Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question SU Colors - Too Similar

Now that the fervor over the major color changes of last year have died down, I'm still wondering a couple things. One of them is that are a couple of the colors on the permanent color chart too similar to one another to need both?

For instance, Daffodil Delight and So Saffron - aren't they very close? I mean, to the point of making me wonder why I keep supplies in both colors. I work under an Ott light, but I've taken them outside, under incandescent lighting and flourescent lighting, and, to be honest, I have yet to see a situation where either one couldn't be substituted for the other (unless you introduce a DSP).

Also, I realize that Pretty in Pink is darker than Pirouette Pink, but again, they are close enough that either one would work in just about every combo I try.

Likewise with some of the darker reds - although different if held side-by-side, they could easily substitute for one another.

It just seems there is quite a bit of color-redundancy. Am I alone in thinking that I need only one of each of those colors and that I could save $ not stocking pens, paper, markers, embellies, etc. in some of these colors?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

You would think, but it is always my dumb luck that I have a patterned piece of paper that works MUCH better with the color I DON'T have...and then it annoys me. LOL So yes, I have them all paperwise.

As far as inks. I think you can get away with one of 2 close colors. The greens are what I notice is most close...pear and celery...but of course, I do own all the inks, markers...I have issues...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #3  
neglecting the kids and housework

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny that you say this because I detest PIP but fight not to use Pink Pirouette in every card. PIP looks dulled down to me.
RHR is too, maybe brown? for my tastes and I LOVE Cherry Cobbler.

Even when we had RHR as an in color it didn't really speak to me. But I also sort of agree. Cert Celery is similar enough to Pear Pizazz and I like neither that I could interchange them if I needed to. I also think the ink is a large factor. Daffodil ink is nothing like So saffron even if the papers might be similar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Daffodil and Saffron papers are very different. I was making an Easter card yesterday with pastel colors, and had to throw away a Daffodil egg and make a Saffron one because the colors were so different. I agree that Pear and Celery are similar - same color but Pear is just a bit darker. I could live without so many pinks too. But you definately need both yellows.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #5  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 396 Likes on 239 Posts

I have been wondering how close Pear and Celery are. I didn't purchase any of the InColors this year. I was thinking of getting Pear but figured I could make do with Celery. I'm still on the fence about Blushing Bride. I have Blush Blossom to use up so I think I can substitute that for any card I make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I'm not an artist by any means, but I know they like to talk in terms of cool and warm colors. I seem to recall that the two don't mesh well with each other so perhaps that would explain why two colors exist that seem to be close. It might also explain why one color "speaks" to you more than the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 589 Likes on 241 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamperView Post
It's funny that you say this because I detest PIP but fight not to use Pink Pirouette in every card. PIP looks dulled down to me.
RHR is too, maybe brown? for my tastes and I LOVE Cherry Cobbler.

Even when we had RHR as an in color it didn't really speak to me. But I also sort of agree. Cert Celery is similar enough to Pear Pizazz and I like neither that I could interchange them if I needed to. I also think the ink is a large factor. Daffodil ink is nothing like So saffron even if the papers might be similar
Here is why SU! offers lots of colors -- I use PIP when I need a baby pink but I detest Pink Pirouette. I like Riding Hood Red and was happy it came back. I don't use Cherry Cobbler at all, too close to RHR. I love the new colors and those are my only two beefs.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I guess they need all these colors then. I used Cherry Cobbler all through the Christmas season and didn't touch my Riding Hood Red. I find that once I get a good color combo, I get in a rut. I also tend to use colors that match the designer papers and ribbons. I need to find good combos for the colors I don't use.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Cherry Cobbler is one of my favorites.......I guess it's just to each their own likes and dislikes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Daffodil and Saffron are quite a bit different. I don't think I would substitute them. I think you're right about the pinks and reds though. Those couild be interchanged quite easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I'm definitely at the point where I'll make do with "close enough" on SU colors. I realized that several colors are not that different. I think it was Bliss Blue and Brocade Blue that did me in. Those two are so close, and I had a full set of both.

I also jumped on the in-color train until I realized that a year is rather fleeting. Now I only buy in-colors that speak to me.

I have so few current colors, and so many retired colors, that I probably will add some new colors soon.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Kim, what about the Color Coach? That could help you get out of your rut.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
Kim, what about the Color Coach? That could help you get out of your rut.
Personally, the color coach doesn't help me a bit. I find that the colors don't agree with the actual colors at all. I wrote to headquarters about it and their reply was that it's just a "coach" of what colors to use with what. So I'm continuing to use my old 1"x1" squares of each color on a ring and just add the new colors to it.

Wanda G.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

It's so funny how we see different colors! I HATE pretty in pink, but love pirouette and blushing bride. Red is my fave color, but cherry cobbler I could never get to work. RHR is kinda hard too. And I think saffron and daffodil are VERY different. And I love both pear and celery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love love love Cherry Cobbler. I used it all during Christmas and some for Valentine's Day. I am a scrapbooker who migrated to stamping and I did jump on the in color band wagon for my first couple of years. This year the only in color I got was Concord Crush. A year goes quickly and then you can't get the paper. I know its two years now. I need to order some purples from PTI. IMO SU has messed up not having purple. RJR is too brown for me too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I'm definitely at the point where I'll make do with "close enough" on SU colors. I realized that several colors are not that different. I think it was Bliss Blue and Brocade Blue that did me in. Those two are so close, and I had a full set of both.

I also jumped on the in-color train until I realized that a year is rather fleeting. Now I only buy in-colors that speak to me.

I have so few current colors, and so many retired colors, that I probably will add some new colors soon.
Not that it makes a HUGE difference but the in colors are now around for two years. We should be getting 5 new ones also in July...can't wait to see what they are!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Not that it makes a HUGE difference but the in colors are now around for two years. We should be getting 5 new ones also in July...can't wait to see what they are!!!
Actually, that extra year may make the difference. I didn't know that it had changed! I've been wanting Concord Crush because I love deep purples.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 06:06 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

[QUOTE=Oddesigns;18006237]Actually, that extra year may make the difference. I didn't know that it had changed! I've been wanting Concord Crush because I love deep purples.[/QUOTE]

LOL here I go - hijacking the thread I started! BUT I just wanted to suggest, if you use other mfg.'s papers, you should look @ PTI's new color - royal velvet. It was just released this month; this link, about 1/3 of the way down: Papertrey Ink - Quality Photopolymer Stamps with Coordinating Cardstock, Ink and Ribbon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

When I fall in love with a color, I just plain fall in love even if I already have a similar color. I love Certainly Celery but found Pear Pizzazz just different enough that bought it. As far as Cherry Cobbler my opinion is that it is like no other -- just LOVE that color even though I have all the SU reds (current and discontinued) and the PTI reds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

I think the new colour families work really well now, but my complaint is that there aren't enough purples, and no light ones like the old Lavender Lace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
Actually, that extra year may make the difference. I didn't know that it had changed! I've been wanting Concord Crush because I love deep purples.
Sorry you didn't know about it earlier! It was announced with the whole color renovation but there was so much going on a lot of stuff got lost! So now you only have a little over a year with these in colors but you'll know you have two with the new ones:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I have to agree with there being no light purple. I was really disappointed that they didn't come out with a new one since they took Lavender Lace out. I love all the light colours and it's great that there are colours that are similiar to them for shading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapwithsusieView Post
I have to agree with there being no light purple. I was really disappointed that they didn't come out with a new one since they took Lavender Lace out. I love all the light colours and it's great that there are colours that are similiar to them for shading.
I am hoping that the new in colors fill in some of the gaps left by the renovation. I love the new colors that were added but there are so many of the old colors that would coordinate great with the new. I do like having a couple shades in the same colors and can't wait to see what the new colors are!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
LOL here I go - hijacking the thread I started! BUT I just wanted to suggest, if you use other mfg.'s papers, you should look @ PTI's new color - royal velvet. It was just released this month; this link, about 1/3 of the way down: Papertrey Ink - Quality Photopolymer Stamps with Coordinating Cardstock, Ink and Ribbon!
I saw that. I just got a sample pack of PTI paper and like what I've seen so far, so that purple will probably make it's way into my stock at some point.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I thought I'd like Pink Pirouette better than Pretty in Pink but It's just feels too washed out. They are close but "feel" so different. Now Blushing Bride is another close one, but I caved on it...it's such a nice dusty pink.

I think So Saffron could certainly be swapped out for Daffodil. To me tho, there is a big difference...but still they are so close. Weird!

I have all five of the above...but I tend to buy and use about 15 colors. I don't stock up on or use lots of colors like some stampers. So if you have lots of colors and a good variety you like to choose from....more like 25 or more I wouldn't duplicate the close ones either.

I have to say I love Certainly Celery and I really love Pear Pizzazz. It's just a bright, happier version of CC. I also love RHRed and Cherry Cobbler and have both!

I agree, the inks are alot different. More so than the papers.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 02-26-2011 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been thinking of getting Concord Crush and Pink Pirouette. Otherwise I have all of the "old" 48 colors. Just too many to keep up with.
Reply With Quote Likes