Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #161  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm disappointed. I found nothing to order.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #162  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch the small paper packs. They don't have all the prints in them, just a select few. I'm talking about Winter Frost and Season of Style)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #163  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The packs don't include the specialty sheets like window sheets or foil sheets. I like them for cards though. Even better, my friend and I split the pack last year! Worked great!!! This year I had to order both of them since I will be using them for Christmas Cards.

I just did a card with the bow die. It is in my gallery if anyone is interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #164  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
I'm disappointed. I found nothing to order.
My sentiments exactly!
After all the hoopla,I was prepared to be wowed! But I didn't see one thing I had to have...it's all good, there's still plenty in the new big catalog for me to spend my $$ on!!

Last edited by klh54; 07-21-2013 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: left out a sentence!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #165  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very, Very dissapointed in the mini. Each year I like less in the catalogs. I will continue to shop else where.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #166  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin"T"View Post
Very, Very dissapointed in the mini. Each year I like less in the catalogs. I will continue to shop else where.
What were you hoping for? It's never fun to be disappointed. :( What is it that you can get elsewhere? I'm interested in knowing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #167  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I can't wait to see the bow die in action. When should the previews be available? I love this catalogue and for all that will not be purchasing, I will be making up for you. Hahaha :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #168  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4londonView Post
I can't wait to see the bow die in action. When should the previews be available? I love this catalogue and for all that will not be purchasing, I will be making up for you. Hahaha :-)
Ha! Well any time....a lot of us are still recovering from convention or at least I still am so I haven't been stamping the past week. And I might have taken a nap at 4:30 when I got home from work last night, ha! Seriously though it should be soon since we pre-ordered earlier this month. Mine is sitting in there just waiting!

I didn't want to make anything with it for convention because they wouldn't have traveled well :(

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #169  
Matboard Maniac

The "Truly Grateful" was my favorite stamp set. Absolutely love the background stamp. Also really liked the 4x6 DS paper packs & intricate die cut words.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #170  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgolbyView Post
The "Truly Grateful" was my favorite stamp set. Absolutely love the background stamp. Also really liked the 4x6 DS paper packs & intricate die cut words.
It's like one of my fave sets ever! And just a tip for the words...use wax paper in between the die and the paper! They are really neat! I'm going to TRY to do a video for them once we can show them Aug 1!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #171  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Ha! Well any time....a lot of us are still recovering from convention or at least I still am so I haven't been stamping the past week. And I might have taken a nap at 4:30 when I got home from work last night, ha! Seriously though it should be soon since we pre-ordered earlier this month. Mine is sitting in there just waiting!

I didn't want to make anything with it for convention because they wouldn't have traveled well :(
I think that's my concern with the bow makers. If they're made of paper, and you are putting them in an envelope and possibly mailing them, what will they look like when they reach their destination?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #172  

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I think that's my concern with the bow makers. If they're made of paper, and you are putting them in an envelope and possibly mailing them, what will they look like when they reach their destination?
I pretty much plan to use them on packaging and hand delivered cards....

Will be cute on bags and boxes for sure!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #173  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
What were you hoping for? It's never fun to be disappointed. :( What is it that you can get elsewhere? I'm interested in knowing.
Well, since you asked... I think that's a totally fair question. I went back and looked at the holiday catalogs from the last few years. I can only speak for myself, but it's mostly a taste thing for me and my usual problem with red rubber stamps because I am seriously latex allergic.

Looking at the Christmas paper, I guess I just like more traditional Christmas prints, and barring that, patterns that are not minimalist unless you're talking solid colors. I think this year's was just more modern/streamlined than I generally prefer. Last year's Snow Flurry die really appealed to me in a way that none of this year's dies do. I also thought last year's Framelits ornaments with stamps were something special. I wanted to like this year's Framelits snowflakes and the matching stamps, but they just don't do it for me for some reason. It might be because I like my snowflakes a bit more intricate in the paper cutting department than these are. I do have a few red rubber stamps, but not many because of my latex allergy.

It's just better when I reduce my exposure to natural rubber latex, and besides, it's irritating to have to use nitrile gloves when I am stamping. I used to use (rubber) stamps when I was a girl, but developed the latex allergy in college working in research labs. Good photopolymer stamps have allowed me to do fun things with stamps again. I just didn't see anything in the catalog this year that was worth the annoyance of gloving up. Again, my taste in Christmas stamps are like my taste in Christmas paper; traditional and not particularly minimalist.

As for other products, I wasn't overwhelmed by this year's Spellbinders' Christmas dies, either. I do like quite a few of the Sizzix Tim Holtz dies that will be out for Christmas, although I don't often use his dies in that grunge/distress/steampunk style. He also has a couple of vintage print stamps that I might get. There's an Elizabeth Craft Christmas tree that I think I will end up buying. I really like the way the tree is shaped. I haven't really started seriously looking at stamps for Christmas yet, but you can imagine given my health issue, I do gravitate more towards companies that produce a lot of photopolymer.

I hope that helps some. Not being much of a natural at graphic design or color theory, I sometimes find it hard to express why I like a particular die shape or paper pattern or stamp other than "I know what I like when I see it."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #174  
Polyshrink Goddess

I know what you mean about preferring traditional Christmas colors/prints. I also have last years ornament/framelits set, and feel this years offering appears too flat and square. I have found though, that the more I look through the holiday catty, the more items are starting to appeal to me. I am beginning to think I like the look of the Winter Frost paper. I also am liking the dove from Calm Christmas. One thing I have never liked from SU! Christmas selections though are their snowflakes. They are always too chunky, and have way too many points making them resemble doilies more than flakes. I prefer my snowflakes delicate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #175  
Rubber Obsessor

I do know what you mean about the snowflakes. I liked last year's Snow Flurry, and I've picked up some of the other steel rule snowflakes from Sizzix. I like cutting metal with those or paper then covering them in glitter for nonbreakable tree ornaments. My favorite paper-only snowflake dies are from Memory Box and Cheery Lynn and they are indeed more delicate. Taste is a hard one. I would not expect to love everything that a company puts out every single year. I guess it's safe to say that I don't practice monogamy with my paper crafting, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 AM   #176  

Interesting! I've never really thought about those with a latex allergy! We do have some PP stamps but they have said that they really won't be regular catalog offerings...bummer for those with allergies for sure! I like the DSP patterns this year but then I usually like about any pattern, lol! AND I'm all about polka dots and chevrons! Thanks for your view point!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #177  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpygirl73View Post
Well, since you asked... I think that's a totally fair question. I went back and looked at the holiday catalogs from the last few years. I can only speak for myself, but it's mostly a taste thing for me and my usual problem with red rubber stamps because I am seriously latex allergic.

Looking at the Christmas paper, I guess I just like more traditional Christmas prints, and barring that, patterns that are not minimalist unless you're talking solid colors. I think this year's was just more modern/streamlined than I generally prefer. Last year's Snow Flurry die really appealed to me in a way that none of this year's dies do. I also thought last year's Framelits ornaments with stamps were something special. I wanted to like this year's Framelits snowflakes and the matching stamps, but they just don't do it for me for some reason. It might be because I like my snowflakes a bit more intricate in the paper cutting department than these are. I do have a few red rubber stamps, but not many because of my latex allergy.

It's just better when I reduce my exposure to natural rubber latex, and besides, it's irritating to have to use nitrile gloves when I am stamping. I used to use (rubber) stamps when I was a girl, but developed the latex allergy in college working in research labs. Good photopolymer stamps have allowed me to do fun things with stamps again. I just didn't see anything in the catalog this year that was worth the annoyance of gloving up. Again, my taste in Christmas stamps are like my taste in Christmas paper; traditional and not particularly minimalist.

As for other products, I wasn't overwhelmed by this year's Spellbinders' Christmas dies, either. I do like quite a few of the Sizzix Tim Holtz dies that will be out for Christmas, although I don't often use his dies in that grunge/distress/steampunk style. He also has a couple of vintage print stamps that I might get. There's an Elizabeth Craft Christmas tree that I think I will end up buying. I really like the way the tree is shaped. I haven't really started seriously looking at stamps for Christmas yet, but you can imagine given my health issue, I do gravitate more towards companies that produce a lot of photopolymer.

I hope that helps some. Not being much of a natural at graphic design or color theory, I sometimes find it hard to express why I like a particular die shape or paper pattern or stamp other than "I know what I like when I see it."
Thanks for explaining. I understand the part about having trouble explaining 'why', and I appreciate that you gave it a try. I can see how a latex allergy would put a crimp in things. Maybe one of the upcoming SU photopolymer sets will be a more holiday themed item.

I'm going to get some of th banners and kits. It will push me out of my box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #178  
Kookie Creator

Received 281 Likes on 101 Posts

So what's everybody making with their goodies from the Holiday Mini this year?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #179  
Insane Embellisher

A Little Birdie Told Me

Quote:

Originally Posted by KgeansView Post
So what's everybody making with their goodies from the Holiday Mini this year?
Nothing - After just about buying the entire Christmas sections of the regular & Holiday Mini last, there was not a thing I wanted to buy this year.

I am using a Penny Black stamp for my cards & Spellbinders snowflake dies for card inserts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #180  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here are a few things I've made- I am just starting to gear up for the Holidays so I will be making a whole lot more! [IMG] [/IMG]

Check my blog :http://www.ddstamps.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #181  

I've been making a few things...need to make more :-) My creations are posted in my gallery (yay for the new uploader!) and on my blog!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #182  
Embossing Fanatic

Diane, I love your cards! I may be adding some more Halloween things to my upcoming order now...

My last order was almost entirely from the new Holiday catalog...I even bought (and already love) the controversial Festive Flurry bundle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #183  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieWillsView Post
Diane, I love your cards! I may be adding some more Halloween things to my upcoming order now...

My last order was almost entirely from the new Holiday catalog...I even bought (and already love) the controversial Festive Flurry bundle.
Controversial? Meh? I must have missed that!
Old 09-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #184  
Embossing Fanatic

I was just referring to this thread:

SU - Seriously?? by lovetocruise at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #185  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieWillsView Post
I was just referring to this thread:

SU - Seriously?? by lovetocruise at Splitcoaststampers
Ohhh. Oh GEEZ, lol!