Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 AM   #121  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sillybird
All I can say from a UKer point of view is that compared to what we all have to pay in the UK, SU's prices in the States are fabulous even with a 5% increase. As much as I cannot wait for SU to hit our shores, (me sitting here biting my nails in anticipation) I am also worried about how much SU's stuff is going to cost us to purchase cause I am dang sure it won't be as cheap as you all get it in the US. So maybe from that point you can all see how cheap you get it in the US and that is across the papercrafting board. We have to pay through the nose for crafting stuff in the UK, ie the latest papers, primas, latest gagets etc etc, I would give my granny to live in the US (and thats just to get the crafting materials!!!) he he

Our petrol prices have never never been cheap and everything else gas and electric is through the roof, along with our mortgage rates etc. Our wage increases are crap!!! (sorry but they are) and going up every single month at the moment, cause apparently people are relying on credit to much - have they ever wondered why people rely on credit, its because they keep hiking prices up all the blinking time!!!!!!!! Sorry rant over now
And our "sales tax" is 17.5%, they even have the cheek to call it Value Added Tax. And we NEVER and I mean NEVER get free shipping on anything! :mad:
Additional rant over!
PS Try paying nearly $10 for a gallon of gas! :rolleyes:

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #122  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by meisu4
I never charge my customers shipping. When I tell them that I absorb it myself they tend to purchase more goodies!
ACK!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #123  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
We have to charge tax on S & H in Michigan too...they already have the idea.:(
Where have I been, I must not of noticed. D'oh what a dork.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 06:13 AM   #124  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So when I buy SU I look at lots of things:
I have a darling Demo. She is a sweetheart, I know her daughter and husband. I am thrilled to have a portion of my $$ go to them. Not in a charity way, the girl works for it! She deserves it, I'm just happier to do business with a person I KNOW. I'm sure my SU demo gets a greater portion of my stamping dollars than that snarky (or even the friendly one) girl at HL or Michaels. So that makes me happy.

SU as a company is a mastermind at marketing and they DESERVE the money they get. I generally buy unmounted too so it's like twice the price for me but they have this way of making me think I NEED certain sets. It's like stamp crack or something, I have to have them. So I carefully select and purchase.

They have great quality stuff. Especially the paper, I will always be a SU customer as long as they have that great cardstock.

That being said, I do love to buy TAC because it's cheaper. I don't care at all about wood blocks so for me it's a better deal.

AND I'm a sucker for free shipping. I think the main way they are getting you with that is that you have such a strong incentive to get X amount of dollars. Take Papertrey. I have only wanted the original word set so far, I can't buy just that! It's not free shipping. So I waited, now I need this ladybug one too, STILL not free shipping, so I'm buying accessories that I'll enjoy but would not have purchased to make up for it. See, they got me! heehee

Also 5% isn't very much at all and that is a .5% as in .005 increase in shipping. I can handle that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #125  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineMama
ACK!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My thoughts exactly... I erased two replies... If she wants to give away half her income, that's her business. I work too hard for the 20% I earn on sales to give half of it back as free shipping... comes out of my pocket, not SU's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 06:48 AM   #126  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketOHearts
I don't understand why SU makes these annoucements. Pottery Barn, Lands End, Michaels, etc. do NOT make announcements when they raise prices. If the new catalog came out, and they didn't mention it, I'm not sure many people would notice. Or they could phase in one at a time over each of the seasonal catalogs, since they are switching to that format.
I believe this announcement was for demos to let them know what is happening with their company. Demos would not have to share the information with their customers, but someone has shared it so now it is public information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 06:57 AM   #127  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ally
And our "sales tax" is 17.5%, they even have the cheek to call it Value Added Tax. And we NEVER and I mean NEVER get free shipping on anything! :mad:
Additional rant over!
PS Try paying nearly $10 for a gallon of gas! :rolleyes:

Here here, I totally agree and you are sooooo right, its disgusting what the UK government get away with!!!

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:12 AM   #128  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm glad someone brought it up cuz I was thinking of it. It seems there are a lot more new sets in the $22.95-$28.95 range than ever before (this catty), ones that might have been more like $19.95 or $17.95. So I disagree with the company's statement that they have not raised prices, etc. They haven't done it with ALL new sets, but they've hidden a cost hike, it seems, in certain sets, one being Artfully Asian at $22.95 for 5 stamps. I want that set SO bad, but it doesn't seem like a good deal at all, so I hold off. And Flower Fest for $34.95? WOW. That's really high, too, for what you get, when you consider Petal Prints is $26.95 and Bodacious Boquet are $28.95.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #129  
Matboard Maniac

I totally agree with stampaholic! If SU! offered the block seperately, that would reduce the cost of shipping and raw materials. I honestly don't think 10% for shipping is very expensive. I just placed a Pampered Chef order, and my shipping was 15% PLUS $2.00! Considering the weight of paper and wood blocks, my CDO's shipping costs are very reasonable. Someone pointed out that On a $1000 party, shipping combined totals $100. Yes, to put it in that light, it does seem expensive, and it doesn't cost them $100 to ship that box out, but that is how the whole industry works.

As for the 5% increase...I can totally understand them doing that. It won't stop my from buying!! (I'm sure my demo is happy to hear that!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #130  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
What really makes it bad, on top of that, is the sales tax rate is DIFFERENT in every county!!! It's not one rate across the state!

So, I pay 8.3% in Island County, but Skagit County is 7.8 or 7.9% if I recall correctly, and then there's folks where it's closer to 8.7%, I think! :shock:

OUCH!
Illinois is different in each city and sometimes in different parts of the city there is a different amt. It's enough to drive ya bonkers!! We shouldn't be mad at SU, we should be mad at uncle sam, and his cronies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #131  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin K
So when I buy SU I look at lots of things:
I have a darling Demo. She is a sweetheart, I know her daughter and husband. I am thrilled to have a portion of my $$ go to them. Not in a charity way, the girl works for it! She deserves it, I'm just happier to do business with a person I KNOW. I'm sure my SU demo gets a greater portion of my stamping dollars than that snarky (or even the friendly one) girl at HL or Michaels. So that makes me happy.

this is why I also do a lot of business with either home party based companies whose demos I know. Or with handcrafters/artists, for gifts and such things, cause I'm tired of going into huge stores and finding EVERYTHING MADE IN CHINA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #132  
Stampin' Fool

The cost of everything goes up and it is never an easy pill to swallow. When a friend at work showed me the SU catty last year, it peaked my interest. I did think they were EXPENSIVE. Because it did peak my interest I started doing my own research and found out how wrong I was. One stamp could cost you 8, 9, 10 + dollars!! I liked the idea of the sets that worked together, then the papers, embellies, inks, etc, etc...all coordinated. Didn't have to run around trying to match colors and coordinate everyting. The other thing I noticed was many sold different ink pads but not the reinkers. All in all SU pricing is not that bad (consider the gas to do all that shopping). Now there is one thing I don't like.....I can't walk into a store front and buy my SU candy. I have always disliked having to order anything from any company and then wait on it to be shipped..but I'm hooked, like SU products and stamp SETS so I will keep ordering. Companies do have to make a profit or they wouldn't be around for us to buy from, that's just the way it is. I didn't know in OH we had to pay tax on S&H until I ordered from SU. This is a total rip off by the states(s) that do this IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:19 AM   #133  
Matboard Maniac

Cynamom, you are so right!! Although I tend to buy in the $23-$25 range, sometimes it seems like a lot for only one set of stamps. If you could buy the block seperately, they could charge less, and get more "occasional" stampers, and those who don't like to spend more than $10-$20 on a set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #134  
Gabfest Goddess

KC... I know. I always thought one way for SU to really make some good money would be to offer the set price like they do, but also offer a single stamp price (which would be higher). So say in my case, Artfully Asian. I don't really want or need the whole thing, but I like the longer twig with the flowers, that's really all I want. So sell it individually for say $9. They make a killing (bigger percentage than selling the set) and they make ME happy. I suppose this goes along with the line of thinking of selling the wood blocks separately. You can have them if you WANT, but you don't have to pay for stuff you don't need or won't use. I totally agree with that as an option, but I also like the single stamp idea. I agree 100 percent that it is COOL that SU sells such nice, coordinating sets, but to be honest, that's not what kind of stamper I am... I tend to stamp using like ONE stamp and then embellishing or layering, and in lots of my sets, half of more have NEVER touched ink because I did not want those stamps. And in my case it DOES keep me from buying their stuff because what I usually do is swap images for what I need, and I see lots of people making the same requests, "Can anyone stamp 20 of this or that for me" ... rather than buying the whole set. I bet lots of those people WOULD buy the individual stamp!

