Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to gypsycrafter
Default SU demonstrater help please.

I am considering becominga SU demonstrater but I am not convinced as it is a lot of money for me tolay out.
I would like you to tell me the best things about being a demonstrater.

Thanks
Shell
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

You get discount on your stamps.

Its like having your very own craft store on hand and its earning you money.

You get to meet lots of lovely interested people.

I know I only tend to buy stamps and think the stamping up ones offer so much more value for money for the amount of co-ordinating stamps you get in the sets compared to shop bought ones.

Its a lot of work but sure to be worth it, I just justified it by saving what I would normally spend on stamps and bits from my LCS for a couple of weeks and I was there,

Tracyxx

Last edited by Jeanne S; 02-13-2008 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: Deleted promotional language
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

yup, the discount! If you think you're going to be outlaying money on SU! products in the near future then you may as well do it for a discount (and profit if you're going to make it into a business)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

If you are holding a demo, do you get any outside help on things to make up etc.

I don't think we have a demonstrater by me and I would be looking into finding a hall to hire once a month and do it as a club.
A bit thing is am I actually confident enough to stand up in front of people and hold a class!!!!
How can I find out if there is already a demonstrater by me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsycrafterView Post
How can I find out if there is already a demonstrater by me?
Go to the "customer" SU Website (www.stampinup.com). Once there, find the 'Demonstrator Locator'. If you insert your "own" zip code into the search parameters, you will find the top-qualified demonstrator nearest you. If you click on "search" again, you will be shown even more names.

But whether or not there are many or few demos near you ... keep this in mind. >> Your possible future in Stampin' Up! does NOT depend on them. It will depend on YOU. Are you seeking just the discount? Then others in your area literally have no bearing on your becoming a demonstrator.

On the other hand, are there more than you can count ... addresses you don't even recognize?? Area codes that don't really seem close to yours? Not to worry one little bit. Why? Because everyone is unique! I do just fine in a totally "saturated" area. Three of my 'local' downline do just as great ... in the same totally saturated area. The other 'local' downline are self-proclaimed hobby demos ... they want no downline ... they can count their customers on one hand. They do just as much as they have always proclaimed that they would do. Not a problem for them or for me! The same applies to my out-of-state downline.

It's really all about 'YOU' and the expectations that 'YOU' have. Honestly! Call your potential downline and just talk about these questions. Tell her what's holding you back ... tell her your fears and ask the questions. Listen to her answers. If you do not feel comfy with that discussion ... you are under no obligation to sign up with her. You need to sign up with someone who you are comfy talking with, you're comfy asking questions ... she seems willing to help with all of that. This is YOUR decision ... and ultimately YOUR SU business. ;)

Good Luck!
~Tex
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You are asking good questions. I was a demo and just re signed. I did it for a couple of reasons, but primarily money and peace of mind!

When I was a demo it was much easier for me to stick primarily with SU products, even though other companies had very very tempting products. When I stuck with SU, everything matched and I could find my stuff in my cluttered room much more easily. To be honest, there are some companies whose stamps and paper I prefer, piece by piece. However, as a whole, I think SU has the best combination of items at the best price. Rejoining is like taking an intervention -- it stops me from buying up everything else I see on the internet!

I am not uber creative and need someone to sort of walk me through making stuff and I think SU does that to a certain extent. I probably won't last a super long time as a demo but it fits my needs now.

I think SU is clearly listening to its demos and has made some changes in the products it offers and the way it does business and this is exciting. It shows me that it is a company that wants to keep up with trends.

If you are not planning on meeting the minimum purchases yourself, and are worried about doing workshops, then I suggest you find a couple of demos and attend their workshops and see what they do. If you plan them out ahead of time (making sure everything is pre cut for example) it really isn't that difficult.

SU's magazines have suggestions on what to demo and literally suggest language just to get you started. A really good upline might be willing to assist you at a workshop just to get your feet wet. And, your family could be guinea pigs. Just do a walk through with them. You might be surprised at how much fun sharing something you love can be.

That said, if you are genuinely enthusiastic about the product but just HATE the idea of talking to groups and/or selling, maybe demoing isn't for you. I wouldn't take a craft you love and turn it into a major source of anxiety, KWIM?? Only you can answer that part!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:07 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you for your answers.
I have looked on the SU website but can;t find the locate a demonstrater on the UK site so I am still non the wiser abouts demonstrators close to me unfortunately.
Is the minimum spend just for the beginner pack or do you have to place a minimum order every so often?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

shell

If you join through an upline they are there to help with this.

After your first starter payment you do have a quarterly target �250 over here.

30% discount on your first order.

But there are incentives to implement to help reach your targets.

