Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #81  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few years ago, right before Stampin Up opened in Australia, my family and I moved to Australia. So I bought 7 packs of each color of cardstock to last a lifetime, because Stampin Up wasn't available in Australia. Lo and behold they announced they were starting there about a month after we arrived. Long story short, we returned to the US because it was just too hard on the kids, and MIL became ill. So....... I now have 192 unopened packs of retiring cardstock!!!!!!!!!! As well as an opened pack for each color. I think I win as the one who loses the most, however I just reorganized all of my cardstock and the packs of staying/current cardstock look so nice together, so I'm not going to complain. I'm looking forward to the fresh new color combos to come. I'm sad however that Soft Sky (have 8 packs of that) and Kiwi Kiss (4 packs) aren't coming back.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #82  
Insane Embellisher

Oh, I still have 3 packs of Bliss Blue and 8 packs of Mauve Mist from the last color reoganization, so I don't think I'll order any extras this time LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #83  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwistamperView Post
A few years ago, right before Stampin Up opened in Australia, my family and I moved to Australia. So I bought 7 packs of each color of cardstock to last a lifetime, because Stampin Up wasn't available in Australia. Lo and behold they announced they were starting there about a month after we arrived. Long story short, we returned to the US because it was just too hard on the kids, and MIL became ill. So....... I now have 192 unopened packs of retiring cardstock!!!!!!!!!! As well as an opened pack for each color. I think I win as the one who loses the most, however I just reorganized all of my cardstock and the packs of staying/current cardstock look so nice together, so I'm not going to complain. I'm looking forward to the fresh new color combos to come. I'm sad however that Soft Sky (have 8 packs of that) and Kiwi Kiss (4 packs) aren't coming back.

Yes, I do believe the "she with the most" prize goes to you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #84  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Not a lot I like lately - but this is good news

I don't have, nor will I purchase a Big Shot. I won't be ordering any of the Big Shot dies or wall art.

The most recent stamps aren't all that interesting to me lately either.

But the color re-org is good news to me. I started with SU one month after their last color re-org years ago. I loved loved loved the very first round of InColors and was so sad when they went away. I never really got into them after that because I knew they would go away and I didn't want to lose my favorite colors again.

But now the most popular ones are back and will be around for a few years. I love the idea that the InColors will have a 2 year life-span now too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Kiwistamper, that's AMAZING that you have that much!! I have 1-2 unopened packs of all the colors, but I'm keeping it. Even though I'm a demo, I love colors and have no plans on getting rid of ANYTHING (yes, I keep all my retired stamp sets too).

But you *definitely* win the prize for the most retiring cardstock!!

I love being able to plan a Stamp Camp and use ANY color for my projects and not have to work around the colors that I have "enough" of! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #86  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by nursemccrafty1View Post
I was completely blind-sided by this and in utter shock! So I posted on the SU board...Can we please rethink this and put it to an all-demo vote. OMG---I was hit hard by rude and mean people telling me there will be NO "vote" and this is a business not a democracy! They posted to quit being negative and get over it that I have a bad attitude. Wow, I was HURT! So harsh, so rude and cruel. I have, like many others have invested a boat load of money into inks, craft/classic/spots/markers/crayons/pencils/pastels and paper 8.5 x 11, 12 x 12, textured, and DSP over the years and this is a HUGE DELETION ALL AT ONCE. I do love the new colors, but my entire arsenal is built on the old. I don't call this whining, as I was accused of doing....I call this going through the stages of the grieving process. Be Real---this is a huge bite all at one time. But, the meanness just made me sad and so very hurt that the sharks came out in droves to beat the new colors in to me until I bleed them out. so much for the SU sisterhood :(
Yeah, I saw those posts and so sorry you got hit like that. I didn't think that was right. I was really upset about it last night, but once I sat down this morning and looked at the colors in person- they really are beautiful together. I am ok with it now. You are right though- it does take some time to get used to, longer for some than others. We need to have compassion for those who are taking this new change hard and help to encourage them. I left a nice comment for you though .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #87  
Compulsive Stamper

I am a little dismayed at the sweeping change, but am looking forward to updating my color collection. I had in the past bought the craft ink pads and the spots in the regular ones, but this time around I will buy the classic pads and the spots in the craft. Makes better sense that way. So I really need to buy a lot of classic pads....uhoh on my budget though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #88  
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone know if Crumb Cake is going to be the natural kraft (with the flecks in it) that SU has now or if it's going to be a flat kraft color?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #89  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherryonionView Post
Does anyone know if Crumb Cake is going to be the natural kraft (with the flecks in it) that SU has now or if it's going to be a flat kraft color?
My understanding is that is the same paper, only different name.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #90  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
Here's what I am going to do or more importantly, not do. I will not be "stocking up" on anything. I will use up what I have and when it is gone, I will get another similar color from SU or PTI or whoever. I can certainly live and create without one specific color.
Thank you for this. I totally agree! I fell for it before with the In Colors and just had to stock up becuase you never know....the whole industry could collapse and I would have to have some Baja Breeze to be able to go on with my crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #91  
Crimping Master

Oh, and I am really, really, looking forward to Crumb Cake ink.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #92  
Insane Embellisher

Happy Inker, your link on page 2 didn't work and you said to see post #115. I don't see a post #115. Can you help me out? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #93  
Crimping Master

So sorry, I must have posted the wrong thread post number. Go to my blog. I hope that posting the picture is not in violation of any rules.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #94  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you! Well, not only do Cherry Cobbler and Crumb Cake sound good enough to eat, they look like a great combo to me.
By the way, those Eastern Blooms cards are gorgeous! Nice work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #95  
Crimping Master

Glad I could help. Thank you. :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #96  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

It is so interesting reading everyone's reactions to this announcement. I am just a hobby demo, but I am stoked about the change! I love how they have reorganized the color families, and I think they work really well together. I can already see new color combinations. I think SU needed this change to stay competitive in the market.
When I first signed on as a demo, SU retired at least 7 of their colors, and I had just bought all the paper, ink, reinkers, markers, and pastels. I was not very happy, but I got over it. I kept the colors I really liked, and I still use them. I sold the ones I didn't use.
As a completer myself (I need everything in every color), I can understand others desire to complete their collection. But in reality, how often have I used Gable Green? Maybe the paper once. Never used the ink pad, reinker, marker or pastel. So should I be upset at SU for getting rid of this ridiculously outdated color when I was the one who had to have it all? Of course not! That is my issue, not theirs. I can think of many other colors I have only used a few times, and most of them are going. (Blush Blossom, anyone?) I will be more than happy to free up some space to make room for the new. I say good riddance...it's about time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #97  
Stampin' Fool

Like many people, my initial thought was WHAT??? ARE YOU KIDDING??? But after looking at the new color families and the new colors (and the in colors that they are bringing back), I am very excited. I have been a demo for six years and there are colors I NEVER use. Oddly, many of them are being retired.

Personally, I think the colors needed updating and am eager to get the new colors and start playing with them.

I do agree that you cannot please everyone. But they are a company and they are going through tough economic times just as their demos and customers are. If you have 50+ colors available and some of them just don't sell, how long do you leave those "orphan colors" hanging on just because a small handful like them? I think they made a wise decision and knew they would have backlash from their decision. But it was not a snap decision - it's been two years in the works before deciding to go with it.

Personally, I'm tickled PINK that Pink Pirouette and Riding Hood Red are coming back. I'm in the process of painting my scrapbook room that exact pink and really was dreaming of RHR to go with it and the Chocolate Chip.

Ginger

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendant23View Post

All one can say is you can't please all of the people all of the time. I truly understand SUs decision now that it has been explained to me through their online resources. For many people, there will be positives and negatives, like all changes.

snip

Really, if any vendor carries the same stuff in 20 years, how dated would that be?

This change is large, but part of SUs bigger plan to keep their palette fresh (and manageable for consumers) for years to come.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #98  
Insane Embellisher

I have all of my in-colors ink pads and cs from all the past years. A demo said she had punched out scallop circles of all the new core colors collections(minus the 5 we can't order yet) so I did the same and mounted them on WW CS. All I can say is WOW! The colors look fresh and new. "old" colors looked new again next to the new core colors. I stamped an image next to the CS, too. Made 3 new cards with new color combos...I am so excited!!! This is my second color change with SU and I was sad at first but after seeing my color chart I can't wait to get my hands on new stuff!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #99  
Compulsive Stamper

What?? I JUST got into SU and already they are changing colors?? Oye vey! Some of these colors that are retiring are being used for my wedding stationary!!!!...I need to order the colors that match my wedding ASAP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #100  
Glitter Queen

READ IT AND WEEP
GLORIOUS GREEN
GREEN GALORE
GABLE GREEN
YOYO YELLOW
ONLY ORANGE
PINK PASSION
PIXIE PINK
ORCHID OPULENCE
LOVELY LILAC
CREAMY CARAMEL
MORE MUSTARD
RUBY RED
CAMEO CORAL
SUMMER SUN
BORDERING BLUE
BROCADE BLUE
BALLET BLUE
TAKEN WITH TEAL
HANDSOME HUNTER
PALE PLUM
BLUSH BLOSSOM
APRICOT APPEAL
BARELY BANANA
MELLOW MOSS
SAGE SHADOW
ALMOST AMETHYST
LAVENDER LACE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #101  
Crimping Master

When I first got the list, I was like, huh?

But looking at the colours going, the only ones I will miss are

-Taken with Teal, just because I love it...
-Pixie Pink (I do birthday cards for church and little girls love that hot pink)
-Green Galore and Gable Green - great for boys, esp with turquoise
-Glorious Green and Handsome Hunter for Christmas cards
-Close to Cocoa

As it stands, I will get more Taken with Teal cs and a reinker, because they did not add Bermuda Bay to the new stuff.

I won't worry about the Pixie Pink because the Melon Mambo will work, or the Razzleberry. Well, I may get 1 more back.

I am debating the bright greens... I just love 'em.

I won't worry about the Glorious Green and Handsome Hunter - Wild Wasabi, Old Olive and Always Artichoke are all good for Christmas cards, esp with Eggplant or Burgandy.

Close to Cocoa is no loss given the new browns.

So now, I hope to see something purple in the In Colours, as well as a good dark green that is Christmassy. Garden Green is blech, imo. I wish it had gone and Hunter had stayed.

I also would have been happy to lose Not Quite Navy and More Mustard. I hate them. Never, ever use them.

Many of the ink colours I do have that are retiring I never use anyway, so it is fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #102  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by willstampforfoodView Post
Michele is correct. There will also be a total of 10 In-Colors added, in groups of 5. Each set of five will be available for TWO years instead of one! ~W

I am lost... what do you mean re: 10 In-Colors in groups of 5? So like 5 will start in 2010 and go for 2 years, then 5 more in 2011 for 2 years, so only one set is retiring at a time?

Or do you mean there are the Subtles, Brights, Regals, Neutrals, In Colour A and In Colour B all July 1, 2010?

Why do the In Colours in 2 groups of 5? Why not 1 group of 10? Somehow it seems more confusing the way you are describing.

I could just be tired and on info overload. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #103  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subbing! OH lately I am taken with taken with teal. other than that, I think I'm okay with the changes. My what a surprise!!!! Some of the colours were old and tired.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #104  
Postapalooza Mama

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Like Val said, you win! :twisted:;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #105  
Stampin' Fool

Close to Cocoa is one of my favorite SU colors. It's a shame. I use the spot all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 AM   #106  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyinkerView Post
Me too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:40 AM   #107  
Pearl-ExPert

so this also means that the markers,pencils, watercolor crayons and ribbons also will be getting made over too? that's exciting!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:01 AM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

well at least they are not bringing back Marvalous ( sp) Mauve
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:23 AM   #109  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I don't understand what you lose in this situation. You have lots of cardstock in the retiring colors. That's great, because you have enough to last you for a long time even after they aren't available anymore. If you pick up a reinker for your favorite retiring colors, you'll be set to use those colors forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 AM   #110  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I painted most of the interior of my house in the mid 90s. Lo and behold Benjamin Moore changed its colors! When I went back my gorgeous color was gone. I was able to get a very close match using another company.

It's the nature of retail, especially anything to do with design. Color trends change. Everything changes. You buy 8,000 yards of narrow ribbon and poof, it's yesterday's news and you "need" wide ribbon or your ribbon looks stale. It's the nature of the business and it is what keeps the economy going!

I debated for about a year: SU's stuff or PTI's stuff. I finally went with PTI because of the color choices. I thought SU's were stale and just not attractive to me. So I invested a lot in some of PTI's paper ink and ribbons, donated my large SU ink pads to a charity and the rest is history.

If SU had this color palette just 2 months ago I never would have purchased PTI's. C'est la vie!! The new colors are gorgeous and yes, it is pricey to switch over but there's no law that says anyone, even a demo, has to get all the new colors at once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 04:26 AM   #111  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollyfanView Post
I am lost... what do you mean re: 10 In-Colors in groups of 5? So like 5 will start in 2010 and go for 2 years, then 5 more in 2011 for 2 years, so only one set is retiring at a time?

Or do you mean there are the Subtles, Brights, Regals, Neutrals, In Colour A and In Colour B all July 1, 2010?

Why do the In Colours in 2 groups of 5? Why not 1 group of 10? Somehow it seems more confusing the way you are describing.

I could just be tired and on info overload. LOL.
You got it right the first time. 10 in colors, each good for 2 years, 5 rotating out each year to be replaced with 5 new in colors.

I'm really excited about this!

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 AM   #112  
Hardware Hotshot

This might be my perfect time to break away completely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #113  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbiejoView Post
WHat is PTI??
Papertrey Ink. Another company.

I was initially shocked by this and disappointed...but then again, I'm fairly new to all this stamping world stuff... so I think, with time, I'll adjust.

I'd switch completely over to PTI if it wasn't for the fact that their new ink pad formula and I don't get along. It's not a bash on the company... it's just that it's not my type of ink.

I'm thankful I just bought all 48 reinkers, but now I'm not sure about what to do with the paper? I reckon I'll buy just an extra package of my most favorite colors and when that goes, that goes.

It's not like I can't continue to use the ink pads, right? I mean... the colors will always "go" with something else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 04:52 AM   #114  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm excited too, but I'm hoping the next In Colors will be heavy on purples, greens and yellows... the palette is a light in those areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 04:54 AM   #115  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyinkerView Post
Me too, me too!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 04:55 AM   #116  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
so this also means that the markers,pencils, watercolor crayons and ribbons also will be getting made over too? that's exciting!!
Yes, and from what we have been told you will be able to purchase kits with the new colors so you won't have to buy the whole sha-bang over again!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:03 AM   #117  
Polyshrink Goddess

Many good thoughts on this post...here are mine!! As a relatively new stamper, I have invested quite a bit in SU papers and inks. I love the designer papers and am frustrated that it will be hard to match the papers. I was not tired of the old colors, so I did not feel the need for change. I will try not to be loyal to one company in the future. That may be the best way to enjoy stamping for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #118  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecountryroseView Post
We don't know what the new In Colors will bring yet, so I think that Stampin' Up! will round out some colors through them. Let's wait and see what July brings in the new In Colors. And then there will be next year's In Colors which will be added to this year's new ones, so maybe we will get some great purples!
I recently finished an exhausting wedding invitation project for my sister in law and have been slowly trying to get back my creative juju so I have not posted to SCS in over a year. However, after watching the webinar last night (I am a hobby demo), I just had to come here to see what everyone was saying. I am all about change- I know that we all strive to keep current with our designs. However, in my humble opinion, this change should have been implemented more gradually. I love the new colors, but it seems that there are now giant holes in the palette. SU didn't just eliminate one shade of light purple, they eliminated *all shades of light purple*! It doesn't matter to me if all the new colors work well together if there simply does not exist an option for certain shades. Discontinue *both* pixie pink and pink passion but keep Pretty in Pink and bring back the virtually identical Pink Pirouette? I just don't get it. Is it really a good idea to have two almost identical shades while offering no lavender options? Overall, the new color scheme is great if you're into an overall earthy theme, but if you're a fan of a pink and purple color scheme and you're primarily a SU addict, it might be time to find another hobby. I am not a sourpuss- like I said, I know that change can be a good thing as it pertains to papercrafting, but such a sudden and abrupt shift that leaves entire shades out of the palette is upsetting to me. I have not bothered to write to SU to let them know what I think because, honestly, I am pretty sure that they just don't care what I think. Nevertheless, its upsetting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #119  
Gallery Gazer

I was reading threads late last night so I don't know where it was I saw someone ask how to go about selling off retiring colors...may not have even been on SCS..anyway...I just did this last year...and it was successful for me. So successful in fact I bought all 4 sets of Ciao Copics with what I made from selling what I did. I sold stampsets too, but I thought I'd share what worked for me. Keep in mind there's always stampers and scrappers who aren't company specific and would love even retired stuff at a lower price. Our cast offs may grab that one person who was not interested before. ;-)

I packaged the inkpad, cardstock, scraps, marker, and reinker to each color in a gallon ziplock. I then set a price based on how much cardstock was there, condition, etc.

I originally wanted to sell them individually, but I ended up doing it as a two bulk buys. The first was a lot of the colors which had the most supply. The second was a lot of smaller quantities. Demos should have no trouble doing the individual packs with their customers.

I kept some sheets of most colors and packs of others that I used more frequently. I have several inkpads from different companies and generally I have no trouble coordinating inks from one company with paper from another. I love the matchy thing...but after awhile it's just too overwhelming FOR ME..and space is an issue.

I'm not a demo anymore nor do I submit for publications so I don't care so much whether I know exactly which company a cardstock came from. I usually coordinate cardstock with a pattern paper anyway, then move to ink. I have all my cardstock from multiple companies organized by color/shade so if one green doesn't work, the next one will. I don't think the quality of my work has suffered one bit by not having as much to choose from .

Have fun! Hope this helps someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #120  
Hardware Hotshot

I won't miss most of the colors that are leaving, but 29 is just so many and they are not going to have 48 plus the neutrals. It will be 30 plus the neutrals. I'm not positive, but aren't there 48 colors now? Plus the in-colors.

I won't be selling off any of mine...I love what I have and will use them up!
Reply With Quote Likes