OK... I'm glad this all came up, nice forum to discuss!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:34 AM   #135  
Matboard Maniac

Yeah, single stamps options would be awesome too!! There are several sets that are 28.95 or more that I have not gotten yet because I can't justify spending that much money and using one stamp. But, unless I want to pay 5% more, I'd better break down and get them before July!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:41 AM   #136  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR

The only gripe I've had is that my state (WA), requires us to pay sales tax not only on the product, but, on all S & H fees, too . . . :?

That drives me nuts. It aggravates me every time I order! Of course, doing my taxes also aggravates me... I still do it, I just don't have to like it! Dang taxes!

As for the increase, hasn't inflation gone up more than 5% in the past 10 years? If the dollar is worth less now than five years ago (which it is, especially in European markets), and if it's worth more than 5% less than 10 years ago, then even with the increase we're paying less for the same stamp set (or same size set) than we would have 10 years ago. So, and increase really isn't an increase in the grand scheme of things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #137  
Kookie Creator

pegg,

I am a demo in MA and we do not charge tax on S&H.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #138  
Insane Embellisher

I work in a factory and we are periodically raising our prices on the products we make. You have to consider how many semi loads of supplies companies get in each day, etc., and how many shipments going out the door everyday. In one shift alone, my company sends out between 8-10 semi loads (from floor to ceiling) of product. And a semi costs hundreds of dollars to fill with gas. Then add in labor and operating costs. I agree with whoever said that it is one less thing to buy at the dollar store. I'd rather be giving SU! my hard earned $$ than the chain stores (except Walm@rt) where the ladies can be SOOO snooty! SU! has to pay their bills too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #139  
Mad Swapper

I think we need to keep this all in perspective here. This is a hobby, a luxury for all of us. If you can't afford it then don't buy it. I make sure my bills are paid, my kids are fed (organic and healthy which isn't cheap) and I'm not scaping the bottom of the barrel to get gas money. Its a choice we make to stamp or scrapbook or what ever other craft you may be into. No one really has the right to complain that the prices are going up a measley 5%. That is really small compared to the cost of gas, energy, food even. SU just like every other business is being affected by outside costs and no company is going to take a cut in profits to appease its demos or consultants forever. Its just not good business sense. They way I look at it is that its more money for me and a quicker route to hostess benefits.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #140  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampaholic2004
Considering the cost of raw materials AND shipping, I WISH they would offer the option to buy the rubber stamp sets minus the wood blocks. The packages would be lighter, and use less raw materials...That is the only thing I would change about SU. I think 5% is reasonable, even with all my stuff, I know it's cheaper than therapy!

I totally agree with this. I hate having the wood, why do people buy it?

The Canadian Catalog prices have always been higher than just what the exchange rate would warrent. But the shipping in Canada is reasonable as far as I am concerned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #141  
Die Cut Diva

Something else to keep in mind with the price increase is that instant income will be a little higher as well, so it's not like the demonstrators are really losing out on anything. Raising prices is a fact of life.
~Isaiah 41:10
Sarah
My Gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #142  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa Hannant
I think we need to keep this all in perspective here. This is a hobby, a luxury for all of us. If you can't afford it then don't buy it.

Melissa

So true. I think we all need to be thankful that we can afford this hobby at whatever level we can.

course the need to be thankful doesn't mean we can't discuss what we think of a price increase. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #143  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegg
I just saw a story on the 11pm news that it's illegal in MA to charge tax on S&H.

I wasn't sure if this applied to SU orders. I wonder if I should tell my demo ??
State laws vary in that many require tax on shipping & handling. SU is merely a conduit in that they collect the appropriate tax and file the returns to transmit it. If your demo is erroneously collecting tax on S/H in your state which doesn't require it, you should definately let her know.

Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #144  
Gabfest Goddess

Erin,

That's why I really don't care about the increase, but I like the debate and discussion. I don't NEED SU at any point in my life, and lord knows I have enough... too much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 AM   #145  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yea me too. But it's fun to talk about it! heehee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #146  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa Hannant
I think we need to keep this all in perspective here. This is a hobby, a luxury for all of us. If you can't afford it then don't buy it. I make sure my bills are paid, my kids are fed (organic and healthy which isn't cheap) and I'm not scaping the bottom of the barrel to get gas money. Its a choice we make to stamp or scrapbook or what ever other craft you may be into. No one really has the right to complain that the prices are going up a measley 5%. That is really small compared to the cost of gas, energy, food even. SU just like every other business is being affected by outside costs and no company is going to take a cut in profits to appease its demos or consultants forever. Its just not good business sense. They way I look at it is that its more money for me and a quicker route to hostess benefits.