Tracyxx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 AM   #9  
Demo Challenge Leader

gypsycrafter ...
Here in the USA, the minimum quarterly amount sold by each demonstrator is $300. However, I do not know what the minimum is for demonstrators in the U.K. If you will call the 800 number for Stampin' Up! tomorrow in the U.K. ... I'm sure they will be able to give you that information and also advise you as to a U.K. demonstrator close to you. I know that I would love to hear the answers they give to you. Good luck in this! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #10  
Demo Challenge Leader

Gypsycrafter!

Here's a Stampin' Up! number for you to try on Wednesday ... this is a Stampin' Up! number in the U.K.! I hope it will help you! ;) Good luck!

The number on the UK demo page for help is

0808 2344765
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:40 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you Grammy, the minimum spend worries me .........:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:46 AM   #12  
Demo Challenge Leader

Don't let that worry you so much that you stop giving it consideration. Truly. Call the U.K. number, ask all of your monetary, factual questions, then consider the information they give you that pertains to the U.K. There's certainly no "rush", and most important things are worth some time to carefully consider.

Include in your thinking & planning ... what classes would I like to hold on a semi-regular basis? Themed card classes? Technique classes? Scrapping classes? Christmas in July class? Birthday card classes? If you plan a monthly class ... or maybe even 2 ... before long, your customer base will surely grow. With the current sale/incentives during Sale-A-Bration ... it's a great time for anyone to "jump in". Relax a bit and give all of the facts some thought. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 04:59 AM   #13  
lmg
Embossing Fanatic

I too am thinking about becoming a SU DEMO, but actually just for myself.... The ideas are wonderful and like Joan B It will seem like all my ducks are in a row!!!!!

you can even join a Demo's group on sps and get even more ideas

The money I spend at lcs and speciality shops and online will be nothing compared to what I'll spend on being a demo and I believe I'll be more organized and not buying alot of little doo-dads instead of something good!!!

My room is is so over whelmed with stuff, like 3 dirrent brand o colored pencils Paper galorethat I love) And su paper is awesome quality...

by giving it a try now during sale-a-bration I think you get extra stuff too

I'll keep you posted and let us know what you decided

Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 06:10 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

you might want to try searching the forums - put in "SU Demo questions" and that should bring up a list of threads that you can read
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am an ex-demo as I had to quit for my health issues. But here are a few more ideas for you

Hooby Demo - If you don't think you can meet the quarterly requirment, There are some hobby demo's that offer the 20% discount to close friends and family. Then with their orders also, the minumum is no problem as it all counts.

Gypsycrafter - you stated about paying for a hall once a month- instead of paying out money for that , start a Stampers 10 group. It is where you get 10 customers to form your group. Each gal has to place a $20.00 minimum order each class.Then once a month 1 gal will be the hostess and have the show at her house. The next month, another gal will be the hostess at her house and so on. With 10 gal placing a $20.00 order, right there is 200.00 a month in sales. I belong to a Stampers 10 and we do 3 cards per class. We all signed up for a month at the beginning. We do take July off. August is used for our first class at my Demo's house and then we do a drawing to see who gets the hostess benifits. Anyone can bring a guest to any of our classes. Our total class sales are never lower than 500.00 a class. The hostess that month also gets all of the SU hostess benifits.

These are just a few more things to think about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

There are a lot of tangible concrete things that are great about being a demo, but for me by far the best thing about being a demo is the freindships i made asa result, With other demonstrators and with customers whom I didn;t know before I became a demo. It is a little intimidating to stand in front of a bunch of people and teach, but guess what? When you're teaching stamping you can si. In fact, instead of being in front of an audience, you can sit around the table with a group of women who will be happy and thankful to you for unleashing their repressed creativity. there's nothing like it to make you feel good about yourself and to make you have a great time demonstrating.

And right now, when Stampin' Up! is so new to the UK, is the absolute best time to join. It's alwasy great to get in on a ground floor of a proven, popular business. I don't know if there is still an opportunity to sign up directly with Stampin' Up!, but if there was i would go for it. Or call them and have them help you find an upline near you.

I'm not sure if the UK has the same deal right now on the starter kit as we do in the US, but if so then there is absolutely no better time than right now to sign up! good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I know this gal - Helen - is a UK demonstrator. I don't know her, know her. I found her blog on the Blog Comment Thread and quickly added her to my check daily blog roll.

Here is her blog address: http://allthingsstampy.blogspot.com/
and I know that she has an email link on her blog.

Good luck! Thanks for asking this question! I too am considering becoming a demo - totally a hobby demo with maybe a workshop a month for some friends thrown in. I'm not counting on it making me any money....but it's still scary to make that commitment, with the minimums and all, KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes