Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Clear Mount Problems

I have a hard time getting my SU clear mounted stamps to stay on my acrylic blocks. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you solve it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

I had a problem at first but I noticed if I pressed hard on the acrylic for 30 secs that it stayed better on it. Hope that helps some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

The first thing I would do is was my block in some warm water with a tiny bit of soap make sure you rinse and dry it well. If that doesn't help try warming the part of the stamp that clings to the block by holding it in the palm of your hand for a few seconds or huffing on it .
I haven't had a problem with Su clings but this has worked on other cling stamps I've had trouble with.
Failing any of that repo hermie is your best friend though you will need to clean the block again after.
HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

wow! Funny I found this thread...I'm having the same problem. I just was stamping yesterday and was a bit sad to find the stamp fell right off the block. I hate to think I need to get a bowl of warm water to my crafting table with everything else I have to put out when I stamp. I love the SU blocks...simply LOVE them! Anyone has suggestions or the same problem?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First make sure that your block and cling part of your stamp are cleaned off. The oil from your skin can make the stamps not cling. You do have to press on the stamps for a couple of seconds to make them stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I've had this problem too. It's not a good thing when you're trying to demo a clear-mount and you can't get to stay on the block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #7  
kt3
Crimping Master

Hi, there.

I suggest just making sure your blocks and stamps are clean, then making sure you give the images a good "oomph" to apply. I do this by placing the stamp/image on my table then pushing the clear block on top of it. Almost like I'm stamping, but just on top of my table (or scrap paper) and with no ink. If you press firmly for 20-30seconds or so it should have a strong cling. We have to remember it's a cling, not a sticky, so it needs that time & pressure to adhere, it won't be instant like a sticker.

They're awesome though! Great for cutting down space (room for more stamps!) and finding exactly what image you want by looking at the "thumbnail" images on the side of the storage container, plus of course the obvious of lining up images easily on your projects.

Good luck everyone! Hope this helps a bit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I have 4 sets of cling mount stamps from SU and I can't get any of them to stick to the block. I have washed and dried the blocks, used rubbing alcohol on the blocks to make sure they are very clean. Sorry to say, I will not be purchasing any more SU cling mount stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb smithView Post
I have 4 sets of cling mount stamps from SU and I can't get any of them to stick to the block. I have washed and dried the blocks, used rubbing alcohol on the blocks to make sure they are very clean. Sorry to say, I will not be purchasing any more SU cling mount stamps.
Don't give up yet. Are you using the image stickers? That could be the problem. If the cling itself, without the sticker, isn't sticking, call your demonstrator. Without the image sticker, the clear mount stamps work like a charm. I tried the stickers and ended up peeling them off and using the bare cling. Love it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My customer was having this same problem. The stamp was sliding on the block and/or not staying on. She didn't realize that you have to remove the white layer that is protecting the cling that is already on the foam mount. She was putting the cling stickers on the white layer. When you look at your image it should be a black image on a gray background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 01:55 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Someone had told me to breathe on the sticker before placing on the block. That does help. I will also mention that on a subsequent set I got, I opted not to put the stickers on. Wow! The cling material is much better than the stickers. I can even get the stamps to stick to the box. I would say if you are still unhappy with the stickiness, consider using Aleen's Tack it Over and Over which can be purchased from Michael's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:47 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Is your block clean? I use my SU! clear mount sets with nonsu! clear blocks (If that makes a difference, I don't know but I doubt it) If they aren't clean - I have a problem. The other thing I noticed is if I'm trying to use a block that is a smidge too small. I just make sure that when I put it on I press a few seconds. With clear/acrylic stamps I don't have to press - once I figured that out - I haven't had any issues.

HTH Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally this is to much work to get a clear stamp to stick to the block in my opinion. I like to stick and stamp.
I ended up cutting the clear sticker images smaller than the stamp so it will have an actual edge of the cling. It does work better but not perfect. Also you have to cut very very close to the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:54 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 513 Likes on 230 Posts

I have read many comments about the cling stickers not sticking as well as the cling foam by itself. That has been my experience at my demo's house as well.

All my stamps are unmounted on EZMount and I love them. I am using the SU stamps WITHOUT the stickers and don't have problems. I, like monkeygirl above, would suggest removing the sticker. You really don't need it.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:55 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

I have found that "huffing" (like you do when remoistening a stamp you have coloured with markers) on the clear block before adhering the stamp helps them to stick. The other alternative that I've seen is using an old spray bottle and spritzing the block before adhering the stamp. I have done the former and have had no problems at all. I LOVE the clear-mount stamps...not only for space saving reasons, but also because they're so much cheaper (which means I can afford to buy more sets!!!)

