Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With SU going UM

Since its out.... YAYYYYYYYYY SU!!

I was wondering those that have unmounted the older sets, will this have an impact on the resale of those? Because if I'm not mistaken those now that are trying to downsize and have UM the resale value is less.

Will this new change make a difference then?

*shrugs* just something I thought of, not that I'm ever going to part with any of the 999,999,999 sets that I have *grins* (yes greedy)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm still trying to decide whether to unmount or not. They are so easy to find the way they are in their cases. I'm afraid it will be more difficult. I have them all alphabetical on shelves except for holidays and word sets. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

I also wondered about resale, not that I'm really planning to part with any of them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 06:06 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Personally I wouldn't buy an old set that had once been mounted and then unmounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Currently, yes the resale of those that have been re-mounted onto cling is pretty low. BUT, if "this" takes off with SU we may see things change drastically, it will be interesting to see none-the-less....I've never cared about the resale price though, because I only buy what I really like and intend to keep it all ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

personally i would not be interested in unmounted SU! stamps.

but that is just MY opinion.

there seems to be some people that ARE interested tho...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I would not be interested in buying unmounted SU stamps, but that doesn't mean the person down the road, who is exposed to SU as unmounted, will feel that way.

I think you usually find value in what you find familiar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

SU has said that the wood mountable stamps won't work with the new cling mount and vice-versa...so what do you you have to do to make them work as cling mounted stamps. I have only wood mounted stamps and am very happy with them. As a demo, I will buy at least one set of cling mount and try them out and demo them. So far most of my customers only use wood mount and aren't very excited about the clear acrylic blocks. Maybe that's because I've long taught them how to mount their stamps so they know where the image is.

I won't be unmounting my stamps. But who knows is I will become a cling moun t affectionado!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 510 Likes on 229 Posts

I have unmounted over 200 sets of SU...plus singles.

Would never go back.

for InkeePhingers...you remove the rubber from the sticky foam and place it on cling foam. (cling foam, like EZMount, is sticky on one side to hold the rubber, and cling on the other, for clinging to the acrylic block.) That will make your rubber comparable to what SU will be offering. However there are other ways to use unmounted rubber, and there are many threads talking about the options.

As for resale, I think that more people will be going to the "clear mount" option with SU. If I was going that direction and looking for retired stamps, I would prefer the one that is already unmounted. So hopefully the resale value will increase over time.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by InkeePhingersView Post
SU has said that the wood mountable stamps won't work with the new cling mount and vice-versa...so what do you you have to do to make them work as cling mounted stamps. I have only wood mounted stamps and am very happy with them. As a demo, I will buy at least one set of cling mount and try them out and demo them. So far most of my customers only use wood mount and aren't very excited about the clear acrylic blocks. Maybe that's because I've long taught them how to mount their stamps so they know where the image is.

I won't be unmounting my stamps. But who knows is I will become a cling moun t affectionado!
You simply remove the mounting foam and replace it with foam such as EZ Mount. It's not the fastest process, but not the hardest either.

I too was skeptical of clear and UM stamps, until I used them for a while. I love that I can see where I'm putting the image. I also love that I can store them in a smaller space and that their cases are not slippery and easily dropped like the SU wood mounted cases. Those cases drive me nuts as I'm usually carrying multiple ones at once, then they shoot out, and inevitably, a corner of the biggest one lands on my toe (it hurts like heck!). Every time that happens, I swear I'm going completely unmounted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I have unmounted over 200 sets of SU...plus singles.

Would never go back.

for InkeePhingers...you remove the rubber from the sticky foam and place it on cling foam. (cling foam, like EZMount, is sticky on one side to hold the rubber, and cling on the other, for clinging to the acrylic block.) That will make your rubber comparable to what SU will be offering. However there are other ways to use unmounted rubber, and there are many threads talking about the options.

As for resale, I think that more people will be going to the "clear mount" option with SU. If I was going that direction and looking for retired stamps, I would prefer the one that is already unmounted. So hopefully the resale value will increase over time.
One of my girlfriends did the same thing and she has the same conclusion! I love borrowing her stamps as they're highly organized. She has then in binders separated by theme. It's so nice! She also has a large shelf almost full of the binders, so you can tell she has a ton of stamps!

I agree that the resale value of the UM version will increase over time, especially since they'll be coming like that from SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Default Unmounted SU stamps

I am excited about the new change at SU! I have already unmounted a few stamp sets, esp the older ones. Many of which the rubber was already loosening on the foam/wood mounts.

I find it much easier to store and organize my unmounted stamps. In fact, even when I don't unmount a set, I break them up and store them by theme or sentiments, etc. Much easier to find what I want.

I am currently working on my stamp index folder. Every stamp will be indexed and I will have the name of each stamp set so I can look them up on Split Coast for ideas whenever I want to do that.

I find that unmounted SU stamps work very well for me, the images are clear and placement on a card is much easier.

One thing I do that helps, is when I get a new set, I make two copies of the stamp design sheet before I use them. That becomes part of my index book, and the other copy goes with the stamps so I can easily find them in my unmounted system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I will be ordering 100% unmounted. I need to be able to store more stamps...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

So, unmounting all my wood stamps and remounting them on cling mount and re-trimming the cling mount....sounds like more work than I care for and more time than I have...then there's the additional expense of getting all new CD cases to store them in and finding some way to label them. I my indeed become a fan of cling mounted once I have used them but I don't think I'll be unmounting any wood mounted stamps anywhere soon!!!! Thanks for letting me know how it's done though! I never wood have guessed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mztamelaView Post
I'm still trying to decide whether to unmount or not. They are so easy to find the way they are in their cases. I'm afraid it will be more difficult. I have them all alphabetical on shelves except for holidays and word sets. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

I also wondered about resale, not that I'm really planning to part with any of them.

I would say if you're un-sure of going unmounted. Try a stamp set. to see if you like using them that way.

Cause you know it's going to cost you extra money to unmount all of your now wood mounted Rubber stamps.

And if you like the wood mounted it's now going to be worth going unmounted.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I have unmounted so far probably hmmm 150+ sets and I wont go back either to be honest. but to each their own I know. I love the storage for them as I use CD Cases.. and I am nekked rubber and use Aileens TIO or Tack N Peel or just double sided tape. Was just curious on the resale.. so as the saying goes.. time will tell

Thanks for the input ladies

as always suching a pleasure
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 03:24 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed that many posters on this thread and many past threads talk about resale value like there is some kind of guarantee. If you have observed sale prices of most sets (wood mounted) over the past year, they have fallen significantly. Some special sets, Level 3 hostess mostly it seems remain crazy high, but assuming a high resale value (as we all should have learned from the real estate debacle) is probably not a good reason to buy anything.

As a fan of unmounted, I may be biased. Probably I am. I have purchased EZMounted SU sets and I was delighted to find them.

I think that to assume/believe that these stamps will have a high resale value for any reason is not a valid reason to choose wood mounted.

Just my observation. I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

i love finding cling-mounted SU sets for resale!
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Quote:

So, unmounting all my wood stamps and remounting them on cling mount and re-trimming the cling mount....sounds like more work than I care for and more time than I have
You don't have to pull them off their current cushion and remount on cling foam if the stamps come off the wood with cushion intact (some do quite easily, some not so much)

If you have intact cushion, you can just coat that with Ailene's Tack It Over and Over or another repositionable glue (I've had really good luck with the Mono Multi in the green & white bottle).

And most stamps work fine with just the repositionable glue on bare rubber - try them first and see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post

Stamps that already have the clingfoam applied, whether it was done at the factory or done by a former owner, are a plus in my book. Then I don't have to buy clingfoam or apply & trim it. Less cost and less work for me!

I prefer unmounted stamps because that's the way I use them. I don't care to pay for wood that I throw away (the recycle program here won't take it), nor do I want to pay for shipping wood (weight) that I throw away.

I actually look for UM because it irks me to pay to ship wood that I throw away. Ten UM stamps can be put into a bubble mailer and shipped for $2. Ten stamps mounted on wood and, heaven forbid, in those clamshell boxes that take up so much space, can easily cost three times that to ship.

