I use a sanding block to remove "over-stamps," fingerprints and outright boo boos from cards.
A lot of you are way too young to remember when computer paper came in a stack, all attached, with holes on the side and perferation marks to tear off the individual sheets. I have a LOT of it. That is what I use instead of grid paper. I am so glad to find a use for it and get it out of the house.

What a great idea to sand off boo boos! I am going to try that next time I goof.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do believe that RA is Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I reuse the clear acrylic that comes with so many craft items, this is great for windows and putting through the embossing folders. Some of these, like what my dimensional adhesive comes in can be used for shaker windows.

My dimensional adhesive is bought in the hardware section of my "local" grocery store. I know it's cheaper than what we get at the craft stores and the scotch stuff.

I use used printer paper for my stamping surface. I do have to be careful when throwing it away (recycle bin) though, since there may be private info on the sheets.

Have fun and be creative!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

thanks for RA terminology.
old computer paper,i have 3 boxes i think of it and use it for VBS and anything i can find to use it up.it is good for granddaughter to draw and color on so she doesnt get into the cardstock.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

This has become one of my favorite threads. I'm a real cheapo and thought I'd come up with nearly every shortcut to save a dime - but you ladies are awesome. I'm humbled and thrilled to learn more from the rest of you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I found those clear lids from canisters of Pringles work great for watercoloring with Aquapainters and bottles of reinkers. I can label them with a Sharpie marker if the colors are difficult to tell apart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Smile

Some more ideas off the top of my head........

There is usually a clear CD (at top or bottom - some brands both) when you buy a container of them - I use them for a watercolor palette -

recycling the international coffee containers for this years gifts..........

baby wipes a definite to clean stamps......

cylinder containers like Crystal lite - for pencil holders........

I buy my tape runner refills at WalMart - $1.25 ea - (which I am hoping seeing that they are making the craft area smaller and smaller they will continue to carry!)

the little containers from Wendy's that you put ketchup in for water when water coloring........

magnetic vent covers from Home Depot - to make books to hold my nesties or magnetic bookmarks - cheaper than buying them from an office supply store or Wally's

after Christmas bought tons of butter cookie tins for 25 cents each planning to decorate the tops and reuse for cookie gifts...........

I do buy large sponges at the dollar store to chop up for daubers

glad sandwich size plastic containers to store my embossing powders in with a plastic spoon........

silica gel packets from shoes and pocketbooks - put these in the embossing powder containers and card photo boxes to keep the moisture out.......

small tackle or nail boxes found at dollar tree to store brads and eyelets in..........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardLadyTooView Post
Some more ideas off the top of my head........

I buy my tape runner refills at WalMart - $1.25 ea - (which I am hoping seeing that they are making the craft area smaller and smaller they will continue to carry!)

I do too. I haven't been able to find them in the WM I go to most often for groceries. Went to another WM yesterday that used to have a large craft area and did not see them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am subbing too. Thanks for the great thread. I use tops from my vitamin bottles to hold beads and small embellishments as I am working with them.

I make my own "glue ink pad" by using a large foam brush, adding some Aleene's Tacky Glue. I use my finger to spread it on the brush. Instant glue ink pad and it works perfect.

I use an old toothbrush to wipe away glitter or embossing powder leftovers.

I use butter lids for paint and coloring palettes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a darning needle as a poker, my tracing wheel for a row of Faux stitching, I have my EP in plastic storage boxes from Big Lots. I kept looking for small scoops or small plastic spoons I couldn't find any. I was at an estate sale and they had 4 old silverplated demitasse spoons for $1.50. I now have the world's nicest spoons for my EP! I have several wooden boxes I got at estate sales for storing all my BS dies. They look good and work great. I just found clear acrylic desktop file boxes at Target for $7 each. They are perfect on their sides to hold all my new colors of SU CS. And they are just too clean and tidy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I am going to have to try that tracing wheel for faux stitching. I went and dug it out of my sewing basket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I have a cute flower pot with all my favorite tools. I have two tracing wheels in different styles in my lil' flower pot. Tracing wheels are one of the best kept paper crafting treasures in the world. I got both of them for free.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

I keep the brown packing paper that comes in my online orders (SU, PTI, etc) and let the kids stamp on it to make their own recycled "green" wrapping paper. I also use it to cover my desk whent they want to paint or do other messy things.

I also used "quilted" canning jars in my studio. $7 for a dozen of them at Walmart but I bet you could easily find tons of used (but clean) ones at thrift stores and yard sales.

I keep some of the plastic sheeting that most things seem to come packaged in these days and run it through my Big Shot with an embossing folder. It really makes a neat affect. Or you can die cut it to make your own "ghost images" or acrylic accents.

That's it for me. I'm not very frugal this way. Most things get tossed or recycled since I can't stand to have it around cluttering up the place. :oops:

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I have a cute flower pot with all my favorite tools. I have two tracing wheels in different styles in my lil' flower pot. Tracing wheels are one of the best kept paper crafting treasures in the world. I got both of them for free.
So... what do you use the tracing wheels for? Do you have pics? I use one to create "stitching holes" then put white marker between to look like the stitching lines. What else can you do with them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 367 Likes on 269 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldumont999View Post
Double-sided foam insulation tape is a lot cheaper at Home Depot than the double-sided foam craft tape at Michaels - and it works even better.
Are you talking about those 3M mounting squares or is there a special insulation tape that is double sided? I looked at Home Depot and asked around but didn't see anything except the roll of that mounting tape...where do you find it?? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

was sorting out some things that had been packed away and found an item that i hadnt heard mentioned yet.ice scraper.the small size is great for when you need to glue a lot of paper down.it takes a little getting used to so you dont tear but after a few times it is very easy.the one that has foam on one edge is great for tissue papers.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Neat thread. I use a coupon holder for my nestabilities storage, but I didn't come up with the idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

So... what do you use the tracing wheels for? Do you have pics? I use one to create "stitching holes" then put white marker between to look like the stitching lines. What else can you do with them?
I also use them for paper piercing. You can ink up your tracing wheel, run the wheel across your card and you have faux stitching. Take a piece of foam, use a bit of pressure and you can piece your paper so you can do thread stitching. I have also used my tracing wheels to make quit perforated paper.

Tracing Wheels are a lot of fun to make quirky designs on card. I have a good steady hand with them so I can make fancy curves, scrolls, flourishes, etc...

I checked my Photobucket account and I don't have any cards with examples. I always forget to take pictures of my cards.

HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 AM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Tracing Wheel

Quote:

I recently made wedding invitations using paper 6" x 12". It folded up and could be mailed without an envelope. The bottom part of the invite was a tear off RSVP postcard to mail to the bride. My grandmother's tracing wheel was perfect to score the tear off section.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeps321View Post
Are you talking about those 3M mounting squares or is there a special insulation tape that is double sided? I looked at Home Depot and asked around but didn't see anything except the roll of that mounting tape...where do you find it?? Thanks.
These are not squares. It is one continuous roll and you just cut off pieces as you need them. It is Scotch� Double-Sided Foam Mounting Tape & it comes in 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch. This stuff holds like nothing else.
~blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2010, 05:31 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

I use the Starbucks coffee bottles to store my flowers and embellishments. I bought a cheap plumbers gasket kit at wallmart for the rubber mat for my CB. I also buy the magnetic sheets for covering heating vents at Wallmart and cut them and use them for storing my nesties inside CD cases. I store all my punches in three-drawer plastic containers from Wallmart...they are the kind that fit on TOP of a desk, not the big ones. I label the drawers..circles, borders,etc. I use empty SU stamp containers for glitter...less mess that way. The larger size I use for my spots. I find lots of ideas on Utube for making your own stamp cleaners and mist sprays.

Last edited by lhs43; 07-22-2010 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: missed a sentance
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

I use the little plastic spoons from the individual ice cream for my ep. It was one of the good ice cream's (sorry don't remember the brand) and had a little spoon with it.

Meow mix cat food sells a box of individual servings. The individual servings are plastic containers with a foil top. I save those containers and use them any time I need a container for water or whatnot. They don't melt in the dishwasher, so I can use them forever. Also, the individual caramel dip containers (for apples) work great too - they come 4 or 6 to a pack.

I use a SU clam shell case for my ep - don't have to worry about pouring it back into the jar.

I use the cardboard back off of legal pads for chip board.

I use cereal boxes, and other boxes, with my CB. My B plate is pretty cut up and I have found that a thin piece of cardboard keeps my CS from getting the impression from all of the prior cuts. If I want to emboss with my Nesties I just add a few more layers of cereal boxes or use my plumbers mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 05:34 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Where I work the small binder clips (from staples) come in 2" high, 2.5" diameter round disposable plastic containers. I've be saving them for a while hoping to come up with a good craft or two. I did, but we go through tons of these, so I've also been using them to store my brads, buttons, etc by color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

~The cut off rubber from Stampin' Up stamps can be used as 3D dimensionals. That was one of my all time favorite tips as we know how much rubber we accumulate after trimming!

~My biggest 'rigged' item - a photo 'light' box to take pictures of my cards using a Nabisco 26 pack 100 calorie box! {Yes, I've put myself at risk for being dubbed a true dumpster diver although it never made it to the recycling bin.}
For anyone wanting to know, it is the easiest project! This box is ideal since the inside of the box is already lined in white. My picture taking has improved and I saved the $ that I would have otherwise spent on a real photo tent.
Supplies needed: the box, a white piece of material, and an exacto knife or good pair of scissors. Very easy, I would love to share the tutorial if anyone is interested. You can see my cards on my blog HERE.
Awesome thread, I love recycling!
Reply With Quote Likes