Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:13 PM   #81  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
I thought that direct sales companies saved us money because there is no storefront and the middle man is gone???
actually DSC (like SU!) offer you a personal service that you don't get with online stores or catalogs. you get someone who is able to show you how to use what you buy and give you ideas and methods that you might not do otherwise. DSC offer a party atmospere where you get the social aspect as well as the sales aspect. You don't get that "night out with the girls" when you buy online!!

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 PM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

unless you're stalking on SCS with your sistahs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #83  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineMama
The weird thing is, most people don't think twice about paying the shipping charges when they order online or when they order out of a catalog. But ordering from SU is no different, really. It's being ordered out of a catalog and being shipped to us in the same way that the other by-mail merchandise is.
Your 'most people' are different from my 'most people'. I think four or five or six times about shipping charges with any order I make. I have decided to not purchase from some estores at some times because of the shipping charges, and generally avoid catalogue shopping altogether because of this reason. I've read a fair number of posts by others who have similar feelings about shipping costs, and have even seen some threads dedicated to the topic. I find on the surface, ordering from SU is like ordering from any catalogue or estore, except with other stores I know if I wait or look around enough I will be able to find a deal that gives me a break on shipping, a certain % off an entire order, etc. I know SU offers some great incentives to normal customers like hostess sets, etc., but those incentives don't work well for every customer. JMO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:24 PM   #84  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Yes, but it wasn't an "across the board" increase like they're doing this year. That's what SU is talking about as far as the 10 years go.
Gotcha!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 PM   #85  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with genie1314 -- it seems to me that the price of many newer sets are about $3 dollars more than they may have been priced a year ago, so they may have been adjusting prices over the past year. It also appears that they are offering more $11.95 and $14.95 stamps -- perhaps to offer a greater number of "price points" and remain in the reach of all. Companies like SU that rely on repeat customer/addicts must really debate how to implement these changes! (I use UMs and this may cause me to look first at companies that do not provide blocks -- like TAC -- and keep prices a bit lower. I wish SU offered that option, but realize it would create expense in changed procedures. And don't want to add that debate to this one! I certainly won't stop buying SU...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #86  
Forum Fanatic

Wow! I've read almost every comment and my eyes are buggin' ! I am not going to cut my order because SU has announced a 5% increase on products. I love their stamps and I agree with the comment made about how cheap the individual stamp is when you break out the cost!
However, I also order from CTMH and they do not ship the heavy wooden blocks but their shipping to AK is 11.5%. Ouch! How heavy can that little plastic envelope be?? Finally, I live in a state of the union which is outside of the continental US SO that means most companies either will not ship to me at all OR they charge ridiculous rates!! I'm glad to get the heads up on the increase... maybe I will buy a little more before July 1.

My Gallery
and My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #87  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
The day Ed McMahon comes to my door with a giant cheque!!!
LOL! Geeze, ain't that the truth?! *chuckle*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #88  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by trefoil
From reading the comments here, I think that the companies that do free shipping are onto something. Like I said, they are still pricing things keeping in mind all of their expenses, including shipping, but we all like to feel like we're getting something free. I know that I'm drawn to places that offer "free shipping," even though I realize it isn't free, it's just charged at a different spot. It's just the feel-good aspect of the word "free."
JulieHRR made a most excellent post a little while back on how the $ limit on an order to get free shipping helps the vendor cut down on handling costs when orders are getting picked. She pointed out it doesn't take substantially longer to pick and process a larger order than a smaller order, so it is actually less time/expense spent by the company to process larger orders, and worth their while to encourage their customers to order above a certain dollar amount. So, I don't think we are all necessarily deluding ourselves into thinking free shipping is a good deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #89  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyesMom
Oh ick!!! Dont give Michigan any ideas.
What really makes it bad, on top of that, is the sales tax rate is DIFFERENT in every county!!! It's not one rate across the state!

So, I pay 8.3% in Island County, but Skagit County is 7.8 or 7.9% if I recall correctly, and then there's folks where it's closer to 8.7%, I think! :shock:

OUCH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #90  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
What really makes it bad, on top of that, is the sales tax rate is DIFFERENT in every county!!! It's not one rate across the state!

So, I pay 8.3% in Island County, but Skagit County is 7.8 or 7.9% if I recall correctly, and then there's folks where it's closer to 8.7%, I think! :shock:

OUCH!
And don't forget the different cities in the counties! Here in kent I have hostesses from 8.9 to 8.5% - so confusing!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #91  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks for the heads up; kind of you to share the info.!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #92  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Why is Washington on crack????????? Why don't they just make customers roll a die to determine the sales tax each time they make a purchase -- it would make about as much sense! :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #93  
Matboard Maniac

It may also make a difference that many online based stamp stores who do not follow the demo model do not charge state tax -- something that may make a difference to those in high tax states. (I look at the tax as a small price to pay for the teaching and service provided by my demo!)
Also the savings for UM usually comes from UM rubber not acrylics.
Anyway I actually have an unopened SU box in my foyer -- off to enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #94  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMoxie58
I agree with genie1314 -- it seems to me that the price of many newer sets are about $3 dollars more than they may have been priced a year ago, so they may have been adjusting prices over the past year. It also appears that they are offering more $11.95 and $14.95 stamps -- perhaps to offer a greater number of "price points" and remain in the reach of all. Companies like SU that rely on repeat customer/addicts must really debate how to implement these changes! (I use UMs and this may cause me to look first at companies that do not provide blocks -- like TAC -- and keep prices a bit lower. I wish SU offered that option, but realize it would create expense in changed procedures. And don't want to add that debate to this one! I certainly won't stop buying SU...
I completely agree. When I toss the wood anyway, I hate to pay more and more year after year when UM's and really quality clear stamps give you so many more stamps. It ain't the wood that makes my cards look pretty I just bought the new Little Lady from PaperTrey. $15 for that set is a real deal, comes with the CD to store it in, is accompanied by a box that makes a gorgeous gift box for cards, and my shipping was free because I stocked up on other items and also wanted to try their white paper. When I can pay $15 for a set with quite a number of very versatile stamps, and pay NO tax, shipping, or handling---well, my business is headed other directions in a very big way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #95  
Die Cut Diva

Yep, saving the tax along with handling and shipping on top of that with some companies like Paper Trey makes them very, very appealing to me. Additionally, they ship so fast I have them within 48 hours or actually about 36 hours last time. I have to wait on a demo and my orders can take up to 10 days to get!!! I count that as part of my "cost" too. I like my toys really fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #96  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Why is Washington on crack????????? Why don't they just make customers roll a die to determine the sales tax each time they make a purchase -- it would make about as much sense! :P
I'll admit, it's one of those things that makes me gnash my teeth . . . I can understand, and accept, S & H fees and sales tax on product, but, when they tack the sales tax onto the S & H fees to boot AND, depending on where you live it can be even higher (!), well, I'm afraid my hackles start to stand up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #97  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I completely agree. When I toss the wood anyway, I hate to pay more and more year after year when UM's and really quality clear stamps give you so many more stamps. It ain't the wood that makes my cards look pretty I just bought the new Little Lady from PaperTrey. $15 for that set is a real deal, comes with the CD to store it in, is accompanied by a box that makes a gorgeous gift box for cards, and my shipping was free because I stocked up on other items and also wanted to try their white paper. When I can pay $15 for a set with quite a number of very versatile stamps, and pay NO tax, shipping, or handling---well, my business is headed other directions in a very big way.
YOU THROW AWAY the wood......ahhhhhhhhh I WILL PAY THE SHIPPING ON IT!! Wood is the ONLY way to stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #98  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'll admit, it's one of those things that makes me gnash my teeth . . . I can understand, and accept, S & H fees and sales tax on product, but, when they tack the sales tax onto the S & H fees to boot AND, depending on where you live it can be even higher (!), well, I'm afraid my hackles start to stand up.
Me too! Missouri's is taxed on S&H too. 7.475 in my county. Grrrrr.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 12:55 AM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it was good of SU to announce this ahead of time.

I have no problem with the increase in prices. It is a competitive economy. If you think you can do better elsewhere, go for it. For me, I just love the coordinating cardstock, accessories, ink. It is worth it for me to pay a bit more.

SU, IMHO, will never offer free shipping and just raise the prices of the product -- if it did SU would have to give a % of the shipping cost to its demos and that's not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 AM   #100  
Crimping Master

All I can say from a UKer point of view is that compared to what we all have to pay in the UK, SU's prices in the States are fabulous even with a 5% increase. As much as I cannot wait for SU to hit our shores, (me sitting here biting my nails in anticipation) I am also worried about how much SU's stuff is going to cost us to purchase cause I am dang sure it won't be as cheap as you all get it in the US. So maybe from that point you can all see how cheap you get it in the US and that is across the papercrafting board. We have to pay through the nose for crafting stuff in the UK, ie the latest papers, primas, latest gagets etc etc, I would give my granny to live in the US (and thats just to get the crafting materials!!!) he he

Our petrol prices have never never been cheap and everything else gas and electric is through the roof, along with our mortgage rates etc. Our wage increases are crap!!! (sorry but they are) and going up every single month at the moment, cause apparently people are relying on credit to much - have they ever wondered why people rely on credit, its because they keep hiking prices up all the blinking time!!!!!!!! Sorry rant over now

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 01:48 AM   #101  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Lands End starts at $4.95 shipping for under $30 orders. The next step up is $6.95 for orders ranging from $30.01 to $65. While it may just be a tad over 10% at the $65 range, you're still stuck with paying $6.95 for a $40 order. That's roughly 17.5% shipping!

Times to Cherish, which is put out by Current, charges $3.99 for up to $10 in merchandise, then $4.99 from $10-$15 in merchandise, then $5.99 for $15-$25 in merchandise. That's a whopping 24% in shipping!

Oriental Trading charges $6.95 for up to $30. Then they charge $8.95 for $30.01-$60 in merchandise. It STARTS at 23.5% for shipping. If you order $30.50 in merchandise, you're paying 30.5% in shipping!
I live out of country and have access to an APO so I do almost all of my shopping via catalog order. With most companies, you can find coupons or specials on shipping if you just look around. For instance, the most I've ever paid for Oriental Trading shipping is $2.95, and most times I get free shipping plus 15% off all by finding a coupon. Yes, the minimum order is usually $50-$60, so I bulk up and order all at once.

Paperwishes -- my favorite "other" company -- same thing. Almost always free shipping with a $45 or $50 order, which is no problem for me!

Even Land's End just recently (at the end of April) had a free shipping promotion. Old Navy has its famous $5.00 shipping, with free offers all the time for credit card holders. Other clothing companies -- JC Penney's, etc. -- usually have free shipping offers as well.

What is worse, though, IMO, is SU!'s shipping cost for larger orders. Many other companies have a top limit to their shipping costs. Land's End, for instance, has an upper limit of $14.95 on orders over $150.00. That means if you spend the minimum your shipping cost is 10%; anything above that and the percentage cost of shipping goes DOWN.

Oriental Trading -- well, they don't offer a flat rate over a certain amount but if you're paying more than $2.95 shipping for them on orders over $60.00 you're just not trying hard enough.

Times to Cherish has a flat rate of $14.95 on orders over $100.01. Paperwishes has a flat rate of $10.95 over $50.00.

Even JC Penney has a top rate, albeit higher -- $39.95 for any order over $500.00.

I know, we have this discussion all the time -- that free shipping isn't really 'free' and so on. But all I know is that I agree with Microscope Mel -- I definitely consider the shipping costs when I make a purchase and those companies that offer me deals on shipping get my business, and my loyalty as a customer. That's got to be worth something.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 02:42 AM   #102  
Kookie Creator

I am the only one that thinks the SU shipping costs are a little ridiculous? Why can't the demo put all orders together and do one shipping cost and divide that? Would it be the same?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 02:52 AM   #103  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korillian

Times to Cherish has a flat rate of $14.95 on orders over $100.01. Paperwishes has a flat rate of $10.95 over $50.00.

And those prices are still over 10% in shipping if you spend the bare minimum. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:06 AM   #104  
Polyshrink Goddess

The message from Stampin up DOES NOT state it is a "5% across the board increase". It actually states it will be GENERALLY 5% (could be a bit more or less) on MOST (doesn't mean across the board/all) products. For people placing modest-sized orders it is not a significant amount of money and if someone is placing such large orders that it is a significant increase (ie. double or triple digits) consider becoming a demonstrator!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 AM   #105  
Rubber Obsessor

I have to agree with many of the complaints about the high cost of shipping. I have a hard time believing that a box of stamps (from a 1,000.00 party costs over 100.00 to ship). Last time I had a party, I added up what the guests paid in shipping. It was a lot of money!!!! And don't kid yourselves, SU is making a good profit - this is not a company in jeopardy. I also have started shopping with the online companies that offer free shipping. Aren't you wondering why Papertrey is really taking off??? They have the right idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:23 AM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayo
I think it's amazing that the prices of the stamp sets are as low as they are. Where can you get 8 stamps for $28.00? That's only about $3.62 per stamp;)

1 stamp at Micheals and other craft stores is $8.00 and it doesnt come with friends that match it just right
i will continue to buy MOSTLY SU! for exactly this reason!!!
tho now might be the time to pick up a few extra pkg. of CS and ink pads! i am almost 1/2 way to having them all.
5% is not as bad as it could be!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:33 AM   #107  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerianne
I don't think the increase is too much...I just think the shipping rate they charge is very high. Just my opinion...and even though I think it's high, it hasn't stopped my obsession!!
there is a company i deal with who's shipping is 12%. but i like the product and the quality is great. i feel it is worth it so i buy it. you get what you pay for.

i guess you could buy stamps somewhere else- but in my opinion (and this is MY opinion) you cant' beat the quality and you can't always find stamps of the same 'theme' and the same 'style' and this is a HUGE detail in a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:38 AM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Yup. SU! S & H charges have always been extremely reasonable.

The only gripe I've had is that my state (WA), requires us to pay sales tax not only on the product, but, on all S & H fees, too . . . :?
out tax is figured after s&h as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:50 AM   #109  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddeck
I am the only one that thinks the SU shipping costs are a little ridiculous? Why can't the demo put all orders together and do one shipping cost and divide that? Would it be the same?
10% is 10%
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 03:54 AM   #110  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by madebyme
I have to agree with many of the complaints about the high cost of shipping. I have a hard time believing that a box of stamps (from a 1,000.00 party costs over 100.00 to ship). Last time I had a party, I added up what the guests paid in shipping. It was a lot of money!!!!
\

This is why the order forms state that it's "Shipping and Handling," not just shipping.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 04:07 AM   #111  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

would you want to pay the average shipping of everyone's order if you only ordered one wheel and most everyone else ordered over $100 worth of stuff?? Think about it... .57 cents or $10? which would you rather pay?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 04:08 AM   #112  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Holy mud, don't throw the wood away! I'll buy it from you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 04:19 AM   #113  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiraj
Except they do use USPS for shipping "fixes". And maybe backorders?? I know though that anytime I have had an item forgotten in my order or come broken, my replacement comes within a couple days, straight to my mailbox.

Also, UPS has certainly raised their shipping costs and a rate substantially higher than SU has raised their product prices over the past 10 years. So although SU does get more in shipping charges when they raise product prices, it hasn't been nearly comparable with UPS rises.
forgotten or damaged items generally do come USPS... backorders are usually (with the very rare exception) shipped the same method as the original order... if it was standard ground, that is how the backorder is shipped... 2nd day goes 2nd day... this was a policy clarification last year sometime...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 04:20 AM   #114  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Smile This Demo Pays Shipping

I never charge my customers shipping. When I tell them that I absorb it myself they tend to purchase more goodies!

Quote:

Visit My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 04:26 AM   #115  
Die Cut Diva

I have just read almost every post and although an increase "feels" bad in any area, it is a fact of life. Although I agree with the poster who said everything is going up except the wages..L
Here's a few things that came to my mind as I read these posts. Basically 5% is not a big deal. I think most of us just hate the thought of paying more. As for the shipping, I am a Princess House rep and our shipping is 3.00 per item. Now granted, most of our items are heavy crystal pieces but some are not. In most cases this is about 3% to ship which is cheap when you consider the items being fragile and heavy and need to be packed properly. However it is still difficult to tell customers that buy say, 4 items that they will be charged another $12.00 in shipping. It's not too bad if they are large items like pots and pans, but customers who may have order a serving spoon and a candle holder can't wrap their minds around 3.00 per item.

As for your taxes on S & H...you could all move here to Ontario,Canada ;)where I get to pay a lovely 8% provincial sales tax on all goods PLUS an additional 6% in federal "Goods and Services" tax which applies to both the items and the shipping....so yup...a whopping 14% in taxes... :(
Think I will learn to love the 5% increase with SU! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 04:27 AM   #116  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintrublu
I'd prefer a 5% increase in price to a decrease in quality any day! And honestly, with SU's costs rising, that's pretty much the choice they're faced with... I'm glad they're not going to compromise on thier great quality

I agree with you Melanie....their quality is worth the 5% increase.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 04:35 AM   #117  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyesMom
Oh ick!!! Dont give Michigan any ideas.
We have to charge tax on S & H in Michigan too...they already have the idea.:(

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 04:49 AM   #118  
Polyshrink Goddess

Considering the cost of raw materials AND shipping, I WISH they would offer the option to buy the rubber stamp sets minus the wood blocks. The packages would be lighter, and use less raw materials...That is the only thing I would change about SU. I think 5% is reasonable, even with all my stuff, I know it's cheaper than therapy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 04:54 AM   #119  
Crimping Master

I just saw a story on the 11pm news that it's illegal in MA to charge tax on S&H.

I wasn't sure if this applied to SU orders. I wonder if I should tell my demo ??

Other MA residents, do your demos charge tax on S&H?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 04:56 AM   #120  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

OUCH!
We have that here in NY too...Where I am it's 7.875%, My sister on the other side of the river pays 8.25%...it varies, and yup, we pay tax on S&H too :(
Reply With Quote Likes