Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #161  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've known many direct sellers that have made a living. The thing with direct sales is that you can make as much money as you set your mind to make. It is work but the opportunity is there for anyone.

Check my blog :http://www.ddstamps.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #162  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the demos I know is a single mom. SU! Is her source of income. She works hard, it's a full time job, but it supports her family.
It can be done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #163  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddstampsView Post
I've known many direct sellers that have made a living. The thing with direct sales is that you can make as much money as you set your mind to make. It is work but the opportunity is there for anyone.
I hope you don't think I am attacking you, just sharing my point of view and that of many of us following this thread that has morphed into quite a different topic that the OP intended! I don't mean to offend anyone.

I know the whole direct sales mantra...if you can believe it you can achieve it... a whole lot of people buy into the idea but the fact remains that it is rare. And just saying it doesn't make it so. (Yes there are those who make money, obviously those who come in early, or are in the right place at the right time.)

I decided to shoot for the stars in a cosmetic company one time, with the 'help' of a pushy director who kept feeding me the line. I attended the highly strung meetings, made cold calls, made not so cold calls, did the booth at the trade show... but it just wasn't me. Setting goals for myself also wasn't the magic trick I was lead to believe.

You have to be of an outgoing nature, fairly aggressive and thick skinned to even begin to be successful. (Okay, that is my opinion there.) And the fact is that there has to be people around who want your product.

I could 'set my mind' that I could turn myself into a run way model. I could tell myself all kinds of positive talk and I would still be 5'2", not in any way the 'model' of a model. Telling yourself is not a magic bullet. And no amount of self talk is going to grow me 10 inches or turn me into someone I'm not.

The vast majority of SU demonstrators are like my dear demo. They are into it for the passion of the craft and the product. To introduce others to it is a bonus and if it grows into a little extra cash, great.

Okay, that is my opinion and I hope I didn't offend anyone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #164  
Hardware Hotshot

Just got to see the new catty and I am loving it!
I think I only bought one new set last year.....Little Additions. I tend to buy paper, dsp, embossing folders, embellishments, etc. any more.

There are at least five/six stamp sets (or more) that I would like!

Yay, yay, hip, hip hooray for new catty time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #165  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I believe that this is a very popular misconception. The truth is that fewer than 2% of the people in direct sales are showing any kind of a profit. Would you ever knowingly take a job in which fewer that 2% of the employees made any money? Check out PinkTruth.com. It's a real eye-opener.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #166  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post

The vast majority of SU demonstrators are like my dear demo. They are into it for the passion of the craft and the product. To introduce others to it is a bonus and if it grows into a little extra cash, great.
This statement is true, but if a person wanted to make a living selling SU! Products it can be done. It is work like any other sales job but it has and can be done.

I work my business part time and I do great for a part time job. I pay taxes on a profit. I also enjoy the benefits of being a demo, I've got the best of both worlds - free and discounted product, free vacations, extra money to help pay for extras for my family and a hobby that I still love.

This business isn't for everyone but just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for everyone.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #167  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

This statement is true, but if a person wanted to make a living selling SU! Products it can be done. It is work like any other sales job but it has and can be done.

I work my business part time and I do great for a part time job. I pay taxes on a profit. I also enjoy the benefits of being a demo, I've got the best of both worlds - free and discounted product, free vacations, extra money to help pay for extras for my family and a hobby that I still love.

This business isn't for everyone but just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for everyone.
LOL ok. I am still a demo, discount only. I have never, and would never, try to make a profit. And again, I will believe you (or anyone else) is making a profit when I see your Schedule C.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #168  
Proud Fan Club Member

I really thought this thread was started to talk about the sneak peak! Some how we've gotten off track a bit.

I share the catalog with a friend of mine and she is just as excited as I am!

How ever I do have a question about one of the cards in the catalog? It's on page 134. Bottom corner. the green card. What die cut did they use and what Stamp set did they use on the die cut?
We looked through the catalog for along time and couldn't find the die cut or stamp they used.

Now back to the catalog. What do you think about it?

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #169  
Polyshrink Goddess

Check the supply list on the Stampin Up! Website- I would check but I am not at home

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #170  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
I am kind of loving it! It's definitely inspiring me to buy more than last year's. I am youngin and if they're trying to appeal to the youngins, I can tell you it's working. I like the new setup and the way ideas are presented throughout. I know some people aren't liking it who have been SU demos/customers for 10+ years, but they have to update some time, right? I was hoping to see more photopolymer, but fingers crossed more of that is to come.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #171  
Polyshrink Goddess

Can you tell me if the soda pop tops are in the new catty? If not I will have to order out of the mini before its over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #172  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampinmom57View Post
Can you tell me if the soda pop tops are in the new catty? If not I will have to order out of the mini before its over.

I didn't see any in the New catalog!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #173  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
I really thought this thread was started to talk about the sneak peak! Some how we've gotten off track a bit.

I share the catalog with a friend of mine and she is just as excited as I am!

How ever I do have a question about one of the cards in the catalog? It's on page 134. Bottom corner. the green card. What die cut did they use and what Stamp set did they use on the die cut?
We looked through the catalog for along time and couldn't find the die cut or stamp they used.

P. 134
The supply list just says Memorable Moments stamp set, no die cut.
So that would ean stamp amazing to line things up, and then marker to draw in the lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #174  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh I can't wait to be able to order from the new catalog! There are too many things I want so that is why I want to sign up. I will not be anything but a hobbyist but I'm fine with that.
SU's products are some of the best in the stamping/scrapping world. And coming from me that is saying a lot because I resisted SU like the plague! Now I just love it all. I want to sign up already!!
I feel like the woman in the Mervyn's commercial from years ago. She was all excited for their sales, arrived way early in the morning and stood at the glass door peering inside, saying "Open. Open. Open!"
hahaha

My demo's schedule is so busy we are having a hard time finding time to meet and discuss all of it. Is there any other way I can sign up and she will still get the credit for it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #175  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
My demo's schedule is so busy we are having a hard time finding time to meet and discuss all of it. Is there any other way I can sign up and she will still get the credit for it?
If you demo has a website you can sign up through that and you will be in her downline- you can even order sneak peak items on your starter kit order.

I love this years catalog! I love the fresh look of it with the colors and stamps~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #176  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

If you demo has a website you can sign up through that and you will be in her downline- you can even order sneak peak items on your starter kit order.

I love this years catalog! I love the fresh look of it with the colors and stamps~
Well big bummer! My demo just dropped by with all the info I need BUT if I become a demo then it would be pointless for me to stay in the stamp club she has; which is no good...I would not be able to afford being a hobby demo and paying $25 a month to be in the club plus the fact that ordering from her would mean I would be paying full price, right? Am I thinking this through correctly? Hmmm...I joined her club to get out of the house, do something and meet people as I pretty much know no one after living here for 6 years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #177  
Kookie Creator

Received 281 Likes on 101 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by plkelleyView Post
I believe that this is a very popular misconception. The truth is that fewer than 2% of the people in direct sales are showing any kind of a profit. Would you ever knowingly take a job in which fewer that 2% of the employees made any money? Check out PinkTruth.com. It's a real eye-opener.
On the REALITY side, you probably will not make any money if you sign up.

On the SUNSHINE side, you make more than money: you make friends, you make a connection to your artistic side, you make memories with convention and regionals, and you make lots of your friends and family happy when you surprise them with your beautiful/cute handmade crafts and cards.

This is great TEMPORARILY. Know when to quit. Know where to financially draw the line with your spending. Then it will be GREAT!

There are so many people on this thread saying: "Your wishlist is so long. You should sign up!" That is a deceptive thing to say. You should not join just because your wishlist is long. Signing up is going to give you a big discount at first. Then you will drop? Do you feel right about that ethically? I had a lady sign and drop with me three times. It just never felt ethically right to me. She has to live with herself--it was her decision.

That is why we all are continuing to talk about this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #178  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Yes it can be done. I didn't say it couldn't. I said it is rare. Please don't quote what I never said.

Please re-read my complete post; I said it is the rare person who is that successful. I also never said because it didn't work for me, it doesn't work for everyone. I said it takes a stronger personality than mine. I said there is no magic mantra that makes it happen.

I'm glad you are successful you are one of the rare ones!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #179  
Kookie Creator

Received 281 Likes on 101 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by plkelleyView Post
According to FORBES Magazine: The real business of multilevel marketing is not the product or service being peddled� it�s the recruiting.

So be careful before you sign up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #180  
Hardware Hotshot

As someone who was once a demo for more than six years, I have to say that I really love the new direction of SU. I love the new look of the catalogs, the website, the blogs. Very fresh and modern! While the look of the product hasn't changed immensely, the presentation has improved greatly.

I loved the look of the new Gingham Garden line. That was super cute! I also think the new In Colors are right on trend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #181  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
As someone who was once a demo for more than six years, I have to say that I really love the new direction of SU. I love the new look of the catalogs, the website, the blogs. Very fresh and modern! While the look of the product hasn't changed immensely, the presentation has improved greatly.

I loved the look of the new Gingham Garden line. That was super cute! I also think the new In Colors are right on trend.
I love the new look too. A lot more modern and very appealing to the eye.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #182  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

The new Gingham garden line is my favorite!

And I agree SU is moving in a Fresher Direction.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #183  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
Well big bummer! My demo just dropped by with all the info I need BUT if I become a demo then it would be pointless for me to stay in the stamp club she has; which is no good...I would not be able to afford being a hobby demo and paying $25 a month to be in the club plus the fact that ordering from her would mean I would be paying full price, right? Am I thinking this through correctly? Hmmm...I joined her club to get out of the house, do something and meet people as I pretty much know no one after living here for 6 years!
Talk to your demo about options. Perhaps she can find another club member for the remaining months to fill your spot. Or perhaps with the new catalog coming out, she'll fill your spot herself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #184  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

My catalogue should be here this week. I'm so excited to see it in person. I'm sure I will love it when it comes more than when I saw the online version.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #185  
Mad Swapper

We looked through the catalog for along time and couldn't find the die cut or stamp they used. "

I believe the card is the Labels Collection Framelit die. I'm still searching for the stamp. I don't have the physical catalogue so it may take me a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #186  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4londonView Post
We looked through the catalog for along time and couldn't find the die cut or stamp they used. "

I believe the card is the Labels Collection Framelit die. I'm still searching for the stamp. I don't have the physical catalogue so it may take me a bit.
Hey:-) Ok, this is insane but I THINK they inked up the memorable moments outline and omitted the sides and stamped them in a row (which looks hard enough) and then HAND CUT them out and drew in the insides free hand. I had noticed it before and went hmmmmm? But didn't look into it. Yikes! Guess you can do that when you have probably a year to make samples for the catalog and get paid to stamp for a living, lol! It's my dream job......however I wouldn't ever make a card like that, lol! HTH!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #187  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
Talk to your demo about options. Perhaps she can find another club member for the remaining months to fill your spot. Or perhaps with the new catalog coming out, she'll fill your spot herself.
Some demos really hate to see their best customers become demos themselves. This may be the case here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #188  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Some demos really hate to see their best customers become demos themselves. This may be the case here.
Hadn't thought about that but since I'd only be a hobby demo I can see where it wouldn't really be good for her for me to be a demo. But I'm actually fine with not becoming a demo since I weighed out the benefits versus just being a customer. I love getting to be a hostess twice a year and what I earn from that is good enough. Maybe I can just quit buying clothes (not that I get to do that often!) and use that money for more stamps and such...I mean who needs clothes, right?! I have my priorities! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #189  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Got my new catty last night and I'm still drooling. I would never sign up as a demo because I am my friends best customer (aside from herself!) and she would have nothing. She is awesome and we have such fun so I'm happy with the way things are. She is very generous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #190  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like a lot of stamps in the new catalogue, but am willing to wait several years for them to appear on Ebay (or on my demo's sale table when they retire) for cheaper prices - or I am hoping that in coming years they'll offer more stamp sets in photopolymer. I am seeing a lot of lovely stamps that are made to use with each other (like sentiments that go "inside" another stamp) or with a diecut. I have to keep reminding myself that these stamps are not clear so would be a little more difficult (for ME, because I can't stand using the stamp-a-ma-jig) to use.

On the other tangent...
I have one co-worker who sells Tastefully Simple, and I have the impression that she tries as hard as she can - she's recruited several people and she books parties regularly, and this is all part-time (she has a full-time job - well, she IS my co-worker). That said, I think that if she is THIS good at selling, she would make a ton more money as a part-time saleswoman at a car or RV dealership, or as a real estate agent. Actually, I think she would make more money or the at least the same amount if she were to get a part-time job at even a minimum-wage job.

The other five SU! demos I know of, two seem pretty successful; one is retired on a comfortable income/pension and does it full-time for fun. The other has two other jobs - she's a sewing professor and a seamstress for a high-end store. The other three are just starting out or are hobby demos.

I also think there is nothing wrong with someone signing up just to be a hobby demo to get the huge discount, and then dropping after that, and doing that multiple times. Basically anytime anyone signs up, SU! is getting another guaranteed amount of income, which I think is a pretty good business deal for SU! as well as the "revolving" demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #191  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't see anything wrong with signing up and then dropping because SU totally allows it. I haven't done it. I was a demo for two years, but when I signed up I thought I maybe would be in for only one quarter.

I have thought about doing it again because SU has a great incentive to join right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #192  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Hey:-) Ok, this is insane but I THINK they inked up the memorable moments outline and omitted the sides and stamped them in a row (which looks hard enough) and then HAND CUT them out and drew in the insides free hand. I had noticed it before and went hmmmmm? But didn't look into it. Yikes! Guess you can do that when you have probably a year to make samples for the catalog and get paid to stamp for a living, lol! It's my dream job......however I wouldn't ever make a card like that, lol! HTH!
I agree with everything you said except I don't think they omitted the sides. It looks like the sides overlap and create the oval/circle spaces between the hand-drawn lines/plaid. Which makes it a little easier, but you still have the lining up and cutting out to deal with...

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #193  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by turkiView Post
I agree with everything you said except I don't think they omitted the sides. It looks like the sides overlap and create the oval/circle spaces between the hand-drawn lines/plaid. Which makes it a little easier, but you still have the lining up and cutting out to deal with...

That's what made it hard to figure out which stamp they used.

Thanks for clearing this up for us!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #194  

Could be....I didn't look super close at it I guess!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #195  
Proud Fan Club Member

One thing I do know. Is in order to make money with any Direct Sale Company. You NEED to be a good sale's person!

If you live in a small town. Or a Big Town. You really need to connect with other's. Post flyers in other places. Have a Internet site. Use a newsletter to let your customer's know what the special are from that month.

Maybe to do a reward system for your customer's. Make them feel good about buying from you as a Demo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #196  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Just north of the 49th in a little corner of Heaven!

I LOVE this thread! I hardly ever venture from the demo side. SO many interesting comments regarding Direct Sales, holding workshops, product! I have to come to this side of the forums WAY more often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #197  
Proud Fan Club Member

Question ?

Ok I have a question about Stampin' Up!

When one joins. Does one pay for shipping? & Sales tax's on Kit??

I'm looking into joining. And I want to make sure I have enough money set aside for it.

I'll be joining for extra spending money.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #198  

No shipping or tax on the kit. What you see it what you get.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #199  
Matboard Maniac

I would love a look at the new catalog if some one wud pm a link....TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #200  
Mad Swapper

Just received my catalogue. It is much better in person. I am still looking but so far I need Timeless Talk, Zoo Babies and Walk in the Wild. And I'm sure much much more!
Reply With Quote Likes