Melissa
WELL said Melissa, well said!!!
You can also look at it this way, DEMOS.....that 5% more you get to write off on your taxes. That is how I am going to look at it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #147  
Gabfest Goddess

SU really should do free shipping at a point, because most companies do. Say orders of $75 and over? Something to consider. I know it is a selling point for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #148  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenda s
State laws vary in that many require tax on shipping & handling. SU is merely a conduit in that they collect the appropriate tax and file the returns to transmit it. If your demo is erroneously collecting tax on S/H in your state which doesn't require it, you should definately let her know.

Glenda
SO true! I think many people don't realize that Stampin Up isn't the entity charging the sales tax...it's the individual states. If SU wants to do business in a state, it's required to collect and fork over the tax that state charges. SU has no say in it whatsoever.

It's the same issue with hostess benefits. In Washington state, there is no tax on hostess benefits, either the stamp sets or the free merchandise. Some state DO want SU to collect tax though, at least on the free merchandise, if not on both. Now THAT really stinks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #149  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynamom
SU really should do free shipping at a point, because most companies do. Say orders of $75 and over? Something to consider. I know it is a selling point for me.
Me too, but they kinda already do. For example, on a $150 order (where shipping, excluding tax of course, would be $15), you get $15 of free product. It's similar to offering free shipping, but instead you get free stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #150  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar T. Grouch
I totally agree with this. I hate having the wood, why do people buy it?

The Canadian Catalog prices have always been higher than just what the exchange rate would warrent. But the shipping in Canada is reasonable as far as I am concerned.
Well, I would guess some buy it because they like it? I guess if they didn't, they wouldn't?

I personally prefer a WM Ruby Red, over UM, or clear, however, I AM STAMPER!!! (roar!) If I love an image, and it's deeply etched/stamps well, I'll take it any way I can get it! ;) *chuckle*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #151  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
SO true! I think many people don't realize that Stampin Up isn't the entity charging the sales tax...it's the individual states. If SU wants to do business in a state, it's required to collect and fork over the tax that state charges. SU has no say in it whatsoever.

It's the same issue with hostess benefits. In Washington state, there is no tax on hostess benefits, either the stamp sets or the free merchandise. Some state DO want SU to collect tax though, at least on the free merchandise, if not on both. Now THAT really stinks!
ITA. Grrrr! :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #152  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

KC... I know. I always thought one way for SU to really make some good money would be to offer the set price like they do, but also offer a single stamp price (which would be higher). So say in my case, Artfully Asian. I don't really want or need the whole thing, but I like the longer twig with the flowers, that's really all I want. So sell it individually for say $9. They make a killing (bigger percentage than selling the set) and they make ME happy. I suppose this goes along with the line of thinking of selling the wood blocks separately. You can have them if you WANT, but you don't have to pay for stuff you don't need or won't use. I totally agree with that as an option, but I also like the single stamp idea. I agree 100 percent that it is COOL that SU sells such nice, coordinating sets, but to be honest, that's not what kind of stamper I am... I tend to stamp using like ONE stamp and then embellishing or layering, and in lots of my sets, half of more have NEVER touched ink because I did not want those stamps. And in my case it DOES keep me from buying their stuff because what I usually do is swap images for what I need, and I see lots of people making the same requests, "Can anyone stamp 20 of this or that for me" ... rather than buying the whole set. I bet lots of those people WOULD buy the individual stamp!

OK... I'm glad this all came up, nice forum to discuss!
This is interesting!

I've seen the flip side, where people are aghast at the price of a single stamp and refuse to pay it, no matter how much they like it/want it, because the pro-rated price per image in a set is such a great value, they just can't bring themselves to buy the single image, even if buying just it, is less expensive overall, than buying a set just to get the one image!

This kinda cracked me, cuz this perspective was from some individuals who have enough expendible income that they never have to "budget" their purchases and are able to buy anything and everything they want without batting an eye, as opposed to myself, who has never been in that position, financially.

Yes. Interesting! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #153  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikaren
Me too, but they kinda already do. For example, on a $150 order (where shipping, excluding tax of course, would be $15), you get $15 of free product. It's similar to offering free shipping, but instead you get free stuff!
There ya' go. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #154  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Personally I do not know of any direct selling/home party plan that offers free shipping to all. I know that some will offer free shipping to hostess on her personal order, but as a customer I've never received free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #155  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintrublu
I'd prefer a 5% increase in price to a decrease in quality any day! And honestly, with SU's costs rising, that's pretty much the choice they're faced with... I'm glad they're not going to compromise on thier great quality

I agree!! DH has already pointed out a few grocery items that are the same price or a little higher but have been decreased in size. The Poland Spring water bottle I think was slightly less than a gallon but in with all the gallon jugs and priced the same as the gallon, as well as a few other canned items and packaged items.

I would much rather they raise prices a bit then decrease quality or make them all 4 piece sets, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #156  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ

I have questioned my CTMH demo because they do charge tax on all free items. In fact, one month I earned the SOTM for free, but I had to pay tax and s&h, too!! My $100 order, with all the tax and s&h on my hostess benefits, cost me $140!! I don't know that I want to host again if I have to pay to get my benefits! I think someday CTMH will realize they have been over-charging, or maybe they already know. Maybe it is easier to charge everybody the same than it is to figure out which state has which rules.:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #157  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Yah, Vermont charges tax on S&H, too, as it is not just shipping, but handling, as well and therefore becomes a "service" that is taxable. Just another way for Uncle Sam to pad his pocket, as far as I'm concerned. ;)

When I started with SU back in 2001, VT didn't charge tax on S&H. We also had a lower tax rate. We've since jumped up 1% in state sales tax and now have to collect tax on S&H. It was annoying at first, but most people don't ask about it anymore. If they do, I just explain to them that handling is a taxable service and they're okay with it.
Tennessee does too plus our tax is 9.25% so by the time it's added on with the demo discount we actually pay a little over the total (although I'm not complaining because I could still be paying more!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #158  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default LOL @ "friends that match"

LOL, that's a good point! I have looked at the stamps at the craft stores, and while they do have some cute ones, I rarely buy them because I think they're too expensive. I do have a few, but I pretty much stick with SU. Plus, my big sis is a demo so I try to keep my business with her.

I agree, 5% isn't so bad in comparison to everything else that has gone up in price. But it is bound to happen - the medicaid provider agency I work for recently raised their operating fee by 1% and a few people complained - yet our operating fee is less than half of most agencies that do what we do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayo
I think it's amazing that the prices of the stamp sets are as low as they are. Where can you get 8 stamps for $28.00? That's only about $3.62 per stamp;)

1 stamp at Micheals and other craft stores is $8.00 and it doesnt come with friends that match it just right
~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #159  
Polyshrink Goddess

If the 5% is too much, then buy Martha Stewart stuff!!! ::ducking::
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #160  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Actually, if you look at most ALL other catalog companies (Oriental Trading, Victoria's Secret, L.L. Bean, Lands End, Paper Wishes, etc. etc. etc.), they all start at about 20% or MORE of your merchandise amount. Yes, I looked these up both online and in catalogs I have sitting next to my desk.

Lands End starts at $4.95 shipping for under $30 orders. The next step up is $6.95 for orders ranging from $30.01 to $65. While it may just be a tad over 10% at the $65 range, you're still stuck with paying $6.95 for a $40 order. That's roughly 17.5% shipping!

Times to Cherish, which is put out by Current, charges $3.99 for up to $10 in merchandise, then $4.99 from $10-$15 in merchandise, then $5.99 for $15-$25 in merchandise. That's a whopping 24% in shipping!

Oriental Trading charges $6.95 for up to $30. Then they charge $8.95 for $30.01-$60 in merchandise. It STARTS at 23.5% for shipping. If you order $30.50 in merchandise, you're paying 30.5% in shipping!

WOW! All of a sudden, SU's 10% is SMALL compared to those companies. And those wood blocks in those stamp sets are HEAVY!

I think a lot of people forget that SU products are catalog sale products just like Lands End products and other catalog products. SU shipping prices are actually BELOW the normal price range for catalog shipping prices. The weird thing is, most people don't think twice about paying the shipping charges when they order online or when they order out of a catalog. But ordering from SU is no different, really. It's being ordered out of a catalog and being shipped to us in the same way that the other by-mail merchandise is.
I wish Stampin Up would offer an additional shipping charge, so that when I place an order with my demo along with a group of people, I would have the option to have my stuff come directly to ME and not to my demo. I would happily pay extra for this additional service. I like my demo and all, but I really like the convenience of not having to remember to pick it up. I know Stampin Up will ship directly to my house if it's the only order my demo places, but I always order with a group of people; not individually.
Reply With Quote Likes