Hope this helps because the clear mount stamps really are a great alternative to bulky wood mounted ones!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:41 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDiegoGalView Post
My customer was having this same problem. The stamp was sliding on the block and/or not staying on. She didn't realize that you have to remove the white layer that is protecting the cling that is already on the foam mount. She was putting the cling stickers on the white layer. When you look at your image it should be a black image on a gray background.
DUH! and YAY!!! That is EXACTLY what I was doing. DUH me! Now it's holding on perfectly!!!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:42 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never liked that vinyl cling material that is used for the stickers and will choose not to place the stickers on the foam. IMHO, the cling foam is far superior just as it is!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:47 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb smithView Post
Along with your blocks, the stamps (the cling part) need to be clean. We get them dirty just by putting the label on (if you did) and by handling them. Also, I have found if I swipe them across my stampin scrub they tend to stick better. As others have said you do have to press firmly and for a good while...they don't just stick "like that". HTH!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I think the stickers are a great idea, but, after trying it on one stamp, I peeled it back off. I have other unmounted that don't have the images on the back so it isn't a big deal. I love the clear mount option tho. I am limited on space so that is what I will order from here out. I haven't had any trouble when demoing them either, even the small ones stay put really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:01 AM   #20  

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
I think the stickers are a great idea, but, after trying it on one stamp, I peeled it back off. I have other unmounted that don't have the images on the back so it isn't a big deal. I love the clear mount option tho. I am limited on space so that is what I will order from here out. I haven't had any trouble when demoing them either, even the small ones stay put really well.
I know they stick even better without the sticker but I just can't do it, hahaha. I HAVE to have the sticker so I can see the image. I'm only a little OCD I guess:-) I KNOW what I'm stamping but I have to see it:-p I'm loving the clear mount by the way!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:11 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I know they stick even better without the sticker but I just can't do it, hahaha. I HAVE to have the sticker so I can see the image. I'm only a little OCD I guess:-) I KNOW what I'm stamping but I have to see it:-p I'm loving the clear mount by the way!
I wish they had worked better, but I am ok with not having them on there. I did save them so if at some point I decide to use them I do still have them. But that is the great thing, you can decide what works best for you. I think I only have a couple other brand unmounted that have an image on the back of them and they work pretty good but I think the image is inked onto the foam rather than on a sticker, so maybe they will work into that....that would be sweet!( To quote my kids.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:35 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I haven't had any issues (except when drying small stamps), but I rub the stamp and the block on my pants before sticking them together. I also press firmly for about 10 seconds before inking up my stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:35 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Great thread! I bought one of the clear mount sets and wasn't happy - so I ordered my SAB sets in wood mount. I'll try some of these tips and see if that helps - thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I love SU, have mainly Su, but can't believe they are putting out something we have to go to so much trouble to use. I don't have trouble with other companies rubber mounts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 08:05 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

The first time I went to use a stamp it fell off.. then I read the instructions and it said to press down for a few seconds.. works like a charm now.

interesting to read the different things others are doing.

~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this sounds silly, and it may have only been a fluke that it worked, but since it works by static cling and mine weren't clinging, I rubbed the stamp on my hair (like you do to a balloon to get it to stick to the wall). It added an extra bit of static and the stamp stuck to the block. I could even shake the block and it didn't fall off.
ETA: I think I'll have to find a piece of fake fur to rub my stamps on instead of my hair. If I stamp too long I'll end up coming out of my room looking like Einstein or Don King.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am another lover of the SU clear mount stamps. It is all I will be ordering from now on. I have had no problems with the stamps sticking to the blocks.

blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I haven't had problems with them sticking either, but my demo has. We tried all the tips here to make it stick for her(one set in particular), and nothing worked. I wonder if there were just some bad batches of the cling. Like I said, I have the same set and it works for me, but not hers. I told her to take some Aileen's Tack it Over and Over and put that on the back of those particular stamps, and told her I wouldn't rat her out to SU for using it. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I had great luck with the clear mount right from the start and couldn't figure out what was going on when others were having such difficulties. I even put the image stickers on all of mine and didn't trim. BUT THEN...yesterday I went to stamp with my Good Neighbors set, which had previously worked like a charm for me, and the stamps would not stay on at all. I was so frustrated!!!

Luckily I calmed down enough to remember some tips from other discussions on this topic and I cleaned off the sticker/cling side of the stamp (I always wipe fingerprints off of my blocks before mounting so I knew that part was fine). Once I wiped off the sticker/cling with a microfiber cloth dampened with water all those little stamps stuck to the blocks good and tight again. I evidently had gotten dust, fingerprints, or whatever on the backs of my clear mount stamps and that interfered with the cling.

Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

I can't recall where I heard this tip but it has worked for me. When placing the stamp on the block, press in the center of the image using the pad of your thumb. It supposedly creates a better seal. Don't know if it is true, but my stamps haven't moved at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 10:21 AM   #31  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I love SU, have mainly Su, but can't believe they are putting out something we have to go to so much trouble to use. I don't have trouble with other companies rubber mounts.
Personally, I have had NO trouble so it's not everyone and I don't really think it's "too much trouble" but that's just my opinion. Really, they are not permanently mounted so I don't expect them to cling like SUPER well. I do know the stickers don't cling as well as just the regular foam but like I said, I need those stickers!

Also, remember that this is something new, so maybe there are some kinks to work out as well and like someone else mentioned maybe there have been some bad batches too.

I'm also with the poster who said something along the lines of having the images printed right on the foam and not even have the sticker. Could be an option maybe?

As for me I'm drinking the clear mount kool-aid:-) I really like the space saving aspect and the cases line up so neatly being all the same size...great for OCD I tell ya!

Hope you get yours to stick better! happy stamping!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

I use tons of clear stamps (and unmounted clings) that I don't have to "press hard" or "hold for 20 sec" to get them to stay on. If that's what's required of the SU unmounted stamps, NO THANKS. Something's wrong if that's what you have to do. I don't own any yet, but I am reading this thread with interest before I buy them.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #33  

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
I use tons of clear stamps (and unmounted clings) that I don't have to "press hard" or "hold for 20 sec" to get them to stay on. If that's what's required of the SU unmounted stamps, NO THANKS. Something's wrong if that's what you have to do. I don't own any yet, but I am reading this thread with interest before I buy them.
Personally, this is not been MY experience. 20 seconds or whatever is ri-dunc-u-lous to me too. I don't press hard I don't think, just firmly. I dunno, maybe I just got a good batch (or a LOT of good batches since I have way too many, haha) but really all of mine stay really well without a lot of effort on my part. I havn't used others so I really can't compare, I just know I'm pleased with mine. It's very interesting to see what everyone thinks for sure!

Again, this is sort of a new venture for SU so I'm sure they are learning as they go kind of like we all are too! I will say I'm really happy they have given us unmounted as an option though, really cool to be able to choose your style!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I agree totally! They shouldn't be falling off at all. Stamps from other companies don't. That said, I am buying the clear mount mainly because I'm always looking to save money. If it's a big problem I may be ordering less from SU. I'll give them a try and hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KjppView Post
DUH! and YAY!!! That is EXACTLY what I was doing. DUH me! Now it's holding on perfectly!!!! Thank you!
Glad it helped!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I agree totally! That said, I am buying the clear mount mainly because I'm always looking to save money. If it's a big problem I may be ordering less from SU. I'll give them a try and hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #37  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I have several sets and here's what I've found for getting them to cling and helping them cling better.

Now don't freak out on me... but use a small amount of alcohol on the cling and the block only ((NOT ON THE RUBBER)). I put a little alcohol on a piece of tissue or paper towel and really clean my block and my cling material (and I do use the image sticker). It cleans off any oil residue and allows the material to cling. I've also tried it with a bit of windex and this works well too. The stampin mist does not help! Water isn't bad but the alcohol works best. As long as I don't get my fingers on the back of the stamp or the block they stay "sticky" pretty long.

Now just to reiterate, you don't want the alcohol on the rubber part bc it will eventually dry out your rubber. And, you only need enough alcohol to clean off the oils from the sticker and block.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for all the great tips everyone! For years I've been asking SU! (and my customers have been asking me) when SU would be going to clear stamps. I was OVERJOYED when they finally came out with their Clear Mount sets. I too love not spending so much money, and I love the small storage space. But in the last year I've gotten into PTI and I love the way their Clear stamps stick to my blocks. I was just a little more than disappointed to have my rubber stamps not do the same. I'm thinkin' it must be the sticker that keeps it from working (since I have other unmounted rubber stamps that work just fine). I'll keep all these tips in mind the next time I pull out my stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

It's the sticker that's the issue. I found that when I don't put the sticker on the stamp when "mounting" then the stamp sticks fine. If I used the sticker, it didn't stick worth a flip, unless I cleaned the block EVERY SINGLE TIME I used it (not happening), made sure to NOT touch the "sticky" part of the stamp or the block where I was putting the stamp, AND pressed the stamp firmly into the block for about ten seconds. Um, not happening. That's a total waste of time! And, those are steps I've never needed for any other brand.

My demo didn't seem to think there was an issue with the stamps when the sticker was on. It doesn't seem to bother her that they don't even stick to the DVD case and rattle around in there. Seems to me that over time that could damage the stamp, especially since you're not supposed to store your rubber stamps rubber side down. If you store the cases on their sides, chances are you're rubber side down when they fall off of the sides.

BTW, the stamps stick even better if you put the sticker on and then take it off. I discovered that after my stamp fell off the block a couple of times...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #40  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am NOT using the Sticker on my SU stamps. I'm just use to using Unmounted Rubber stamps with just the Cling foam with the Rubber stamp attached.

I took my Sticker and placed it in the Plastic Case.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes