Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #321  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
I guess I don't understand why this is so upsetting to people. Yes, there are colors we won't be able to replace after June (Lovely Lilac, sniff). Yes, many of us have all sorts of paper & ink. HOWEVER, there is no reason we can't still use what we have. Even demos can use the retired stuff for personal use, or can sell it for others who don't care if it is retired or not.

There isn't a company around who carries everything into perpetutity. If there were still go-go boots in catalogs, do you think we'd still be buying them? What about satiny disco shirts for guys?
I agree. I am also puzzled why everyone thinks this is so terrible or that SU is out to "get them." Every company changes product lines, especially eliminating those that are not cost effective. For those who are not demos, the colors can still be used. One pad + one reinker = stamping until you are tired of that color. Or until you find a new favorite.

As for me, I'm very glad they are no longer selling satiny disco shirts for guys!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #322  
Kookie Creator

Because of the economy SU and other companies need to change, to stay fresh and updated, to try new business models and ideas. Competition is fierce in the paper craft industry; staying stagnant in this fast-moving industry is one of the quickest ways to obsolescence.

That said, I'm one of the people who wants new colors from SU even though I have the full set of current colors and am on a limited budget. I'm tired of the current colors - so many are looking dated and dowdy. Buying every new color isn't really an option for me and that's totally ok. I'm not going to get hissy at SU or any other company because I can't have every product of theirs that I want.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #323  
Hardware Hotshot

Mainly I think everyone thinks they can't continue to use their old colors because they will run out of paper eventually and have markers, ink pads, and re-inkers left over...I'm hoping what I stock up on is the right amount. I've had a hard time deciding how many pads of paper and should I get re-inkers.

I don't have any re-inkers now and I've stamped for four years. I've also heard ink pads eventually break down. Mine never have. I won't miss a lot of the colors...but I've just decided to get a re-inker for a few and a few packs of paper . By the time I run out (which will be a looooong time), I'll be on to other colors.

While I'm not mourning a lot of the colors, I understand everyone's pain! It's just so many colors at once. I think once the transition takes place everyone will see they can still use up what old colors they have and move into the new.

It's mainly the loss of colors and the investment that has been made. Once the paper is gone the ink pad and markers may be useless. I'll probably still use mine in some way. For many this hits pocket books hard!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 04-22-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #324  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Mainly I think everyone thinks they can't continue to use their old colors because they will run out of paper eventually and have markers, ink pads, and re-inkers left over...I'm hoping what I stock up on is the right amount. I've had a hard time deciding how many pads of paper and should I get re-inkers.

I don't have any re-inkers now and I've stamped for four years. I've also heard ink pads eventually break down. Mine never have. I won't miss a lot of the colors...but I've just decided to get a re-inker for a few and a few packs of paper . By the time I run out (which will be a looooong time), I'll be on to other colors.

While I'm not mourning a lot of the colors, I understand everyone's pain! It's just so many colors at once. I think once the transition takes place everyone will see they can still use up what old colors they have and move into the new.

It's mainly the loss of colors and the investment that has been made. Once the paper is gone the ink pad and markers may be useless. I'll probably still use mine in some way. For many this hits pocket books hard!
Because I tend to be a "collector" (that's a better word than "hoarder" isn't it? ;)), I will still have papers that use retired colors (okay, I also have a ton of single color packs of CS because I'm a demo and that's how I buy it). When I use all my paper that has retired colors, then I'm going to sell my retired color pads in sets (pad, reinker, pastel, marker, and whatever CS I have left if any).

I won't demo anything retired, but that doesn't mean I can't use it in my personal scrapbooking, plus I do all my pages in quad - one for me, one of each of my three children. I can demo a page with current stuff and make copies for the kids' books with retired product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #325  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Just wanted to say that in my experience, our stamp pads last a long time! I know people who have the "old ones" and are still going strong. I have had to re-ink VERY few pads and I've had mine for over two years and stamp quite a bit. I have also found that the re-inkers last a very long time too! Unless you make those pesky but pretty glittered re-inker ornaments...they use a lot of ink!!! :-) So, a pad and re-inker SHOULD last a long time even with heavy use (at least in the midwest where I am, not sure about arid climates).

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #326  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Ginger,...just wanted to say I love the description "satiny disco shirts for guys"!!!

Giggel,...snort,...hehehehehehehehehehehe!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #327  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, still getting used to the idea of new colors! I'm glad I just buy colors I like. I'm definitely loving the idea of in colors coming back. I'm curious to see the new colors though......does anyone have a list of what is leaving and what is coming in??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #328  

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLITZBUGView Post
Wow, still getting used to the idea of new colors! I'm glad I just buy colors I like. I'm definitely loving the idea of in colors coming back. I'm curious to see the new colors though......does anyone have a list of what is leaving and what is coming in??
You can find it on a lot of the SU! demos' blogs, including here

FTTC63 Sketching Springtime by mnfroggie at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #329  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnfroggieView Post
You can find it on a lot of the SU! demos' blogs, including here

FTTC63 Sketching Springtime by mnfroggie at Splitcoaststampers
Lovely card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 05:56 AM   #330  

I'm sorry sorry!
I pasted the wrong link!

Here is a link to a blog with all the color info

http://www.mychicnscratch.com/2010/0...ng-colors.html

Thanks Cindy for leaving me a sweet compliment instead of flaming me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #331  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnfroggieView Post
I'm sorry sorry!
I pasted the wrong link!

Here is a link to a blog with all the color info

http://www.mychicnscratch.com/2010/0...ng-colors.html

Thanks Cindy for leaving me a sweet compliment instead of flaming me!
Clearly an oversight....;->
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #332  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay.......I am excited about the new color line up! I rearranged my color caddy and I find that I only need 9 inkpads to have the full set (some I am not too sure about whether I like the colors or not,like Cajun Craze and Perfect Plum). Not too bad overall.

The only dishearting thing is the all the other colors that will not be on that caddy. I will order extra CS only for my retiring favorites and just use them sparingly.

I do understand why a lot of folks are unhappy.....huge $$$$ spent on all the retiring product all at one time. Not sure if I will sell my used items on B/S/T or not, just yet. But, then again, maybe it is time to start fresh....???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #333  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks Trina for the new color info!! And Cindy was right, that card was really pretty!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #334  
Inking Addict

I agree about purples. There could never be enough, but at least there should be a higher representation. My demostrator is a redhead and is always saying how she can't understand why I don't like many colors, she loves them all (I'm a brunette). It is because SU caters to redheads, the autumns and springs in the world (like Shelly). Not many winters in there, not many clean 'jewel' colors. There weren't many before, even less now.
When I first came to SU they had just 'revamped' their colors, that was less than 5 years ago. Then my demo said they were coming out with the in colors to 'keep the colors new and up to date' without having to redo the whole system again. And here we are, revamping the whole system again. I feel for all those that did buy complete color families just recently, and new demos that may have just bought a slew of basic supplies in the old colors that they will not be able to use or demonstrate in 2 months. It's too bad SU didn't just say, hey, we decided to change colors again but will wait till January or next July to roll them out. That would give everyone a chance to use/demo the old colors and 'talk up the changes'.
I bought into the 'buy the whole set of a color', paper, ink, reinker, marker, buttons and bows etc. Many of the colors I have are now obsolete. I won't do it again though, can't afford to sink so much into something that will be gone in a flash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #335  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
This is in the "it figgers" catagory for me. At SAB I finished my collection of all color families. Ink, paper, reinkers, markers. grrrrrrr.
Amen... I did the same thing. I finally had all the inks, all the crayons, all the markers and reinkers.. but on the bright side.... the pads and reinkers will last me a really long time so for quite a while into the future... I Have a boatload of colors at my disposal.

Hugs
Jaunice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #336  
Stazon Splitcoast

As a new demo(end of March), I must say that I am GLAD I didn't spend a fortune stocking myself on all colors. I had a list of what I was buying and got notice of a color change literally days before I'd planned to order. Let's just say that I tossed that list.

If I had planned to make this a business, I would have been VERY upset to have laid out all that cash without warning. I don't remember what delayed my order, but whatever it was, I'm GLAD it happened. I just hope other newbies that joined within the past four to six months didn't outlay too much money for things they can't use on the business side. When you're just starting, most people cannot afford to stock both their personal shelves AND their business ones.

However, ALL that aside, I personally love the new colors and only found a couple of head scratchers. I do feel badly for people who work with children a lot. The loss of primary colors will hit them hard, but hey, they can shop elsewhere for it I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #337  
Mad Swapper

I'm excited about the change. I love all the fresh new colors. Sure I'm disappointed a couple of my favorites are leaving.. especially Barely Banana, but I know trends change. I get bored with the same ol' same ol' myself. I even paint the walls in my house and change out the accessories every 5 or so years for a fresh, new look.

I'm not a demo, so obviously this change is easier for me, although I do have every single stamp pad/marker. I'll continue to use up my supplies as long as I like until they're gone. Then it's time to move on. Like the old adage.. When one door closes, another opens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #338  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelagrafxView Post
I agree about purples. There could never be enough, but at least there should be a higher representation. My demostrator is a redhead and is always saying how she can't understand why I don't like many colors, she loves them all (I'm a brunette). It is because SU caters to redheads, the autumns and springs in the world (like Shelly). Not many winters in there, not many clean 'jewel' colors. There weren't many before, even less now.
When I first came to SU they had just 'revamped' their colors, that was less than 5 years ago. Then my demo said they were coming out with the in colors to 'keep the colors new and up to date' without having to redo the whole system again. And here we are, revamping the whole system again. I feel for all those that did buy complete color families just recently, and new demos that may have just bought a slew of basic supplies in the old colors that they will not be able to use or demonstrate in 2 months. It's too bad SU didn't just say, hey, we decided to change colors again but will wait till January or next July to roll them out. That would give everyone a chance to use/demo the old colors and 'talk up the changes'.
I bought into the 'buy the whole set of a color', paper, ink, reinker, marker, buttons and bows etc. Many of the colors I have are now obsolete. I won't do it again though, can't afford to sink so much into something that will be gone in a flash.
The new In Color, Concord Crush, is a beautiful purple!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #339  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm happy that they have made some changes. But I also am glad I didn't complete my Watercolor Crayons collection as I had planned earlier this year.

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #340  
Inking Addict

Can anyone tell us what Concorde Crush is like IRL?
I saw it on someone's blog and it appeared to be a dark blueish purple color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #341  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by angel08View Post
Can anyone tell us what Concorde Crush is like IRL?
I saw it on someone's blog and it appeared to be a dark blueish purple color.
It's a dark blue purple. My daughter has a hoodie from Aeropostale that is exactly the color of the cardstock. It's GOJUS!

The marker, though, is darker than the cardstock, so dark that it is almost black. I'm hoping the ink pad is closer to the color of the cardstock.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 04:51 AM   #342  
Inking Addict

Thanks Jane, I did see the Concord Crush yesterday at my demo's. It was a printout from the computer. I gotta say, if it is even close to the printout it will be one of the best purples SU has come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #343  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelagrafxView Post
Thanks Jane, I did see the Concord Crush yesterday at my demo's. It was a printout from the computer. I gotta say, if it is even close to the printout it will be one of the best purples SU has come up with.
It really is amazingly gorgeous. And paired with Blushing Bride and Gray.... WOW!!!

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #344  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I've been checking out the preview gallery. Oh my goodness, some of those colors are incredible! I like how all the in colors look, especially the Concord Crush and Peach parfait, and the Cherry Cobbler and Early Espresso are definitely must haves. I really hope I don't like the new stamps sets (not likely) because I'm going to need to buy lots of paper, ink and ribbon. I am so happy that SU has done this, though I still wish there was a light purple! But we can't always have everything when we want it, I guess.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes