Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Default SU Classic vs. TAC Dye Pads

Hi,

I just bought all the SU Classic pads used. Then I was reading the TAC catalog and it said their dye pads are fade resistant and good for scrapping. Are the TAC dye pads really better than the SU Classic pads? Just wondering if I bought the wrong pads :(. I love the SU colors though.

-Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2006, 09:36 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TAC Palette Ink Pads are a hybrid ink which is a blend of dye and pigment inks (essentially a cross between SU Classic and Craft Inks). I wouldn't say they are "better" because all inks have their pros and cons but the Palettes are very versatile. I absolutely LOVE the Noir (black). It is a rich, true black that is waterproof (so you can use watercolor pencils, etc without it smearing). TAC sells them in 4 packs of spots as well as large pads and reinkers. The spots are a great way to try them out.

I own several different kinds of inks (including SU and TAC) and I use them all for different things. Variety is the spice of life and a girl can't have too many inks!

-Joyce (an equal opportunity stamper!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Original poster here. I'm talking about the TAC dye inks, not the palette inks. The TAC -manufactured dye inks. I know the Palette inks are hybrid, but the TAC inks are plain old dye.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry, I misunderstood. I don't think they sell those anymore and I don't have any experience with them so can't offer you a comparison.

-Joyce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2006, 03:01 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Hey JOYCE!! :grin: You are right! The TAC inks were discontinued last year when Palette came out with these new types of inks. The colors were very similiar to ours, but, because they were newer and supposedly "better" they just sold more.

I do have some of the old style inks and was very happy with those as well. But, since you can't even buy them anymore, I guess it's mute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2006, 05:53 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Love, love, love hybrid palette inks, but yup I noticed in the TAC catalog that they no longer had their inks. Last I heard though, they were having problems with the manufacturing of them anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

You can use your SU! ink in scrapbooks just fine! I have my own books that are 5+ years old with no fading at all! I know there are other demos who have had their book even longer with no issues! Feel free to use your inks in your scrapbooks without worry.

The reason dye inks aren't the BEST product is because the ink soaks into the paper. Pigment inks sit on TOP of the paper. I think the issue some people might have with dye inks are because hypothetically the ink could soak in and then fade over time? Regardless, *I* don't use craft ink all that much and I haven't had any issues.

Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

I think you bought just the right pads! I agree that SU recommends craft for scrapbooks, but I have had absolutely no fading with my dye inks. Sometimes I use chalk inks when I want a quick drying opague look. I have no patience with craft ink drying time. I don't always want to emboss everything either, so I use the SU dye inks or chalk inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofoneson
Love, love, love hybrid palette inks, but yup I noticed in the TAC catalog that they no longer had their inks. Last I heard though, they were having problems with the manufacturing of them anyway.
They actually were having fits with the manufacturer of the TAC Chalk inks...they had to pull them several times and I know they replaced countless pads for customers. I think that's why everyone was excited to see the VersaMagic pads in the new catty (even though typically demos cringe at ink replacements!! :mrgreen: ).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

SU dye ink is extremely prone to fading IF exposed to light. I left a scrapbook open on a table when we left for vacation. When we returned 8 days later, those 2 pages were very ruined. Also, those who make cards will tell you that if they display cards for very long, certain colors will fade very much IF exposed to light. If you rarely look at your scrapbooks over the years, you should be fine. Just know you should never, ever leave them lying open at all.
The TAC inks are supposed to not fade even under these conditions so they might be the safest bet, but I have no personal experience with them on which to base an opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleQueen50
SU dye ink is extremely prone to fading IF exposed to light. I left a scrapbook open on a table when we left for vacation. When we returned 8 days later, those 2 pages were very ruined. Also, those who make cards will tell you that if they display cards for very long, certain colors will fade very much IF exposed to light. If you rarely look at your scrapbooks over the years, you should be fine. Just know you should never, ever leave them lying open at all.
The TAC inks are supposed to not fade even under these conditions so they might be the safest bet, but I have no personal experience with them on which to base an opinion.
I have a bunch of cards out in a display rack (open no packaging) some of them have been in there for more than a month with no fading. I have even more on a bulletine board. Did you have your book by a window maybe in direct sunlight? I have yet to see colored cardstock of any brand not fade in direct sunlight, but haven't had any problems with ink.

I've been using SU products (mostly dye inks) for more than 2 years and haven't seen any of my stuff fade so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 08:54 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

The TAC inks from retired cattys were dye based inks, just like SU's but made by a different manufacturer. They were the same as the Memories brand, just repackaged. These are no longer sold by TAC.

The dye inks (classic pads) are not permanent. That is the big difference between a classic/dye and a craft/pigment. Permanent means waterproof, non fading. Your dye ink will run if it gets wet. Hence the reason you can "paint" with it. It WILL fade if exposed to sunlight. It doesn't matter who manufactures it! Dye ink is dye ink! If you want something that can withstand the water (for painting in color, or safety in humid areas for scrapping, etc.) then go with a craft/pigment ink.

I personally LOVE Palettes. I have replaced my dye ink with them. I can stamp on anything, I don't HAVE to heat set it, and they dry pretty quickly. They are vibrant colors and even the white shows up on dark cardstock! Yay! LOL! I have tried so many brands and I am sticking with these. But, that is because they work for me in what I do.

You have to know what you want out of a pad to decide. I don't paint with my ink pads, so this is the best option for me! I hope this helps explain stuff a bit.

I think The Rubber Stamper Magazine had an ink chart that explains all the different inks and compares them. It was in a the mag a few issues ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2006, 04:39 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I will only use craft/pigment ink in my scrapbooks besides palettes of course. I just love Brilliance inks. They are wonderful. I bought a set of 8 colors with reinkers several months ago and just found them. They are phenomenal inks. I am also buying 2 sets of SU craft spots on the 4th (stamp club). I love the SU whisper white craft ink.
Reply With Quote Likes