I don't buy stamps for their resale value, but I know that business demos usually sell off most of the old stuff because they can't demo it. As UM becomes popular, I think it will help the resale value of sets that have been unmounted. As more and more people desire/prefer UM, it's worth will increase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I have a mixture of stamps, sometimes I prefer wood mounted, especially for the very large stamps like backgrounds. I will probably never unmount all of my SU stamps... I have used EZ Mount foam on some of the older SU sets I have purchased since the rubber falls of their foam easily. And since I need to trim them anyway, it isn't that much work. But I a collection of clear stamps, unmounted rubber stamps, and wood mounted stamps - more by choice of stamp design. Each style stamps differently and it takes a while to get a feel on how to best stamp with each one. But I do like them all, and thankfully I have had good experiences with them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
I'm not either. I love the wood mounted stamps and don't even look at the unmounted stamps.

I have a friend that bought some stamps off ebay and the seller unmounted the set and didn't tell her. Can you imagine her surprise when she received that in the mail. I'd be so ticked!

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 04:11 AM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

I was so thrilled to hear about SU offering unmounted sets. I've been stamping for a long time and started out buying just the rubber and cling foam. My SU sets take up so much room and with my limited space it was always an issue when I went to make a purchase. The majority of my unmounted rubber is stored in three ring binders with the names of companies on the outside. I stamp the images on a sheet of paper and write the name of the stamp company and stamp same on the sheet. These are put in plastic sheet protectors so the stamped images are on one side of the page and the stamps are on the opposite side.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am one of those people who would prefer to buy unmounted stamps. Saves me the trouble of unmounting them myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 04:32 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Woo hoo love the unmounted option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 04:34 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by InkeePhingersView Post
So, unmounting all my wood stamps and remounting them on cling mount and re-trimming the cling mount....sounds like more work than I care for and more time than I have...then there's the additional expense of getting all new CD cases to store them in and finding some way to label them. I my indeed become a fan of cling mounted once I have used them but I don't think I'll be unmounting any wood mounted stamps anywhere soon!!!! Thanks for letting me know how it's done though! I never wood have guessed!
:mrgreen:

I prefer unmounted, but am too lazy and won't be unmounting all the stamps I have that are already wood-mounted.

I don't prefer to store my sets in CD cases though. They take up too much room even though they're much thinner than clamshell cases. I store them between two sheets of thick clear cardstock, kind of like the way most clear stamp sets come.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

While I will admit to hanging on to some WM's (till i fall in love with them) I have unmounted about 90% of mine. I am soo happy I chose to go primarily UM, I also simply adore finding UM SU in the bst. Even my dh said it's about time UM was offered. I have so much more space for more stamps... Mine are in binders too...

I have the coolest sister in the world, navybrat75!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I have so few SU stamp sets BECAUSE I would not pay for the wood. I have a couple of sets that I never mounted and foam backed them. I have 2 sets that are wood mounted. I like them so much, I have them sitting out on shelves as decorations, so I will not unmount them.

I now, though, will begin purchasing SU stamps....unmounted. I'm excited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Yea for SU!!

I have unmounted almost 1/2 of my 6,000+ stamps (SU and other companies). I like the feel of wood but that doesn't outweigh the benefit of unmounted rubber. The savings on storage and shipping is well worth giving up the wood. The work to unmount can be daunting but I do it a bit at a time. Now SU is saving me the time and effort.

I won't buy another wood mounted SU stamp unless it's something I can't live without (LOL). If I buy unmounted from other companies I'll buy without EZ mount if the cost is not much different, otherwise, I'll mount it myself.

BTW - there are some stamps I'll never unmount (small scene stamps, the lazer engraved wood are too pretty, and some that are old friends and the stained wood reminds of just how much I've used the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #29  
Inking Addict

Regarding resale value, I've NEVER made out on reselling my wood-mount stamps. I always have to take significantly less than the purchase price. I actually stopped trying and when I want to sell old set, I put them out at a yard sale for a few bucks. Once I subtracted fees and/or postage, that's all I was making anyway. Personally, I'd be thrilled to find an already unmounted set because I'm just going to pull that rubber off and put it on cling myself. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2009, 05:40 AM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

i've been putting off buying any new stamp sets until the unmounted ones are available...can't wait
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am all over the unmounted options! I'm in the process of unmounting mine now. I just bought a bunch of the dvd cases from SU! to use for storage. I made a template that I just type in the stamp set name and number in the set and it fits perfectly in the cases and has room on the front where I am stamping the images.

I have been putting vinyl on them but they don't stick well so I'm going back through and putting Mono on all of themso they will stick better. Some day I'll convert them all to EZ mount foam but it's too expensive right now for me.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I am about 1/2 way through unmounting my 100+ SU sets. I would never go back. I love seeing where I'm stamping and waste way less paper. I have a stamp-a-ma-jig but it is too much work for me. I am putting them on ez-mount and love it. It is a bit expensive but I bought enough to get free shipping and in the long run feel its worth it. I read a thread that talked about using a hot knife to cut around the stamp once its on the ez mount - it is such a time saver compared to using your kai scissors. I highly recommend it. If you don't want to spend the $$ on ez-mount I read recently about using vinyl cling sheets from JoAnne's. Haven't tried it because I have plenty ez mount at the moment but I may before buying more. My recommendation - Just do it - you won't regret it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
I have noticed that many posters on this thread and many past threads talk about resale value like there is some kind of guarantee. If you have observed sale prices of most sets (wood mounted) over the past year, they have fallen significantly. Some special sets, Level 3 hostess mostly it seems remain crazy high, but assuming a high resale value (as we all should have learned from the real estate debacle) is probably not a good reason to buy anything.

As a fan of unmounted, I may be biased. Probably I am. I have purchased EZMounted SU sets and I was delighted to find them.

I think that to assume/believe that these stamps will have a high resale value for any reason is not a valid reason to choose wood mounted.

Just my observation. I could be wrong.
I agree... I buy what stamps I like... then if later I get tired of them and want to put them on ebay then fine any money I get out of them is kind of like Icing on the cake. I got to play with them for a while and then make room for new. I think Ebay is such a large forum that there will be lots of people that will bid just because they want that stamp set and that like unmounted. I love finding sets that have already been unmounted. Saves me work.

Hugs
Jaunice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 02:59 AM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

I'm an unmounted fan and would buy SU stamps that had been unmounted and I think that for those that really don't like unmounted, if they were searching high and low for a specific stamp and the only one they could find was unmounted, they would buy it and remount it. To me it gets down to just how much do you want/need that stamp and how cheap can you get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

This must be an American thing. Never heard of it over here. Soo, when I am looking in the BST thread should i be asking questions???? Umounted (UM) to me means they just haven't been used and therefore (still in original form) not mounted onto the wooden block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniewayzView Post
i've been putting off buying any new stamp sets until the unmounted ones are available...can't wait
Me too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,040 Likes on 785 Posts

The last time I looked on ebay, the wood mounted SAB sets and newer hostess sets were selling for more than the unmounted version of the same sets. Obviously, it's just personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #38  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by gailjjView Post
This must be an American thing. Never heard of it over here. Soo, when I am looking in the BST thread should i be asking questions???? Umounted (UM) to me means they just haven't been used and therefore (still in original form) not mounted onto the wooden block.

Unmounted could be considered as you say, new not mounted, but unmounted also means a rubber stamp (not acrylic) stamp that is not mounted on a permanent mount so it even if it's used but not mounted on wood it is still "unmounted."

When looking at Um stamps you need to know if it's new, used, plain rubber, mounted on EZ mount (this sticks to acrylic blocks), or they can be plain rubber that someone has coated with tack-it-over (a glue that will allow you to stick the stamp to an acrylic block.

Make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

Question Looking for.......

To you ladies unmounting your SU sets - I am in need of a 1 1/2" square or 1 1/2" X 2" block for a stamp - if anyone has one available please pm me to work out a sale or trade!

thanks.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniewayzView Post
me three!
Reply With Quote Likes